PDA

View Full Version : Orbiting Ray (PEACH)

Lysander
2010-03-31, 05:11 PM
Orbiting Ray
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until expended or 10 min./level

When you would otherwise be hit with a ray spell or spell-like ability the ray diverts and begins orbiting your body as a half-circle of light. A cumulative total of 1d4+6 spell levels can be diverted and stored this way.

As a standard action you may launch any one ray currently orbiting you at an enemy within range of that spell, using the original caster's level.

Those who stray too close may accidentally be hit by the rays even if you do not fire them. Anyone attacking from 5ft away or less runs a 25% chance of being hit by any particular ray on their turn and having the spell discharged on them. Roll 1d4 for each ray to determine how many rays hit them. Anyone grappling you runs a 50% chance per ray each turn.

Milskidasith
2010-03-31, 05:34 PM
So it's like spell turning, but with precision targeting and only for rays, at a lower level?

Seems balanced for its level.

Lysander
2010-03-31, 05:41 PM
It's both a defensive and offensive spell. It can protect you from enemy rays, but you could also have an ally shoot you to give you a spell and to protect you from melee attackers.

taltamir
2010-03-31, 06:29 PM
looks good to me...
its basically spell turning only 1 level lower, limited to rays only, and takes a standard action to return the spell (balanced by getting to choose who the new target is); plus hitting attackers.

issues:
1. you do add the ability of rays to hit other people though who are fighting you... the chances of hitting seems a bit high. its too close to you to hit someone merely standing near you, they have to be attacking you or grappling you. But at what pattern? if it revolves around you slowly then it shouldn't be an issue. if it revolves around you quickly in a set orbit then it should impose a to hit penalty OR the attacker risks getting hit.
not to mention that if the pattern is uniform you could be hit by it yourself if you move your hands too much; so it has to be actively avoiding you..
Also, unless someone is unarmed (or grappling you), it would be hitting their weapon, not them. So it should discharge on that.

I guess the pattern could be random and it could always avoid hitting you, or maybe even reactively seek out enemies who try to attack you.

balance-wise, i have no idea what that could do.

2. this can be stacked with spell turning itself to bounce back even more spells before running out

3. unlike spell turning, you haven't explained what happens when you have just enough levels left to partially capture a spell... you should list that.

DracoDei
2010-03-31, 08:18 PM
Having it not do anything in the case of partials actually "feels" more right to me... OTOH you could have it burn up all remaining levels for a chance equal to the ratio between the remaining levels on the Orbiting Ray and the level of the incoming ray.

Also, the name is the wrong idea... it isn't a ray it does things to Rays...
Better might be: Ray Orbiter, Capture Rays, or Smerg's Ray Catcher.

Sereg
2010-04-01, 09:33 AM
Also, the name is the wrong idea... it isn't a ray it does things to Rays...
Better might be: Ray Orbiter, Capture Rays, or Smerg's Ray Catcher.

Agreed. I got the image of a satelite firing lasers when I read the name. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's misleading.)

Lysander
2010-04-01, 11:08 AM
could do.

2. this can be stacked with spell turning itself to bounce back even more spells before running out

3. unlike spell turning, you haven't explained what happens when you have just enough levels left to partially capture a spell... you should list that.

It actually doesn't stack with spell turning because spell turning can't stop rays. It only affects spells with a specific target, while rays technically only produce an effect. They would still be pretty good together though since it would protect you from a wider range of spells.

A ray with too many spell levels I think would just pass on through, without taking anything from the protection's remaining levels. Or maybe it would weaken it providing a boost to your saving throw?