PDA

View Full Version : Monk Stuff

Rainbownaga
2010-04-15, 12:44 AM
Not going to change the monk, just going to add some stuff to my game to make NPC monks something other than 'free xp'.

Leg wraps:

Replace boots
Cost = 1+ 100 masterwork, + enchantment bonus (Enchantment at least +1)
Allow non-monks to kick (attack while hands full)
Attacks count as unarmed for the purpose of: Flurry, Stunning strike, Ki-strike, damage, attacks of opportunity.
Enchants as single item, counts as 1-handed weapon for the purpose of materials.
Attack bonus only applies to kicking attacks
Can be used with ‘amulet of iron fists’ but not with necklace or other natural attack boosters.

Special: Leg wraps can also double as fist wraps, but take up the gloves slot and do not apply to kicking attacks.

Lesser Artifact
Premium Heart Gauntlets
A pair of +6 gauntlets that can be worn over gloves of dexterity. If worn as a pair and if both the wielder’s hands are free, they can be used as a monk weapon, can channel quivering palm, ki-strike and stunning fist, and gain a bonus to damage equal to the number of stunning fist attempts the wearer has remaining.

[B]Feats:

Sword Form:
Requirements: Weapon Proficiency (Longsword, shortsword, rapier or scimitar)
Benefit: Longswords, shortswords, rapiers and scimitars become monk weapons, allowing you to flurry with them.

Master of the Quivering Palm
Requirements: Quivering palm monk ability; stunning fist; Wisdom 13
Benefits: You permanently lose 5 uses of your stunning fist ability- instead you can use the quivering palm ability once per round instead of once per week. Additionally, protection from critical hits no longer prevents quivering palm, but immunity to fortitude saves (undead and constructs) still apply.

Spiritual Meditation
Requirements: Monk level 12
Benefit: You can spend 5 minutes meditating to recover all uses of your abundant step, quivering palm and empty body monk class features. Similar abilities from other classes are not affected.

Master of the Abundent Step
Requirements: Abundent Step monk ability
Benefit: Your abundant step ability can now be used once every 3 rounds instead of once every day. Additionally, when you gain the perfect self ability it acts as greater teleport instead of dimension door.
Drawback: When you use the abundant step ability, you can now only transport yourself and 60lb of inanimate objects. This applies to both the dimension door and greater teleport varieties.

Master of the Whole Body
Requirements: Monk level 12, Spiritual Meditation, Stunning fist.
Benefit: Spiritual meditation also recovers your full supply of healing granted by the wholeness of body ability. Additionally, as a standard action, you may attempt to heal another willing, living creature; they gain 1 hp for every 2 that you spend from your whole body class feature.
Drawback: You lose 5 uses of your stunning fist ability.

Master of the Diamond Body
Requirements: Diamond body class feature; Iron will
Benefit: You are immune to death and mind affecting effects, effects that would change your form, and have the permanent benefit of free movement. At monk level 20 you gain immunity to critical hits and effects that target alignment.
Drawback: The power from this ability cannot be negated, even in an antimagic field or by the character’s choice. Also the monk no longer qualifies for the perfect self ability since this involves a change of form.

Disciple of the Air
Requirements: Monk level 4
Benefit: You gain the ability to safely fall the distance associated with your slow fall ability even when you have no wall to slow you down. This is in addition to the usual slow fall ability, meaning you can effectively slow fall twice the usual distance, but only when unarmored and carrying a light load.

Additionally, when adjacent to a wall or other near-vertical surface, you can effectively slow-fall backwards, being able to spend an amount of movement vertically equal to the amount granted by your slow-fall monk ability. This movement counts against your usual movement. This is a supernatural ability.

Master of the Air
Requirement: Monk level 12, Disciple of the air
Benefit: As long as you have something to push against, you can move in any direction through the air for a distance equal to the slow-fall ability granted by your monk’s slow-fall ability for each leap. This still counts against your total movement for the turn, and if you end your turn in mid-air you will fall in the following round.

Additionally, you can walk on walls and ceilings as easily as the floor (though you still fall if tripped), you never take falling damage (even if unconscious), and once you gain perfect body, you gain a flight speed equal to your ground speed.

All the benefits of this feat are supernatural; you lose these benefits in the presence of an antimagic field.

imp_fireball
2010-04-15, 01:23 AM
Additionally, when adjacent to a wall or other near-vertical surface, you can effectively slow-fall backwards, being able to spend an amount of movement vertically equal to the amount granted by your slow-fall monk ability. This movement counts against your usual movement. This is a supernatural ability.

Word it this way instead -

Additionally, you now have 'up the walls' as the psionic feat, however you do not need to be psionically focused and the distance that you may scale per round is equal to your slow fall distance. You no longer need to end a round upon solid ground, however you must contact solid ground prior to using slow fall again in this way. This is an extraordinary ability (makes more sense since uber martial arts = uber wall walking).
------

Also, have you considered special monk weapons? Deadliest warrior (awesome show on spike TV) listed crazy weapons that the shaolin monk used (none of which are detailed in the SRD; also note that the monk in D&D is largely based on the shaolin monk, at least in the sense that they're lawful and use martial arts - shaolin monks specifically would probably be LG).

Pink
2010-04-15, 02:23 AM
I like these. They give the monk a well-needed boost, and maintain the feeling of the monk. It's just a shame that they don't address the problem of the movement centric monk's special ability to not move to flurry, or the MAD or...anyway, I do like these.

My only real note is, were I a monk, I would be scrambling to get as many of these with my limited feats as possible. That and, depending on how often a DM uses 3d combat, the Air feats may not be as awesome as they could be.

Ashtagon
2010-04-15, 02:40 AM
Giving the monk something else to spend feats on also means they will be even less likely to get the benefits of the martial arts styles (featured in Oriental Adventures and certain issues of Dragon). Note that those weren't weaksauce anyway.

Mongoose87
2010-04-15, 09:21 AM
Quivering Palm once per round seems a bit excessive. That could be more SoDs than a wizard can dish out, depending on how often you use it. Maybe a few times per encounter?

DaTedinator
2010-04-15, 10:51 AM
Quivering Palm once per round seems a bit excessive. That could be more SoDs than a wizard can dish out, depending on how often you use it. Maybe a few times per encounter?

Also, giving up uses per day of one thing to get unlimited uses of something else seems a little strange. Perhaps a feat that lets you make a stunning fist attempt once per round, and then another one that lets you make a quivering palm attempt once per round.

Otherwise, wicked awesome stuff, man.

Cursedblessing
2010-04-15, 06:56 PM
Master of the Air
Requirement: Monk level 12, Disciple of the air
Benefit: As long as you have something to push against, you can move in any direction through the air for a distance equal to the slow-fall ability granted by your monk’s slow-fall ability for each leap. This still counts against your total movement for the turn, and if you end your turn in mid-air you will fall in the following round.

Additionally, you can walk on walls and ceilings as easily as the floor (though you still fall if tripped), you never take falling damage (even if unconscious), and once you gain perfect body, you gain a flight speed equal to your ground speed.

All the benefits of this feat are supernatural; you lose these benefits in the presence of an antimagic field.

If only it wasnt supernatural, then my monk could instantly goto the top of the infinitely tall spire in the outlands from the bottom. PHYSICALLY.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-04-15, 08:38 PM
One thing overlooked in the monk is the grapple potential. A monk can make a flurry of blows while negating an enemy's weapon attacks dealing normal damage and taking less. I have not tried a monk with these capabilities but I imagine it would be incredibly powerful.

Rainbownaga
2010-04-16, 08:30 PM

This was actually intended to give something of a wizard's power to the monk, though it is severely weaker being melee, requiring an attack vs armor, fortitude only, and being fueled by a MAD characters ability scores. Remember, you must declare the quivering palm before the strike, so only one of those half-dozen attacks gets the boost.

Also, 5 minute adventuring days plus quickened spells plus all the other things wizards can do mean that they still come nowhere near. Also remember that you have to be 15th level to get this: Warlocks get at will SoD's soon after.

Also, giving up uses per day of one thing to get unlimited uses of something else seems a little strange. Perhaps a feat that lets you make a stunning fist attempt once per round, and then another one that lets you make a quivering palm attempt once per round.

I was thinking of making the two feats that lose stunning fist uses lose the ability to use stunning fist altogether and treat it as an added cost (as those were the two feats I felt were the most powerful). I felt that thematically it didn't make sense to lose the ability to stun a target completely.

Otherwise, wicked awesome stuff, man.

Thank you

I like these. They give the monk a well-needed boost, and maintain the feeling of the monk. It's just a shame that they don't address the problem of the movement centric monk's special ability to not move to flurry, or the MAD or...anyway, I do like these.]

Actually, that was one of the reasons for Master of the Quivering Palm and Spiritual Meditation; you can run at a target and at least have a small chance of getting a save or die on them.

[QUOTE]My only real note is, were I a monk, I would be scrambling to get as many of these with my limited feats as possible. That and, depending on how often a DM uses 3d combat, the Air feats may not be as awesome as they could be.

Part of my plan was to make it so that you couldn't get them all. Not only are they mostly level 12+, some of them interact and have slightly negative side effects so that you still have to make choices. Personally I think that the air feats really are quite weak, since they're basically equivalent to gaining flight, but there are times when that is useful.

If only it wasnt supernatural, then my monk could instantly goto the top of the infinitely tall spire in the outlands from the bottom. PHYSICALLY.

That's why I included the note about counting against your movement for the turn; d&d has enough faster-than-light hi jinx already. Maybe an epic feat could remove the two clauses for epic leaping action.