PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Warrior - PRC - PEACH

Mongoose87
2010-04-14, 12:05 AM
Essentially, an attempt to give the Fighter a little something. It's probably better than a lot of non-ToB martial classes, but that's not saying much, is it?

"Earn it, kid. Earn it."

The Veteran Warrior
A warrior sees many things in his time. Strong men break down and cry, small men become heroes, and good men become corpses on the field of battle. By surviving as long as he has, the veteran warrior gains considerable skill from his experience in war.
Hit Die: D10

Prerequisites
Class Levels:Six Levels of Fighter
Base Attack Bonus: 8

Skills at each level: 4+int
Balance(Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal(Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis), Swim (Str).
THE VETERAN WARRIOR
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Weaponry Enhancement

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Combat Ability

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Combat Ability

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Combat Ability

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Combat Ability[/table]

Class Features

Weaponry Enhancement (Ex): Through the power of your might and experience, you are able to use weapons as though they are magically enchanted. You may use Greater Magic Weapon as an extraordinary ability, with a caster level equal to your base attack bonus. This may be done once per day per class level.

Combat Ability: At every level after first, you choose one of the following abilities to add to your repertoire.

Pounce(Ex): When you make a charge attack, you can make a full attack.

Flightbreaker(Ex): You are the bane of flying foes. Using a combination of precision, timing and brute force, you are able to disrupt a flying enemy. As a standard action, you make an attack against a flying target. If it hits, they immediately fall a number of feet equal to your base attack bonus. They continue falling until they succeed on a reflex save, made on their turn. The DC for this save is equal to five plus the damage dealt for melee attacks, or ten plus the damage dealt for ranged attacks.

Lethal Shot(Ex): Using your accrued knowledge, you take shots less likely to hit, but that are more devastating. You may take a penalty on your ranged attacks up to your base attack bonus and gain a bonus to damage equal to twice that number. This ability functions as the feat Power Attack, except for ranged weapons.

Spellcasting Harrier(Ex): You gain the feat Spellcasting Harrier (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Spellcasting_Harrier), even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

Ranged Opportunist(Ex): You may use a ranged weapon to take attacks of opportunity as though you have a twenty foot reach. You may take this ability more than once - each additional time increases this range by ten feet.

Broad Specialization(Ex): Any weapon-specific feat you take, such as Weapon Focus, or Improved Critical, applies to any weapon you wield. This does not apply, however, to combat style feats, or to the Discipline Focus feat.

Flexible Reach(Ex): You are well-practiced with reach weapons. You may use any reach weapon to hit a target adjacent to you.

Mettle(Ex): If you are subject to a spell with Will or Fortitude save Partial, and make the save, you are unaffected by the spell.

Lunging Step(Ex): Your experience has taught you how to better choose your position in battle. Whenever you make a five-foot step, you may choose to extend it to ten feet. All ten feet must be in the same direction.

Improved Precision(Ex): Though most are unable to, you have learned how to strike the most deadly blows against even foes usually invulnerable. You may now deal precision damage, such as sneak attacks and critical hits, to foes usually immune, such as undead. However, you only deal half the extra damage against these foes.

EDIT: Added Improved Precision

Pink
2010-04-14, 02:23 PM
First things first. Is this somehow supposed to be a fighter fix disguised as a PrC? Because with a requirement of six fighter levels, I can't see it as much else. Not complaining if it is, just wondering for analytical purposes. However if that is the case, why have the bab requirement, and have it at a different fighter level?

Is there a reason for all good saves, or is this just a reward for taking 6 levels in fighter?

For weapon enhancment, I don't know how beneficial additional casting would be. Durations is hours per level. I suppose you might need to use a different weapon, or might want to enhance other party members weapons. Seems lackluster overall, you'll already have a comparable magic weapon unless the dm is stingy. Really just let's the party caster prepare something else instead of the weapon buff.

Flightbreaker I just don't get. You make the enemy fall slower than they otherwise would? And how would you even use a melee attack with this?

Don't have the ability to fully analyze all the class options, but nothing looks really special. Some of them are either alternate class features, or otherwise don't feel special or unique. There's also little reason to take the full class and take all the abilities you can. If you're the archer fighter, you take until you get the archery abilities, if you're the reach weapon user, you take that ability.

I think it'd be better to just make some of these feats with a requirement of fighter levels, because that's essentially what this class feels like already.

Volthawk
2010-04-14, 03:10 PM
Wait, over the 5 levels you only get +1 BAB? That's worse than casting PrCs!

Mongoose87
2010-04-14, 04:46 PM
First things first. Is this somehow supposed to be a fighter fix disguised as a PrC? Because with a requirement of six fighter levels, I can't see it as much else. Not complaining if it is, just wondering for analytical purposes. However if that is the case, why have the bab requirement, and have it at a different fighter level?

Is there a reason for all good saves, or is this just a reward for taking 6 levels in fighter?

It is, indeed, supposed to be something of a "fighter fix." I wanted it to be achievable only by either level. However, I didn't want to completely discourage multiclassing, thus the different level and BaB reqs.

The good saves reflect an increased level of survivability.

For weapon enhancment, I don't know how beneficial additional casting would be. Durations is hours per level. I suppose you might need to use a different weapon, or might want to enhance other party members weapons. Seems lackluster overall, you'll already have a comparable magic weapon unless the dm is stingy. Really just let's the party caster prepare something else instead of the weapon buff.

The idea is to allow you to change your weapon's properties, on the fly, or allow you to have to well-enhanced weapons. It can be expensive to have, say, both a bow and a sword with decent enhancements on them - this alleviates that. It also makes the fighter less screwed after a sunder.

Flightbreaker I just don't get. You make the enemy fall slower than they otherwise would? And how would you even use a melee attack with this?

The idea is that a flying creature is knocked out of the air, and tries to recover. They cannot recover before they fall 20ft, but, after that, they get a chance to recover, before they spend their turn falling.

Wait, over the 5 levels you only get +1 BAB? That's worse than casting PrCs!

Ah, yes, that's an oops.