PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Bard Build

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-30, 09:02 AM
Sooo…I’m joining a higher level game my friends are playing. These friends have odd ideas about power level and have declared bards to be absolutely worthless. A quick check into the current folks in the party include:

1) A tripping fighter…using a greatsword…who is reputedly the damage monster of the party...
2) A paladin who doesn’t use his mount and didn’t take an ACF for it
3) A mystic theurge with no tricks who thinks fireball is best spell ever (granted it is fun)
4) A druid (played by a reputed “minmaxer” who thinks an epic rogue can take an epic wizard…)
5) An effigy master

Looking at the above party, I’ve decided that not only would playing a decent bard show them that they’re flat-out wrong about their assessment of the class, but could significantly increase their power level. Here’s my basic plan for the build:

BASIC RULES:
All books are allowed, with DM approval. Avoiding ToB, MoI, and ToM because of the DM’s general skittishness around those books.

Straight Bard…I’m not going to take another class. Not going to give them an excuse as to why my character is effective.

Making no magic item/wealth assumptions. The group is remarkably stingy about item wealth. Like, really bad. And getting stuff you actually want? Ha…hahaha…yeah no.

Race: Silverbrow Human (I like the fluff, the feats, and dragon-blooded gives me access to DFI)

Feats:
Lvl 1: Dragonfire Inspiration
Human Bonus: Melodic Casting

Level 3: Song of the Heart

Level 6: Snowflake Wardance

Level 9: Lingering Song

This is fairly basic. DFI will give the melee hitters a lot to hit with, lingering song means I won’t have to stand in the back, and Snowflake Wardance will make me an effective infighter after buffs are up.

Spell Choices: (This is where I’m having trouble)
0 – Ghost Sound, Mending, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Songbird, Detect Magic
1 – Inspirational Boost, Grease, Hideous Laughter, Silent Image
2 – Bladweave, Glitterdust, Whirling Blade, Mirror Image
3 – Haste, Glibness, Dispel Magic

NB: I have read the Bard’s Handbook, so I know the basics.

Anything I’m doing wrong, anything I missed for the obvious? I’m planning on taking Words of Creation at 12, by which point it hopefully will not overpower us, but we’ll see. Thanks for the help!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-30, 09:12 AM
Forget dealing damage yourself, get Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), Obtain Familiar, and Improved Familiar, and only grant your Inspire Courage to yourself and your pets. Get a Krenshar for your Familiar since it has three attacks/round, and a Fleshraker for your Wild Cohort. Take two Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) to get enough feats if you have to. I'd also try to get Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) and Craft Wondrous Item to be sure you get the right items, and since that 10% XP bonus for Item Familiar can be used for crafting so you won't fall behind. Use either a bow or a whip, since Inspire Courage will work on them just fine and you won't need to invest any feats in them.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-30, 03:39 PM
Forget dealing damage yourself, get Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), Obtain Familiar, and Improved Familiar, and only grant your Inspire Courage to yourself and your pets. Get a Krenshar for your Familiar since it has three attacks/round, and a Fleshraker for your Wild Cohort. Take two Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) to get enough feats if you have to. I'd also try to get Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) and Craft Wondrous Item to be sure you get the right items, and since that 10% XP bonus for Item Familiar can be used for crafting so you won't fall behind. Use either a bow or a whip, since Inspire Courage will work on them just fine and you won't need to invest any feats in them.

...I like the army idea. I don't think I will use it, because as fun as it sounds, it would make my DM hit me with heavy things (I'd rather not play a character that's all about me), but I'm filing this away for when I need to irritate someone.

Draz74
2010-03-30, 03:58 PM
1) A tripping fighter…using a greatsword…who is reputedly the damage monster of the party...
That's not necessarily a bad arrangement, if he has Knock-Down.

All books are allowed, with DM approval. Avoiding ToB, MoI, and ToM because of the DM’s general skittishness around those books.
Shame. :smallfrown: I love dipping some minor White Raven tricks with Bards.

Making no magic item/wealth assumptions. The group is remarkably stingy about item wealth. Like, really bad. And getting stuff you actually want? Ha…hahaha…yeah no.
Hmmm. Badge of Valor is so awesome, though, and so cheap. See if you can pick one up, even if you have to take the Craft Wondrous Item feat yourself! :smalltongue:

Race: Silverbrow Human (I like the fluff, the feats, and dragon-blooded gives me access to DFI)
This is good.

Feats:
Lvl 1: Dragonfire Inspiration
Human Bonus: Melodic Casting
Level 3: Song of the Heart
Level 6: Snowflake Wardance
Level 9: Lingering Song

Looks good except for Lingering Song, which is totally unnecessary.

First of all, after spending a standard action to begin a Song of Courage, you are free to continue singing (as a de facto free action) and fight all you like thereafter. There is a common misconception that all bard songs require your standard action to maintain, but the books say this nowhere (except for bardic music effects that require concentration, but those tend to be the noncombat ones anyway). You can't normally cast while continuing to sing, but Melodic Casting takes care of that.

Even if your DM houserules that your Bard can't fight and continue singing (which, right there, proves that RAW Bards are better than he thinks they are), 5 rounds is a pretty good amount of time to finish up a combat, so I wouldn't bother with Lingering Song. You'd probably be better off with Extra Music, in this case.

Spell Choices: (This is where I’m having trouble)
Looks pretty good to me, except:

You're probably not the best one in the party to be using Dispel Magic.
Improvisation (Level 1 spell from Spell Compendium) is a must.

One other problem: your group may be likely to say that Dragonfire Inspiration, rather than Bard, is where your power comes from. But that's life.

Glimbur
2010-03-30, 04:04 PM
Is Lingering Song really necessary? You can keep singing while you do other things, and with Melodic Casting which you have you can cast while singing. Extra Music isn't bad, but 9 uses a day might be enough depending on how many different kinds of music you intend to use. I'm not sure what else to recommend here.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-30, 04:08 PM
If getting/affording magical items for yourself...when you get a chance perform for gold..I know its a duh...but simply gets you somewhere where your party cannot go. Also your build looks excellent.

Draz74
2010-03-30, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure what else to recommend here.

Yeah, I'm not sure Extra Music is a good idea, just that it's better than Lingering Song.

Other ideas include:

Craft Wondrous Item, as mentioned earlier
Draconic Aura (senses) - it's like taking Alertness and half of Improved Initiative, for the whole party, in one feat. And it will scale up when you get to Levels 13 and 20.
Captivating Melody
Weapon Finesse ... meh, probably not (and definitely not if you can get a Feycraft weapon)
Knowledge Devotion, if you're prepared to invest a lot of skill ranks in it
Obtain Familiar
Sculpt Spell (note: if you take several metamagics, the Metamagic Song feat eventually becomes amazing)

The Glyphstone
2010-03-30, 04:23 PM
One other problem: your group may be likely to say that Dragonfire Inspiration, rather than Bard, is where your power comes from. But that's life.

Despite that only bards can get Dragonfire Inspiration...if they do say this, tell the Fighter that he's useless because he doesn't do any damage, his sword does.:smallbiggrin:

Definitely drop Lingering Song to start with Words of Creation. Craft Wondrous Item should be your 12th level feat.

Splendor
2010-03-30, 04:28 PM
0: Detect Magic (V), Light (VM), Mending (VS), Presti (VS), Detect Crossroads, Message (VSF)

First level
Cure Light (VS): Always nice to be able to heal a little

Loresong (1 min cast, 1rd/lv, allows you to use any skill, even untrained with a +4 bonus +1/2 lvs) - Nice for open lock or Knowledge checks you don't have.

Inspirational Boost (VS) (swift +1 on bardic inspire)

Nystul’s Magic Aura (no nothing on me radiates magic, duration 1day/lv)

Second Level
Alter Self (VS)(10 min/lv) (Tren +8 NA & swim 40, Avarial 50 fly speed.)

Circle Dance (VS) (1min cast) (Gives direction & condition of known creature, don't really need track anymore now)

Reveille VS (1 rd cast, 5rds duration, Cast on dead creature that tells you; 1:Last thing it saw before it died, 2:dying wish, 3:attack that killed it, 4:who killed it, 5:why it believes it was killed)

Tongues (VM, 10 min/Lv) (Yes We can speak each others language)

Third Level
Charm Monster (VS) (Make an ally out of that elder earth elemental)

Glibness (S) 10 min/Lv - Yes now I can really lie

Dispel Magic (VS) - Your Caster level is still your full level so you can dispel

Phantom Steed (VS, 10 min cast, 1 hr/lv) Free horse and may be able to fly for hours depending on level

Fourth Level
Break Enchantment (VS, 1 min) - Always good for getting others out of problems

Dimension Door (V, Long) - I flee

Feats
First: Luck of Hero's (+1 saves & AC)
Human: Dragonfire Inspiration
Flaw: (Arcane Parasites): Extra Music (+4 bardic music uses)
Flaw: (Poor Reflexes): Melodic Casting
3rd Level: Wp Finesse
6th Level: Song of the Heart
9th Level: Leadership

At 9th level 1st round of combat you cast Inspirational Boost (swift action) and inspire courage. Everyone gets +4 to hit and damage (+1 from Inspirational boost, +1 from song of heart, +2 for 8th level bard).

If you have a 18 dex by that level, you'll have a +15 to hit (+6 base, +4 moral bonus from inspire, +4 dex, and +1 from atleast a masterwork weapon).

If you use Dragonfire Inspiration instead of the inspire courage this grants allies +4d6 fire damage (which is great as long as enemies arn't immune to fire)

Now I know you said you didn't want magic items, but: Crystal Echo Harmonizing Blade. Crystal Echo adds 1/2 your bard level to damage when singing, and Harmonizing grants +6 perform & allows your weapon to keep your bardic music going for a number of rounds equal to your CHR modifier AND if you start singing before those 4 rounds run out it doesn't cost you another bardic music ability. Cost: 10,310 gp (but you'll need it be a short sword or a rapier to work with wp finesse, it's normally a long sword)

El Dorado
2010-03-30, 10:08 PM
Message. Works well for subtle conversations as well as intraparty battlefield communication.

Displacement. The party looks like it's getting into the level range where miss chance matters more than AC. I highly recommend this as your fourth 3rd level spell.

Consider Improvisation instead of Hideous Laughter. You have Grease and Glitterdust for battlefield control. Improvisation adds a bit of versatility.

Good luck and have fun. I had a ton of fun playing my bard up to 13th level.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-30, 10:58 PM
Is Lingering Song really necessary?

One reason I was taking Lingering Song was to sing both DFI and Inspire Courage simultaneously, getting 10 rounds of these up ASAP. I'd throw up IC first turn while the party moved into position, DFI 2nd round and complete moving myself into position, then activate Snowflake Wardance, buff myself depending on the current situation, and then move into battle.

Obviously I'd alter this strategy based on opponents faced, but I'd like to throw down both important songs at once, and they do stack.

Arcane_Snowman
2010-03-30, 11:05 PM
Words of Creation. I have to echo this sentiment, Words of Creation is the bomb for Dragonfire Inspiration.

Evard
2010-03-30, 11:14 PM
Best bard I've ever seen? Lyrical Spell + Extra music (feats)

Lyrical spell = cast as a standard action a spell using up bardic music. Spell level +1 bardic music used to cast the spell.

Extra music = +4 bardic music (stacks)

You can fire off A LOT more spells with this! level 3 spell would cost 4 BM

You get 1 per level
+4 per feat (if you have flaws you will get even more)
Human = +1 more feat to use for this

Being able to cast dispel/haste all day long will be nice :D

Edit:
with no flaw @ lvl 18
4 (extra music) X 7 (feats) = 28 BM + 18 BM = 46 BM
46/7 = 6 extra level 6 spells
46/4 = 11 extra level 3 spells

SethFahad
2010-03-31, 01:08 AM
3) A mystic theurge with no tricks who thinks fireball is best spell ever (granted it is fun)

OMG!... be extra carefull with this type of player... it's a branded PC killer!!! :smalleek:

Ok, possible additions.
If you like the "buffer" concept:
Since you are qualified, consider Dragonsong feat. Buy Badge of Valor (1400gp).
Dip into Marshal PrC.

If you use Dragonfire Inspiration instead of the inspire courage this grants allies +4d6 fire damage (which is great as long as enemies arn't immune to fire)

Actually its cold damage.

sofawall
2010-03-31, 01:24 AM
Actually its cold damage.

Depending on draconic heritage, it could be sonic damage.

SethFahad
2010-03-31, 01:32 AM
Depending on draconic heritage, it could be sonic damage.

Sure. But thread starter said that he's Silverbrow...

Keld Denar
2010-03-31, 01:48 AM
Common misconception. Dragonfire Inspiration is fire by default for every dragonblooded race, regardless of decent. The only way to modify this is to take the Dragonic Herritage feat which requires either the Dragonblooded feat, or to be a half-dragon.

Just being a Silverbrow human alone isn't enough "dragon" to flavor your DFI toward anything other than fire.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-31, 02:54 AM
The Complete Adventurer has a section for Masterwork Instruments and gives added benefits to different bardic music effects depending on the instrument.

A Masterwork Drum increases the bonus on attack and damage by 1 while decreasing the bonus to saves vs. charm and fear by 1.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-31, 04:40 AM
Why not take Craft Wondrous Item?

Belt of Battle combined with Slippers of Battle Dancing is very useful, Circlet of Rapid Spellcasting also makes Harmonize (Races of Stone) useful.

TripperdeCleric
2010-03-31, 04:49 AM
Why not take Craft Wondrous Item?

Belt of Battle combined with Slippers of Battle Dancing is very useful, Circlet of Rapid Spellcasting also makes Harmonize (Races of Stone) useful.

After spending the last 4 hours reading..yes Craft Wondrous would be very handy to you if you plan on beating those party members and proving a point.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-31, 05:00 AM
He'd still be mostly making his party members better, he could just cut down on buffing time and do a little more damage of his own.

Zanticor
2010-03-31, 07:20 AM
looking for third level bard spell? Might I suggest confusion? there is nothing more delicious that two of your enemies killing each other. This spell may lead to serious TPK when used on your party but the same goes for the enemy. When the hulking monster starts hitting the wizard and the wizard start punching back with his precious rod of quicken spell, is when most DM's trow the book at your.

Zanticor