PDA

View Full Version : RHOD w/ 2 players

Axinian
2010-03-27, 12:40 AM
Is it possible to run a fun Red hand of Doom campaign with only two fairly unoptimized players? I'm probably going to have three players, but the third is unconfirmed at the moment. What do the playgrounders suggest to make it feasible just in case there are only two? They have not picked classes yet, so suggestions in that regard are welcome.

Eurus
2010-03-27, 12:44 AM
I don't know much about RHoD, but for small groups, making them gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltcharacters.htm) helps - although gestalt characters really aren't all that much tougher than regular characters unless you really know what you're doing, they let smaller groups cover more options. So instead of just ending up with a mage and a tank at best, you can actually have most of your party roles covered.

imperialspectre
2010-03-27, 12:47 AM
Not a chance in hell. RHoD features a lot of encounters that are based on the characters' endurance and ability to fight large groups of enemies. You can't really do that with 2 characters.

Draz74
2010-03-27, 12:53 AM
RHoD does emphasize endurance a lot, it's true. But some builds have a lot of endurance, even if they're not very optimized. (Dragonfire Adepts, Warlocks, Crusaders ...) I'm sure it's possible to make pair of gestalt characters (of the normal levels) who can handle RHoD with only a twinge of optimization.

No optimization, though? Probably going to be in big trouble. Three gestalt characters might still be ok, though.

AslanCross
2010-03-27, 12:59 AM
If you've got two players, you could try having them run multiple characters instead. I find that's a better option than allowing them to gestalt (Gestalt characters may be much stronger and have more options, but they're still screwed by action economy) or giving them DMPC/NPC lackeys. That's what I did until I got more players.

Axinian
2010-03-27, 01:13 AM
No optimization, though? Probably going to be in big trouble. Three gestalt characters might still be ok, though.
Not necessarily no optimization, but their characters probably won't exactly be rated highly in char-op boards either.

@Aslancross: Interesting. Probably more fun for them than including a DMPC like I was planning.
I'm probably going to gestalt them regardless , since that seems to be the prevailing opinion.

(Man I hope that third player can make it)

Kylarra
2010-03-27, 01:18 AM
Have them put druid on the other side of their gestalts. Free fighters for everyone!