PDA

View Full Version : New Factors for Epic Spells(3.5)

Magicyop
2010-04-12, 10:58 AM
So, you need to create one of those nifty-cool pieces of supermagic- an epic spell. Only, you find that your exact intent cannot be accomplished by the factors and seeds readily available. What do you do? Well, of course, you ask your local DM if you can create a new factor. The issue is balancing this with the other factors and seeds available. Just posted this thread to find out what kind of new factors you have used in the past, or any cool ideas you have for new factors, and what kind of spellcraft DC you think should go along. I'll kick it off with one that I think is necessary in a lot of spells that I've thought up.

Factors
-Those killed by spell cannot be resurrected by normal means, only by divine intervention or an epic life spell, in which case you make an opposed caster level check to see if they can succeed in raising the dead. +15 Spellcraft
-Increase damage dice or spell penetration at one-half the normal spellcraft cost, but only for a specific type of enemy. Variable

Zexion
2010-04-12, 12:26 PM
What about a spell that is specially suited for harming gods and the like.
Ignore 1 point of a target's Divine Bonus when making an attack, defending against an attack, or passing through AC. +3 DC per step.

The Tygre
2010-04-12, 01:25 PM
I think an overlooked detail of Epic Magic these days is that new kinds of magic have come to the fore. How about some Epic for things like Pacts, Shadows, and Incarnum? Or making components out of psionics to make Epic psionic incantations or whatever? Just throwing out some ideas here.

Magicyop
2010-04-12, 01:51 PM
I like those ideas a lot. The one problem with a god killing factor is that factors aren't really spells, they are pieces that you use to create an epic spell, and getting through defenses is something covered mostly by pre-existing factors. What about some sort of factor which increases the benefits of the spell for a cheaper spellcraft, but for only one specific type of creature, like a god?

Tygre, can you elaborate on what you're thinking? It seems like you have some really intriguing ideas.

The Tygre
2010-04-12, 02:20 PM
What I'm saying is, why limit Epic Spells to traditional Arcane and Divine? Why not make seeds so you could make Epic Spells for other magic systems, like Incarnum or Psionics. (I'd throw Truenaming in here too but... well... Truenaming.) But to build those up, you'd need new components and seeds (maybe, I would think, possibly). That way Epic Spellcasting wouldn't be reserved for Arcane and Divine casters, but any caster. (Unless it isn't already; I'm kind of fuzzy on that.) I keep trying to think how you could make epic Pact-making, though. I know there are Epic vestiges, but still...

Glimbur
2010-04-12, 03:03 PM
I think an overlooked detail of Epic Magic these days is that new kinds of magic have come to the fore. How about some Epic for things like Pacts, Shadows, and Incarnum? Or making components out of psionics to make Epic psionic incantations or whatever? Just throwing out some ideas here.

There are Epic rules for Incarnum, amusingly. They're near the back of the book. You can get essentia for feats at a better rate, open your Heart or Soul chakras, more melds shaped, another bind, a class feature of Incarnates, or a very limited ability to rebind soulmelds on the fly.

More interesting/useful would be special Epic soulmelds which you have to get access to via an Epic feat. This means they could be fairly powerful; but not super awesome due to them being all day buffs. An extra chakra only available in Epic would also be awesome... for silly games the Pants chakra and for more serious games the Aura chakra.