PDA

View Full Version : Redeemed PrC

Angry Bob
2010-04-01, 12:12 PM
The Redeemed are the opposite of a Blackguard. Where blackguards are often corrupted champions of the light, Redeemed are former villains who have turned away from their old ways.

Prerequisites:
Skills: Diplomacy 11, Knowledge(Religion) 5,
Feats: Any two of the following: Power Attack, Iron Will, Spell Focus(good), or Negotiator.
Alignment: Any Good, see text.
Special: A Redeemed is defined by their struggle to a)atone for their own evil acts, and b) stop others from imitating the same. Therefore, only a character that has been evil over a period of time may take the levels of Redeemed. To take the first level of Redeemed, a character meeting all the other prerequisites must receive atonement for their past deeds.

Skills: Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Heal, Jump, Knowledge(Arcana, History, Religion), Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
Skills per Level: 4+Int
HD: d10

{table] Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort | Ref | Will | Class Features | Spellcasting
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 |Code of Conduct, Retain Class Features | +1 to Existing Class
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Subdue | +1 to Existing Class
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Talk Down the Monster, Shroud of Darkness | +1 to Existing Class
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Enemy of Evil, Sense Evil | +1 to Existing Class
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Slay Evil | +1 to Existing Class[/table]

Class Features:

Weapons/Armor: A Redeemed gains Proficiency with all armor and shields(except tower shields) and all simple and martial weapons.

Spellcasting: Whenever a Redeemed gains a level, they gain spells per day as though they had also gained a level in whatever class they had before they entered this prestige class. They don't gain any other class features, however, and if the Redeemed had more than one spellcasting class before they became a redeemed, they choose which one to add to whenever they gain a level.

Code of Conduct: A Redeemed is expected to adhere to a strict code
of conduct. In many ways, it is even more strict than that of a paladin or similar classes. Becoming Redeemed is, for many former evildoers, a second chance, but it is also their last chance. Any deliberate act of serious evil is taken as a sign of recidivism, and any Redeemed that performs such an act is immediately stripped of their class features and marked for death by the rest of the Redeemed. The more destructive, evil, or powerful a character was before their first level of Redeemed, the bigger a priority they are to hunt down.

Retain Class Features: The first Redeemed were the brainchild of a church who had the idea of turning evil against itself. Redeemed are allowed to retain and use any class feature that requires a certain alignment as though they were of the appropriate alignment. However, using them against good, neutral, or nonthreatening evil characters or monsters is still an evil act and is treated as such by the code of conduct.

Subdue: At 2nd level, a Redeemed can cause his attacks to deal nonlethal damage without taking a penalty to his attack roll.

Talk Down the Monster: Because of a Redeemed's unique perspective on the workings of the vilest of minds and his own merciful treatment at the hands of the Redeemed, he makes it his duty to try to extend the same mercy to other enemies he fights. At 3rd level, A Redeemed gains a competence bonus on diplomacy and bluff checks equal to his class level and only takes -5 (instead of -10) on accelerated diplomacy attempts.

Shroud of Darkness: He's not proud of his history, but he's also not too proud to use it to his advantage if he has to. At 3rd level, he is automatically aware of any attempts to magically discern his alignment, and may choose what alignment to appear as for the purposes of the spell used to do so. Also, he gains a circumstance bonus on intimidate checks equal to twice his class level against evil characters.

Sense Evil: At 4th level, A Redeemed can perceive evil creatures as though he had blindsight out to 30 feet and creatures with the evil subtype as though he had blindsight out to 90 ft.

Enemy of Evil: A Redeemed has the unique perspective of both sympathizing for the enemies he has to kill and understanding all to well why he must do so anyway. At 4th level, a number of times per day equal to his Redeemed levels + 1/2 his other class levels, he may take a swift action to add his wisdom modifier as a bonus to attack and damage rolls he makes that turn.

Slay Evil: At 5th level, a Redeemed gains the ability to irrevocably destroy those he declares beyond redemption. Once per day per class level, he may make a single attack at his full attack bonus. If this attack does damage and the target is evil, the target must make a DC 17 + Redeemed's wisdom modifier or die instantly. Characters and creatures who die this way can't be brought back except via true resurrection, wish, or miracle. Even if the target makes the save, they still take 10d6 damage, and can die of that.

That's him. I want to make a version for ex-evil wizards. Any ideas?
Also, once I get feedback, I intend to remake him once or twice, so stick around once you've given feedback, to see if the redo is any better.

Lysander
2010-04-01, 12:16 PM
I like the flavor and the casting progression. I think slay evil should only kill, it's too powerful if it stops resurrection.

Dust
2010-04-01, 12:17 PM
Why is Knowledge (Religion) a prerequisite for this PrC? Actually, I think the feat prereqs are silly as well. Crunch and flavorwise, this looks good - one of the few things I've seen lately that could actually see use in a serious campaign.

hamishspence
2010-04-01, 12:35 PM
Redeemed are allowed to retain and use any class feature that requires a certain alignment as though they were of the appropriate alignment. However, using them against good, neutral, or nonthreatening evil characters or monsters is still an evil act and is treated as such by the code of conduct.

This bit might depend on the class feature- some class features might not be evil to use on anybody- because they're pretty innocuous.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-01, 12:59 PM
Nice. It's a shame you posted it here, though - this would have fit very well in the current PrC contest, I think! You might ask ErrantX about moving it there, if he's OK with that (dunno, usually you have to have not posted a class anywhere else...).

Other than that, I'd comment that a first level Binder (or even just someone with the Bind Vestige feat!) could bind Naberius to completely eliminate the penalty on accelerated diplomacy - halving it seems a bit weak in comparison. Other than that, though, this looks very good.

Angry Bob
2010-04-01, 04:59 PM
Edited Prerequisites

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Diplomacy 11, Knowledge(Religion or Arcana) 5,
Feats: Iron Will
Alignment: Any Good, see special.
Special: A Redeemed is defined by their struggle to a)atone for their own evil acts, and b) stop others from imitating the same. Therefore, only a character that has been evil over a period of time may take the levels of Redeemed(DM's discretion). To take the first level of Redeemed, a character meeting all the other prerequisites must receive atonement for their past deeds.

What I'm going for here is a class that appeals to and can be taken by a wide variety of character types, so the prerequisites are going to look decidedly strange no matter what I do to them, but is this any better from the first version?

Can any think of any builds that a)make it shine, b)demonstrate that it's prereqs are okay or not or c)break it?

Additionally, fluff.

"Evil is not a toy. I learned this the hard way. You, however, can choose to learn the easy way. You have only to ask." - Xathrim the Penitent, to Anixinroch of the Thousand Plagues