PDA

View Full Version : Exapnding Spell List Feats

Coy
2010-03-28, 11:03 AM
I've been looking at ways of expanding spell lists. Primarily, i want to incorporate some combat effectiveness/utility spells given by feats, with the spell lists of classes where spelll known = spell list, such as beguiler and warmage.

I would hope to do it without multiclassing, or prestiging into something cheesy like rainbow s. But how effective are the feat choices?

Arcane Disciple is a valid option. But what domains really stand out for spell selection?

What ways are there of incorporating initiate feats into arcane casters?

LM's Necrotic Cyst spells look interesting, but any1 have any experience with them? And what is the use of vile typed damage?

Taking into account both combat and utility, any other options?

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-28, 01:48 PM
Arcane Disciple is a valid option. But what domains really stand out for spell selection?
War is Nice. Divine Might is handy. Magic. Most that you'd take as a cleric will be handy.

What ways are there of incorporating initiate feats into arcane casters?
What are those feats from?

LM's Necrotic Cyst spells look interesting, but any1 have any experience with them? And what is the use of vile typed damage?
I've used it. If your clever, then they can be powerful. Reach Spell helps a lot. Put cysts in everything. Team mates, trained rats, strangers, BBEGs, People you intend to turn into zombies or other fleshy undead. Everything. It will make scrying on them easy, and if they try to cut it out, then it may kill them. You'll need to find a way to bump up the DC on the level 1 spell, but that isn't hard to do at all.

Taking into account both combat and utility, any other options?

Cerebrosis, from Dragon Mag 330. It adds summons, field control and even a teleport spell. The cost is high though, and it is risky, but it pays off in the end.

Side note: Heroes of Horror also has a feat that adds a bunch of spells, but they suck, and you end up having to take two or three to get them.

Alot of the Heritage feats also add a few spells. Most are solid.

One of the Eberron books has an item called a Drake Helm, that can add up to 4 spells from any list to what you can cast.

Thurbane
2010-03-28, 09:14 PM
Dragon Magazine Compendium has some heritage feats for spontaneous casters, which add 1 spell/spell level (1 through 9) to your known spells. Some are better than others, and are thematically based on the heritage type.

A dip into Sand Shaper adds a bunch of spells to our list, and Fiend Blooded adds one every couple of levels...