PDA

View Full Version : ABR Discussion Thread XXXII - Imperfectly Rebooted

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:40 PM
Why would you want the organ that cleans urine?

Threeshades
2010-06-01, 03:44 PM
crims, could you post your old avatar for me, I just made some colour adjustments to my monitor, and your avatar would help me for reference.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-01, 03:46 PM
i should make a comic too >.>

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:46 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/oots/d538.png My origional had gradients on the fur, so take this one.

Threeshades
2010-06-01, 03:52 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/oots/d538.png My origional had gradients on the fur, so take this one.

Thank you. It's still off but slightly better than before...

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:53 PM
What's off?

Mina Kobold
2010-06-01, 03:57 PM
Why would you want the organ that cleans urine?

Just said why, Callos always gets them in the FFRPGs (mainly NarutoITP)

It's part of the initiation ritual, you'd want a kidney too after that :smalleek::smalltongue:

Threeshades
2010-06-01, 03:58 PM
What's off?

the colours on my monitor. The monocle and string are hard to differentiate from the green, while on the other monitor they are very clearly visible.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-01, 03:58 PM
OK, just clean up after it.

licoot
2010-06-01, 04:00 PM
Just said why, Callos always gets them in the FFRPGs (mainly NarutoITP)

It's part of the initiation ritual, you'd want a kidney too after that :smalleek::smalltongue:

*Runs away*
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:smalleek:

Silverraptor
2010-06-01, 04:33 PM
If you don't have one by tonight i'll eat your insides. Such plentifull organs!

Okay, thanks for the chance.

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-01, 05:21 PM
I've been thinking hard about something. Specifically, how to fit Siniguin brandishing the bee gun and and saying "It's not over. It has only just...beegun." somewhere into FFF: R.

I am a terrible, terrible person.

Kumo
2010-06-01, 05:32 PM
I've been thinking hard about something. Specifically, how to fit Siniguin brandishing the bee gun and and saying "It's not over. It has only just...beegun." somewhere into FFF: R.

I am a terrible, terrible person.

i'm half expecting him to pick up the gun, read the note on it, run around screaming, and having somebody go 'I think his moral framework just SNAPPED!' And someone reply 'what moral framework?'

Keris
2010-06-01, 05:43 PM

That joke is utterly a-pollen'. I can't bee-lieve you'd stoop so low, it really stung. I thought it might be bee-neath you, but it seems you're just a buzz-kill.

Kumo
2010-06-01, 05:51 PM
That joke is utterly a-pollen'. I can't bee-lieve you'd stoop so low, it really stung. I thought it might be bee-neath you, but it seems you're just a buzz-kill.

*pulls out a flame-thrower and starts speaking with a thick, unrecognizable accent* Prepare to be punished! This will sting worse than your joke... ok maybe not that beedly. I'm about to burn you up like nobody's beesness.

EDIT: Seriously though i like the a-pollen one :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-02, 05:34 AM
FFF:r

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt255/silverraptor_photo/ABR/ABRFFFr11.png

Technically its still night where I am here. As for what I want, is for team evil to chase Victor to the heros so that they all can have the proper fight for the key. Much more suitable then this game of "Steal the hot potato".

Aww, but I liked the "Steal the hot potato" game :smallfrown:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-02, 08:20 AM
Grrrr the First Key is slowly slipping outa Maestro's grasp...
I wish I could get off my ass and make a comic but im wayyyy to busy at the moment...

licoot
2010-06-02, 08:45 AM
@Fay:I could have the musician step in and get it for him

Silverraptor
2010-06-02, 01:08 PM
Aww, but I liked the "Steal the hot potato" game :smallfrown:

Too bad.:smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-02, 02:51 PM
@Fay:I could have the musician step in and get it for him

I'm not too sure about "The Musician", If anything, A fiddle play would need to be called "Johnny" and have a golden fiddle XD

Also, Maestro only just got hold of the big fish... >.>
He doesn't yet know the location of the first key...

licoot
2010-06-02, 02:59 PM
Good point, and 'the musician' never sounded like a good name anyway, i just couldn't think of a better one

kpenguin
2010-06-02, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, YPU, the originator of ABR, is on the IRC channel. Come check it out!

YPU
2010-06-02, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, YPU, the originator of ABR, is on the IRC channel. Come check it out!

And open to all questions!

Not that I could answer any of them, probably, but Who cares!

kpenguin
2010-06-02, 05:00 PM
THAT'S RIGHT

CHAT LIVE WITH YPU THE CREATOR OF ABR

Only on...

#AvatarBattleRoyale! Join now!:smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-02, 05:01 PM
Interviews are acceptable.

Kumo
2010-06-02, 05:27 PM
THAT'S RIGHT

CHAT LIVE WITH YPU THE CREATOR OF ABR

Only on...

#AvatarBattleRoyale! Join now!:smalltongue:

Only if i don't get instasilenced >.>

Rae Artemi
2010-06-02, 09:12 PM
I wonder If Raziere realizes that I'm still outside, and know about the key, and will get off my lazy ass and make a comic within the next two days. (after the WAAAAAAAAAAAY late Flaws comic I need to make, Sorry Kumo:smallredface:)

Kumo
2010-06-02, 09:24 PM
I wonder If Raziere realizes that I'm still outside, and know about the key, and will get off my lazy ass and make a comic within the next two days. (after the WAAAAAAAAAAAY late Flaws comic I need to make, Sorry Kumo:smallredface:)

I hope you still have the script because im pretty sure i deleted it already :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-02, 10:32 PM

yes, yes I do. why do you think Rsiqar is flying so fast?

Rae Artemi
2010-06-03, 01:09 PM
yes, yes I do. why do you think Rsiqar is flying so fast?

It wont help if a wall with the strength of mythril instantaneously appears in front of you.

Silverraptor
2010-06-03, 01:15 PM
Doesn't the air ship have guns on it? Shoot him outta the sky!:smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-03, 01:28 PM
Doesn't the air ship have guns on it? Shoot him outta the sky!:smalltongue:

This reminds me, what happened to the brid?

It was right next to him... Maybe it hid in his pocket to look for candy intel :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2010-06-03, 03:06 PM
This reminds me, what happened to the brid?

It was right next to him... Maybe it hid in his pocket to look for candy intel :smalltongue:

Oh, so many possibilities on screwing a guy over. I love ABR.:smallcool:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-04, 03:52 PM
Hey, may I join? I'd need a little more practice before trying to make my own comic. And 'cause this is really..ahem, fun, I have a few ideas for a continutaition (awkward word. Did I spell it right?). I read the rules and won't bother you with some long boring scenes (although..), god-modding or anything stupid like that. I'm currently browsing through FFF archives and trying to read all that. :D
So..if I may, let me know please. Pretty pleease?

Join. PLEASE!

Mina Kobold
2010-06-04, 03:59 PM
Hey, may I join? I'd need a little more practice before trying to make my own comic. And 'cause this is really..ahem, fun, I have a few ideas for a continutaition (awkward word. Did I spell it right?). I read the rules and won't bother you with some long boring scenes (although..), god-modding or anything stupid like that. I'm currently browsing through FFF archives and trying to read all that. :D
So..if I may, let me know please. Pretty pleease?

As long as you don't god-mod you are always welcome in ABR :smallsmile:

On another note; talent or skills are best practised by using them, show us what you can draw and join a plot :smallbiggrin:

Felyndiira
2010-06-04, 04:49 PM
Okay, thanks. Though there might be a little problem with time. I live in Europe, so updates will be surely little off.(It's like 23:22 now for me.)But tomorrow..well, you'll see. :smallwink:

A lot of people here live in Europe. You won't have to worry about that =p.

We're all relatively lazy, so it's usually a day or two before posts start going up. Since ABR is a sporadic thing, time zones won't be an issue at all; just post whenever you have the time to and/or feel like making a response to something ^^.

And yessssss, joinssssss ^_^.

-skimmer-
2010-06-04, 04:54 PM
Okay, thanks. Though there might be a little problem with time. I live in Europe, so updates will be surely little off.(It's like 23:22 now for me.)But tomorrow..well, you'll see. :smallwink:

Don't worry, people here comes from all timezones possible. Also, it's not like we actually have an exact schedule for it, so feel free to update whenever you want:smallsmile: (But please, don't overdo it like me:smalltongue:)

Mina Kobold
2010-06-04, 05:33 PM

So do I, and -Skimmer- for that matter...

What happened to him?

EDIT:

@^: Ah, there he is :smalltongue:

-skimmer-
2010-06-04, 05:46 PM
So do I, and -Skimmer- for that matter...

What happened to him?

EDIT:

@^: Ah, there he is :smalltongue:

I'm in the same timezone as her actually..

Also I'm way too busy right now, school and everything...but I still check on this forum daily, so I'm not quite dead yet:smallwink:

I promise my comeback will be epic:smallcool:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-04, 06:41 PM
I'm in the same timezone as her actually..

Also I'm way too busy right now, school and everything...but I still check on this forum daily, so I'm not quite dead yet:smallwink:

I promise my comeback will be epic:smallcool:

And you where in Central Europe, right?

*scribbles notes and random doodles*

My calculations tell me that would be UCT+1... Waitaminute! That's my timezone!

This can only mean one thing!

Which I haven't figured out what is yet, 'night everybody! :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2010-06-04, 08:37 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to tell you all how absolutely fantastic I feel today. I'd elaborate, but I posted a thread in Friendly Banter telling the story.

Will make comics soon. Promise.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-04, 08:54 PM
Huzzah!

Maybe you'll respond to the RK I made forever ago killiing all the penguins in ABR.

Kumo
2010-06-04, 09:08 PM
Huzzah!

Maybe you'll respond to the RK I made forever ago killiing all the penguins in ABR.

Don't you talk about waiting on RK responses :smallannoyed:

LOL JK

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-04, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah, you.

Kumo
2010-06-04, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, you.

:smallfrown::smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:45 AM
Grr, I'll make my character move when I feel like it. Noone will move her for me.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-05, 10:54 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff92/Naaga_photos/Yay%20fanart/AvatarBattleRoyal/001.png
Okay, my character named Lily (she's a bugbear, let's not forget that.) has a certain reason for getting that key. You'll learn that once, don't worry :D

And I couldn't resist fitting in the start of a fight between that lizard-something and the hobbit girl.
(Does she have a name? She's so cute.)
And of course - be so kind and pardon my mistakes, if they appear. I'm not a native English speaker.

Uhm, controlling the actions of other people's characters when it's not neccesary that they act before their owners can post might be god-modding, I think.

Lily's cool, though :smallsmile:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:59 AM
Yes please. :smallsmile:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 11:07 AM
Just the parts with my character.

Tiffanie Lirle
2010-06-05, 01:55 PM
Gonna have an FFF:R comic up in a couple of hours, this Loony Toons business with the red key is getting old now. :smalltongue:

licoot
2010-06-05, 01:56 PM
Decided I wouldn't put that guy who is a servant to maestro yet, so I really need an idea for a character, but i cant think of one

Silverraptor
2010-06-05, 02:03 PM
Gonna have an FFF:R comic up in a couple of hours, this Loony Toons business with the red key is getting old now. :smalltongue:

Yes, Thank you.

Felyndiira
2010-06-05, 02:10 PM

Aww, but this means I have to quickly finish my part of the comic with the second key.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-05, 03:32 PM

I know, can't you guys just let a guy slightly derail your plot in peace? :smallbiggrin:

sorry, I'm just kidding....

Kumo
2010-06-05, 03:41 PM
Decided I wouldn't put that guy who is a servant to maestro yet, so I really need an idea for a character, but i cant think of one

A halfling cleric/dragon disciple who dual wields shields.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:30 PM
Stop adding keys!!!

Kumo
2010-06-05, 10:36 PM
Stop adding keys!!!

Technically they're just bringing them around, the keys already existed :smalltongue:

Also: If i were anywhere near that part of the plot i'd be saying that the red key is now sucky as crap and would like to request you hurry your asses up to the next key :smallannoyed:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:38 PM
Fel introduced two whole keys were only she is, she might get two of them before we even have one!

Lord Raziere
2010-06-05, 10:39 PM
I thought she only introduced one.

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:43 PM
She introduced yellow and orange.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-05, 10:44 PM
She introduced yellow and orange.

orange, yes, but yellow? where?

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 10:46 PM
It was in both of her comics...

Kumo
2010-06-05, 10:59 PM
It was in both of her comics...

Whose comics are YOU looking at? :smallconfused:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-05, 11:01 PM
You don't see the Giant Yellow Key on the orc's back?

Kumo
2010-06-05, 11:04 PM

You know what a SILENT IMAGE is, right?

FFF:R
http://i49.tinypic.com/b6y25g.png

Introduction comic, etc.

At this moment, Fel (my character) is in a different location, where the second key (and the decedent of a certain half-orc cleric) happens to be. Don't worry, she won't run away with it, though it might alter the key predictions a little.

In the meantime, the second key's side-story moves on due to sudden lack of laziness inspiration =p.

FFF:R
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7752/secondcomic.png

Before any questions arise: yes, that is the second (orange) key that the dwarf girl is holding. Yes, she is using it as a guitar. No, don't ask me how it works (permanent glue and wood, most likely) and yes, the strings can be removed, but why would you want to as opposed to having a totally playable key-guitar :smalltongue:?

And yes, those are heavy metal/rock dwarves with face paint. Kippie made me do it XD.

V'icternus
2010-06-06, 02:41 AM
The Yellow Key was a phoney! A big fat phoney!

Felyndiira
2010-06-06, 08:46 AM

That was a bit of a ret-con. KP informed me that the yellow key is Chu's key (and that the orc's key is the red key that everyone's fighting for), so I ret-conned away the yellow key, edited the half-orc to a dwarf metal rocker, and put the orange key there instead.

The yellow key is still out at large, likely in the back pocket of Ash Ketchum Lying, currently in a paradise of pikachu pikalites with thunderstones =p.

licoot
2010-06-06, 09:32 AM
I'll have a comic up sometime today or early tomorrow, drawing other peoples characters is so hard:smallfrown:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-06, 02:44 PM
I'll have a comic up sometime today or early tomorrow, drawing other peoples characters is so hard:smallfrown:

yea, its always so time-consuming, the one thing I wish to be able to do is find the time to draw everyone's characters in my own style so I can respond to comics quicker.

Kumo
2010-06-06, 02:47 PM
yea, its always so time-consuming, the one thing I wish to be able to do is find the time to draw everyone's characters in my own style so I can respond to comics quicker.

I just wait until i actually need to draw them for a scene

Lord Raziere
2010-06-06, 02:52 PM
I just wait until i actually need to draw them for a scene

that is exactly what I hate.

I just don't wanna draw the characters, I wanna draw them well. the last comic made me rush them. I wish I could somehow stop time and just make templates for them in advance so I when they come around I don't have to inconveniently draw them while in the process of making the comic.

Kumo
2010-06-06, 05:09 PM
that is exactly what I hate.

I just don't wanna draw the characters, I wanna draw them well. the last comic made me rush them. I wish I could somehow stop time and just make templates for them in advance so I when they come around I don't have to inconveniently draw them while in the process of making the comic.

Do you keep templates with no features? All i really gotta do is recolor the skin and add clothes and hair =/

Lord Raziere
2010-06-06, 06:01 PM
Do you keep templates with no features? All i really gotta do is recolor the skin and add clothes and hair =/

yes, I call em blueprints. I do exactly that and the process still feels too long and frustrating for me.

maybe I should have blueprints for clothes and hair as well?

Kumo
2010-06-06, 06:03 PM
yes, I call em blueprints. I do exactly that and the process still feels too long and frustrating for me.

maybe I should have blueprints for clothes and hair as well?

Meh. i just make it once and if it's similar to someone else's crap, copy+paste+recolor.

Also: what program do you use to draw?

Lord Raziere
2010-06-06, 06:12 PM
inkscape. why?

Kumo
2010-06-06, 06:29 PM
inkscape. why?

Curiousity.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-06, 06:47 PM
It usually takes me maybe ten minutes tops to recreate someone else's character.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-07, 10:25 AM
Depending on if i have the templates to Abu- mole-....
... Ermm... "utilize" it can take me anywhere up to a few hours to design / recreate a character (that usually ends up more detailed then the original).
New Halo based comic with Project Classified "flash backs" in development.

Kumo
2010-06-07, 10:30 AM
i try to stay as true as i can to the character's original design. Five to ten minutes (accumulatively) is the norm.

Rae Artemi
2010-06-07, 10:46 AM
It takes me about a half hour to make each character.

This is a message for Kumo's eyes only, the rest of you move along :smalltongue::
I wont have the next Flaws til Thursday, I'm going to camp.
:smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-07, 11:12 AM
I wont have the next Flaws til Thursday, I'm going camp.

So? being camp doesn't stop you making comics :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Kumo
2010-06-08, 12:34 AM
It takes me about a half hour to make each character.

This is a message for Kumo's eyes only, the rest of you move along :smalltongue::
I wont have the next Flaws til Thursday, I'm going to camp.
They have a pm box for a reason :smalltongue:

lol

Honestly, Rae, i can wait. I'm just worried people will stop reading it - assuming they do read it anyway.

@Fay: It does if your art program and/or the internet isn't there :smalltongue:

Khaeta
2010-06-08, 12:47 PM
*yawn* :smallsigh:

Hello. I think I may be coming back...and I might even make some comics once I catch up on my FI/FF:R reading (although I have heard that at least one is somewhat dead...)

-skimmer-
2010-06-08, 12:53 PM
*yawn* :smallsigh:

Hello. I think I may be coming back...and I might even make some comics once I catch up on my FI/FF:R reading (although I have heard that at least one is somewhat dead...)

Nah, it shall be revived when the right time comes:smallsmile:

Kumo
2010-06-08, 12:56 PM
Nah, it shall be revived when the right time comes:smallsmile:

oooooooh! if you don't already have an idea, i've got one! Can i try?! Pwease?! pwease?! pwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!?!

-skimmer-
2010-06-08, 01:00 PM
oooooooh! if you don't already have an idea, i've got one! Can i try?! Pwease?! pwease?! pwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!?!

You're free to do whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as it's cool enough:smallcool:

Khaeta
2010-06-08, 06:05 PM
What are we referring to, FFF:R or FI? :smallconfused:

Also sweet new laptop for the win! :smallbiggrin:

Kumo
2010-06-08, 06:22 PM
What are we referring to, FFF:R or FI? :smallconfused:

Also sweet new laptop for the win! :smallbiggrin:

really? me too =D

FI. it's pretty much died off.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-08, 07:50 PM
Oi, I'm still playing with it, I'm just very busy. :smallannoyed:

Kumo
2010-06-08, 08:03 PM
Oi, I'm still playing with it, I'm just very busy. :smallannoyed:

i used the term 'pretty much', Lying. :smallannoyed:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-09, 05:14 AM
Same here as with lying, My college course is taking up a lot of time. :smallfrown:

V'icternus
2010-06-09, 08:13 AM
So, while not "dead", you might say FI is...

:smallcool:

Imperfect?

kpenguin
2010-06-09, 09:20 AM

Imperfect?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Kumo
2010-06-09, 09:23 AM

Imperfect?

Yes, but then i would be shot for making such a terrible joke :smalltongue:

Khaeta
2010-06-09, 04:38 PM
Yes, but then i would be shot for making such a terrible joke :smalltongue:

*looks at Kumo*

*looks at Vic*

*looks at Kumo*

*turns around and shoots Vic*

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-09, 06:02 PM
Introducing Sinister Flamingo and Sinister Pterodactyl. Coming soon to an FFF: R comic near you. Maybe.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/SinisterPenguin/sinisterteam.png

Who are they? Why do they want the keys? What is their relation to Sinister Penguin? Why do I now have 3 characters that are sinister birds? (Well, uh, two birds and one kinda-sorta bird-ish thing.) Good questions. I have no idea!

Threeshades
2010-06-09, 06:47 PM
Introducing Sinister Flamingo and Sinister Pterodactyl. Coming soon to an FFF: R comic near you. Maybe.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/SinisterPenguin/sinisterteam.png

Who are they? Why do they want the keys? What is their relation to Sinister Penguin? Why do I now have 3 characters that are sinister birds? (Well, uh, two birds and one kinda-sorta bird-ish thing.) Good questions. I have no idea!

Your Pterodactyl looks suspiciously like a Pteranodon to me.

Pterodactyl isn't exactly wrong but it is a bit like referring to sinister penguin as "Sinister Bird"

V'icternus
2010-06-09, 07:20 PM
Huh, I was under the impression that the Pterodactyl was a type of Pterosaur...

kpenguin
2010-06-09, 08:28 PM
No, you're thinking of a pterodactylus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactylus). Pterodactyl is generic term for all pterosaurs.

V'icternus
2010-06-09, 10:38 PM
Oh, good.

...So, prehistoric flying reptiles asside, we have three Sinister (and possibly delicious) birds now.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-10, 03:53 AM
Strictly speaking pterodactylus is a reptile, not a bird.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-10, 04:34 AM
and birds evolved from the same reptiles. It doesn't make Sinister Pteranodon a bird but it opens up the possibility of the Sinister Birds being it's great-great-great-etc- grandchildren :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-06-10, 08:38 AM
I cannot tell you how much more satisfying it is to be able to refer to a giant leathery bird by it's proper terminology. :roy:

Translation: WHO CARES WHAT WE CALL IT?! its a giant leathery bird/lizard thing, let's just call it Sinister Pterodactyl and move on.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-10, 09:16 AM
I cannot tell you how much more satisfying it is to be able to refer to a giant leathery bird by it's proper terminology. :roy:

Translation: WHO CARES WHAT WE CALL IT?! its a giant leathery bird/lizard thing, let's just call it Sinister Pterodactyl and move on.

This is ABR, bub.

We only stay remotely on topic because the powers that be tell us to :smalltongue:

Besides, I propose that Sinister Pete would be a more fitting name.

Kumo
2010-06-10, 09:26 AM
This is ABR, bub.

We only stay remotely on topic because the powers that be tell us to :smalltongue:What does that have to do with the post you quoted? :smallannoyed:

Besides, I propose that Sinister Pete would be a more fitting name.
He's already named it. MOVE ON.

Keris
2010-06-10, 10:57 AM
Pterodactyl isn't exactly wrong but it is a bit like referring to sinister penguin as "Sinister Bird"
It would only really be like calling SP "Sinister Bird" if he called the Pterosaur "Sinister Reptile".
'Pterodactyl' is a term used to refer to members of the order Pterosauria, 'Penguin' can refer to any member of the order Sphenisciformes and 'Flamingo' refers to members of the order Phoenicopteriformes. They all fit on the same taxonomic level.
Arguably, since Sphenisciformes and Phoenicopteriformes are monotypic, 'penguin' and 'flamingo' could refer to their respective families. But I'm ignoring that bit.

Strictly speaking pterodactylus is a reptile, not a bird.
And modern birds are reptiles as well. Sort of. "Reptiles" are "Amniotes who are not mammals or birds".

It doesn't make Sinister Pteranodon a bird but it opens up the possibility of the Sinister Birds being it's great-great-great-etc- grandchildren :smalltongue:
Well, there isn't really that possibility. For one thing, birds evolved from dinosaurs, and pterosaurs aren't dinosaurs.

WHO CARES WHAT WE CALL IT?!
We care, evidently. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2010-06-10, 11:00 AM

Indeed. For once, the topic of discussion is on-topic and we're enjoying the rhetoric.

Kumo
2010-06-10, 11:10 AM

:smallfurious:

Indeed. For once, the topic of discussion is on-topic and we're enjoying the rhetoric.

And i'm enjoying being extremely ticked off at your argument over semantics. Stop with your 'reasoning'! :smalltongue:

Seriously im laughing my head off.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-10, 11:26 AM
What does that have to do with the post you quoted? :smallannoyed:

You are obviously annoyed by us not discussing anything of relevance, or at least your comments strongly suggest so, and I supplied you with an explanation for why. Even if it explained nothing

Well, there isn't really that possibility. For one thing, birds evolved from dinosaurs, and pterosaurs aren't dinosaurs.

I understand, were a bit unsure about which extinct reptile evolved into birds and which did not. Thank you for clarifying me.

But then again, are we sure that the Sinister Birds, referring to them as such for convenience's sake, followed natural evolution? Or for that matter whether Avbaroy followed the same path as our world did?

Fay Graydon
2010-06-10, 11:27 AM
Bleh, Quick, I need a Failproof way of setting my classmates on fire for tomorrow! :smallannoyed:
God college is a drag :smallsigh:

Anyway! Contributing to the sinsister thing...
It looks wierd, but im gunna call it...
Sinister Aerodactyl

Kumo
2010-06-10, 11:34 AM
You are obviously annoyed by us not discussing anything of relevance, or at least your comments strongly suggest so, and I supplied you with an explanation for why. Even if it explained nothing

Nah. I'm strongly suggesting that i am annoyed by people arguing over what it's called. Whether or not it's relevant is up to you.

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-10, 01:36 PM
It would only really be like calling SP "Sinister Bird" if he called the Pterosaur "Sinister Reptile".
'Pterodactyl' is a term used to refer to members of the order Pterosauria, 'Penguin' can refer to any member of the order Sphenisciformes and 'Flamingo' refers to members of the order Phoenicopteriformes. They all fit on the same taxonomic level.

Ah, excellent. So pterodactyl is correct, or at least correct enough with relation to flamingo and penguin. Sinister Pterodactyl it is!

kpenguin
2010-06-10, 01:44 PM
How... left handed.

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-10, 01:55 PM
How... left handed.

I'm...not sure what you mean? :smallconfused:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-10, 02:07 PM
How... left handed.

Should TOTALLY be Dexter Pterodactyl *nods*

Darklord Bright
2010-06-10, 02:10 PM
Nah. I'm strongly suggesting that i am annoyed by people arguing over what it's called. Whether or not it's relevant is up to you.

No one's really arguing, because an argument implies some emotional attachment to the debate. All I've seen is a few people correcting each other, and then Keris stating a well-informed answer, and then that was it...

You certainly wouldn't have lasted long back in the days of the Novaris plot. Multi-page and paragraph-long spanning arguments about ogres and mind-control ensued.

Anyways, anybody making any comics?

kpenguin
2010-06-10, 02:12 PM

:smallbiggrin:

Brilliant, Fay, simply brilliant.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-10, 02:15 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Brilliant, Fay, simply brilliant.

I try
FILLAH!

Mina Kobold
2010-06-10, 02:31 PM
Bleh, Quick, I need a Failproof way of setting my classmates on fire for tomorrow! :smallannoyed:
God college is a drag :smallsigh:

Well, the spell require you to first acquire a virgin's blood, preferable royalty, then 18 hairs from the top of each victims head and...-I mean, I don't know how to do that! Not at all!

<.<
>.>

How... left handed.

The only thing I know that could mean makes it even stupider of me to mention virgin blood and magic...

I'mnot a witch! I didn't turn him into a salamander!

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-10, 03:17 PM
Just made this out of boredom. I think it actually turned out fairly well!

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu320/SinisterPenguin/sinisters.png

Kumo
2010-06-10, 03:21 PM
No one's really arguing, because an argument implies some emotional attachment to the debate. All I've seen is a few people correcting each other, and then Keris stating a well-informed answer, and then that was it...

You certainly wouldn't have lasted long back in the days of the Novaris plot. Multi-page and paragraph-long spanning arguments about ogres and mind-control ensued.

first, No it doesn't.

second, You're arguing semantics over whether this is an argument or a debate? Either way it's a group of people with at least two or more opposing positions

third, i probably would've been banned if it was that long. Or just not care :smalltongue:

And lastly, i think everybody's waiting for somebody else to do something. :smallconfused: weird huh?

Just made this out of boredom. I think it actually turned out fairly well!

Don't read if you can't stand obscure references or plagiarism.
It's the.

Sinisters.

They are.

e-vil.

They're so e-vil...

they once killed

their pup-pies

they were cute...

Threeshades
2010-06-11, 03:28 AM

Let's make a bizarro Sinister group then.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-11, 04:00 AM
Let's make a bizarro Sinister group then.

The Dexters.... I dunno what sounds MORE sinister TBH O.O

T-O-E
2010-06-11, 06:43 AM

More like AmbidextrousPenguin.

V'icternus
2010-06-11, 09:16 AM

But this discussion is so much more interesting than comics. :smalltongue:

Threeshades
2010-06-11, 09:30 AM
More like AmbidextrousPenguin.

You don't need to be ambidextrous to have both your hands on fire.

Kumo
2010-06-11, 09:47 AM
You don't need to be ambidextrous to have both your hands on fire.

Spellcasting requires hand signs. Thus, he is ambidextrous.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-11, 09:50 AM
Spellcasting requires hand signs. Thus, he is ambidextrous.

Yes, because your off-hand is completely and utterly limp and useless until you become ambidextrous, that makes perfect sense.

Kumo
2010-06-11, 09:54 AM
Yes, because your off-hand is completely and utterly limp and useless until you become ambidextrous, that makes perfect sense.

:smallannoyed: Excuse me for the presumption that altering reality to your whims isn't easy.

Mad Mask
2010-06-11, 10:22 AM

Well, I am... but they are not taking place in any of the plots. :smallwink:

*disappears*

licoot
2010-06-11, 11:54 AM
I was, but it went slightly wrong, so I'm gonna wait now I've made templates for others characters, for a good time to bring someone in...

or if I get around to it I'll do an FI

Mina Kobold
2010-06-11, 12:01 PM
Well, I am... but they are not taking place in any of the plots. :smallwink:

*disappears*

Mad Mask!

Quick, catch him and make him do a comic!

Fay Graydon
2010-06-11, 12:33 PM
I might make one this weekend...
Maybe

Emperor Ing
2010-06-11, 01:11 PM
:smallannoyed: Excuse me for the presumption that altering reality to your whims isn't easy.

I'm not altering reality, i'm just saying that you don't have to be ambidextrous to use your off-hand for anything.

Threeshades
2010-06-11, 01:34 PM
I'm not altering reality, i'm just saying that you don't have to be ambidextrous to use your off-hand for anything.

I think with altering reality he meant as in the process of casting spells.

But I have to agree, its not so hard that you can't do it without ambidexterity.
Otherwise Wizards and Sorcerers would get Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat at first level. :smallbiggrin:

licoot
2010-06-11, 01:51 PM
But I have to agree, its not so hard that you can't do it without ambidexterity.
Otherwise Wizards and Sorcerers would get Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat at first level. :smallbiggrin:

They don't:smallconfused::smallbiggrin:

Threeshades
2010-06-11, 02:01 PM
They don't:smallconfused::smallbiggrin:

Not even on thursdays.

Kumo
2010-06-11, 02:14 PM
I think with altering reality he meant as in the process of casting spells.

Or get the actual feat Ambidexterity. :smalltongue:

or they would just use one hand.

Threeshades
2010-06-11, 02:24 PM
Or get the actual feat Ambidexterity. :smalltongue:

Yeah but that has been folded into TWF in 3.5 so i didnt bother about that :smallbiggrin:

licoot
2010-06-11, 02:47 PM
Anyway, surely the strength and control of a hand only change the speed you can do the magic to perform the spell, and in the amount of time a round covers you could do it with both hands anyway, the actual power of the spell is determined by your control of the magic, otherwise your strength or you dexterity modifiers would decide the power of your magic

Mina Kobold
2010-06-11, 03:39 PM
Anyway, surely the strength and control of a hand only change the speed you can do the magic to perform the spell, and in the amount of time a round covers you could do it with both hands anyway, the actual power of the spell is determined by your control of the magic, otherwise your strength or you dexterity modifiers would decide the power of your magic

Except that having your movements restricted by armour makes it more likely to fail so using your off-hand instead of your main one should logically include a (small) penalty and not just affect your speed.

Though, the rulebooks indicate that both arms are used for most spells requiring you to move anyway so it might be a moot point.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-11, 05:19 PM
You know... This is one reason I'm really glad that NONE of my characters are, or ever will be governed by an RPG.
They are governed solely by the rule of cool :smallbiggrin:
Although now I have the Maid RPG that I've been reading through the rules I might randomly have a maid character for the lulz

Rae Artemi
2010-06-11, 06:31 PM
You know... This is one reason I'm really glad that NONE of my characters are, or ever will be governed by an RPG.
They are governed solely by the rule of cool :smallbiggrin:

Hey, sweet, me too. High five!
Though I am trying to stat out a denimancer PrC.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-13, 09:10 PM
Heh he. I just got the game Warioware: DIY, a DS game about making minigames. It's very advanced, very intuitive and VERY addicting.

I made a whole bunch of ABR games with it. :smallcool:

Kill the Challengers: A game where you play as Randomizer, and N00bs try and kill you to take your place. You have to chainsaw five of them before they get too close.

Leroy Drop: A game where you play as Almighty Salmon, and you have to drop Leroy on Threeshades to win.

And my personal favourite...

Q's Last Stand: It's time to settle the rivalry once and for all! You play as Redhsirt Q, and you have to punch Lying. Over and over again. And he goes flying backwards every time. It's SO satisfying. http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/evil.png

I think I'm going to make a video and post it online for you guys to see. Until then, I'm taking requests for new ABR games to put in the video! :smallsmile:

Keep in mind they are only, like, 3-6 seconds long, though.

Here's a quick update on the other ABR games I created since this post.

Ninja Chocobo Gaiden: As Ninja Chocobo, jump over deadly traps (I modified an existing game and just made NC the character in the game).

Sinister Penguin Or Kpenguin?: Which group as more members, SP or KP (premade game, with option to change the skins on the characters)

Born 15th Level: Make Rand hatch out of the egg and zap everything (premade game, with option to change the character).

So, all of these were pretty much already done for me. I plan to make some more original ones, though. Any more requests would be great.

On one more note, there is something else in this game I find a little disturbing. There is a "DIY Forum" you can go to, with obviously fake forum dweelers discussing the finer points of the game and telling about hints you might not have thought of.

But that's not the point.

Nintendo is making fun of US. :eek:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-14, 12:17 AM
waaaaaiiiiit.....

whhuuuuuuuuuuut?

Thats just freaky mon! all whiggidy whack! find a way to make fun of them back mon!

anyways gonna break this not-posting streak soon.

licoot
2010-06-14, 12:00 PM
You just did didn't you:smallconfused::smalltongue:

Khaeta
2010-06-14, 02:33 PM

Oh gods, not that! :smalleek:

How could they make fun of us geeks who sit around inside all day fiddling around with our DSs and computers and Wiis? :smallfurious:

Jerks! :smalltongue:

Darklord Bright
2010-06-14, 02:35 PM
Is there a button for "Turn off godmode kthx"?

Edit: seriously, Raziere, every one of your comics has had you "One-upping" the previous one with absolutely zero failure.

Kumo
2010-06-14, 02:39 PM
Is there a button for "Turn off godmod a**hole"?

fixed :smalltongue:

licoot
2010-06-14, 02:49 PM
I don't think anyone will ever get the keys, this will keep happening:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Felyndiira
2010-06-14, 02:58 PM
fixed :smalltongue:

I have to point out, though: everyone kinda did the same thing with the whole "steal the hot taters" game, so not quite Raziere's fault :smalltongue:.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-14, 03:07 PM
.....sorry.

but really, at every opportunity the situation was basically set up for it:

McYellow and co. sorta led the key right to the entrance.

the Bugbear also sort of set herself up to be knocked out.

and the tentacle monster was organic and he had storm powers, what was he supposed to do? conveniently forget he could electro shock the thing?

really, you didn't actually define what IS godmodding here, since you can post comics in rows, and its a comic not a freeform game, actions are posted differently, so if you want me to not godmode from now on, I need sort of a clear definition of all the types of godmodding are here.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-14, 03:11 PM
Born 15th Level: Make Rand hatch out of the egg and zap everything (premade game, with option to change the character).

Glorious. :smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-14, 03:20 PM
I have to point out, though: everyone kinda did the same thing with the whole "steal the hot taters" game, so not quite Raziere's fault :smalltongue:.

Hey! I was careful to include ways of having Crow be reachable when he was running after stealing a key. So was everybody else IIRC...

The problem with Raziere's comics could be that he always tried to make it near impossible for anyone to counteract him (A wall and a lightning elemental to beat a speed based character didn't leave said character with many options) I might be wrong, though.

Apologises if I am wrong :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-14, 03:38 PM
Hey! I was careful to include ways of having Crow be reachable when he was running after stealing a key. So was everybody else IIRC...

The problem with Raziere's comics could be that he always tried to make it near impossible for anyone to counteract him (A wall and a lightning elemental to beat a speed based character didn't leave said character with many options) I might be wrong, though.

Apologises if I am wrong :smallsmile:

sorry, where I come from that is playing fair, the players I used to roleplay with would do things like....shoot a fireball at a character that is immune to fire, and wouldn't mention that there is a darksteel net controlled by their mind inside of it until their next post, AFTER said immune-to-fire character goes "I let it hit me since I'm immune to fire"

said darksteel net is indestructable. the only way to cut through it is with a darksteel sword, don't have a darksteel sword? too bad you didn't prepare for that, you die, perfectly fair by their standards. its why I left.

Rae Artemi
2010-06-14, 03:39 PM
Is there a button for "Turn off godmode kthx"?

Edit: seriously, Raziere, every one of your comics has had you "One-upping" the previous one with absolutely zero failure.

Don't worry Darklord, I'mma get off my lazy butt and actually help with something plot related for once. In about an hour.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-14, 04:20 PM
sorry, where I come from that is playing fair, the players I used to roleplay with would do things like....shoot a fireball at a character that is immune to fire, and wouldn't mention that there is a darksteel net controlled by their mind inside of it until their next post, AFTER said immune-to-fire character goes "I let it hit me since I'm immune to fire"

said darksteel net is indestructable. the only way to cut through it is with a darksteel sword, don't have a darksteel sword? too bad you didn't prepare for that, you die, perfectly fair by their standards. its why I left.

If it's why you left, then why replicate that behaviour here?

Lord Raziere
2010-06-14, 05:48 PM
If it's why you left, then why replicate that behaviour here?

replicating? that was going easy, people I used to play with would probably bring an army with them, have the troops surround the statue, then blast holes into the wall from all sides, then they probably have all the troops look for it, while shooting anyone they see on sight.

heck, if I know one of them, he would probably bring his all-devouring crystals along with him, and turn the entire place into one his crystals wastelands, which would eat all matter and energy just to expand his territory, another playing Insanity Incarnate corrupt the place with his ink and the unkillable shapeshifter would just outright be a jerk.

honestly? its the only way I know how, stupid first roleplaying experience was basically everyone saying to me "do the most logical course of action" and "be realistic!" in a high powered fantasy kitchen sink setting, that quickly gone post-apocalyptic, where most of the players were villains, it was very cynical, you wouldn't want to play it, you guys would hate it, by now its pretty much just a bunch of warlords vying for power on a dead world.

so yeah, sorry about this, still trying to get better at this. how can I correct myself?

Rae Artemi
2010-06-14, 06:17 PM
so yeah, sorry about this, still trying to get better at this. how can I correct myself?

Some tips, Well I'll tell you how I do it.

Don't put your goals first. Your character's goals may be important to you, but if they are not part of the larger teams' goals, they shouldn't really affect the plot in a Major way. If you want to be part of a third party trying to get the keys, that's okay, just remember, there are two other teams made up of many more people than just you. If someone on one of the other teams tries to stop you, you can try to get the key back, but you can't make a character do something just so that you can get the key And especially if there is more than one or two people from a single team against you.

As to what you should put first, it's fun. That is the reason why we are all here, we want to have fun. So when you are doing things, think of the others. If it is going to stop most of them from being able to have their fun, don't do it.

That's just how I play though, I think the others may have other things to say.

-skimmer-
2010-06-14, 06:22 PM
Here's a quick update on the other ABR games I created since this post.

Ninja Chocobo Gaiden: As Ninja Chocobo, jump over deadly traps (I modified an existing game and just made NC the character in the game).

Sinister Penguin Or Kpenguin?: Which group as more members, SP or KP (premade game, with option to change the skins on the characters)

So, all of these were pretty much already done for me. I plan to make some more original ones, though. Any more requests would be great.

On one more note, there is something else in this game I find a little disturbing. There is a "DIY Forum" you can go to, with obviously fake forum dweelers discussing the finer points of the game and telling about hints you might not have thought of.

Didn't you say you'll post some? I want to see:smallsmile:

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-14, 06:37 PM

If you want the key, you should be willing to fight for it. Before you swoop in and snatch up the key from someone else, give them a chance to respond. Maybe they want to defend themselves. That way you can properly slug it out for the key instead of this hot potato game we have going now. To put it another way, you should be aiming for "I try to take the key from you" rather than "I take the key from you".

I'd say this goes for all of you, by the way. :/

Rae Artemi
2010-06-14, 08:58 PM
Welp, the key is back in the hands of team good. Though tentacles may be more correct.

kpenguin
2010-06-14, 09:24 PM
I think we've spent long enough on this key, anyway. I think we, as a community, need to decide who gets this key and then move on to the next one.

Kumo
2010-06-14, 09:56 PM
i vote team evil. If there's no risk of failure for the heroes, no drama.

SinisterPenguin
2010-06-14, 10:10 PM
I also vote Team Evil. Because Team Evil is the best.

Also because the villains should win at first so that it makes the heroes' inevitable victory that much sweeter! Or something along those lines.

Felyndiira
2010-06-14, 10:13 PM
I vote team good, actually. The heroes should win first so that they can inevitably go off and hand the keys to team evil at a later time, possibly in exchange for [insert hero character here].

Darklord Bright
2010-06-14, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure if I want team evil to win a second time in a row (the first time being the first fight) or for the good guys to get a slight reprieve.

kpenguin
2010-06-14, 11:24 PM
I'd like to point out that Team Good doesn't actually need all the keys to win. They're not looking to get the Talisman and control dragons. They just need to make sure that Team Evil doesn't get all the keys.

At this point in the narrative, at least. This may change.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-15, 02:35 AM
replicating? that was going easy, people I used to play with would probably bring an army with them, have the troops surround the statue, then blast holes into the wall from all sides, then they probably have all the troops look for it, while shooting anyone they see on sight.

heck, if I know one of them, he would probably bring his all-devouring crystals along with him, and turn the entire place into one his crystals wastelands, which would eat all matter and energy just to expand his territory, another playing Insanity Incarnate corrupt the place with his ink and the unkillable shapeshifter would just outright be a jerk.

honestly? its the only way I know how, stupid first roleplaying experience was basically everyone saying to me "do the most logical course of action" and "be realistic!" in a high powered fantasy kitchen sink setting, that quickly gone post-apocalyptic, where most of the players were villains, it was very cynical, you wouldn't want to play it, you guys would hate it, by now its pretty much just a bunch of warlords vying for power on a dead world.

Reminds me of my old ADnD team, always trying to become air-pirates or evil overlords :smalltongue:

The DM's first methods was to send us against enemies and situations that were just as, or more, powerful than us. Worked fine until they (I was neutral, not evil) crossed the border of what the gods will let you do :smallamused:

Anyway, I vote for team evil. Just because good will triumph in the end doesn't mean we should make it too easy.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-15, 06:53 AM
Can I coabulate with whoever's going to do the next profercy?
Seing as Maestro has captured Leroy >.>

Nameless
2010-06-15, 07:05 AM
So, urr...
'Sup?

Kumo
2010-06-15, 09:15 AM
I'd like to point out that Team Good doesn't actually need all the keys to win. They're not looking to get the Talisman and control dragons. They just need to make sure that Team Evil doesn't get all the keys.

At this point in the narrative, at least. This may change.

We could make it so team evil gets two keys, maestro gets two keys, and team good gets one key so they all have to duke it out in a major battle royale?

Lord Raziere
2010-06-15, 09:45 AM
you know....now that you mention the key business.....I think my character has just found a new way to get the dragon talisman without actually interfering with anyone else in the plot, well I have but he is gonna have an idea soon about it.

and its an eeeeeeeeevil idea :smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-15, 10:57 AM
you know....now that you mention the key business.....I think my character has just found a new way to get the dragon talisman without actually interfering with anyone else in the plot, well I have but he is gonna have an idea soon about it.

and its an eeeeeeeeevil idea :smallbiggrin:

To get near the talisman you have to open a gate with all five keys and then make Salmon teleport Leroy into the room behind it.

At least in the original FFF, the new one might not need the fish.

In other words, no stealing the Macguffin until afte rthe final battle or the Plot gids throw you out into the off-plot*

On another note: I agree with Kumo's idea.

*Along with the demonic Kobold, Death himself, a celestial penguin and a demonic Fox-girl. :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-06-15, 11:09 AM
I agree with Kumo's idea.

Four .

Lord Raziere
2010-06-15, 02:06 PM
To get near the talisman you have to open a gate with all five keys and then make Salmon teleport Leroy into the room behind it.

At least in the original FFF, the new one might not need the fish.

In other words, no stealing the Macguffin until after the final battle or the Plot gids throw you out into the off-plot*

On another note: I agree with Kumo's idea.

*Along with the demonic Kobold, Death himself, a celestial penguin and a demonic Fox-girl. :smalltongue:

ummm...the idea was basically "wait for them to get all five keys while setting a trap right outside the gate where the Talisman is hidden, then when the gate is opened, it sets off the trap thus trapping them and then just grab the thing and run like heck"

but if its any gate you can fit a key into.....darn. never mind, I'd rather just not play this and make my own webcomic if it is THAT plot-bound and I don't have that much of effect on things. sorry.

Kumo
2010-06-15, 02:11 PM
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

whoa...

whoa, who said it was ANY gate?

Tiffanie Lirle
2010-06-15, 02:21 PM
I think we've spent long enough on this key, anyway. I think we, as a community, need to decide who gets this key and then move on to the next one.
I'm indifferent myself, I just tried to put an end to the red key nonsense so we could move on finally. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-15, 02:25 PM
ummm...the idea was basically "wait for them to get all five keys while setting a trap right outside the gate where the Talisman is hidden, then when the gate is opened, it sets off the trap thus trapping them and then just grab the thing and run like heck"

but if its any gate you can fit a key into.....darn. never mind, I'd rather just not play this and make my own webcomic if it is THAT plot-bound and I don't have that much of effect on things. sorry.

Bad writing on my part :smallredface:

It's a specific gate, but I don't know what gate so I just said a gate.

You can have plenty effect on stuff, the story just includes large groups of heroes and villains so acquiring the talisman will require a lot of cunning from single character groups. Cunning such as stealing the talisman when the keys have been gathered :smallwink:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-15, 02:33 PM
Bad writing on my part :smallredface:

It's a specific gate, but I don't know what gate so I just said a gate.

You can have plenty effect on stuff, the story just includes large groups of heroes and villains so acquiring the talisman will require a lot of cunning from single character groups. Cunning such as stealing the talisman when the keys have been gathered :smallwink:

thank you....got it got it....anyways gonna get Risqar #12 up as soon as I can, school for me is over and now I have the freedom of summer to enjoy doing what I do best: writing, art and the appreciation of both.

that ponytail guy is going to be very bewildered. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-15, 02:37 PM
thank you....got it got it....anyways gonna get Risqar #12 up as soon as I can, school for me is over and now I have the freedom of summer to enjoy doing what I do best: writing, art and the appreciation of both.

that ponytail guy is going to be very bewildered. :smalltongue:

Hurray! I'm not the only one that's done with school!

*Runs around happily*

Rae Artemi
2010-06-15, 02:55 PM

*Runs around happily*

I've been done for 2 and a half weeks. :smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-15, 03:07 PM

*Runs around happily*

Almost 3 weeks out of school here.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-15, 03:09 PM
Hurrah!

Now we need to make comics because we have free time!

But to do that I have to figure out what's going on in FI...

A little help with that?

Khaeta
2010-06-15, 03:13 PM

*Runs around happily*

I've got another week, too...but it's just finals, so it's not that bad :smallsmile:

licoot
2010-06-15, 03:25 PM
Hurrah!

A little help with that?

I was thinking of making the train crash to kick start FI again, but it didn't really work

-skimmer-
2010-06-15, 03:30 PM
I was thinking of making the train crash to kick start FI again, but it didn't really work

Wait, I don't remember any train crash comic from you:smallconfused:

licoot
2010-06-15, 03:32 PM
Wait, I don't remember any train crash comic from you:smallconfused:

I never finished it, thats why you didn't see it, I couldn't get the train right

Lord Raziere
2010-06-15, 03:59 PM
Hurrah!

A little help with that?

hmmmmm.....

last I remember reading of it.....

oh yeah, some piece of a big green glowing heart thing owned by a lich went missing, and the UNA guys were like uh.......discussing it and planning to get it back so that they could open up negotiations with the lich and "redeem" him or something like that so that the UNA gains more good publicity and all that.

meanwhile I think the ALF was also planning to do something about the green glowy piece thing, but neither side has actually got around to doing something about it......yea that is pretty much generally where things were.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-15, 05:56 PM
It progressed into a battle in a small city since then.

-skimmer-
2010-06-15, 07:51 PM
I never finished it, thats why you didn't see it, I couldn't get the train right

Nonsense, there's plenty of trains you may trace inspire yourself with! Here, have some:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4220/fi2s.png

http://www.kinogo.com/victor/fi/comics/fi12.png

hmmmmm.....

last I remember reading of it.....

oh yeah, some piece of a big green glowing heart thing owned by a lich went missing, and the UNA guys were like uh.......discussing it and planning to get it back so that they could open up negotiations with the lich and "redeem" him or something like that so that the UNA gains more good publicity and all that.

meanwhile I think the ALF was also planning to do something about the green glowy piece thing, but neither side has actually got around to doing something about it......yea that is pretty much generally where things were.

And there was also bombing of Salmonville, whales in space and some insectoid invaders failed to conquer the world....yeah:smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-18, 11:50 AM
We could make it so team evil gets two keys, maestro gets two keys, and team good gets one key so they all have to duke it out in a major battle royale?

Maetro isn't the fighting type though.
He's the guy Writing the music.
Conducting the orchestra.
The man behind the curtain as so to speak.

Plus he'd just use his powers of music to hypnotise people into giving him the keys XD
So yeah >.>

Keyword there... Hidden...
No one yet knows where it is till Leroy and Salmon have the profercy saying where it is.

Rae Artemi
2010-06-18, 11:59 AM

Plus he'd just use his powers of music to hypnotise people into giving him the keys XD
So yeah >.>

Ok, who hear (Totally accidental pun) has a character that is tone deaf? :smalltongue:

Felyndiira
2010-06-18, 12:13 PM
Ok, who hear (Totally accidental pun) has a character that is immune or "can make a will save"? :smalltongue:
Fixed =p.

Would be kinda hard for a character to be deaf in ABR.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-18, 12:15 PM
If there's any continuity between what the gateway is inside of and sealing between FFF and FFF:R, I would not want to be the guy trapping it either.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-18, 12:55 PM
Fixed =p.

Would be kinda hard for a character to be deaf in ABR.

Tone deaf means a lack of ability to discern tones in music, everything else is fine.

I think the bird might be immune, can outsiders traditionally be hypnotised?

Kumo
2010-06-18, 01:21 PM

So yeah >.>

And how does that stop other people from beating the crap out of him?

If there's any continuity between what the gateway is inside of and sealing between FFF and FFF:R, I would not want to be the guy trapping it either.

wasn't that plot abandoned before you actually even made it to the gate?

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-18, 02:15 PM
wasn't that plot abandoned before you actually even made it to the gate?

Yep. But there's quite a few things from the Age of Dragons that were covered up in elaborate fashion anyways, the Talisman is just one of the more powerful things (The Arnathi shades are another)

Kumo
2010-06-18, 02:22 PM
Yep. But there's quite a few things from the Age of Dragons that were covered up in elaborate fashion anyways, the Talisman is just one of the more powerful things (The Arnathi shades are another)

But how can there be a continuity for what the gate is or where it is or what guards it or how it's guarded if you never made it to the gate.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-18, 03:42 PM
Keyword there... Hidden...
No one yet knows where it is till Leroy and Salmon have the prophecy saying where it is.

:smallconfused::smallfrown::smallannoyed: :smallmad::smallfurious::smallyuk:

that was my face doing the impression of a hyperactive shapeshifter.

I now I have nothing to friggin' do, since apparently you've guys railroaded everything into the salmon, when all I wanted to do was set a trap in advance so that when the final battle was over, whoever put in the keys to the gate would get trapped and Risqar would get the Talisman and and and......

whats the use of coming up with clever alternative plans if they are foiled by stupid things like this?

Kumo
2010-06-18, 04:02 PM
whats the use of coming up with clever alternative plans if they are foiled by stupid things like this?

I don't see how it's stupid that not knowing where to set up a trap makes the trap ineffective

Mina Kobold
2010-06-18, 04:27 PM
I don't see how it's stupid that not knowing where to set up a trap makes the trap ineffective

Agreed.

What about having that be the Last Option plan for Risqar? He can stay in the plot and try to trick the keys out of everybody else (just remember that several other characters are trying the same thing) and then, if he fails in the end, he can make a trap when the Salmons see the location of the keys.

Thus you have plenty to do, Raziere, and everybody's happy :smallsmile:

well except the character who fall for the trap... :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-18, 11:19 PM
its stupid because you keep setting it up so that the Salmon is the only way to gain any important knowledge, and only when the plot allows it.

it makes me unable to....grrrrrrrrrgh....can't put it into words....this is just too frustrating.......makes things complicated.......

maybe I should somehow disguise Risqar as one of the Maestro's minions who volunteers to be Leroy's guard and then just wait for Leroy to say the right prophecy, after he prepares the correct spells for the trap on scrolls so he can send a message to Crazna, who then goes to the place and casts them, thus setting up the trap....

yea....that could work.......

Kumo
2010-06-19, 12:05 AM
its stupid because you keep setting it up so that the Salmon is the only way to gain any important knowledge, and only when the plot allows it.If there were any other way would Threeshades be 'sleeping with the fishes'?

... wait, on second thought, don't answer that... I don't wanna take the risk of it being 'yes'

Mina Kobold
2010-06-19, 02:58 AM
[QUOTE=Lord Raziere;8735737]its stupid because you keep setting it up so that the Salmon is the only way to gain any important knowledge, and only when the plot allows it.[QUOTE]

Well, that's the point of the plot. It's a standard good vs. (a couple of) Evil(s) story with a doomsday weapon unlockable by five macguffins revealed by Dojo the resident talking animal sidekicks.

I fail to see the stupidity of that, especially when you consider that the original sealers of the amulet really don't want anyone to find it.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-19, 03:18 AM
Well, that's the point of the plot. It's a standard good vs. (a couple of) Evil(s) story with a doomsday weapon unlockable by five macguffins revealed by Dojo the resident talking animal sidekicks.

I fail to see the stupidity of that, especially when you consider that the original sealers of the amulet really don't want anyone to find it.

*sigh* I see your point.....

perhaps I should've put Risqar in FI instead, I'm not sure if he is designed to follow archetypal plots.

or perhaps I should switch Risqar for another, more flexible character who can be put in a wider range of situations, who is also funnier?

I dunno, just speculatin'.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 03:42 AM
FI's more rigid in what you can and cannot do - Risqar would probably get gunned down pretty fast in that setting if he did a lot of what he did in FFF:R. The only real "issue" is that FFF:R tries to balance it so everyone is having fun, and nobody is vastly more powerful than anyone else - so far Risqar has displayed near over-9000 breaking power levels and generally been a really bad fit for games which focus on characters and plot.

My general advice would just be to tone down the power of your characters and run with what is given to you - maybe make a new character if you want to - and remember that most games like this (Not just ours) which are decent have rules against a lot of what you described in your past gaming community.

Just remember, this is a collaborative game, so the goal is to make sure everyone's having fun.

Felyndiira
2010-06-19, 09:52 AM
its stupid because you keep setting it up so that the Salmon is the only way to gain any important knowledge, and only when the plot allows it.

it makes me unable to....grrrrrrrrrgh....can't put it into words....this is just too frustrating.......makes things complicated.......

maybe I should somehow disguise Risqar as one of the Maestro's minions who volunteers to be Leroy's guard and then just wait for Leroy to say the right prophecy, after he prepares the correct spells for the trap on scrolls so he can send a message to Crazna, who then goes to the place and casts them, thus setting up the trap....

yea....that could work.......

If there's one advice I can five about the FFF line, it's this. Anything you do can and will be out-ruled by the law of cool and the law of funny.

FFF:R is not a serious plotline. In the original FFF, people randomly attacked and blew up each other almost in random kill sequence, characters formed life vengeances for ice cream stealing, plot goblins were directly involved with the plot, anti-stuff (anything from cyclops to plot) appears in condensed spray form randomly pulled out from hyperspace, and stuff were generally unruly and done not for the advancement of a character's goals, but for the heck of it.

What I'm saying is: it would not be advised to treat FFF:R as a battle roleplay. Though it's fine for your character to seek grander things, your actual end-goal in FFF:R should not be to "win" or to "gain " and you should definitely not be winning every step along the way. Remember: everyone is here to have fun; no one will be able to have fun if the entire comic ends up being "Raziere takes all the keys and gets immortality. The end." Rather, let your character do some less optimal things once in a while - strive to entertain rather than being so focused on "accomplishing your goal and darned be anyone who stops me."

Raziere is actually fine in terms of power level. There are many, many people who are more powerful than a simple spellcaster that can merge elementals and conjure up a few walls. Both Kippie and X2, for one, are high-level casters and could bring down a stone wall with half of a spell and nuke out the caster with the other half. In fact, a good way to understand the expectations of FFF:R is to take a peek at what those two do and how frequently they do them, since they both toned their characters down considerably to allow others to have fun as well.

Since you're considering FI instead: FI is a completely different story than FFF:R. To give you an idea: the ALF has many epic spellcasters on their side, and yet they are at a complete disadvantage. Every character in there, no matter what power level they had before, tend to only make slow and small advances killing a few isolated soldiers; if you attempt to, say, fly into the UNA and scry-and-die Ins with just a few powers, your character will be terminated permanently.

Both comics are co-operative comics; they're very different from the self-motivated, often high-powered battle roleplays that you may be familiar with. A good way to think of them would be to imagine an adventure rp where heroes band together to destroy the BBEG: imagine if you enter the roleplay, teleport to the towers for the macguffins, and destroy the BBEG while the heroes hardly completed their first tower. Although FFF:R allows multiple sides, the comic is ultimately comedic, so it would be advised to focus on doing funny/cool things rather than just winning.

@EDIT: Heh, corrected. Always assumed so from the near-end of the original FFF days =x. Regardless, Raziere's raw power level still is comparable to that of mid-level magic, so.

kpenguin
2010-06-19, 10:04 AM
Both Kippie and X2, for one, are epic-level casters and could bring down a stone wall with half of a spell and nuke out the caster with the other half.

Wait, what? Kpenguin is not a epic-level... at all. Especially not in FFF:R.

V'icternus
2010-06-19, 10:21 AM
He's just... competent enough to count as magical.
Epic level is very different from combat-capable.

Epic level means you don't have to fight things any more. :smalltongue:

Kpenguin's got a pretty basic arsenal of magical power.

And FFF:R Xartyve isn't exactly what I'd call epic, as thus far anyway he's seemed to stay within the general accepted power level of the comic.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-19, 10:30 AM
........beh. nope this doesn't sound like me. Sorry, I'm not really a "group" guy.

To be honest what I've mostly been doing has been sampling: sampled this, sampled freeform roleplaying, haven't found something I liked yet.

do like making comics and art though.....so there is something in that....

Felyndiira
2010-06-19, 10:32 AM
Epic level means you don't have to fight things any more. :smalltongue:

Not quite =p. A level 21 fighter without epic gear is still only a level 21 fighter, and a level 21 evoker-only superwizard with epic spellcasting and only learning hellball still doesn't quite qualify as not having to fight things anymore, as opposed to the level 17 druid with Tsunami =p. Plot, of course, fixed the rest.

Epic just means customizable spells, in all seriousness. Any other aspect of the character is depend on the power level that the character designer goes for.

-skimmer-
2010-06-19, 10:38 AM
Since you're considering FI instead: FI is a completely different story than FFF:R. To give you an idea: the ALF has many epic spellcasters on their side, and yet they are at a complete disadvantage. Every character in there, no matter what power level they had before, tend to only make slow and small advances killing a few isolated soldiers; if you attempt to, say, fly into the UNA and scry-and-die Ins with just a few powers, your character will be terminated permanently.

To be fair, I have no idea why everyone do that....I mean, it's no fun at all:smallconfused:

kpenguin
2010-06-19, 10:38 AM
Note that the "not epic level" thing applies to both FFF Kpenguin and FFF:R Kpenguin. Lantern-powered FFF Kpenguin doesn't count. :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-19, 11:05 AM
To be fair, I have no idea why everyone do that....I mean, it's no fun at all:smallconfused:

a super-powerful guy against the world picking off his opponents one by one, slowly progressing upwards to to kill the big dude?

sounds a RPS (roleplaying shooter) but with magic and no respawns.

just do what every badass with a gun does: shoot whatever enemy you find, pickup their guns, use them to shoot more enemies, blow stuff up, pummel them to death if they ever get the bright idea of coming up close, take cover whenever to reload or regen health, and basically go around doing all that until you get somewhere, or until a voice in your head commands you to do a certain thing.

why? cause thats the way you save the world in a cynical setting: you pick up a gun, and starting shooting until everything you don't like is dead. :smallbiggrin:

-skimmer-
2010-06-19, 11:56 AM
a super-powerful guy against the world picking off his opponents one by one, slowly progressing upwards to to kill the big dude?

sounds a RPS (roleplaying shooter) but with magic and no respawns.

just do what every badass with a gun does: shoot whatever enemy you find, pickup their guns, use them to shoot more enemies, blow stuff up, pummel them to death if they ever get the bright idea of coming up close, take cover whenever to reload or regen health, and basically go around doing all that until you get somewhere, or until a voice in your head commands you to do a certain thing.

why? cause thats the way you save the world in a cynical setting: you pick up a gun, and starting shooting until everything you don't like is dead. :smallbiggrin:

FI game release is already scheduled to year 2012 or sooner, thankyouverymuch:smalltongue:

And yeah, I agree "RPS" is not the best concept for a colaborative webcomic. Actually, it would be awesome if we all could treat it like FFF without all those canon vs. non-canon debates around it and just enjoy semi-serious parody on Sin city where rule of cool and rule of funny > everything else....

Now that I think of it, comics Nameless made fit this idea perfectly....

Mina Kobold
2010-06-19, 11:59 AM

Do what?

Only take on small squads and not the big bads themselves? That's because they are smarter than Vaarsuvius :smallsmile:

Ins and anyone else with a hint of significance probably surround themselves with plenty of magical and technological shields that they can't just bypass.

By the way, what happened to Skimmer in FI?

EDIT:

@^: I made a pair of kobolds arrive in a Willy Wonka train, how is that not Rule of Funny trumps everything else (Which is also why they missed the ridiculously huge target that was the citadel)? :smalltongue:

-skimmer-
2010-06-19, 01:07 PM
Do what?

Only take on small squads and not the big bads themselves? That's because they are smarter than Vaarsuvius :smallsmile:

They're not taking on "small squads" they're literally murdering policemen on sight. I mean, it looks well when GSQ does that once in a while, he has reason to to do that, but when almost everyone introduces his/her character this way, I'm secretly face-palming myself....

Ins and anyone else with a hint of significance probably surround themselves with plenty of magical and technological shields that they can't just bypass.

Shields are to be attacked, not avoided....it's more fun that way:smalltongue:

By the way, what happened to Skimmer in FI?

Got shot from the sky, survived, fought some undead, survived, attacked some peacekeepers in belief they're undead, got shot again, survived, got carried to some warehouse, got mind probed, survived(?)...

S'not funny, not really cool, it did not even advance the story and I have no idea how to continue without making it into another boring fight scene.....meh.

EDIT:

@^: I made a pair of kobolds arrive in a Willy Wonka train, how is that not Rule of Funny trumps everything else (Which is also why they missed the ridiculously huge target that was the citadel)? :smalltongue:

You did it right, sort of....it's just not particulary memorable as it was only 4 panel long with really small train apearing in second panel only and you haven't actually made any comic to follow that scene:smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-19, 01:14 PM
Um about all the "Will saves" and "can outsiders be hypnotised"...
Please note that NONE of my Characters are D&D based, therefore all D&D laws don't apply to them as then they would be at a Disadvantage of not being able to do sod all as I dont have a clue how to apply D&D to ABR.

Also I go on the Rule of Cool, Rule of Badassery, and the Rule of FRICKIN EPIC!

kpenguin
2010-06-19, 01:17 PM
Indeed. FFF:R does not run by D&D mechanics.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-19, 01:27 PM
Indeed. FFF:R does not run by D&D mechanics.

Good, meaning that Maestro's powers will work on anybody that can hear ^^
But he's physically weak, thats his downside.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 01:48 PM
Hypnosis is one of those sketchy powers - mostly because it's not sure just how often it should work or how effective it should be. Personally, I think some of the stronger willed characters won't be affected by it at all, and it would even be funny to have someone not get hypno'd because they "Didn't believe in it." (which is the case for most real-world hypnosis.) Both of those resistances are very "Rule of cool/Rule of funny".

At the same time though, a lot of people don't like hypnosis because it borders on "Controlling other people's characters".

Kumo
2010-06-19, 01:49 PM
Got shot from the sky, survived, fought some undead, survived, attacked some peacekeepers in belief they're undead, got shot again, survived, got carried to some warehouse, got mind probed, survived(?)...

Yes, you survived. Zombies are very very stupid.

Kumo
2010-06-19, 01:51 PM
Hypnosis is one of those sketchy powers - mostly because it's not sure just how often it should work or how effective it should be. Personally, I think some of the stronger willed characters won't be affected by it at all, and it would even be funny to have someone not get hypno'd because they "Didn't believe in it." (which is the case for most real-world hypnosis.) Both of those resistances are very "Rule of cool/Rule of funny".

At the same time though, a lot of people don't like hypnosis because it borders on "Controlling other people's characters".

Hypnosis in real life also relies on the person being willing to be hypnotized. Hypnosis spells have nothing to do with reality at all.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 01:52 PM
Hypnosis in real life also relies on the person being willing to be hypnotized. Hypnosis spells have nothing to do with reality at all.

Ignoring the entire point of the post +1

Fay Graydon
2010-06-19, 02:41 PM

Well its not exactly "Hypnosis" par cé
More of the music influences people.
You know how In real life you can listen to some upbeat melody and feel more energetic, like that.
The "Hypnosis" would be a tune that calmed someone down to near trance level and the lyrics going and suggesting to the subconscious brain to do something.

EDIT:
Also whos making next thread?

Kumo
2010-06-19, 02:43 PM
Ignoring the entire point of the post +1

1) Hypocrite.

2) The point of my post was you can't use real world mechanics for magical hypnosis

3) I agree with the rest of it >.>

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 06:59 PM
1) Hypocrite.

2) The point of my post was you can't use real world mechanics for magical hypnosis

3) I agree with the rest of it >.>

I never once stated that you should. I was suggesting that some people be able to have the willpower to avoid hypnosis or other things based on the rule of cool/funny. I never once said it should be governed by real world hypnosis, I simply used it as an example for the "Disbelieving in Hypnosis" which I also then stated was more for the rule of funny (like disbelieving in any other magic would be).

it would even be funny to have someone not get hypno'd because they "Didn't believe in it." (which is the case for most real-world hypnosis.)

Note how I say the disbelief in hypnosis is enough in the real world, but I do not say "that is how it should work in ABR" - I instead say "It would be funny if".

The statement that I think it would be funny if someone was immune to hypnosis because they didn't believe in it does not translate to "Magical hypnosis should work like real-world hypnosis."

Now, can we move on?

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-19, 08:58 PM
Oh god, what's going on now?

kpenguin
2010-06-19, 09:22 PM
Arguing! Fun, isn't it? :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2010-06-19, 09:23 PM
Oh god, what's going on now?

eh I've basically become annoyed that I won't actually accomplish anything in ABR, so I'm not gonna be participating in it anymore.

I mean rule of cool and rule of funny is good when applied in moderation, but I'm not the type to go for pure "rule of cool and rule of funny trumps everything else." kinda things

while I'm not a pure realist, I do enjoy some logic, consistency and all that in what I do, if I want to fight an opponent, I want them to be truly defeated, not for me to be foiled at the last second by some anti-climax for the sake of a random joke.

meanwhile FI seems a little too on the side of cynicism and realism- take those two things too far and you just get a hopeless mess you can't change at all, I'd actually recommend lightening FI a bit to give the ALF a fighting chance against the UNA. the setting I used to play in was worse than FI, trust me it wasn't fun.

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 09:43 PM
if I want to fight an opponent, I want them to be truly defeated, not for me to be foiled at the last second by some anti-climax for the sake of a random joke.

That right there's your problem. It's not about beating everyone else, and it's certainly not about winning everything. We're telling a story here, and trying to have fun at the same time - the story of "One person kills everyone else" isn't very good, and is only fun for that person (Though how nothing being a challenge to your character could be fun I have no idea.)

kpenguin
2010-06-19, 09:45 PM
Randomizer seems to get a lot of mileage from that, DB

Darklord Bright
2010-06-19, 09:47 PM
Randomizer seems to get a lot of mileage from that, DB

And I will say again that I still have no idea how anyone could find that fun...

I think the bottom line really, is that this isn't the story of your character, it's a collaborative story. We're all working together to create something fun and entertaining for all of us.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-19, 09:58 PM
And I will say again that I still have no idea how anyone could find that fun...

I think the bottom line really, is that this isn't the story of your character, it's a collaborative story. We're all working together to create something fun and entertaining for all of us.

I like chicken pie! =3

Kumo
2010-06-19, 10:12 PM
I like chicken pie! =3

I like murder and love =3

I'd never do either, of course, but they make for great plot devices, eh?

Mad Mask
2010-06-20, 06:38 AM
meanwhile FI seems a little too on the side of cynicism and realism- take those two things too far and you just get a hopeless mess you can't change at all, I'd actually recommend lightening FI a bit to give the ALF a fighting chance against the UNA. the setting I used to play in was worse than FI, trust me it wasn't fun.

FI is not truly that "cynical". The world is actually a hundred times better that that of FFF:R, because the UNA (who may also be considered "heroic antagonists") actually is benevolent and strives to improve the quality of life of people on Avbaroy; it's just that's behind that hides a sinister conspiracy, and the Sovices, the nanomechanical alien robots who founded the UNA, have suspicious motives. And they have a plan.

About realism... Well, when you have magical flying fortress blazing magical rayguns, a Big Bad that's a doppelgänger of a hero inhabited by the soul of a robot, flying landfish, penguin-people, fox-people, talking zombie magical cats, and blind elite swordsman, the realism is pretty low. If anything, FI is grittier, and based more around internal consistency than FFF:R, but to say it's realistic...

The ALF is not that hopeless (the original concept was far more harsh on them). They have the aforementioned magical fort, a lot of support in the Schizland nation (which means thousands of people willing to die in the name of resisting the UNA), very high-powered people (no epics though, as their leader, the only epic-level wizard in the Resistance, was poisoned and rendered insane by the Sovices), and support from the interstellar New Sovice Empire (differing from the Holy Sovice Militia that is present on Avbaroy), who have a fleet of whale-spaceships currently on orbit around Avbaroy.

The most cynical aspect of FI is really the moral ambiguity between the ALF and the UNA, as the former contains psychopaths, homicidal maniacs, nationalist fanatics and only few truly moral characters, while the UNA, despite the big conspiracy deal with the Sovices, is full of people who genuinely believe that they're doing good (they are, on some level). The thing is, the ALF is right, and the UNA, despite all good intentions, is the centre of the Sovices' mysterious plan, which has a good chance of dooming all of Avbaroy.

FI is also a lot more complicated than FFF:R... :smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-06-20, 06:58 AM
FI is not truly that "cynical". The world is actually a hundred times better that that of FFF:R, because the UNA (who may also be considered "heroic antagonists") actually is benevolent and strives to improve the quality of life of people on Avbaroy; it's just that's behind that hides a sinister conspiracy, and the Sovices, the nanomechanical alien robots who founded the UNA, have suspicious motives. And they have a plan.

About realism... Well, when you have magical flying fortress blazing magical rayguns, a Big Bad that's a doppelgänger of a hero inhabited by the soul of a robot, flying landfish, penguin-people, fox-people, talking zombie magical cats, and blind elite swordsman, the realism is pretty low. If anything, FI is grittier, and based more around internal consistency than FFF:R, but to say it's realistic...

The ALF is not that hopeless (the original concept was far more harsh on them). They have the aforementioned magical fort, a lot of support in the Schizland nation (which means thousands of people willing to die in the name of resisting the UNA), very high-powered people (no epics though, as their leader, the only epic-level wizard in the Resistance, was poisoned and rendered insane by the Sovices), and support from the interstellar New Sovice Empire (differing from the Holy Sovice Militia that is present on Avbaroy), who have a fleet of whale-spaceships currently on orbit around Avbaroy.

The most cynical aspect of FI is really the moral ambiguity between the ALF and the UNA, as the former contains psychopaths, homicidal maniacs, nationalist fanatics and only few truly moral characters, while the UNA, despite the big conspiracy deal with the Sovices, is full of people who genuinely believe that they're doing good (they are, on some level). The thing is, the ALF is right, and the UNA, despite all good intentions, is the centre of the Sovices' mysterious plan, which has a good chance of dooming all of Avbaroy.

FI is also a lot more complicated than FFF:R... :smalltongue:

*cough*railroadingagain*cough* :smallannoyed:
Seriously Mask you can't keep summink up FI like it's your own comic >.>
Also... ALF doesnt just contain "psychopaths, homicidal maniacs, nationalist fanatics and only few truly moral characters"
:smallannoyed:
We have ONE or TWO maybe yeah but If ALF is trying to stay a group that isnt just full on terrorists we WOULDN'T fill our ranks with the condemed!
No matter how desperate we we're...
Also why did you mention an "Epic level caster" but not an Ex god? :smallfrown:

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-20, 07:01 AM
I don't really understand what the arguing is about here, so I am going to offer multiple opinions. :smallconfused:

If it's because you (Raziere) want a story with a clear, understandable story in everything always contributes to the story in a clear consice way, than I would recommend starting up a solo fancomic for your character to be as powerful as you want against a clear threat with logic and consistency. If you want fun with only the slightest form of logic or story, come here. Trust us, while things may be kinda slow now, when things pick up this gets REALLY going.

If you want something less realistic, as Mad Mask has previously stated there is already quite a bit going on that's unrealistic, including flying fish, magic, and zombies. Sky's the limit if you don't worry about making it so powerful it just crumbles the setting. One guy made a monkey who was a transformed scientist.

As for cynicalism, at first it may look pretty cynical, and to be honest if I had understood earlier I probably wouldn't have made a monster out of one of my characters. But once again, scientist monkey. It dosen't get any less cynical than that. All this is having the odds against us with good antaginsts. You can play that multiple ways in my opinion:
1: A gritty anti-hero who dosen't care if they're in it to feed their families or do true good, and just want to stop a villain (while becoming a villain themselves...
Or something I've been waiting a long time to see: 2: a truely good, Batman-esque character who has a strong moral code against killing the innocent pawns of the sovices. He attempts to bring down the sovices by only hurting the army's means of controling the city, and not kill the army itself. This may sound hypocritical coming from me, who made GSQ murder groups of innocent soldiers, but when I did that I kinda estimated a lot of people were going to take the pasifist option instead. The violent option was better when only a couple of people were doing it. :smallfrown:

So yeah. If this is still not enough for you, we don't really need you here. I, for one, am planning to make some more comics pretty soon.

I'm not really sure what to do, though. I am kinda still waiting on Lying's responce to holding him at gunpoint, though I realize he may not respond. I should probably do something in the meantime, probably involving GSQ in FFF:R. I haven't really done any FI comics just because I'm not really sure what's going on ANYWHERE at the moment.

If anybody could explain to me what's going on in the locations of either of my two characters (in a city and in the citadel) that would be cool.

Felyndiira
2010-06-20, 09:34 AM
while I'm not a pure realist, I do enjoy some logic, consistency and all that in what I do, if I want to fight an opponent, I want them to be truly defeated, not for me to be foiled at the last second by some anti-climax for the sake of a random joke.

Before I actively joined GitP's forums, I used to participate in a online roleplaying forum with long, established posts. Granted, my preferences are typically realistic, surrealistic, and world-building rather than battle roleplays, although I've participated in (and helped balance) quite a few roleplaying guilds involving both power-driven and limited roleplays.

There's a large gap between fighting roleplays and practically every other rp style out there; a fighting roleplay involves one side trying to gain complete dominance over the other, and it's not at all uncommon for otherwise established roleplayers to sneak completely unfair moves into their characters and defy logic to gain prominence. It's often accepted in a fight for you to completely disregard your opponent and treat the stories as centered around yourself - after all, the point is to win, so why not?

No other form of roleplaying is in any way similar. The point of most realistic roleplays, you'll find, is not to win as much as to tell a common story. If the point of FFF:R is actually to win, all of us mages with disabling spells will spam them and no one else will get to do anything. This is not fun for anyone not trying to play a mage-type character, and this is why kippie isn't TK Sphere-ing everything, why X2 isn't pulling out raptures out of the blue (aside from the recoil aspect), why sini (I don't know sini's signature spell, so forgive me =p), and why I have no plans on jumping into the story and going "Blasphemy! You're all dead lol!"

There is nothing wrong with having your own plans. However, remember that the story is not about one character. FFF:R is not about Raziere winning, my character winning, or any character achieving complete dominance over a story; it's not hard for any of us to just win if we really wanted to by shutting down everyone else before they had a chance to respond. It's just really, really not fun for everyone else.

As for FI, the ALF is not in the worst of shape with no chance to win. A lot of us simply choose not to do (and explicitly ward the BBEG against) something like "teleport into Ins's chamber, drop nuke" because that, once again, ruins the story. Aside from the ALF having the big cannons and the yellow citradel, it also has way more powerful/skilled people - namely, the PCs - on its side. It's also expected that some of our Xanato's gambits will actually work and the status of the ALF will change during the course of the story; if we had already determined that the UNA will win and all of us in the ALF will die, a lot less of us would be interested in the story.

The only thing to remember in ABR plotlines is simply that the plot should never revolve around yourself. You can be an antagonist trying to take over the world (see: Cyban), a powerful neutral force (see: X2's overseer), or a great fallen force (see: Threeshades); the only thing we ask is that you give everyone else a part of the story instead of walking into every battle and just plain winning it all.

And, of course, if none of the plotlines satisfy you, there's always the choice to do random kills (in which you kill someone else's character in a non-plot setting in any way you desire) or starting your own storyline (like what X2 did with TJH), or just create a separate fancomic altogether.

EDIT:

2: a truely good, Batman-esque character who has a strong moral code against killing the innocent pawns of the sovices. He attempts to bring down the sovices by only hurting the army's means of controling the city, and not kill the army itself. This may sound hypocritical coming from me, who made GSQ murder groups of innocent soldiers, but when I did that I kinda estimated a lot of people were going to take the pasifist option instead. The violent option was better when only a couple of people were doing it. :smallfrown:
That would be Norn, in fact =p. Not quite Batman, but still only going after select big-name targets rather than random terrorism (and not quite killing them either).

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-20, 11:44 AM
That would be Norn, in fact =p. Not quite Batman, but still only going after select big-name targets rather than random terrorism (and not quite killing them either).

Well I don't know what the heck Norn is, and never heard of it.

And this also describes Batman. For example, in The Dark Knight Returns, there was the army called The Mutants which were made up of impressionable teenagers. Not quite innocents, but still. Batman went after their leader, and humiliated him, for the entire army to change flags (which actually ended up making it worse, but I hope you understand what I'm going for).

Darklord Bright
2010-06-20, 01:23 PM
I think Fely stated what I was getting at far more eloquently than I.

In unrelated news, one of the things I disliked whenever making character ideas for FI was that the badguys have really already won. I mean, by the end of FFF there was already an army of sovice flying in space-whales with the potential to nuke the planet from orbit, everything just felt kinda pointless after that...

-skimmer-
2010-06-20, 02:37 PM
In unrelated news, one of the things I disliked whenever making character ideas for FI was that the badguys have really already won. I mean, by the end of FFF there was already an army of sovice flying in space-whales with the potential to nuke the planet from orbit, everything just felt kinda pointless after that...

Oh, those whales on orbit are New Sovice Empire (http://abr.wetpaint.com/page/New+Sovice+Empire). ALF is fighting only against Holy Sovice Milita (http://abr.wetpaint.com/page/Holy+Sovice+Militia) which are on Avbaroy.
There's a huge difference between Sovice and Sovice, you know:smallsmile:

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-20, 03:58 PM
Do you mean the tall, bear creatures from Guild Wars?

Norn (http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Norn)

Lyinginbedmon
2010-06-20, 05:46 PM
Oh, those whales on orbit are New Sovice Empire (http://abr.wetpaint.com/page/New+Sovice+Empire). ALF is fighting only against Holy Sovice Milita (http://abr.wetpaint.com/page/Holy+Sovice+Militia) which are on Avbaroy.
There's a huge difference between Sovice and Sovice, you know:smallsmile:

Indeed, the NSE evens the odds for the resistance forces, whilst the HSM establishes the power base for the UNA but doesn't act as the main force. They're a background establishment more than a distinct threat.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-21, 02:25 AM
Before I actively joined GitP's forums, I used to participate in a online roleplaying forum with long, established posts. Granted, my preferences are typically realistic, surrealistic, and world-building rather than battle roleplays, although I've participated in (and helped balance) quite a few roleplaying guilds involving both power-driven and limited roleplays.

There's a large gap between fighting roleplays and practically every other rp style out there; a fighting roleplay involves one side trying to gain complete dominance over the other, and it's not at all uncommon for otherwise established roleplayers to sneak completely unfair moves into their characters and defy logic to gain prominence. It's often accepted in a fight for you to completely disregard your opponent and treat the stories as centered around yourself - after all, the point is to win, so why not?

No other form of roleplaying is in any way similar. The point of most realistic roleplays, you'll find, is not to win as much as to tell a common story. If the point of FFF:R is actually to win, all of us mages with disabling spells will spam them and no one else will get to do anything. This is not fun for anyone not trying to play a mage-type character, and this is why kippie isn't TK Sphere-ing everything, why X2 isn't pulling out raptures out of the blue (aside from the recoil aspect), why sini (I don't know sini's signature spell, so forgive me =p), and why I have no plans on jumping into the story and going "Blasphemy! You're all dead lol!"

There is nothing wrong with having your own plans. However, remember that the story is not about one character. FFF:R is not about Raziere winning, my character winning, or any character achieving complete dominance over a story; it's not hard for any of us to just win if we really wanted to by shutting down everyone else before they had a chance to respond. It's just really, really not fun for everyone else.

As for FI, the ALF is not in the worst of shape with no chance to win. A lot of us simply choose not to do (and explicitly ward the BBEG against) something like "teleport into Ins's chamber, drop nuke" because that, once again, ruins the story. Aside from the ALF having the big cannons and the yellow citradel, it also has way more powerful/skilled people - namely, the PCs - on its side. It's also expected that some of our Xanato's gambits will actually work and the status of the ALF will change during the course of the story; if we had already determined that the UNA will win and all of us in the ALF will die, a lot less of us would be interested in the story.

The only thing to remember in ABR plotlines is simply that the plot should never revolve around yourself. You can be an antagonist trying to take over the world (see: Cyban), a powerful neutral force (see: X2's overseer), or a great fallen force (see: Threeshades); the only thing we ask is that you give everyone else a part of the story instead of walking into every battle and just plain winning it all.

And, of course, if none of the plotlines satisfy you, there's always the choice to do random kills (in which you kill someone else's character in a non-plot setting in any way you desire) or starting your own storyline (like what X2 did with TJH), or just create a separate fancomic altogether.

EDIT:

all good points, got all that.

just a few questions

........if your characters are so powerful why do you make them that way? there is a reason the "gather five X's to get a Y" quest is usually done by a guy with a sword, a bigger guy with a hammer, a wizard, a healer and some sneaky person with a knife. it is kind of confusing, since its sort of expected for really powerful people to actually use their powers
you don't send super-powerful people at this level to do something like that, you send those ragtag guys over there who struggle just to take down an ogre/troll if you want a good story.
pretty much meaning? higher the power level, the more complex the plot has to be to keep up with it, its why when I'm gonna be a novelist, my drifting band of criminals are will just barely better be more powerful than the other criminals and police men they fight.

I don't fault you guys for all this, I'm just saying if you want to tell a better story I'd think it actually be better if your characters we were weaker as it just introduces flaws in logic if you make them too powerful or make limitations to explain why they can't use them, I dunno maybe you have already done this, but Dr.Manhattan while he was very powerful, was controlled by fate. so your characters being so powerful just confused me and I just gone "if they are so powerful why aren't they using it?"

and no "because then we'd have no story" is not an answer, not even in a fourth-wall breaking comic, it implies that everyone is holding the idiot ball, and if it has no fourth wall, that means everyone is purposefully being genre blind and are holding said ball on purpose which just sounds like a big idiot plot to me. that is just my opinion on it.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-21, 04:30 AM
all good points, got all that.

just a few questions

........if your characters are so powerful why do you make them that way? there is a reason the "gather five X's to get a Y" quest is usually done by a guy with a sword, a bigger guy with a hammer, a wizard, a healer and some sneaky person with a knife. it is kind of confusing, since its sort of expected for really powerful people to actually use their powers
you don't send super-powerful people at this level to do something like that, you send those ragtag guys over there who struggle just to take down an ogre/troll if you want a good story.
pretty much meaning? higher the power level, the more complex the plot has to be to keep up with it, its why when I'm gonna be a novelist, my drifting band of criminals are will just barely better be more powerful than the other criminals and police men they fight.

I don't fault you guys for all this, I'm just saying if you want to tell a better story I'd think it actually be better if your characters we were weaker as it just introduces flaws in logic if you make them too powerful or make limitations to explain why they can't use them, I dunno maybe you have already done this, but Dr.Manhattan while he was very powerful, was controlled by fate. so your characters being so powerful just confused me and I just gone "if they are so powerful why aren't they using it?"

and no "because then we'd have no story" is not an answer, not even in a fourth-wall breaking comic, it implies that everyone is holding the idiot ball, and if it has no fourth wall, that means everyone is purposefully being genre blind and are holding said ball on purpose which just sounds like a big idiot plot to me. that is just my opinion on it.

Even the strongest of might and magic can be felled by a single bullet.

Or in other words, technology and training have lead to the UNA soldiers being a valid treat to magic-users.

The only ones a large (I'm guessing that would be twenty but I'm not sure) number of UNA soldiers would have trouble to overcome are sparse, limited (Nameless) and/or crazy (Igon Minoblendy)

CrimsonAngel
2010-06-21, 06:21 AM
I like your avatar, Keveak... But i'm to afraid to ask for one. :smallannoyed:

Notice how I was able to avoid his name. Until now.

kpenguin
2010-06-21, 10:54 AM
We are here to HAVE SOME #$@&ING FUN. Worrying about this kind of stuff is completely missing the whole point. :smallsigh:

Be nice, Q... we don't want this thread locked, do we?

Felyndiira
2010-06-21, 12:02 PM
...if your characters are so powerful why do you make them that way? there is a reason the "gather five X's to get a Y" quest is usually done by a guy with a sword, a bigger guy with a hammer, a wizard, a healer and some sneaky person with a knife. it is kind of confusing, since its sort of expected for really powerful people to actually use their powers.
Let me answer this question, in regard to FFF:R, with the following quote you gave:

Now, you've seen Kippie use tk sphere in the previous comics. It's one of his signature attacks from the first days of ABR when everything is just random battles. Now, imagine him using it on all the bad guys. Do you visualize an instant win?

Yes, we do hold the idiot ball quite extensively in FFF:R. The purpose of that particular story, like many other stories in ABR, is about having fun over telling a grand and epic story. You have purposely dysfunctional characters like Cyban, and people purposely make mistakes to disadvantage themselves and invoke TVTropes. The comic's goal has never been to tell a wonderful story - only for a bunch of people to have fun and do stuff, with having fun being the most important thing.

For the story-telling part, many of us have separate comics outside of ABR where we can actually tell the story of our hearts; these range from D&D hijinks (Murphy's Law, Anti-Heroes) to explorations of life (Molly and the Waves) and are intentionally written by a limited number of people so that there's actual consistency and flow of plot.

FI, too, was originally intended to tell a story, and in fact still is. If you do want a coherent story, that storyline might interest you more.

That's not particularly true, actually. Most traditional fantasy stories feature rag-tag novices that struggle to take down whatever the BBEG happens to be, although many modern mediums are shying away from the medium. Some heroes start off "powerful;" others simply do away with the whole good vs. evil cliche and go with a more objective-based setting. There are also enough where both sides have approximately equal or comparable strength, and the story simply involves the struggles of one group vs. another.

Good luck on being a novelist, by the way. ABR does not seek to be published in RPG or paper medium, so we tend to look in the other direction in favor of fun for everyone involved. Besides, Raziere is adequately powerful, is he not =p? Perhaps that warrants a bit of an observation as well in your analysis.

There's a rule that I've learned from my exposure to online roleplaying (with long and detailed posts rather than the "one-line" approach). If you want a meaningful roleplay with an exceptional storyline, invite a few people that you trust and can communicate with; a rag-tag group of a ton of people, no matter how skilled individually, will tug the story in too many different directions to produce something extraordinary.

That is why most of the stories in ABR are not serious. TJH had a wonderful plotline that could easily have become great, although it, too, ended up being relatively silly. FI's the only plotline at the moment that's trying to be a serious plot; FI's also the only one where people can actually die, so there's less tolerance for plot-hogging there as well. Many of us will likely play important roles in addition to the idle killing currently going on (and some of us will take on other PCs), although we will not individually defeat the UNA or crush the ALF.

Remember: we're not against Raziere because he's too powerful. We're against him because he hogs the story.