PDA

View Full Version : world building help

Battlechemist
2010-03-27, 06:52 PM
I was going to build a new world, complete with new rules. Here is what i got
so far:

In the world of (yet to be named) everything was peaceful. however, one word spread quickly one fateful day; MAGIC. the worlds first mage was born, having discovered a natural phenomenon. his discovery brought new light on how much of the world worked. magic followed 3 simple rules:
1.Magic seeks to return to it's natural form
2.No matter can be created nor destroyed
3.magics use is based on words of power
In response to this the god(s) gave those not affiliated with magic divine power to keep magi in check, and the religous started a new governing body.

Basically, magic would work thusly:
you would be given "words" as you level which could be used to construct new spells, for example, lightning + arc = bolt of lightning fired from hand. you would be given a set of rules to follow, and if you were caught breaking them without good cause, the church would come after you.

Divine power would work thusly:
you would gain edicts as you level up, which would place restrictions on magic around you. for example, "Bob issues the edict summer's heat, which negates cold based magic.

Martial classes would be changed, for example, the fighter class would be able to choose a path for class features

however i have run into some stumbling blocks and have turned to you the giantitp crew, to help hammer out the details of the project. anyone is free to help, though i leave it to you to determine how much.

Zexion
2010-03-27, 07:22 PM
you would be given "words" as you level which could be used to construct new spells, for example, lightning + arc = bolt of lightning fired from hand. you would be given a set of rules to follow, and if you were caught breaking them without good cause, the church would come after you.

You need a way to balance this power.

Zellic Solis
2010-03-28, 12:01 AM
Yeah. After all why wouldn't 'lightning' by itself be enough to hit some one with a bolt of lightning from the sky like natural?

Knaight
2010-03-28, 12:07 AM

Divine power would work thusly:
you would gain edicts as you level up, which would place restrictions on magic around you. for example, "Bob issues the edict summer's heat, which negates cold based magic.

Martial classes would be changed, for example, the fighter class would be able to choose a path for class features

however i have run into some stumbling blocks and have turned to you the giantitp crew, to help hammer out the details of the project. anyone is free to help, though i leave it to you to determine how much.

On Words, I would advise a noun-verb system. Think Ars Magica, or the 4 by 5 Fudge system, or other similar styles.

As for divine magic, that would probably also work well.

Martial classes could probably do with a Talent type of system, as in SEGA edition.

All of this would be easier to do in a non D&D system anyways.