PDA

View Full Version : If Your Campaign Was A Blockbuster

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-02, 03:16 PM
As I was working on my homebrew campaign setting I was thinking how it would look if a film with unlimited budget was made for it.

Add at least an intro, and who would play your main characters

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-02, 03:19 PM
A Dying Ember (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7327276#post7327276)

Theme Song
The Gravel Road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJEk824VIas)

Trailer

<You have a tinkly, peaceful song playing as what appears as a snowflake falls from a misty cloud. It gains a reddish tinge and you see it begin to melt, forming a tail behind it and view swivels to that of the snowflake. You are now heading towards an enormous red star>

Dialogue
Old woman's voice says: Our sun is old. So very old. But it was always so. We grew, rose, died; always in it's red light. We called her Døende Aske, the Dying Ember, but always she warmed our Hearth...

<View rushes into the sun and flares with fire... panning back out to see a poker being pulled from the coals, which flame up. A woman stands back and lies down the poker. You see she is in a rugged cottage, and she opens a door. Outside The sun is setting, taking up an enormous portion of the sky. The northern lights above flicker and dance in the deepening evening.

A young boy and girl lie watching the lights above. They stand up and run for the house when the lights above start to scatter and zip across the sky, their blue and greens fading to red. The mother looks up and the children turn to stare. One spark of light zips down and the boy and girl approach, to see it is one of the fish. The ground around it begins to smoke slightly and catches fire as the fish goes dim. All around fish are falling and setting fire to the fields and homes. As the view pans to show this, the sun dips below the horizon, but a white light fills the sky. Clouds of super-heated steam fill the opposite horizon and there is a blinding flash of light.>

Dialogue
...so they hid her away.

<You pan out to space, and see as Hearth rotates in fast forward that the clouds cover the planet. Dipping below the clouds, you see ice creeping along the continents, as snow and rain cause torrential downpours.>

Dialogue
Now we live in the cold.

<Volcano erupts amongst an ice field, throwing up ice and for a moment a great face appears amongst the spray>

Dialogue
Which means we must burn hotter.

Salkin: My father discovered something. He watched the clouds, he recorded the creep of the frost. He was almost ready to speak. That's why he died!

<Salkin suddenly turns to look in a mirror, and the figure within it moves a fraction too slow to copy him. It snarls as it realizes it's been seen and the mirror crackles with frost before shattering>

Salkin: I will find it, and we will fight back the winter! We will need allies.

<Scene cuts to a long mountain road, and Salkin peers out of the carriage to a figure in a patched cloak, hood up against the rain, that stands in the middle.>

Salkin: Who are you?

<Old face looks up with read hair, grinning.>

Figure: Mahogany, lad. I hears tell me you're looking for some powerful folk. Follow the road to the edges, then if your not 'fraid of the grass, tread off't!

<Cut away to waterfalls pouring down and icy mountain. A man in a loin cloth whoops and leaps off into the pool below, surfaces and scene fades to boatful of enormous men, all with 10-foot harpoons as a two-finned killer whale surfaces with a horrible wail. Cut away to a man with long red hair on a dog sled, surrounded by an entire pack of wolves, dogs and werewolves. Cut away a final time to a dwarf crushing a block of ice as thick as him with his fists.>

Dialogue
Salkin: These are our allies?

Mahogany, writing his name in the snow: As mighty as me!

<Scene of enormous furred creatures pulling ice skidders through a mountain path. Cuts to a scene of one of the men from the boat sitting cross legged as Salkin sneaks up behind him with a rapier when his eyes flick open. Cut to the man in the loin cloth saying with a smile, 'You are only free when joy, not fear, rules you!'. Cut to redheaded man snarling back at a wolf. Cut to an army of dwarves on ice skates roaring as they charge down a frozen ocean.>

Dialogue
Girl from the field: When will we see the sun again?
Mother: We'll have to make our own light.

<Pair of hands strike flint and steel together and a spark flies off, burning the date into the screen>

Intro

Scene 1
<You have a tinkly, peaceful song playing as what appears as a snowflake falls from a misty cloud. It gains a reddish tinge and you see it begin to melt, forming a tail behind it and view swivels to that of the snowflake. You are now heading towards an enormous red star>

Dialogue
Old woman's voice says: Our sun is old. So very old. But it was always so. We grew, rose, died; always in it's red light. We called her Døende Aske, the Dying Ember, but always she warmed our Hearth...

Scene 2
<View rushes into the sun and flares with fire... panning back out to see a poker being pulled from the coals, which flame up. A woman stands back and lies down the poker. You see she is in a rugged cottage, and she opens a door. Outside The sun is setting, taking up an enormous portion of the sky. The northern lights above flicker and dance in the deepening evening>

Dialogue
DINNER!

Scene 3
<View rises up closer to the northern lights, and as it approaches you see that the lights squirm, until as you come right on them you see it is glowing fish, flying in the sky. Following their path for several moments, you speed into a cloud and descend into a blizzard. Within it dance ghost-like beings, howling a chant>

Dialogue
But not all were content to wait for the dying of our star. There were those who grew strong on death and chill blood. For eight hundreds of years they had waited for the coming of the wanderer. The bird that flew with frozen dew upon its plumage. The feathery ghostliness it left behind it was the streaming of a cosmic blizzard and not flame. It was colder than the deepest ice of Hearth. And so with intricate measuring they awaited its closest passing and so began their ritual. With but a nudge the power of their prayers altered the comet's direction and it streaked down towards the great ocean of the south.

Scene 4
<Cut back to the field with the setting sun. Dinner call repeats. A young boy and girl lie watching the fish above. They stand up and run for the house when the lights above start to scatter and zip across the sky, their blue and greens fading to red. The mother looks up and the children turn to stare. A light zips down and the boy and girl approach, to see it is one of the fish. The ground around it begins to smoke slightly and catches fire as the fish goes dim. All around fish are falling and setting fire to the fields and homes. As the view pans to show this, the sun dips below the horizon, but a white light fills the sky. Clouds of super-heated steam fill the opposite horizon and there is a blinding flash of light.>

Scene 5
You pan out to space, and see as Hearth rotates in fast forward that the clouds cover hearth. Dipping below the clouds, you see ice creeping along the continents, as snow and rain cause torrential downpours.

Dialogue: That was the last we saw of our precious ember. Its rays were forever hidden, striking only the tops of the eternal clouds, making them glow a deep crimson with its wearied light. Continuous rain and snow fall from these clouds, like drops of blood from an unhealing wound.The victory of the Winterhaunt was not complete however...

Scene 6
<Druidic attired folk pour out of the forests and priests with sun symbols leave their temples, coming together and looking up into the sky>

Dialogue
The lovers of light and warmth and life from all corners of the globe came together. With their combined efforts the stone below the feet of much of the world was shifted, and heat allowed to flow to the surface. Volcanoes were reborn, hot springs bubbled, and geysers erupted. Millions of people scattered across dozens of races perished but those whom survived either adapted and learned to thrive in the frostfell or they congregated together and built towns in harmony with the life giving heat from below. Others made treaties with the dwarves, and disappeared from the frigid topland all together...

Characters

Salkin Motard
Actor: Hugh Jackman (will need to grow a nice, thick beard)
This is the main character of the story, originally a child of a well-to-do family, father killed by an assassin of the Winterhaunt when he discovered their plans to wage war against the remainder of the warmth loving peoples. He will be going about making treaties to bring the peoples of Hearth together to defend against the Winterhaunt.

Still
Actor: Looking
Retarded but incredibly powerful dwarf whom Salkin adopts and raises as a son and body guard. His representative to the dwarves.

Barrackis
Powerfully built musician from the wild people of the frozen mountains. Plays a pair of huge wood and leather drums. Thrill seeking, stand on a mountain wearing copper armor shout all gods are bastards type.

Brolly
Red-headed tradesman and native Frostfellan who is considered a brother to the 'feral folk', or werepeople (shifter-like). Crude and rough, but kind-hearted and loves children and animals. Breeds his own type of sled dog known the world over for being almost super dogs in constitution and cold adaption. Animals just take to him and has been known to tame even dire wolves and cave bears.

Mahogany
Actor: Paul Giamatti (with red hair and aging-makeup)
Old story teller and wanderer of the lands, who seems to know a little bit about everything, having seen it, walked it, or heard about it. Has ability to see the future, and then 'walk the one road I wish'. Paul Muad'dib if he was a friendly, funny old man. And not like standard old man with POWAH! He's very, very human.

Mickle
Actor: Michael Chiklis
7 foot, sumo-like mentalist whose personal faith runs deep and wide. Speculative, quiet, and capable of near impossible physical feats. Can balance on a wire, fast for a year, or be skewered completely through and not bleed or infect. Never sleeps, but sits in wide-eyed meditation.

Lappy9000
2010-04-02, 04:22 PM
*Being Re-thought*

Stycotl
2010-04-02, 05:07 PM
i always pictured mahogany as ben kingsley. vt says that he imagines an older paul giamatti for him.

EDIT: question.

campaign, or campaign setting?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-02, 05:15 PM
For Still I want a barrel-chest, weight-lifter type guy. More like a strong man than a body builder.

For Barrackis a strapping, native-american guy.

For Mickle (yet to add) a huge, almost sumo-type. Fat but athletic.

i always pictured mahogany as ben kingsley. vt says that he imagines an older paul giamatti for him.

EDIT: question.

campaign, or campaign setting?
Originally intended it as campaign setting, though just a campaign in general works as well.

Lappy9000
2010-04-02, 05:27 PM
Originally intended it as campaign setting, though just a campaign in general works as well.Changed as necessary :smallamused:

Yora
2010-04-02, 05:28 PM
Good question. I really have no idea how to present my setting in 90 minutes.

Maybe if I can make it an 11 hour trilogy...?

But it can't be done anyway, as Mako is allready dead. :smallfrown:
And I have no idea what role Christopher Lee could play instead.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-02, 05:35 PM

Well, an adventure within that setting anyways.

Lappy9000
2010-04-02, 06:55 PM
Well, an adventure within that setting anyways.Hmm, I'm gonna rethink this a bit then.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-02, 07:01 PM
Hmm, I'm gonna rethink this a bit then.
Do whatever you like, didn't make any rules. Just a film out of a setting or an adventure in that setting or whatever.

With mine I just worked the unique aspects of my campaign in while also the main adventure I wrote for it.

Dust
2010-04-02, 09:35 PM
Superhero campaigns are so much easier to do than DnD ones.

Theme Song
Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48aDxnzKgw), by Skillet

Trailer
The opening shot is a long pan of New York City, showing the harbor and Statue of Liberty. Several voices overlap, speaking eagerly. Their voices blur together.

Carrying on America's proud tradition of celebrating our heritage, the departure of the world's first "Green Energy" commercial commences today, making this Fourth of July one of the most ambitious in history.

The cruise ship, almost half a kilometre in length, is by far the largest and most luxurious vessel ever built, and the entertainment on board has drawn more than a few familiar Hollywood faces to reserve a place for the maiden voyage. Rumors of Orlando Bloom, George Clooney, Alyssa Milano, and even Brad Pitt being aboard the Empress abound.....

....rivals the Eiffel Tower and Delta Works in terms of sheer architectural triumph....

The cruise will end by pulling into the Liberty harbor at midnight on the Fourth of July, getting a fitting front-row seat to the fireworks display that the NY Metro Fire Department has spent months planning. Fire Chief Paul Merrik reminds celebrants once again, to enjoy the holiday safely...

...nuclear-powered transportation. A glimpse into the world to come, an analogy for mankind's latest triumph over the atom. Ladies and gentlemen, this is humanity's virgin voyage into the future itself.

Suddenly the screen goes dark, and a new voice, crisp and clear, speaks directly to the audience.

The date is July 2nd. Four days before the End of the World.

The screen lights up again, a rapid-fire series of images from the film. A man shrouded in flames runs his fingers across the top of a nuclear warhead, leaving scorch marks across the steel exterior of the weapon. Black helicopters move lazily across a purple, thundering sky. New York is in flames, an enormous crater directly in the center with police cars overturned all around it.

An enormous suit of power-armor begins opening fire on a crowd of civilians, gunning down dozens without hesitation.

They called us 'Paragons,' men and women with abilities that cannot be explained or rationalized. Call me old-fashioned...

The very same power armor lets loose with another series of rapid-fire shells into an old but well-muscled man, who staggers backwards under the assault but remains standing. His brings his arms to his chest as if in shock, as the barrage ends, and he opening his palms as if expecting to see blood pouring from the wounds in his chest. Instead, hundreds of flattened bullet shells from from between his fingertips to the sidewalk. He looks up and smiles, and takes a confident step forward.

A beautiful woman closes her eyes and reclines on a white, incandescently-glowing table as the screen pans to a gloved hand begins flipping toggles. Tubes filled with multicoloured liquid begin bubbling unsteadily.

A dark-skinned man in a suit is seen fighting off a half-dozen government agents with capoeira, moving inside a hail of gunfire without so much as a scratch.

The last shot is of Eddie leaping off the Golden Gate bridge with arms outstretched, a huge, cthulhu-esque creature in the waters below. It opens its cavernous maw and Eddie reaches back an arm, balling his fist in preparation for a free-fall punch.

The screen goes dark again.

...but I always just preferred 'hero.'

Anomaly. November of 2008.

Characters
Eddie King (Overdrive), played by Sean Patrick Flanery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Patrick_Flanery)
A smooth-talking Texan stuntman, Eddie serves as the film's narrator and pivotal character. His power is the weakest of the four primary characters, showing superior speed and agility. Despite this, his unwavering courage and dedication sees the story to its conclusion.

Big John, played by Bas Rutten (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Rutten)
A foul-mouthed miner from the 40's, seemingly indestructible and immortal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bad_John). He's got an old-fashioned American heart and an old-fashioned pair of American fists, and he's one hell of a man.

Carbon, played by Louis Ramey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgybeZCltk)
A white-collar worker with the ability to replicate the abilities of other superpowered individuals. He's a bit of a coward and a ladies' man.

Muse, played by Charlize Theron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlize_Theron)
A beautiful actress, fashion model, socialite and generally Alpha Female in whatever she decides to do, Muse can alter the perceptions and emotions of those around in her in subtle ways. She's spoiled and wealthy, but realizes the urgency of events.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-04-02, 10:08 PM
I keep trying to think up a NotD trailer/casting, but it's so hard.:smallfrown:

The Tygre
2010-04-03, 04:09 AM
I keep trying to think up a NotD trailer/casting, but it's so hard.:smallfrown:

You're telling me; try thinking up a good trailer of Exalted. I mean... where do you even begin?

Amiel
2010-04-03, 07:03 AM
This isn't my campaign (setting) per se, but it's an idea of what Perdition may look like.

Trailer
"Through me the way into the suffering city,
Through me the way to the eternal pain,
Through me the way that runs among the lost.

Justice urged on my high artificer;
My maker was divine authority,
The highest wisdom, and the primal love.

Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
And I endure eternally.
Abandon every hope, ye who enter here."

<The view pans from the above narration and burning red-white text upon colourless background to a plain that is tormented by blistering wind and the screams and placations of the damned>

<Across this field of wickedly jagged sheer cliff faces, unnaturally even plateaus and mesas and tremendously tall mountains, an endless stream of soulshells is been herded to their respective damnations by tireless teams of slave drivers, devils, themselves covered in spiked armour and wielding whips as if extensions of their very being. In the background, we can see the wings of hideous beasts, their immensity periodically casting shadows upon the surface of the plain>

<Everywhere, all types of devils stand guard against incursions.
Above all this, we see a weakly throbbing sun, as if afraid to cast its light upon this Reality; as if afraid of the endless conformity>

<Our view shifts to the Maggot Pit, lemures are hauled bodily from this rancid abyss by their millions by devils and press-ganged slaves. Their forms bubble away in screaming agony, leaving rupturous tar upon the white-hot rocks. These endless filth are driven into the endless lines that crisscross this blasted terrain>

<Our views plunges into the Maggot Pit, and continues as it traverses each layer of The Pit, from the first circle of Perdition to the last, each gives a fleeting glimpse of the horrors and agony that awaits all who are lawful evil>

<Eventually, our view returns to the selfsame plain and continues ever rushing forwards and outwards, leaving the field into the background, we see what appears to a gargantuan open gate, its metal coated with blood, gristle, the remnants of blasted souls, and steaming>

<As the gates close with a thud, you hear the same sound echo in your soul, a despondent noise that arouses only fear and depression>

Characters
All characters may possibly need additional CGI effects to both enhance and define their character.

Asmodeus
Played by Sir Christopher Lee. Asmodeus is suave, extremely cultured and nuanced. Every word he utters has nine different meanings, nine different interpretations, nine different conclusions. Attired in red, purple and black cloaks and robes that bring to mind conservative yet extremely elaborate and beautiful religious vestments, he almost seems to glide as he walks. He never seems to get angry, only his completely blood red eyes narrow, and even then only slightly. He can force absolute prostration upon his subjects, and he has at least nine contingency plans and at least nine different plans within plans.
Narration by Christopher Lee.

Baal
Looking. The Lord of the First. More details later.

Dispater
Played by Sir Ian Mackellan. More details later.

Mammon
Looking. The Lord of the Third. More details later.

Belial
Looking. The Lord of the Fourth; character needs CGI to ensure that he is most beautiful creature of Perdition. Same with his daughter. More details later.

Leviathan
Looking. The Lord of the Fifth. More details later.

Lilith
Looking. The Lord of the Sixth. She needs to be extremely beautiful and intelligent. More details later.

Beelzebub
Looking. The Lord of the Seventh. More details later.

Mephistopheles
Looking. The Lord of the Eight. More details later.

DracoDei
2010-04-03, 10:40 AM

But it can't be done anyway, as Mako is allready dead. :smallfrown:
And I have no idea what role Christopher Lee could play instead.

That just makes it a weekly (mini-) series. Which should be close enough for purposes of this thread.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-11, 03:41 PM
Ooh, you also need to pick a theme song.

Just added mine.

Deter
2010-04-11, 04:40 PM
For Mickle (yet to add) a huge, almost sumo-type. Fat but athletic.

How about the boxer George Foreman? Not an actor; but he's fat, athletic and, ever since his loss to Ali, seems to be more spiritually centered. He's kinda got that smiling-buddha-thing goin' for him.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-11, 05:31 PM
Erm...

Assuming this is my Mecha Victoriana: Tinker, Tailor, Traitor campaign:

Captain James Manning: Kenneth Brannah.

British Military Intelligence Liason to the Royal Society Executive in the former French territories.

Codename: Tallhat: Difficult. Voice would have to be Tony Todd [Candyman] but he's supposed to be white under his gas-mask.

Gas mask wearing, well dressed psionicist with abilities similar to the Shadow but without the mind control [disappearance, moving in bursts with a sound like ripping fabric]. Former soldier who was damaged by a mental attack by the setting's peripheral [military campaign side] alien menace, the Fraal, gaining his mental powers in the process. Too unstable for military work but as a hunter, he serves well.

Julie "Lady Luck" Bershnatz: Dunno really. Most girls in hollywood are too generically pretty. Come back to her.

Crazy luck afflicted spellcaster [Giles style] with the look of a librarian and the tongue of an east end barmaid. Formerly known as Nightwitch but her new name stuck because of Manning.

Mark "Sniff" Blake: Richard Marner.

Expert detective and skilled disguise artist. Spends most of his time doing groundwork for the next case while the actual hunters go after it.

Winston "Winston" Mearls:Liev Schreiber

Stealth and martial arts expert. Uses a mix of two weapon fighting with a pair of weapons similar to butterfly swords and a rifle [as opposed to everyone else's shotguns]. Bitter with a Black sense of humour and a broad cheshire accent that makes him seem thick beyond all recognition.

Eloise: Dekota Fanning.

I've aged the character from 8 to a semi-plausible 16, simply because i don't know what to do with it otherwise. She's a little girl who's been artificially "Mind Raped" [in world term] by a nutter scientist who's trying to make artificial psions.

Isaac: Assuming i'm allowed to use him [originally designed by another author], Isaac would never be played by the same person twice, but rather a line up of similar looking "average skinny men," but with a flat, emotionless voice with no accent common throughout.

The military roles are uncast, though i'd probably look into at least one British comedian in there, simply to feel right about it.

Trailer comes later, i think.