PDA

View Full Version : The RSS-Feed for OotS

Ancalagon
2010-04-10, 03:59 AM
Anyone else uses the OotS-RSS-feed to get notified about updates?

What confuses me is that it is very, very delayed and I often get notifications of comic-updates hours (and I don't talk about two or three) after they appeared online.

I just got the feeds for 714 and 713 together. Is it my reader that collects them in a stupid way or the site here that does not have them updated for some reason?

apenpaap
2010-04-10, 04:24 AM
I use the RSS feed too (via Google Reader) and I've never had that problem.

Ancalagon
2010-04-10, 04:31 AM
Funny, as most other webcomics seem to work rather nicely...

Zxo
2010-04-10, 04:47 AM
I had the problem with the delay a few times, but it were minutes rather than hours. Maybe it's just the matter of not refreshing Google Reader, I think it reloads automatically from time to time when you leave it open, but surely not every second.

What I don't like is that the RSS gives me the link to the comic only, I cannot see the comic itself in Google Reader. It is the only comic in my RSSs so I do not know if that's the standard, but blogs I have in my Reader have pictures and they load all right.

Ancalagon
2010-04-10, 04:50 AM
Actually, my reader (Opera) refreshes once in a while and gets all sorts of updates. Just not the OotS that I read a few hours ago on the OotS-website...

And I do not really like feeds that contain the comic itself. I want to click the link and read the update on the site.

Zxo
2010-04-10, 04:55 AM
Actually, my reader (Opera) refreshes once in a while and gets all sorts of updates. Just not the OotS that I read a few hours ago on the OotS-website...

And I do not really like feeds that contain the comic itself. I want to click the link and read the update on the site.

It'd be good though if there was choice in what form you want to get the reader update, so that everybody could have it according to their preferences.

Herald Alberich
2010-04-10, 01:34 PM
I've noticed a delay with Firefox's Live Bookmarks, but not only with this comic. I think they just reload once in a while unless you force a refresh from the context menu.

silversaraph
2010-04-11, 10:58 AM
Google reader updates immediately for me, too. The problem is when I check it at 11:00, the comic updates at 11:10, and another one updates the next day at 11:01. With a sporadic update schedule, you can easily miss it.

Oh, and Google reader just says the name of the comic and gives a link for OoTS.

Ancalagon
2010-04-11, 11:03 AM
Never mind, the problem is on my side.

For some curious reason OotS was the onyl comic that was set to check every 24 hours (I did not change the default... mysterious). Anyway, it's Opera's fault (at least that's what I tell myself ;)), not giantitp.com's one.

Kondziu
2010-04-12, 03:42 PM
Never mind, the problem is on my side.
There is a problem on RSS' side, too. Each and every update lacks a <pubDate> tag, so news aggregators - particularly ones that don't save the feed locally - get confused when sorting by date. Let's say that my local news aggregator is set to fetch last 10 updates - with OotS feed I get 10 random ones, because it doesn't know which are recent. That's why I don't use OotS RSS. :(

I'd love to fix the problem for Rich if I could - it would make my life easier, and it'd be like 10 minutes of work (and 30 figuring what's going on in the code). ;)

By the way - hey, my first post! :)

Agi Hammerthief
2010-04-12, 03:47 PM
where can I change the RSS update scedule in FireFox?

I've got this delay problem with pretty much all RSS feeds

Wou
2010-04-12, 05:14 PM
I'm using Opera’s inbuilt rss reader, and for some reason update rate regulary sets itself to every 24h instead of the one I choose. I never had such problem with any other feed.