PDA

View Full Version : Musical Marksmanship (Bard Feat - PEACH)

Lysander
2010-04-08, 12:31 PM
Here's something I've been thinking up for a character concept for a long time:

Musical Marksmanship

Prerequisite: Perform (Stringed Instruments) 4 ranks, Weapons Focus (longbow or shortbow)

Benefit: You may use a lute, guitar, or other stringed instrument as an improvised longbow or a shortbow (which depends on the instrument's size). A masterwork instrument instead functions as an improvised composite bow. You can commission or construct a custom-made masterwork instrument that you can use as a non-improvised weapon. This weapon has the combined costs of the masterwork instrument and bow it functions as, or has a separate craft check for each of its functions.

Secondly, you are skilled at firing arrows while playing. Even when taking a standard action to play a stringed instrument, such as with some bardic music abilities, you may still fire one arrow at your highest base attack bonus as a free action. If you are using a bardic music ability when you fire the arrow if unmagical becomes magical and gains a +1 enhancement bonus.

You also gain the ability to strum a normal non-musical bow as a poor musical instrument, taking -10 on your perform check.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-04-08, 02:10 PM
Here's something I've been thinking up for a character concept for a long time:

Musical Marksmanship

Prerequisite: Perform (Stringed Instruments) 4 ranks, Weapons Focus (longbow or shortbow)

Benefit: You may use a lute, guitar, or other stringed instrument as an improvised longbow or a shortbow (which depends on the instrument's size). A masterwork instrument instead functions as an improvised composite bow. You can commission or construct a custom-made masterwork instrument that you can use as a non-improvised weapon. This weapon has the combined costs of the masterwork instrument and bow it functions as, or has a separate craft check for each of its functions.

Secondly, you are skilled at firing arrows while playing. Even when taking a standard action to play a stringed instrument, such as with some bardic music abilities, you may still fire one arrow at your highest base attack bonus as a free action. If you are using a bardic music ability when you fire the arrow if unmagical becomes magical and gains a +1 enhancement bonus.

You also gain the ability to strum a normal non-musical bow as a poor musical instrument, taking -10 on your perform check.

I probably wouldn't allow this one in my games, but good job on creativity.

I'd make the magical enhancement bonus require a use of bardic music, and scale by level (maybe in keeping with Inspire Courage's bonus.) And I'd make shooting the arrow a swift action, because hypothetically you could use bardic music, shoot an arrow, and cast a quickened spell all in the same round.

Lysander
2010-04-08, 02:27 PM
It does require bardic music. The magic arrow only comes into play while you're also playing magical bardic music. The idea is that some of the magic rubs off on the arrow, so to speak. A +1 enhancement isn't that big a deal later on, considering that it only applies to non-magical arrows. The second the bard gets a magic bow that ability becomes redundant.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-04-08, 09:25 PM
It does require bardic music. The magic arrow only comes into play while you're also playing magical bardic music. The idea is that some of the magic rubs off on the arrow, so to speak. A +1 enhancement isn't that big a deal later on, considering that it only applies to non-magical arrows. The second the bard gets a magic bow that ability becomes redundant.

Later on, yes. But a level 1 human with this feat will be doing very very well for one fight.

On the other hand, if you do require a use of bardic music for each arrow, you could have the feat also grant an extra daily use of bardic music.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-08, 09:53 PM
OH GOD, YOU WOULD DESTROY YOUR INSTRUMENT! Mechanically, sure, have fun, but no musician would EVER do this.

Hyooz
2010-05-28, 04:51 PM
Might want to tighten up the wording. As written, you've made firing arrows out of your instrument a free action.

Even when taking a standard action to play a stringed instrument, such as with some bardic music abilities, you may still fire one arrow at your highest base attack bonus as a free action.

So, I can fire arrows as a free action even during bardic music, which seems to imply that outside of bardic music, it's even easier. What we've got here, then, is infinite arrows fired in a round at my highest BAB.

What you probably want instead, is to phrase it as "You can make a single ranged attack at your highest BAB as part of the action to maintain bardic music" or something like that.