PDA

View Full Version : Spell-Storing Item

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-11, 10:11 AM
So, spell storing item:

"You can imbue any spell of 4th level of lower into an item, as long as the level of the spell does not exceed half your artificer level. Yadda yadda yadda, this effectively makes it into a wand with only one charge that only you can use."

So, does this mean that an 8th level Artificer is granted access to every spell 4th level or lower?

So, bard and ranger and cleric and wizard and every other class ever?

What about classes with fewer levels? For example, Bard maxes out at 6th level; does this mean the party artificer can be casting Bard spells a couple levels before the Bard can? (GLIBNESS)

What about spells that appear as multiple, different levels? For example, Dismissal is a 4th level cleric spell but a 5th level wizard spell. Can I still use it?

So yeah. Infinite options here. What are some important spells to consider preparing that I might otherwise miss out on?

Ranos
2010-04-11, 12:16 PM
Yes.
Which spells ? Depends on what kind of 'ficer you are. Also, remember that they cost you a bit of XP.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 03:32 PM
Knock is kinda cool. I had a game on Skype yesterday, and I unlocked an otherwise unpickable door with my sword :smallbiggrin:

Voidhawk
2010-04-11, 05:02 PM
Knock is kinda cool. I had a game on Skype yesterday, and I unlocked an otherwise unpickable door with my sword :smallbiggrin:

To be fair, barbarians do that all the time. :smalltongue:

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 05:05 PM
To be fair, barbarians do that all the time. :smalltongue:

True, but it was just me, a wizard and a clockroach. Me and the roach had already tried strength checks, and then I realized I had that ability, and escaped. I then got a nat 20 on a bluff check, so I could just walk out of there, no problem. :smallamused:

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-11, 05:08 PM
clockroach.

best familiar ever

Nidogg
2010-04-11, 05:10 PM
If you say psionics= magic (which is default state , astral construct can be dispelled) he also has every power below 4th as well... which can be augmented.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-11, 05:12 PM
Good power to use: Holy Sword.

4th level pally spell, makes your weapon +5 and Holy and acts as Protection from Evil for free.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 05:14 PM
best familiar ever

Hehe, yeah. Not a familiar, though. Just a construct I had with me. My homunculus was in my wagon, and was a Dedicated Wright.

Reminds me of another thing in that session. There was this semi-boss, some sergeant, whose toes I really don't envy. One of his men accidentally slashed it, and my clockroach kept on stabbing them with its pincers.

OK, to get back on topic:

If you say psionics= magic (which is default state , astral construct can be dispelled) he also has every power below 4th as well... which can be augmented.

Really? That's interesting...

Ranos
2010-04-11, 05:15 PM
Nah, sadly the transparency doesn't work that way. The only way artificers can access psionics is with the psionic artificer variant.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-11, 05:34 PM
Bestow Curse is a 3rd level spell.
Mark of Justice is 4th level.
Break Enchantment is 4th level.
Lesser Geas is 4th level.
Black Tentacles is 4th level.
Glibness is 3rd level.
Freedom of Movement is 4th level
Greater Invisibility is 4th level.
Reincarnate is 4th level

Nidogg
2010-04-11, 06:10 PM
Glibness is 3rd level.
Reincarnate is 4th level

Above are listed he mages toolkit. Now go kick non-broken behind with a contingency scroll (for re-encarnate, poor mans clone)

Starbuck_II
2010-04-11, 06:14 PM
Glibness is 3rd level.
Reincarnate is 4th level

I love the reincarnate useage.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-11, 06:17 PM
Hmm, Greater Invisibility+Holy Sword would be a nice combo.

ghashxx
2010-04-13, 09:10 PM
Something I just thought of. With the spell being any spell the artificer can cast, doesn't that restrict the possibilities a wee bit to only those who are making spell storing items?

PinkysBrain
2010-04-14, 05:39 AM
Without persistificer + unfettered heroism abuse the casting time for spell-storing item limits it power a bit too ... but yeah, you can do bloody everything.

Ranos
2010-04-14, 06:29 AM
Without persistificer + unfettered heroism abuse the casting time for spell-storing item limits it power a bit too ... but yeah, you can do bloody everything.

Rapid infusion helps a bit with that too. Especially in campaigns that don't use action points.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 09:15 AM

Nah, sadly the transparency doesn't work that way. The only way artificers can access psionics is with the psionic artificer variant.

The second is correct. Psionics also has a hard time of replicating Artificer Infusions (Bend Reality and Reality Revision are just about it, aside from Spell-to-Power Erudite).

Small question: Does it ever say in the ECS if Infusions are subject to Dispelling? I know the effects can be suppressed via AMF, but I don't recall if they can be dispelled outright.

Ranos
2010-04-14, 12:27 PM
Says they function like spells. I suppose your interpretation is as good as mine, but I'd rule they can be dispelled.