PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting into Exalted.

tribble
2010-04-12, 07:36 PM
Me and my brother are thinking of getting into Exalted. However, I'm wary of making a mistake when I buy. Which product should I purchase to start with?

Fortuna
2010-04-12, 07:40 PM
The core rulebook is a 20 USD pdf online, and contains the basic rules for Solar Exalts. It's a damn big beastie at 406 pages, so you'll have plenty to occupy you and decide if you like the system.

Lochar
2010-04-12, 07:41 PM
You need the Core book to get started. Beyond that, the Compass books give details on different locations in the world and beyond.

Manuals of Exalted Power books are how to build and play characters that are not the default Solars from Core.

The books of sorcery give details on new artifacts, spells, and more demons/ghosts and such.

Personally, I'd go with Core, a Compass book for the direction your game will be going in, and possibly Book of Sorcery one and three for artifacts and other interesting items. If you don't want to play a Solar, then grab the Manual book for the type of Exalted you want to play as.

And I'm probably going to be ninja'd.

Erith
2010-04-13, 10:16 PM
I'm also looking into Exalted. Sorry if this is a newb question, but how good of an indicator is keychain of creation (http://keychain.patternspider.net/)?

Lunars intrigue me, how are they to play?

Tyrrell
2010-04-13, 10:31 PM
I'm also looking into Exalted. Sorry if this is a newb question, but how good of an indicator is keychain of creation (http://keychain.patternspider.net/)?

Lunars intrigue me, how are they to play?
Keychain is at least as typical of Exalted games as OOTS is typical of D&D games.

Lunars rock they're my favorite characters. Their starting character setup is a little weaker than solars, abyssals, infernals or siderials. Their charms are a bit more expensive than others but the charms are somewhat more widely applicable so it isn't that big of a problem. Shape changing can be more useful than a dozen charms and Lunars get it without spending xp.

In combat Lunars don't have access to the perfect effects that solars, abyssals and infernals do but they are set up to go from completely unprepared to incredibly powerful in 1 single "tick". No other character type can do that. When fighting anything that isn't a solar lunars are as potent as anything in the game, when fighting a solar (or corrupted solar i.e. abyssal or infernal) the solar's access to inexpensive perfect effects gives the the glowy sun children the upper hand.

tribble
2010-04-14, 09:36 PM
The core rulebook is a 20 USD pdf online, and contains the basic rules for Solar Exalts. It's a damn big beastie at 406 pages, so you'll have plenty to occupy you and decide if you like the system.

I know this isn't frontpage anymore, but it just seemed frivilous to make another thread asking where I can download this.:smallredface:

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-14, 09:40 PM
I know this isn't frontpage anymore, but it just seemed frivilous to make another thread asking where I can download this.:smallredface:

Its only thread necromancy if it's both more two months old and past the third page. You;re fine.

Kylarra
2010-04-14, 09:44 PM
I know this isn't frontpage anymore, but it just seemed frivilous to make another thread asking where I can download this.:smallredface:Sent you a pm. Not sure about linking directly, but it's easily found by browsing the white wolf site (white-wolf.com).