PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Totemist & Manufactured Weapons?

SanjiWatsuki
2010-03-27, 02:31 PM
With Girallon Arms, I effectively have 4 claws, however the text in the soulmeld I can use it to add 3 secondary attacks after attacking with a weapon.

What would be the penalty to my to-hit on the weapon if I were to use this combination to swing a weapon and use 3 claw attacks? Is there even a penalty because it is the primary attack?

AbyssKnight
2010-03-27, 02:33 PM
Manufactured weapons are always primary. All natural attacks become secondary, even if normally they would be primary. This is from Manufactured Weapons in the back of the Monster Manual.

So you would make your normal full attack with the weapon with no penalty, then 3 claws at highest BAB -5.

SanjiWatsuki
2010-03-27, 02:43 PM
Manufactured weapons are always primary. All natural attacks become secondary, even if normally they would be primary. This is from Manufactured Weapons in the back of the Monster Manual.

So you would make your normal full attack with the weapon with no penalty, then 3 claws at highest BAB -5.

Alright, thank you very much. Looks like I've finally finalized my low level Totemist. =)

Keld Denar
2010-03-27, 08:29 PM
I always wondered how multiple claw soulmelds stacked with each other. Like, if you bound Giralon Claws and Sphinx Claws to your Totem using Double Chakra Bind, you get 2 claws for 1d8 and 4 claws for 1d4.

A) Is this even legal?

B) How would this look?

AbyssKnight
2010-03-27, 08:50 PM
Nothing prevents you using them together (one is arms slot, the other hands slot) as long as you can double bind to your Totem Chakra.

Well, Girallon's Arms make your normal hands into claws, then creates two new arms that also have claws.

Sphinx Claws make you normal hands into claws.

So, I would say you only have 4 claw attacks, 2 doing 1d8 and 2 doing 1d4.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-27, 10:24 PM
Nothing prevents you using them together (one is arms slot, the other hands slot) as long as you can double bind to your Totem Chakra.

Well, Girallon's Arms make your normal hands into claws, then creates two new arms that also have claws.

Sphinx Claws make you normal hands into claws.

So, I would say you only have 4 claw attacks, 2 doing 1d8 and 2 doing 1d4.

Actually, I recommend that they have the option of which claws to use (think like a cat with an extra set of lesser claws behind the stronger ones). So one set does 1d8/Claw, but only two claws, and the other is 1d4/claw, but with four claws.

Things get weird when you try to account for Kruthik Claws though, as by RAW it gives the acid damage to all of them. Also, comparing the damage output of Girallon Arms/Landshark Boots to the Manticore Belt reveals that limiting the number of claw attacks puts the Arms/Boots behind the Belt. Allowing at least those claw attacks to stack (up to 6 attacks) evens it out. It doesn't really need it if you use Totem Rager though.

SanjiWatsuki
2010-03-28, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I was a Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Totemist 2 at the time and decided to try and avoid the whole conflict by working off the Dragon Tail and Jaws of Death feats. Primary one-handed weapon, 3 secondary attacks in a full attack from Girallon Arms, Bite from Jaws of Death, end with the Dragon Tail (not from Soulmeld since that won't continue the combo).