PDA

View Full Version : What Should I do? [Player Problem 3.5]

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 05:56 PM
So I'm running a group and the Barbarian was put into negatives, after the battle The Wizard cast Darkness and then killed the Barbarian, he and the Fighter are claiming that the Barbarian tried to form an alliance with the Fighter and one of the Sorceresses to later betray and kill the group, which the fighter then went behind her back and informed the wizard, hence the double cross situation.

The Sorceress is being put up by the Barbarian's player to try to get the group against the Fighter and Wizard and the Barbarian resurrected, so next session should be entertaining since now they've completely derailed the campaign route.

So what should I do? Intervene before they kill each other or watch the magic while working on a back up campaign? :smallconfused:

Saph
2010-03-28, 06:02 PM
Depends on how mature they are. If they can handle IC conflict while still staying friends OOC then go for it. PvP episodes are often remembered afterwards as some of the most memorable parts of a campaign.

I'm generally of the opinion that the players should have as much freedom as possible. It's their story, not yours. If they choose to play out a story about a dysfunctional group killing each other, then hey, it works for horror movies. :smalltongue:

If the IC fighting has an OOC component, though, then things start getting more difficult. Unfortunately in these situations someone will usually end up unhappy no matter what you do.

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 06:04 PM
For the most part I'm sure they can survive friendships, except the Barbarian and Fighter constantly have hating periods with each other.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-28, 06:06 PM
So I'm running a group and the Barbarian was put into negatives, after the battle The Wizard cast Darkness and then killed the Barbarian, he and the Fighter are claiming that the Barbarian tried to form an alliance with the Fighter and one of the Sorceresses to later betray and kill the group, which the fighter then went behind her back and informed the wizard, hence the double cross situation.

The Sorceress is being put up by the Barbarian's player to try to get the group against the Fighter and Wizard and the Barbarian resurrected, so next session should be entertaining since now they've completely derailed the campaign route.

So what should I do? Intervene before they kill each other or watch the magic while working on a back up campaign? :smallconfused:

Why would he cast Darkness?
Darkness doesn't blind anyone it just causes 20% miss chance from shadowy illumination?

The Wizard can't harm him with that spell. I'm lost...

Saph
2010-03-28, 06:09 PM
For the most part I'm sure they can survive friendships, except the Barbarian and Fighter constantly have hating periods with each other.

Then I guess ultimately it comes down to whether the players seem to be having fun or not. If they are, everything's great. If not, things are more tricky and you'll have to figure out what best to do.

Sorry to not be any more specific, but these things depend heavily on the exact relationships between the players. If everything is working out, though, you can just go ahead with running the campaign, watch the fireworks, then pick up where things leave off once the dust settles.

Evard
2010-03-28, 06:12 PM
If the players all want this then let them do it but eventually this might get old and you need to put your foot down and say enough.

And wait why doesn't fighter/wizard kill the sorceress after killing the barbarians?

Wizard can counterspell anything the sorceress uses and the fighter can well make smooshies of her

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 06:12 PM
Why would he cast Darkness?
Darkness doesn't blind anyone it just causes 20% miss chance from shadowy illumination?

The Wizard can't harm him with that spell. I'm lost...

He cast Darkness to cover the fact he was killing the Barbarian.
He used Shocking Grasp.

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 06:14 PM
If the players all want this then let them do it but eventually this might get old and you need to put your foot down and say enough.

And wait why doesn't fighter/wizard kill the sorceress after killing the barbarians?

Wizard can counterspell anything the sorceress uses and the fighter can well make smooshies of her

They're letting the Sorceress live because she wasn't the mastermind of the plot and a new player, just a pawn.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-28, 06:16 PM
Again, Darkness doesn't block vision anymore.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm

What edition are guys playing?

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 06:18 PM
Again, Darkness doesn't block vision anymore.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm

What edition are guys playing?

Sorry should clarify more, using Paizo's Pathfinder 3.5

Emmerask
2010-03-28, 06:41 PM
I'm generally of the opinion that the players should have as much freedom as possible. It's their story, not yours. If they choose to play out a story about a dysfunctional group killing each other, then hey, it works for horror movies. :smalltongue:

I disagree here my campaign is my story but then again my campaigns are not player centered at all so my story continues no matter if the players go fishing for a year or killing each other off. Sure their actions do influence the overall story and campaign world but itīs far away from being their story :smallwink:

Anyway on the should I intervene part:
if you donīt have a problem with it and the other players donīt have either then let it continue otherwise stop it.

JGoldenberg
2010-03-28, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the input

I disagree here my campaign is my story but then again my campaigns are not player centered at all so my story continues no matter if the players go fishing for a year or killing each other off. Sure their actions do influence the overall story and campaign world but itīs far away from being their story :smallwink:

I quite agree with you, they may be the main characters but it's not like the world will stop just because they lose interest. I can always make an npc adventuring team replace them. :smallamused: