PDA

View Full Version : guess that BBEG! answered!

Drevius
2010-03-31, 04:01 PM
So after finally just talking to my friend, my initial guess of a ghost using dmm cheese was correct, he is a 20 or so lvl cleric human ghost with a ludicrous amount of those reliquary holy symbols in the misc slot. He has high turn res and powerful level drain capabilities as well as amped up malevolence. So I guess strategies for this final showdown may be in order, that miracle scroll i have will come in handy after all.....as well as the 1 million gold reward i recieved for one of the more difficult main quests lol :smallcool:

Drevius
2010-03-31, 10:36 PM
aw nothing on killing ghosts? I mean I am going to miracle the ghost back to life but if that backfires.... no strategy contribution? I can think of a few things such as ghost trap, planar bubble positive energy plane, mass death ward and mind blank. Anything I am missing?

ryzouken
2010-03-31, 10:40 PM
the problem is, even if you discorporate a ghost, it will reform a day or so later. Keeping the bugger down will result in severing whatever tie the bugger has to the material plane.

if you were going to combat it, you're looking at taking on a cleric that can break rules of the game (as it's run by the GM). Taking on a cleric that is still bound by rules is challenging enough, but one that can fudge die rolls, use illegal feat selections, and perform random spells that no one has ever heard of?

You put ranks in diplomacy, right?

Shalist
2010-03-31, 11:37 PM
I'm assuming you're a party of level 1 gully dwarf commoners, limited only to core books, with 8s for all your stats? If I'm wrong, feel free to say so :P

I'd recommend:
-Going to the ethereal plain and tossing it in a "bag of devouring (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#bagofDevouring)" (Debatably an awesome way to keep something dead.)
-trapping his soul in any number of ways (depending on your resources)
-doing some research (watch the first couple seasons of Supernatural for more details)
-(3) Spark of Life: Undead loses all of its undead immunities (SC 196) (will save, last rnd/lvl) (I'm sure there's some clever usage of this...perhaps one involving 'mind rape,' or 'domination' *shrug*)
-Ghost touch 'Helm of opposite alignment' and a bit of persistance.

----

And sure turning won't "kill" him permanently, but a little boostage in that department wouldn't hurt:

Phylactery of turning (head) +4 level
Sacred armor/shield +2 level each
Divine energy focus (feat) +2 level +2 damage +2 check
Greater holy symbol (emp. turn feat) +2d6 damage -2 check
Nightstick 4 extra turning attemps
Extra turning feat 4 extra attempts
Improve turning feat +1 level
Sceptre of the netherworld +3 level
Rod of Defiance -4 turn resistance/
Ephod of Authority +1 level
Moonfriend ring +3 level (expedition ravenloft)
Lyre of Restful souls (15 perform dc) -4 turn resistance

----

(2) Light of Faith: 1/2 your CL as a sacred bonus to your next turn check (max 5)
(3) Light of Wisdom: +1 effective level / 3 CL's (doesn't affect turning damage, also, no upper limit)
(4) Light of Purity: Increase turning damage by 1d6 /4 CL's (max 5d6)
(6) Light of Courgae: All undead targeted by your turn take 1d8 damage (as in HP) / 2 CL (max 10d8), regardless of its success.

edit:

-Show it a 'mirror of opposition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#mirrorofOpposition),' sit back, and enjoy.

Strategos
2010-04-01, 12:03 AM
Firstly a question, what level is your party at the moment? By default such a creature would be CR 22 so if your not up around 17+ it would be pretty hard to take in a straight fight I'm guessing.

Hmm... we might be going about this the wrong way. Let's have a look at the SRD shall we?

Rejuvenation (Su)
In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Perhaps this is the way to deal with it, find out why it came back and give it resolution. Now, this being a BBEG it definitely won't be easy and would almost guaranteed that it will try and stop you from doing it. But it'll probably be easier than trying to take it out in a straight up fight.

If you are 17+, I've never played or ran games that ran to that high a level so I can't help you there sorry :smallfrown:.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-01, 02:38 AM
So after finally just talking to my friend, my initial guess of a ghost using dmm cheese was correct, he is a 20 or so lvl cleric human ghost with a ludicrous amount of those reliquary holy symbols in the misc slot. He has high turn res and powerful level drain capabilities as well as amped up malevolence. So I guess strategies for this final showdown may be in order, that miracle scroll i have will come in handy after all.....as well as the 1 million gold reward i recieved for one of the more difficult main quests lol :smallcool:Does this mean the characters are level 20 also?

If you haven't built your character yet, odd are you can still command him. I have the world record commanding build (190HD undead) if your interested.

*"Nothing says power like literally owning the BBEG." TM

*Warning: PMBC is not responsible for any damages caused from exteme DM retribution.

hewhosaysfish
2010-04-01, 06:49 AM
... a ludicrous amount of those reliquary holy symbols...

I'm not sure what makes a holy symbol a "reliquary" but I'm guessing it's some sort of handy magic item that gives plusses to his clerical abilities. So, I'm going to suggest you steal them.

AFAIK the main source of equipment for a ghost is the ghostly copies of the stuff he's buried with*. If it is removed from his grave, it will disappear from his ghostly form.

So have one of the more expendable brave members (or, better, an NPC) of the party dance about in the open preferably while polymorphed into a Destrachan and yelling "Look at me! I'm a Destrachan!". When the BBEG goes for the Destrachan, you run into his tomb and nick his stuff. All of it.

Even if the items are not strictly integral to his build, it should depower him a lot.

*Other possibilities include ghost-touch weapons and armour (which he can wear and carry normally**) and stuff that's been physically transferred to the Ethereal Plane. The former would be difficult to get away from him. So would the latter, to a certain extent, but going to the Ethereal Plane would stop him from using malevolence and allow you to stab him in the face.
**What's the carrying capacity of a creature with STR - ? :smallconfused:

Just_Ice
2010-04-01, 07:02 AM
I'd recommend:
-Going to the ethereal plain and tossing it in a "bag of devouring (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#bagofDevouring)" (Debatably an awesome way to keep something dead.)

Yeah, uh, it's got to be living matter for that to work.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-01, 07:32 AM
If there is a way to extend the duration of a Resiliant Sphere or Telekinetic Sphere, trap him in it so that you can loot the body and find his source. Unless the DM is trying to erase your characters he will have presented a way to permanently defeat the ghost, so you have to figure that out.

Remember [Force] Spells are your friend.

Farlion
2010-04-01, 08:10 AM
Have a Hunter of the Dead kill the Ghost. It should work.

Don't ask me how you get him to be killed by the HotD, but that class really screws your BBEG undeads.

Cheers,
Farlion

Drevius
2010-04-01, 04:10 PM
hmmm seems like spark of life is a good move, all of the turn items are good too, if a little meta gamey as the party doesn't actually know the BBEG is a ghost just yet. The status of our party is that we are around lvl 15-16 or so, our party consists of a wilder boom manifester, a twf fighter who blew all his money on really good weapons/armor enhancements, a cloistered cleric with insane knowledge/lore checks, me a druid and my cohort is a wizard/initiate of the 7 veils that is lvl 14 as of now. I have access to level 9 spells through scrolls fairly easily and a large pile of gold with which to buy items with in preparation to the fight. Essentially my DM said don't worry about killing him so much as accomplishing plot objectives which include holding out for around 10 minutes against the ghosts constant harassement. I guess best thing we can do is prepare defensively against him but I am always looking to go for an overkill on his BBEG. We MAY get another level before the fight gaining us access to 9th level spells (for some anyway). Also the campaign is based in Skuld, and most of us are worshipping the egyptian styled Gods, the BBEG is a ghost cleric of Anubis (or whoever is masquerading as him) most likely and won't be put to rest easily.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-01, 05:51 PM
If all you have to do is worry about holding him back for awhile, look into buying a few scrolls of forcecage and telekinetic sphere. He won't be able to escape unless he can dimension door (and, being a cleric, this isn't exactly likely).

Drevius
2010-04-01, 06:42 PM
yeah i think we can manage to hold him back with a combo of those telekinetic spheres/forcecage, oh and reliquary holy symbols (+3 turn attempts a day with certain feats and skills are taken) are what are fueling his Divine metamagic, not sure if he is persisting or using it for more damaging spells. Taking those off of his body wherever it is buried would severely hamper his abilities.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-02, 12:35 AM
Ghosts are much wide open on the ethereal plane. They lose manifestation (and hence incorporeality), which is pretty huge.