PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creating the ultimate bodyguard

Trekkin
2010-04-06, 08:40 PM
As the title implies, I'm attempting to put together a character specifically designed to keep other characters alive in a party that's likely to be otherwise composed almost entirely of offensive casters. Are there any builds out there particularly good at deflecting or otherwise absorbing damage that would otherwise damage squishy characters?

HunterOfJello
2010-04-06, 08:52 PM
Crusader!

He heals his friends with his attacks, never goes down and is the ultimate uber tank.

set him up with a tower shield of arrow catching for starters

~~~

I set up a party with a Crusader DMPC and had to get rid of him quickly because he was way too good at keeping the party healed up and alive at all times

Eldariel
2010-04-06, 08:58 PM
Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Windicator with DMM: Persist, one-handed reach weapon (Kusari-Gama [DMG] or Spinning Sword [SoS]) and Tower Shield (for Shield Block). Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (later Vigorous Circle), very impressive Heal, Revivify and Close Wounds combined with Martial Spirit, Thicket of Blades (between Stand Still and Thicket of Blades, it'll do; add self-buffs to taste) and Healing Strikes plus Restoration-line and billions of immunities granted through spells means it takes conscious effort to die around him.

He's able to deal damage (to force attention from opponents) and heal everyone around him very efficiently, while also stopping opponents from moving past him, stopping enemy casters from casting efficiently (pick up Divine Defiance and prepare lots of Dispels also picking up Inquisition-domain and Practiced Spellcaster for insane Dispel-checks!) and overall just being a literal Bulwark of Defense (way better than the class with said class feature).

gdiddy
2010-04-06, 09:05 PM
Mithral Warforged Crusader or Warblade, with concentration on chain tripping and stand still, get Hearing the Air at 8th level for blind sense. Also, get an item that let's you see in magical darkness.

Have your caster friends cast enlarge on you. Now there is a 25 foot radius that people can't approach. Make sure that your caster friends all stay close and off the ground. Ideally, inside a darkness or greater darkness globe centered on you. Wear a +x mithral buckler, and since you're a crusader, your wizard friends have the same when they're adjacent.

You can do the arrow snatch-thing with feats, but honestly, this is a flavor build, since there is nothing 3 arcane casters can't handle. (Except for a greater number of arcane casters.) If you are going to be fighting rival caster groups, make sure you pick up Moment of Perfect Mind and Iron Heart Surge.

AslanCross
2010-04-06, 09:08 PM
The tanking mechanic you're looking for is almost nonexistent in 3.5 apart from PHB2 (Knight) and Tome of Battle (Crusader). Without those two, you're going to have to do a spiked chain tripper fighter.

A warforged knight/crusader, even with a regular polearm, is going to be great---he can still use his slam attack in close range if something gets past his polearm.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-06, 09:14 PM
I think Tome of Battle is a pretty cool guy. Eh heals his friends with his attacks, never goes down and doesn't afraid of anything.Fixed it for you. :smalltongue:

And I second the idea of Warforged. :smallcool:

Devils_Blind
2010-04-06, 10:06 PM
Good Karma (CSco) can be taken at third level and will let you take an attack for an adjacent ally. At the small price of taking an extra 50% damage.

Heliomance
2010-04-07, 05:16 AM
Ask your DM if he'll allow 3.0 material. If so, look up the Devoted Defender in Sword and Fist. It's designed for exactly this.

Ernir
2010-04-07, 05:21 AM
An Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil?

If the rest of the party is a bunch of offensive casters, I think that should be the most striking fit...

Serpentine
2010-04-07, 05:41 AM
I think it's meant to be underpowered, but a lot of the Knight's abilities are geared at defending allies. Basically, her job is to get hit so others don't.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-07, 12:31 PM
Ask your DM if he'll allow 3.0 material. If so, look up the Devoted Defender in Sword and Fist. It's designed for exactly this.

+1.
It's fairly flavorful, but a little weak. It's also intended to only protect one person at a time.
If the DM plans to update it in any way, you should ask about altering it to include a group of allies.

Another option, also from 3.0, is a prestige class from Mystic Eye Games. Their world of Gothos, from the campaign The Hunt: Rise of Evil. It had a splatbook based off of I guess chi-powers. That book I remember had a defender class in it. Also another version of the green star adept, except you didn't need to track down maguffin steel to level up.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:32 PM
An Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil?

If the rest of the party is a bunch of offensive casters, I think that should be the most striking fit...

This is certainly the most effective route.