PDA

View Full Version : My small rogue needs a gauntlet or glove

Al3x4nd3r
2010-04-15, 11:54 AM
I know, I know, title seems NSFW but I really mean it: I need a glove / gauntlet / wristsomething to fight.

I have a Whisper Gnome Rogue / Swashbuckler, and I'd like to give him some kind of bladed gauntlet or wrist blade. It's better if it's retractable, but it doesn't really matter.

I saw the Bladed Gauntlet in the sword and the fist manual (with the errata that gets the crit to 19-20 instead of 17-20, of course) and I really liked it. Even if it's small and light it uses a D6 for damage...but what I really like is the flavour.

Problem is that I should get a feat just for it. I have proficiency with both simple and martial weapons, so I'd like to fight with something that falls in this category.

Let me know of you know of some weapon I could use, I can use every 3.0 / 3.5 / Pathfinder manual.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-15, 11:58 AM
While not technically bladed, you could go with a ward cestus from the Arms and Equipment Guide.
"This is a stout leather gauntlet with a well-forged metal weight sewn into it over the knuckles. A strike with a ward cestus is considered an unarmed attack. If you take a Total Defense action, you gain an additional +1 bonus to your Armor Class, representing blows you block with the back of your protected hand. Your opponent cannot disarm you of a ward cestus. The cost and weight are for a single ward cestus."

Abd al-Azrad
2010-04-15, 12:03 PM
I suspect this sort of thing would be best solved by using a regular dagger and Sleight of Hand. The "retractable bladed glove" thing would end up just being flavour to describe what you're doing mechanically.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-15, 12:09 PM
Another option would be to look at the hidden blade options from Complete Scoundrel (pg. 109-110). For example, "Sleeve Blade: Strapped to the forearm of its wearer, a sleeve blade lies hidden under a long-sleeved shirt or dress. Making a quick downward flick with the wrist triggers the mechanism, extending the blade beyond the top of the wearer’s hand. Treat a sleeve blade as a dagger."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-15, 12:11 PM
Arguskos made this:
`

Armblade

A sneaky weapon much favored by rogues, ruffians, and thugish fellows of all types, the armblade is a clever weapon, and can be retracted into the hilt for easy hiding as a free action (opening it is a free action as well). The armblade is a light exotic weapon, dealing 1d4 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. A retracted armblade grants a +4 on Slight of Hand checks made to conceal it on your person. However, the true power of an armblade is in surprise. If the wielder of an armblade opens it and attacks a flat-footed opponent with it in the same round, they gain +1 attack and +1d6 damage, for that attack only. Armblades take up the bracer slot.
Price: 150 gp

But it is an exotic weapon... meh it deserved being mentioned

Person_Man
2010-04-15, 12:16 PM
There's the Gnomish Quickrazor (Races of Stone). It's basically a wrist blade that you can draw or sheath as a free action. Very useful for Iaijutsu Focus. It's an exotic weapon, but because you're a Gnome and you won't be abusing it, a reasonable DM would give it to you as a martial weapon.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-15, 12:20 PM
There's the Gnomish Quickrazor (Races of Stone). It's basically a wrist blade that you can draw or sheath as a free action. Very useful for Iaijutsu Focus. It's an exotic weapon, but because you're a Gnome and you won't be abusing it, a reasonable DM would give it to you as a martial weapon.

IIRC in one book (CWAR I believe) there is a rule that races with weapon familiarity might change them to get the weapon from the book (example being elves and the thin blade; but we can extrapolate gnomes forgetting to learn how to use a gnomish hammer and learn to use a quickrazor

Al3x4nd3r
2010-04-15, 12:21 PM
Thank you for your replies.

A retractable blade would be nice, but I'm looking for something like the bladed gauntlet.
I really want to fight with my hands, that's it XD
I don't really need to conceal the weapon, that would just be a nice touch.

By the way, I'll try to acquire the Arms and Equipment guide ASAP. One of my group has it, he's coming here right now with the book as I really like the ward cestus idea, too.

EDIT: Nevermind the ward cestus, is an exotic weapon!

gorfnab
2010-04-15, 02:00 PM
How about the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades from the MIC? Not exactly a retractable blade but it does produce a dagger at will.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-15, 02:03 PM
I say actually a version of a "retractible punching dagger" to match that Altair/Enzio flavor. But, don't forget to remove your ring finger...

arguskos
2010-04-15, 02:06 PM
Arguskos made this:
`

But it is an exotic weapon... meh it deserved being mentioned
...I was actually going to post that myself, but someone beat me to my own work! :smallbiggrin:

Also, as food for thought, try the Disguised Dagger, from the Dragon Compendium. Say it's sewn into your glove as a decorative thing. :smallwink: