PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting multiple items for single cost [3.5]

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 11:37 AM
One of the problems I see that people have with Two Weapon Fighting is that it's fairly expensive to enchant two weapons to kickass level. I believe this is also true of Sword&Board.

The thought: allow players to enchant 2 weapons / a weapon and a shield for the price of enchanting a single weapon. The weapons may have different abilities, as long as you upgrade them evenly eg. a +2 longsword & a +1 flaming rapier etc.

However these abilities only function as long as the weapons are used in tandem. If only one is used they drop to +1 enchanted until they are both used again.

Edit:For a Weapon and a Shield you would pay the cost 1/2 way between the weapon and armour costs: 1500gp for +1 etc.[/edit]

It doesn't solve any other melee problems, but could this be an ok houserule?

Thanks in advance,

K-B

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-07, 12:13 PM
That's a good houserule, but you should only use it for two weapons. Otherwise, many different characters would get benefits from it, so rangers would still be weaker by comparison.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 12:19 PM
That's a good houserule, but you should only use it for two weapons. Otherwise, many different characters would get benefits from it, so rangers would still be weaker by comparison.

Perhaps, but I do so love Sword & Shield fighting.

Though, I use a TWF houserule anyway, which I believe helps alleviate some of it's other problems. Maybe that will balance in Ranger's favour...I'm rambling now, aren't I.

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-07, 12:28 PM
Perhaps, but I do so love Sword & Shield fighting.

Though, I use a TWF houserule anyway, which I believe helps alleviate some of it's other problems. Maybe that will balance in Ranger's favour...I'm rambling now, aren't I.

Okay, if you're using that houserule, then it's fine. Though I think that special powers (i.e. flaming, arrow attraction) should go first.
-Xavez

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-07, 01:22 PM
Even two-handers use an animated shield. The problem is that past your first extra attack your attacks are at a -7 or more, so are very very unlikely to hit. I rarely if ever go past the second off-hand attack, and usually stick to the single bonus attack.

To be quite honest, weapon enchants are not your most expensive thing. And certainly shouldn't do all the damage. Worst case, your party wizard drops a chained GMW at the start of the day.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 01:34 PM
Even two-handers use an animated shield. The problem is that past your first extra attack your attacks are at a -7 or more, so are very very unlikely to hit. I rarely if ever go past the second off-hand attack, and usually stick to the single bonus attack.

To be quite honest, weapon enchants are not your most expensive thing. And certainly shouldn't do all the damage. Worst case, your party wizard drops a chained GMW at the start of the day.

As I said this is trying to deal with 1 (and only 1) problem, the rest of melee's issues are someone elses problem :smalltongue:

------
Can someone think of a good way to sort out the cost of carrying around a million and one different arrows?

Edit: :O Ettin-itp lol :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-07, 01:38 PM
As I said this is trying to deal with 1 (and only 1) problem, the rest of melee's issues are someone elses problem :smalltongue:

------
Can someone think of a good way to sort out the cost of carrying around a million and one different arrows?

Edit: :O Ettin-itp lol :smallbiggrin:

For the arrows: Use the Quiver of Ehlonna (I use 3.5 magic item names from DMG, not the SRD).
-Xavez

Edit: :O Dwarf-itp lol :smallbiggrin: (hahaha, I mimicked you)

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 01:40 PM
For the arrows: Use the Quiver of Ehlonna (I use 3.5 magic item names from DMG, not the SRD).
-Xavez

Edit: :O Dwarf-itp lol :smallbiggrin: (hahaha, I mimicked you)

I meant that loads of arrows are expensive, not that I can't carry them, sorry that wasn't clear. I'm thinking: make magic arrows blank slates that you can pick a new enchantment for each day, but that sounds dumb even to me.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-07, 02:04 PM
One way is to befriend an Artificer. That cuts a lot of costs...

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-07, 03:32 PM
Can't you just buy like 5 one one type of arrow? I generally have like 3-4 of each specific arrow I might need (alignments, banes, etc..), and any regular enchantments on the bow. The rest is basic arrows GMW'd.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 03:45 PM
Add in the clause "Does NOT apply to armor/shield spikes or spiked gauntlets", some really good AC can be acquired that way.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 03:48 PM
Add in the clause "Does NOT apply to armor/shield spikes or spiked gauntlets", some really good AC can be acquired that way.

Good point.

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-07, 05:04 PM
Ahhhh, defending + GMW + cheese.

spiked gauntlets, spiked shield, spiked armor, braid blades....lots of boosting AC.