PDA

View Full Version : Free or cheap Flash Editor?

leafman
2010-04-06, 07:58 PM
I just started in a Flash class at my college and could use some suggestions on a Flash editor like Adobe Flash CS3. I can't afford Flash CS3 or 4 and I don't want to have to run to the computer lab to do my homework. Anyone have any suggestions for a free or cheap Flash editor?

Sneak
2010-04-07, 10:22 AM
There isn't really a good editor besides Flash itself. For very simple things, there's SWFTools (http://www.swftools.org/), but that will almost certainly not be sufficient for a Flash-based college course.

You can get a student discount for Flash, though.

Also, I'm not necessarily condoning this, but you can acquire a copy through less-than-legal means.

Prime32
2010-04-07, 03:30 PM
You're pretty much stuck with Adobe/Macromedia. The best you could really manage is to find an earlier version of Flash.

Even if you found a program, would it have all the features your course covers? (Hint: no) Certainly you wouldn't be able to follow the instructions exactly.

And well, isn't the point of a Flash course to teach you how to use the program Flash?

EDIT: Just noticed your av. :smalltongue::smallsigh:

Trazoi
2010-04-08, 06:19 PM
There's some decent tools for programming with ActionScript like FlashDevelop, but they're more of a replacement for Flex not Flash. If your course is entirely programming oriented or you were wanting to make Flash games then it's worth checking out, but for a course on animation, the Flash IDE, or anything that uses the timeline then you'll need the real deal.

I'd second checking what educational deals are available to you. If you're doing a course it's possible they've got a really good educational discount for Flash.