PDA

View Full Version : Another ToB build thread? *sigh* Yes...

ghost_warlock
2010-04-05, 06:02 PM
This Wednesday I'll be participating in a local group's trek through the World's Largest Dungeon module. I was invited to the game by a co-worker and it's the first time I'll have met/played with this group. I know next to nothing about the party composition other than that my co-worker is playing a 2nd-level elven cleric/wizard headed for mystic theurge (whatever floats his boat, I guess).

I've been told that the DM is fairly relaxed on character options, allowing pretty much anything from 3.5 D&D with the Wizards logo, or from Dragon Magazine.

Not knowing much about the group composition, I've decided to make a sword & board tanking/gish character falling somewhere around tier-3 power-wise. Of course, I want to utilize a couple of my favorite sourcebooks in the process - XPH & ToB. :smallbiggrin: So, I'm making a LG elan warblade/psion (non-gestalt). I never expect the campaign to run all the way to 20th level so I'm completely unconcerned with missing out on Stance Mastery. The character will begin play at 2nd level. Though there won't be any starting magic items, I can have pretty much whatever mundane starting gear I want (within reason - no exotic weapons/armor/materials).

I've combed through a couple other threads around here for ideas and I think I have something decent for a final build - I just need to fill in a couple gaps in my feat list and maybe make a couple tweaks. :smallsmile:

Stats:
Str 18 Dex 10
Con 13 Int 14
Wis 12 Cha 6
(Leveling stat bonuses will go to Str)

Flaws: Code of Arms, Honorable Challenge

Build:
1: Warblade
2: Psion (egoist)
3: Warblade
4: Psion (egoist)
5-7: Warblade
8-10: Psion (egoist)
11-20: Warblade
[Warblade 15/Psion 5]

Feats:
1: Enhanced Elan Resilience, (B)Vital Recovery, (B)Shield Specialization
2: (B)Practiced Manifester
3: Shield Ward
6: Psionic Weapon
7: (B)Ironheart Aura
9: Stormguard Warrior
10: (B)Expanded Knowledge
12: Instant Clarity
14: (B)Combat Reflexes
15: Robilar's Gambit
18: Greater Psionic Weapon, (B)Improved Initiative

Maneuvers:
1: Leading the Attack, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Steel Wind
3: Steely Strike
5: Emerald Razor
6: swap Steely Strike for Ironheart Surge
7: White Raven Tactics
11: swap Sapphire Nightmare Blade for Ruby Nightmare Blade
12: Disrupting Blow
14: Manticore Parry
15: swap Emerald Razor for Greater Insightful Strike
16: Avalanche of Blades
17: swap Steel Wind for Scything Blade
18: Adamantine Hurricane
19: swap Ruby Nightmare Blade for Diamond Nightmare Blade
20: Time Stands Still

Stances:
1: Stance of Clarity
6: Absolute Steel
15: Dancing Blade Form

Powers:
2: Offensive Prescience, Synchronicity, Vigor
4: Energy Ray, Skate
8: Animal Affinity, Crystalstorm
9: Concealing Amorpha, Damp Power
10: Hustle, Touchsight, (ExpKno)Psionic Lion's Charge

AslanCross
2010-04-05, 11:03 PM
I think you've pretty much got down what you want to accomplish, but maybe you could instead stagger the levels for each class by two like so:
Warblade 1
Psion 1
Psion 2
Warblade 2
Psion 3
Psion 4
...etc.

You can get better maneuvers at each level this way. At your second Warblade level, you'll have Initiator Level 3 instead of 2, allowing you to get Level 2 maneuvers.

ghost_warlock
2010-04-05, 11:24 PM
I think you've pretty much got down what you want to accomplish,
Yeah, my biggest issue (imo) is needing some suggestions for feats to fill in those mid/high-level slots (12th & 18th).

I thought about Power Attack + Leap Attack but since I'll likely be using a longsword the entire life of the character I was hoping for some more effective/interesting ideas.

but maybe you could instead stagger the levels for each class by two like so:
Warblade 1
Psion 1
Psion 2
Warblade 2
Psion 3
Psion 4
...etc.

You can get better maneuvers at each level this way. At your second Warblade level, you'll have Initiator Level 3 instead of 2, allowing you to get Level 2 maneuvers.

My original draft did exactly that but I became concerned about hp and low-level survivability. We're using max-hp/HD but I still wanted to build up a healthy number of d12s before I dropped a bunch of d4 HD into what's essentially a front-lines build. I mean, if there's any low-level caster can survive melee it's an elan egoist, but I was still a bit wary.

I'll go through and finish writing up a maneuver progression for that build, but I have a feeling it'll be much the same as I have it, above. And, as I'm delaying warblade levels, it's not really like I'll be getting the maneuvers/stances any earlier anyway.

Optimator
2010-04-05, 11:25 PM
Seems like a waste to multiclass like this and not take advantage of the psychic feats in the ToB. Deep Impacting a max-power-attack Ruby Nightmare Blade and getting your focus right back is the heat.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-04-05, 11:38 PM
I would almost suggest going Tashalatora Psychic Warrior instead, although, that would require a house rule to work with Unarmed Swordsage. As is, with your current psion plans, you won't be terribly psychic.

Rough stub would be Psychic Warrior X with somewhere between 2-6 levels of Swordsage thrown in around the middle of the build.

Kylarra
2010-04-05, 11:43 PM
Here's a suggestion actually, go into slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) instead of continuing to multiclass psion. It'll cost you a feat, but you'll maintain high BAB and decent HD.

The Rabbler
2010-04-05, 11:46 PM
might I suggest a few martial study feats and a martial stance feat to grab you some devoted spirit maneuvers and that amazing level 8 stance?

that or going crusader and selecting a few Iron Heart maneuvers that you like. honestly, for a tanking build, I'd go crusader and feat my way into deepstone sentinel and just wade into battle throwing around nightmare blades and healing myself.

ghost_warlock
2010-04-06, 12:58 AM
Here's another question I just thought of - does it seem like over-kill for the character to be picking up a bunch of maneuvers that mess with his saving throws considering he already has elan resistance? I can't use them at the same time (all use immediate actions), so would it be better to use the maneuver slots for other things, perhaps some Stone Dragon/White Raven maneuvers? Just might be able to squeeze in White Raven Tactics...

Seems like a waste to multiclass like this and not take advantage of the psychic feats in the ToB. Deep Impacting a max-power-attack Ruby Nightmare Blade and getting your focus right back is the heat.

Hm. Yeah, as it stands the character really isn't utilizing his psionic focus in any way. I could certainly swap out Stand Still for Psionic Weapon @ 6th and pick up Instant Clarity @ 12th then either Deep Impact or Greater Psionic Weapon @ 18th. Would be one way to deal with the empty feat slots...

Honestly, I think I like that a lot more than Stand Still - thanks for reminding about Instant Clarity! I don't think I can squeeze in Power Attack without sacrificing low-level survivability, though. :smallfrown:

I would almost suggest going Tashalatora Psychic Warrior instead, although, that would require a house rule to work with Unarmed Swordsage. As is, with your current psion plans, you won't be terribly psychic.

Rough stub would be Psychic Warrior X with somewhere between 2-6 levels of Swordsage thrown in around the middle of the build.

As I won't be able to actually talk to the DM until game-day, I want to avoid relying on house rules for now. After Wednesday, once I've met the DM and the rest of the group, if I want to swap out characters it might become an option then, however.

Still, I'm not really a fan of the psychic warrior. Well, I like some of the powers, but the PP progression and powers known progressions seem agonizingly slow to me in comparison to psion. :smallwink:

Here's a suggestion actually, go into slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) instead of continuing to multiclass psion. It'll cost you a feat, but you'll maintain high BAB and decent HD.

The problem is that slayer isn't published in any book and only exists in the SRD. Since I'm new to the group, I'm fairly certain the DM will want to see my references for character building - not sure whether anyone else in the group is using psionics/ToB. For the other stuff in the build I can just hand him the ToB, XPH, and the Dragon issues (flaws) rather than something hot off my own printer. :smallfrown:

The published version of the slayer (illithid slayer) has way to specific/circumstantial entry requirements when the DM isn't likely to alter the module just to cater to my character's proposed build.

might I suggest a few martial study feats and a martial stance feat to grab you some devoted spirit maneuvers and that amazing level 8 stance?

that or going crusader and selecting a few Iron Heart maneuvers that you like. honestly, for a tanking build, I'd go crusader and feat my way into deepstone sentinel and just wade into battle throwing around nightmare blades and healing myself.

Unfortunately, this translates to a four-feat investment that I really can't afford.

I'd go crusader, but I'm really not a fan of their random available manuevers mechanic.

Edit:
I updated the OP, above, with the changes:

Changed one of the flaws; I realized Pride of Arms would seriously mess with my ray attacks at low-level (when they'd be most useful).
Added the Psionic Weapon + Instant Clarity feat chain in lieu of Stand Still.
Changed a few maneuvers to remove the (somewhat redundant) save-bonus maneuvers and increase utility.

Unless there's any glaring issues that I'm missing, I think I'm good-to-go. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, all! :smallsmile: