PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War pt1: Resuce at Rivenroar.

Reynard
2010-04-15, 12:48 PM
The world has never been a safe place. Bastions of civilization populate a dark, menacing world—islands of order and reason exist in a land otherwise overrun by dark cults, vile monsters, creatures from the dark edges of the imagination, and worse. As deadly as the world is on a normal day, something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized Elsir Vale. Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red Hand, the Vale has known several years of peace since brave adventurers stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying back into the darkness.

The Antler and Thistle Inn is strangely quiet for this time of the early evening. The barman stands behind the bar, idly wiping it with a rag. Two waitresses drift around the room, occasionally picking up the odd flagon or mopping up spillages. A small group of three humans are gambling in a back corner of the room, a decent-sized stack of coins on the table in front of them. A young man sits an his chair, hunched over a flagon, occasionally shooting glances towards a young couple who are talking animatedly to each other, their drinks forgotten. Two old men sit at the bar, chatting about old times and better times.

Your party has taken a table by the fire, simply to banish the cold of your journey to Brindol. Originally, you banded together out of mutual protection, but now you've decided to try and make something out of your life on the roads.

What do you do?

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-15, 02:17 PM
*I move closer to the fire, feeling its warm embrace and mentally thanking the wood for sacrificing itself so that I and my friends my have warmth.*
"Say laddies, how far out are we anyhow?" Thoril asks to his companions.

Brangaene
2010-04-15, 02:37 PM
Jolted out of a sleepy trance, Erida turns from the flames, picks up her mug, and takes a long pull of her drink.

Turning her silver eyes to Thoril, she responds playfully in a cool, throaty voice.

What's the rush? You don't like traveling the open road? Not knowing what is around the corner? She chuckles, The end of one journey is just the beginning of the next, my friend...

She finishes off the rest of her ale, raises her empty mug and calls for a refill.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-15, 02:58 PM
Thoril is taken back for a moment, though he has been out of the forest for several years, he is still learning how to communicate with other people, females in particular. He pauses a few seconds before responding.

Nay lass, I rather enjoy traveling, and I mean no offense to any of you my companion... I was just curious... This world seems so big, and yet so small at the same time. We hear of cities across oceans and foreign lands, but we have to spend weeks, months even, traveling from one destination to another.....

Thoril trails off and turns back to the fire and sits near it, a little too near for most peoples taste.

Brangaene
2010-04-15, 03:07 PM
Amused, she responds

Nah, it takes more than that to offend me. I have been on my fair share of trips. I take after my father in that way. Believe you me, my mother is *not* happy about that - not one bit!

She tosses a copper piece to the waitress who has replaced her empty mug with one overflowing with ale.

So, what goes on around here? I'm sure you hear all the local gossip. I would guess that you hear a lot of stories once patrons get into their cups. She gives her a wink and smiles slightly, making an effort to hide the points of her teeth.

V for Victory
2010-04-15, 03:30 PM
Areith sits paitently at the table with his hands clenched in fists between his legs, uncomfortable in a building and untrusting of all the people

mkfuba07
2010-04-15, 05:16 PM
Warren

Warren restlessly taps his fingers on the table. Anxious to prove himself, his desire to exchange pleasantries is at a minimum. Barely listening to his companions' conversation, he looks for a new mark.
A new town lends itself to new opportunities he thinks to himself. It's time to have some fun.
Scanning the room, his eyes fall upon the young man occasionally shooting glances towards the couple.
This could be interesting... Jealousy? Let's test these waters.
Choosing his words carefully, he enfolds these words in a pocket of arcane power, and wisps them across the room, unleashing them in a whisper audible to the couple, but not the young man.
As if muttered by the young man, the couple hears "What's so great about him? I could take him."
Returning his eyes to his chatting companions, Warren keeps his ears open to what is happening elsewhere. Let's see if anything comes of this. Unable to contain his delight, a small smirk crawls over his face.

Reynard
2010-04-16, 03:41 AM
The young couple look around for a second, not seeming to recognize the young man. They quickly return to their conversation, and the young man seems a bit confused by the brief amount of attention he got. He shrugs, pulls something out of a pocket and looks at it for a while.

____

The waitress seems suprised by Erida's question.
"Well ma'am, there ain't much to say that you'd find interesting. But-" She leans closer and whispers: "See that boy over there? His sweetheart's father won't let him near her. And she's supposed to be sneakin' out and meetin' him 'ere, but she's late. And those two are recently engaged, so he's been givin' 'em looks all night, and all three of those gamblers are cheating, and..." She continues this for a good minute or so, before the barman tells her to get back to work.

mackejn
2010-04-16, 07:37 AM
"I don't see why people like it in towns so much. I much prefer the woods. At least there I know what is friend and what is foe." Cress says wearily. "Ale is the main redeeming quality here."

Brangaene
2010-04-16, 08:58 AM
Erida thanks her waitress, and takes a look at the young man waiting for his love. She recognizes the pain in his face. Though very young at the time, she remembered her mother would look like that when she thought of her father while he was away on one of his many trips. However, she was not much for love stories. Erida saw the despair and anger that love brought to her mother, and she did not want to tread down those roads.

Her pity is quickly replaced by curiosity as her gaze finds the three men. She watches the gamblers intently, observing the basics of their game. I wonder just how they are cheating... It looks simple enough.

Aye Cress, the wilderness is quite balanced in that way. It is good to know who your enemies are. Though I would rather deal with humanoid enemies than animal. It doesn't seem fair to the animals. But I agree whole heartedly about the ale!

Though she tries to control herself, she continues to sneak glances at the forlorn gentleman looking at whatever it was he pulled from his pocket.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-16, 10:09 AM
"Ah, but my friends, how swiftly you forget about little ole me. I know the creatures of the woods, and the animals will let us be. And if one does attack, then we defend our well being, just as they must defend theirs if we were to attack them."

Thoril stood and stretched his full body.

"So... Are we staying here tonight or moving on?"

mkfuba07
2010-04-16, 10:41 AM
Hmm, not jealousy, then, thought Warren.
As I should have known, the fact that no one in this town knows me is balanced by the fact that I also don't know them.
It did elicit a reaction, though, he noted, feeling a pang of regret. I don't think I'm done with this guy just yet.
Returning to the conversation at his table, from time to time, he glances at the young man, trying to see what's in his hand.
As for ale, I was never allowed a taste. Everyone in town knew my mother, and asking for a glass was a sure-fire way to get in trouble.
Yet another thing I should 'thank' her for, I suppose.
To date, my only opponents have been packs of wolves and the occasional obstinate drunkard. I've never been outside the borders of Talar. Have your travels taken you far?

In response to Thoril's question, a smile flashes across Warren's face.
I'll follow the lead of the more experienced adventurers, although I am excited for our travels to get underway.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-16, 11:05 AM
"I have not been very long in the business of traveling, but it seems that the Darven homeland is far for most. So I suppose it depends on your definition, Warren."

mkfuba07
2010-04-16, 11:19 AM
Very true. I forget that for some, far from home is not simply outside the city's border. This is the farthest I've ever been from home. To be honest, I wouldn't mind getting a bit farther.

mackejn
2010-04-16, 12:10 PM
Cress gives a soft throaty growl. "I do prefer outside these walls, but staying here has its advantages as well. I do not care."

Brangaene
2010-04-16, 01:40 PM
Seeing the Dwarf stretch, though comical, triggered her own desire to yawn and stretch.

I'm all for spending the night by the warm fire, if there are no other pressing issues.

Reynard
2010-04-16, 02:24 PM
((It seems you rolled a 1 for perception, Brangaene.))

The young man seems to be reading something that puts a faint smile on his face, but he keeps looking around for his girl to arrive.

Through the windows on the eastern wall, you can see that the Sun has nearly completely set, the sky now a very dark blue-grey colour. The Barman wonders over to your table.

"You got somewhere to stay tonight? We ain't closing for a while, but there isn't a big enough room for a group your size here. Well, unless the Lady sleeps in her own, then we can probably fit you all in."

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-16, 02:29 PM
Well, naturally. How else would she stay but alone?"

V for Victory
2010-04-16, 03:12 PM
Arieth begins to miss the wild with all of this talk of the outdoors. He begins fingering a strange rune on the table.

Brangaene
2010-04-16, 06:57 PM
((I'm horrible at finding the Red Herring... She knows something is going on with the guy, but hasn't quite decided if she wants to find out what it is. :smallwink: ))

For a moment, Erida seems confused, until she looks around at her table and sniffs. Apparently, she hadn't realized that she was the only 'lady' in the group.

Not used to being called a Lady, she blushes and her already red skin darkens in color. She shakes her head, annoyed with herself and speaks, her voice cracking almost imperceptively.

Of course I'll sleep by myself. At least it will get us some rooms. I would like to stick around down here for a bit longer.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-16, 07:18 PM
'Then it shall be as the lass wishes! Wheres the rooms lad?"

Reynard
2010-04-17, 02:51 AM
"Lad? Boy, I've seen more winters then you have. Many more. Rooms are 2gp, but you'd only have to pay 4, since you're only usin' two of 'em. For an extra 2sp each, you'll get breakfast tomorrow morn-."

At this point, he's cut off as the door slams open and a young woman runs into the Inn. She spots the young man and runs to him, and he catches her. The doors swing shut after rebounding off of the walls, the catch falling into place.

"Lass, treat my Inn with a bit more respect."
"Sorry, sir. But I think I saw someone following me in the shadows."
"Well, if there was someone there, then they won't bother you in here. Now, where was I? Ah, yes. Breakfast is 2sp, 4sp if you want something nice. Ya can pay me tomorrow, I'll go set-"

*CRUNCH*

"What th' hells is going on toni-"

*CRUNCH*

"Anne, go open the door and tell 'em to bugger off."

As the innkeepers daughter goes to the doors, they're smashed completely off of their hinges, landing amidst the tables closest to them. Four goblins rush into the room, and the first one immediately goes for Anne, grabbing her.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4527176353_3d2b53500b_o.png

Initiative time!

Green 'H's are you lot, choose one and give it's grid co-ordinates when you roll initiative. Blue are the other bar patrons. Red are the Gobbos.

mkfuba07
2010-04-17, 04:36 AM
Warren

Warren, abruptly getting to his feet and drawing his orb from his sleeve, gestures to the five patrons nearest him.
"Quickly, get in the back! I'll cover your escape!"

Returning his gaze to the goblins, his heart flutters in exhilaration, and a smirk creeps across his face.

This is it.

Initiative:[roll0]

V for Victory
2010-04-17, 07:18 AM
Arieth stands up quickly holding his arms strongly at his side.

Arieth is in E7

Initiative: [roll0]

mackejn
2010-04-17, 11:29 AM
Cress stands and draws his sword. "What is this?" He yells.

Initiative: [roll0]
Cress is at F-6 I guess.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-17, 12:58 PM
Thoril stands and shouts loudly at the goblins. He brings his axe in front of him and pops his neck.

Initiative
[roll0]
I dont have a mod

(Thoril at F-8)

Reynard
2010-04-19, 12:01 PM
Initiative Order:

>>> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Mackejn (14)
> Hobgoblins (12)
> Warren (5)
> Thoril (2)
> Erida (N/A)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4535432210_85855a7270_o.png

V for Victory, it's your turn.

Please ask in the OoC if any part of the map is confusing.

mackejn
2010-04-19, 03:51 PM
Delay until after the hobgobs go.

V for Victory
2010-04-19, 04:53 PM
Arieth closes his eyes and suddenly a great, green spirit opens it's wings behind the goblin in front of the bar. Then the eagle reaches forward to attack the goblin with his beak. Arieth strides towards the of the end of the bar while his eagle flies towards the other goblins.

Mechanical Breakdown:

#1 Minor: Call Spirit companion into K12
#2 Standard: Spirit of the Tempest Watchers Strike at the goblin in J12

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

#3 Move: Arieth moves to D12, Arieth's spirit companion flies to L9

Stats:

Hp:26
Healing Surges Used/Left:0/9
AC:13
Spirit Companion Location:L9

Reynard
2010-04-19, 06:27 PM
Anne screams in terror at the Hobgoblin trying to drag her out of the bar, and as the spectral eagle rips into the Hobgoblin holding her, she screams some more, fleeing into the arms of her father. The eagle then breaks away from the remains of the Hobgoblin, and flies towards the rest of the creatures.

The couple and the barman's other daughter flee in the direction of the back door to avoid being trapped in a corner, but the man stops and picks up a chair with both hands and turns to help hold off the hobgoblins. The young man struggles to get his newly-arrived to hide upstairs, but she refuses to leave, holding him tight. The gamblers make no real moves, keeping close to the gold on the table.

The remaining three Hobgoblins start up a war-chant, crying out in their guttural voices as they chase the patrons around the bar. "For Sinruth! For The Hand". the two next to the Eagle-Spirit maneuver themselves so take it from both sides. but their weapons pass though it without harming it. The third Hobgoblin goes after the man wielding the chair, who somehow manages to block the creatures longsword with the chair.

There was no way on earth that the hobgobs would do enough damage to the spirit to destroy it, and I didn't want to have to wait and edit this post after rolling, so I did the attack vs the human with my own dice. Anyway:

> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Hobgoblins (12)
>>> Cress (14, Delayed)
> Warren (5)
> Thoril (2)
> Erida (N/A)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4536534180_0ab9c70c9c_o.png

Mackejn, Brangaene, ImmortalLiam, and Mkfuba, post your actions.

mkfuba07
2010-04-19, 07:49 PM
Warren

Warren, seeing that the nearest goblin is about to be eviscerated by Cress, turns his attention to the two hobbos flanking the ethereal eagle.
Time to show 'em what I can do!
Moving to stand next to Arieth, he nudges him with his elbow and, cocking his head towards the boy says, "Check this out."
Drawing from the heat in the fireplace, he enfolds this energy in arcane power, casting it towards the ground near the feet of the hobgoblins. With a thought, he magnifies the energy, and, with a snap of his finger, releases it in a fiery burst.

Move Action: Move to D11
Standard Action:
Scorching Burst, centered on L10 (Burst 1)
Intelligence vs. Reflex
Left HG: [roll0]
Right HG: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] fire damage

"I think that got a bit too hot for them," Warren says with a smirk.

Reynard
2010-04-19, 08:16 PM
To the two Hobgoblins and the Eagle-Spirit, the explosion next to them comes as quite a surprise. The hobgoblins scream with pain and one of them even loses an arm, before they both fall to the ground writhing in pain for a moment, becoming still after a moment. The Eagle-Spirit screeches and stares at Warren, and the floor, ceiling, one table and two chairs are mildly scorched.

mackejn
2010-04-19, 08:20 PM
Cress wordlessly charges the hobgoblin.

Let's try this again thanks to the merciful DM.
Charge the hobgoblin in I-4 using Ardent Strike
Str vs. AC
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Target is subject to divine sanction. If it attacks anyone other than me before the end of it's next turn, it takes 3+Cha(1) damage.

Reynard
2010-04-19, 08:30 PM
Too concerned with the chair-wielding man, the Hobgoblin fails to notice the charging Paladin until five and a half feet of tempered steel separates it's chest from it's waist.

Of course, by this time it's far too late.

Those of you with a passive perception of 15 or more can hear running feet outside of the tavern, heading to the front, doorless, entrance.

> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Cress (14, Delayed)
> Hobgoblins (12)
> Warren (5)
>>> Thoril (2)
>>> Erida (N/A)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4536132465_5f14425a65_o.png

mackejn
2010-04-19, 08:47 PM
"Well that was interesting." Cress says in a rather annoyed tone. "Any idea what that was all about?"

The paladin is oblivious. Also, I love the smoking crater on the map.

mkfuba07
2010-04-19, 09:00 PM
"I have no idea."
After glancing at the smoking ground, Warren looks anxiously towards the tavern owner, hoping that he isn't staring right back.
I saved their lives, that's a perfectly valid excuse, right?

Warren, too, hears nothing. And I also like the scorch marks. Nice touch.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-19, 09:32 PM
Thoril draws his axe and twirls it around like a toy, excited and anxious to show off his skills to his new friends.. Only to find that they did not need any help.

""Blast it... Magic users... I wanted to have fun..."

Hearing footsteps outside Thoril strolls toward the entrance with his axe in his right hand, but hanging down near his waist rather than in an offensive stance.

Reynard
2010-04-19, 10:41 PM
As Thoril crosses the scorchmark on the floor, three more hobgoblins charge screaming into the room, repeating the "For the Hand! For Sinruth! war cry. One comes straight at Thoril, swinging it's sword in an underarm arc to his side.

[roll0]

But Thoril easily dodges the atttack.

The second in goes for the spirit, realising too late that his weapon has no effect on it. The third steps in after the one who charged Thoril, and delivers a follow up strike.

[roll1]

This time, Thoril simply blocks the blow with the haft of his axe.

After a second, a forth Hobgoblin enters the room, wielding a short-sword in it's right hand and a lit bitumen torch in the other. It moves behind it's fellows, hops onto a table and throws the burning brand behind the bar, catching part of it aflame. The barman shouts in panic.

> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Cress (14, Delayed)
> Warren (5)
> Thoril (2)
> Erida (N/A)
> Hobgoblins
> Hobgoblin

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4536465371_c298980e89_o.png

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-19, 11:15 PM
Thoril attacks the goblin directly in front of him bringing his axe on the beasts head

[roll0]
Earth Shield Strike
[roll1]
Goblin at M10. I get +1 to my AC til next turn

mkfuba07
2010-04-19, 11:46 PM
Here's a chance to fix the damage I did!
Forming his hands in the shape of a ball, Warren expels the heat through his fingers, leaving only a frozen pellet suspended in his hands. Sweat drips from his forehead as he extends his arms forward, unclasps his hands, and launches the pellet towards the fire spreading behind the bar. Upon reaching the dancing flames he detonates it from within, which shatters it into countless pieces, creating a dense cloud of icy mist.

Used Freezing Cloud (Area Burst 2) centered on H14.
If the mist appears to have put out the flame, I dispel the cloud as a minor action.

I wish I'd learned some simpler cold spells. That took a lot out of me...
Let's hope it worked...

mackejn
2010-04-20, 05:54 AM
Cress heads towards the new foes.

Move to K-8.

Brangaene
2010-04-20, 11:53 AM
((Please use if/when I have an action - not really sure where to jump in here, so I will do my best. Again, I am sorry for not being more present!))

Erida shakes the fuzz from her eyes and curses herself for getting too deep into her cups.

She reaches for her rod while striding forward, gritting her teeth at one of the disgusting hobgoblins. Stopping just out of its reach, she utters a few choice words and gestures with her hands in the air. With a crack, she lets a bolt or crimson red energy fly from her hands.... Hoping her aim rings true.

Everything will stay the same, but she will end up in a different square and attack a different gobby. *If I can see that the spell is in effect, I can end at H11 and still make the attack. That can be a GM call. I was just now able to read about the burst and what it means in ref to the squares. But I made my move and if that is how it has to be, I will deal with that, too. :smallsmile:

Init (if needed) [roll0]

Minor move - drawing rod
Movement - Full 6 squares, provided I can step over the dead guy, to K13 (Gaining concealment from shadow walk)
Standard - attacking Goblin in M13 (Eldritch Blast)

Ranged Attack: [roll1] (+4 cha and +1 from Prime Shot if T stays in L10)

Dmg [roll2]

That should do it. I hope.

V for Victory
2010-04-21, 01:58 PM
Arieth moves toward the combat with definite and strong hesitation. Meanwhile his eagle flashes its wings distracting the goblin infront of it, giving Thoril an opportunity to attack the goblin.

Mechanical Breakdown:

#1 Standard: Claws of the Eagle on goblin in M9, Thoril gets the attack against it.

#2 Move: Arieth moves to I11, Arieth's spirit companion flies to L9

Stats:

Spirit Companion Location:L9

Reynard
2010-04-21, 03:02 PM
The Eagle-Spirit rakes the face of the goblin that tried to charge it, distracting it enough for Thoril to get a free shot in. The Hobgoblin doesn't see it coming, what with the Eagle eating it's face, and takes the axe in the stomach. and it colapses to the ground, trying to hold itself in, but just dies clutching the gaping wound.

The Barman shouts to the customers: "Get the women upstairs, don't let 'em leave the Inn! Any men around, grab something and help our friends here, the Red Hand stays dead!"

The girls in the bar quickly follow his orders, while the men are less hasty. the man who fought back with the chair thanks Cress, then moves to defend the stairs, while the young man draws a short sword and does the same, telling his sweetheart that it's going to be fine. The three gamblers take bottles and chairs in hand, unwilling to leave their gold.
The Barman runs and dives over the burning bar, And comes back up with a longsword in hand.

Cress raises his blood-slick greatsword, and advances on the Hobgoblins defensively.

Warrens spell lowers the temperature of the bar noticeably, and once the small fire is extinguished, Warren waves his hand and the cloud vanishes. Luckily, the Barman isn't caught in the freezing spell.

Unlike his first, Thorils second attack misses wildly, his axe getting slightly stuck in the floor.

Erida strides across the room, and the shadows cast by the chairs and tables seem to move and cover her, then a blast of crimson fire bursts from the shadows, sadly failing to hit anything, as the bolt disperses after missing the hobgoblin.

The two remaining Hobgoblin grunts try and take advantage of Thoril's botched attack, but this first is exactly as successful as Thoril was, his sword going too high and getting stuck in a ceiling beam. The second, however, is much more competent and delivers a good solid blow to Thoril's side. Just after it makes it's attack, two more Hobgoblins smash through a window and enter the bar.

Annoyed by the fire being put out, the torch-wielder lights another one and throws it at the same place. Setting the bar on fire, again.

Thoril takes 5 damage from the minion.

> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Cress (14, Delayed)
> Warren (5)
> Thoril (2) 32/37
> Erida (N/A)
> Hobgoblin Grunts
> Hobgoblin

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4541083555_bec83781b7_o.png

mackejn
2010-04-21, 04:21 PM
Cress approaches a hobgoblin and shouts " You will not hurt anyone else. LEAVE!"

Move:
Shift to K-7

Minor:
Use Divine Challenge on the hobgoblin in L-6. Target is marked, if it attacks anyone other than me next turn it takes 3+Cha(1) damage and a -2 to attack rolls.

Standard:
Holy Strike
Str vs AC
Damage: [roll1] Radiant Damage

mkfuba07
2010-04-21, 04:55 PM
"Oh that is it!"
Quickly glancing at the barman, Warren yells, "Barkeep, you have the fire covered? I'll take care of the goblin!"

Turning to face the enemies, he turns down his head, concentrating deeply. He holds his hands in front of him as he did moments before, rotates his hands around a point in the center, and concentrates pure force into a smooth, flawless sphere. He launches it towards the torch-chucking goblin and skids back a few inches as the orb leaves his grasp. Wind rips at his mantle as his eyes trace the ball of pure energy speeding towards the clueless goblin.

Standard: Force Orb against M13
attack - [roll0] vs Reflex
damage - [roll1] force damage

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-22, 09:39 AM
"Thanks for the assistance my friend, and let this next attack make up for my blunder."

Thoril wrenches his axe upwards and attackes the goblin from below.

"This wound is nothing!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Strength of Stone
Standard Melee Str vs AC
1[w]+ Str mod and i gain temp hp equal to Con mod

Brangaene
2010-04-22, 03:37 PM
The tiefling sniffs,

Your blunder? Did you happen to see my miserable attempt? Damn the ale! No matter how good it was!

Angry at herself and her failure to do any harm to the beast, Erida regroups and turns her attention to a new target. She barely moves her hand and whispers in a foreign tongue...

Dreadful Word to M11
Cha v. Will

[roll0]

Psychic Damage
[roll1]
-1 to Will defense until end of my next turn

Star pact gives a Will defense penalty of 5 ( 1 + Int bonus), I'm not sure how that applies.... Does that replace the -1 to Will defense?

V for Victory
2010-04-22, 04:37 PM
Arieth moves toward into the center of the line of goblins while his spirit companion fades into the air with a flap of its wings.. Then, concentrating his spirit energy he surrounds himself with purple shards of spirit energy, then pulls them back slightly for a moment before launching them put of his soul into the goblins surrounding him.

Mechanical Breakdown:

#1 Move: Arieth moves too L9,
#2 Minor: Dismiss Spirit Companion
#3 Standard: Arieth uses Spray of Quills, if I checked correctly then that should hit all of the remaining goblins. It attacks Reflex

Attack on M10:
Attack on M11:[roll]1d20+5
Attack on M13:1d20+5

If it hits then they also take ongoing 5
poison damage (save ends). Until this ongoing damage ends and allies gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target.

Stats:

Spirit Companion Location:Dismissed

V for Victory
2010-04-22, 06:05 PM
Other two attack rolls

Attack on M11:[roll0]
Attack on M13:[roll1]

Reynard
2010-04-23, 03:46 AM
The Spirit-Eagle winks out of existence mere seconds before the air is filled with dozens of deadly quills. The Hobgoblin nearest Arieth just barely manages to get his shield up in time, but the one that managed to hit Thoril isn't as quick on the draw, and takes more than his fair share. The Hobgoblin on the table manages to take cover behind the Hobgoblin that got nailed, avoiding all of the quills. The window is destroyed by the force of the attack.

The barman quickly rushes to stamp out the fire, while the other patrons stay where they are.

Another Hobgoblin falls to Cress's blade, smitten by the holy energies.

Warrens ball of force slams into the goblin on the table, exploding in a hail of shards that leave small craters in the table, ceiling, floor and walls. The Hobgoblin is still standing, but looks much worse for wear.

Thoril yanks his axe out of the ground a bit too hard, and the momentum drives it into the same ceiling beam the Hobgoblns sward is stuck in.

As the Hobgoblin Erida had been planning on go for next was killed by Arieth, she decides to go for the one on the table instead, as he somehow managed to survive Warrens attack. He clutches at his ears in pain and falls to his knees, but somehow manages to stand back up. He's in really bad shape.

The Hobgoblin to the north of most of the fighting charges on of the young men guarding the stairs, but swings wide and hits the wall instead, and in return gets a short sword through the chest. The other one frees his blade from the tyranny of ceiling beams, and slashes at Thoril, raking him across the chest. Yet another Hobgoblin arrives, this time through the back door, and attacks the same human that the other one charged and missed. And completely fails to hit him, his sword knocked back by the young man's short sword.

The battered and beaten Hobgoblin on the table is out of torches, and turns to flee the bar, jumping out of the shattered window and running for his life. Mere moments after he leaves, another torch-wielding hobgoblin arrives via the back door, and throws his torch at the tables against the north wall.

Thoril takes another 5 damage. I re-directed Eridas attack to the stronger Hobgob when her target died, I hope you don't mind Bran.

> Arieth (19)
> Patrons/Staff (16)
> Cress (14)
> Warren (5)
> Thoril (2) 27/37
> Erida (N/A)
> Hobgoblin Grunts
> Hobgoblin Torch-Thrower

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4545483746_bd1d9d1264_o.png

Brangaene
2010-04-23, 08:25 AM
Shock covers Erida's face when she sees the recipient of one of her more powerful psychic attacs decide to stand up and run... Obviously frustrated, she quickly assesses her situation. Knowing that Arieth and Thoril will easily handle the hobgoblin closest to them, she turns and runs toward the civilians and the stairs.

Growling,

If you are all not dead at the end of this, you are going to answer some questions for me....

Again, with anger and annoyance, she throws her hands in the air, in a much grander manner than her earlier whisper. A crackling orb of bright magic begins in her hand and moves to her target.

Movement - to G8 Regaining concealment
Minor - foul muttering to herself and cursing of hobgoblins everywhere. :smallsmile:
Standard - Casting Dread Star at D3

Cha v. Will

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]
Radiant Dmg
Immobilized until end of my next turn.
Target gets -2 penalty to Will Defense (save ends)

mackejn
2010-04-23, 10:49 AM
Cress moves swiftly to cut off the other hobgoblins.

Move to G-5.
Charge Hobgoblin at D-5 using Ardent Strike
Str vs AC
Damage: [roll1]
Target is marked by divine sanction if it hits until next turn.

mkfuba07
2010-04-23, 01:38 PM
Frustrated by the escape of his target, and wanting to stem the flow of goblins into the bar, Warren turns his attention to the new torch-chucker.
Moving between the men flanking the stairs, he extends his will towards this new threat. Spectral blades of arcane force fill the air around him, attempting to shred everything in their reach.

Move: D7
Standard:
Cloud of Daggers at D3
attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex
damage: [roll1] force damage
Effect: A zone is created in the target square,
and deals 4 force damage to any enemy that
enters the square or begins its turn in the square.

That should stop any more weaklings from getting through.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-23, 03:18 PM
"By the divines! Why do you curse me so! No beard and my axe fails me!

Attack on goblin at M-9
[roll0]
Strength of Stone
[roll1]
Standard Melee Str vs AC
1[w]+ Str mod and i gain temp hp equal to Con mod

V for Victory
2010-04-23, 04:04 PM
Arieth takes a moment, holding his hand infront of his body in the shape of a claw, to summon his eagle companion to block the goblin infront of the hallway. Then the eagle attacks the goblin in front of it with its claws made of spirit energy. Finally, Areith makes a smooth sidestep.

Mechanical Breakdown:

#1 Minor: Call Spirit Companion into square C3
#2 Standard: Watcher’s Strike on the goblin in D3, it attacks reflex

Attack :[roll0]

#3 Move: Shift Areith to square L8

Stats:

Spirit Companion Location:C3

Reynard
2010-04-23, 05:53 PM
The Spirit-Eagle appears behind to goblin, and tries to take advantage of that, but the creature is fast enough to react in time.

The other bar patrons move to block the staircase off from the hobgoblins. One of the two young men who had taken up the role of sentinels makes short work of the Hobgoblin attacking them, and the other moves to help him deal with the other one, but they both hang back for now.

Intending to assist the humans guarding the stairs, Cress charges across the room, but his target is slain before he can reach it, so he switches focus onto the torch-throwing one, who's so busy with the bird he doesn't notice the Paladin, and takes the sword in the back.

Next thing he knows, the air around him is filled with swirling blades, slashing at his flesh, he is unable to avoid this attack.

Thoril is still having problems with his axe and accomplishes little.

For the poor Hobgoblin blocking the hallway to the back door, the pain isn't over yet. As he tries to overcome the in the pain, a small red light appears in front of his face, then starts whirling around him, searing him with beams of light. This is far too much for him to handle, and he falls down dead, his body slowly being chipped away by the spinning daggers.

Taking advantage of Thorils troubles with his axe, the last hobgoblin jumps backwards, then flees the tavern.

VICTORY IS YOURS.

V for Victory
2010-04-23, 07:17 PM
Arieth walks over too Anne and attempt to make sure that she is alright before helping the rest of the injured patrons and barstaff. He makes strong eye contact before raising her hand too his lips, smiling slightly afterwards

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-23, 08:09 PM
Thoril finally wrenches his axe free and looks around the bar. Seeing that everything inside is under control he puts his axe away and walks outside to mope.

While he moves out of the tavern he glances up at the stars. Thoril thinks to himself"If I fell up into the sky, would I hurt the pretty stars?" Unsure of the answer he chooses to stay close to the buildings so he can grab on should he fall, lest a star be hurt.

Reynard
2010-04-23, 08:30 PM
As the men in the bar start a bucket brigade to put out the fire, the girls come downstairs. While the innkeepers daughter start to clean up, the other two ladies go to their prospective men in tears, shocked at the corpses of the hobgoblins. The boy with the sweetheart managed to take down two of them, almost as many as the proper adventurers.

Anne stops to speak to Arieth.
"I'm fine, thank you. Your axe-wielding friend bared the brunt of it."

"You all saved my Inn, and for that I thank you. You can stay here for free for as long as you're in the city."

"Except you three, I thank you for nothing" the Barman glares at the three gamblers "Get out of my Inn, and leave the gold behind." He raises his longsword. "Leave."

The gamblers are hesitant to leave, but when the two young men back up the barkeep, they quickly make their exit.

Being outside, Thoril is the first to spot the Brindol Guardsmen marching down the streets with their swords drawn.

((By the way, this little interlude counts as a short rest. You all get your encounter powers back, and can spend healing surges to get up to full health.))

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-23, 09:07 PM
(I wish to spend a surge to bump Thoril up to 36 health)

Thoril sees the guards and steps in their paths.

"Fellow brothers in arm! Where are you going this fine evening? I seem to be having a streak of bad luck but perhaps I can assist you in your endeavor!

mkfuba07
2010-04-23, 11:56 PM
Warren releases his hold on the energies surrounding the entrance to the hallway, and the daggers dissipate. Having spent his greatest cold reserves, he is only able to watch as the other men in the bar quench the flames. Once it is small enough, he uses his powers of prestidigitation to quell the miniature infern

Walking over to the barman, he says, with his head inclined, "Um... I'm sorry about any damage I caused. I wanted to help, but wizards aren't exactly known for their subtlety. Once I realized the harm I was doing, I tried to make up for it. I hope there aren't any hard feelings. He lifts his head and looks into the barman's eyes, smiling awkwardly.

V for Victory
2010-04-24, 06:10 AM
Laughing, Areith just smiles at Anne.

Reynard
2010-04-24, 05:13 PM
The soldiers approach Thoril, and take note of the damaged inn. As they get closer, you can see that some of them are clearly wounded. Their sergeant sheathes his sword and holds out a hand.

"Hobgoblins are running through the city, burning and killing and kidnapping. But it looks like you already found out about that. Anyone seriously hurt or taken?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Don't worry lad, you did less damage then would have been done if you hadn't been here. I dread to think about what would have happened if you and your friends weren't here."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anne looks at Areith sideways for a second, then returns to trying to tidy up the inn.

mkfuba07
2010-04-24, 10:01 PM
Warren smiles as if nothing as happened, relieved.
Well then, I'm glad I could help! My name's Warren. That's W-a-r-r-e-n. Two 'r's. Last name's Cliffton. What can I call you?

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-25, 09:51 PM
Thoril takes the sergeants hand and speaks, No sir, they tried but my friends thwarted them. The inn is rather somewhat damaged however. What assistance can i give? I am quite certain I can extend that offer from my companions as well."

mackejn
2010-04-26, 08:40 AM
Cress wanders over to Thoril and the sergeant. "As Thoril said, we would be most glad to assist you. We have a...variety of skills as you can see. I do not want to see anyone hurt by these hobgoblins if I may stop it."

Brangaene
2010-04-26, 09:26 AM
Erida surveys the damage, picking up chairs and such as she walks through the wreckage. Thanking the barman for his offer of free rooms, she lets him know that she is more than willing to help out with any repairs he needs.

She sighs deeply, a little miffed that she wasn't able to get some information out of these abominations, but thankful there were not more casualties.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spies the young maiden. She looks as though she was kept safe during the scuffle. Making her way toward her, she softens her demeanor as best she can after such a brawl and speaks to the young woman,

Where did they come from, and why do you think they chose to follow you here? I know you are shaken, and I'm sorry to have to upset you any further, but any information you can give us would be welcomed.

V for Victory
2010-04-26, 11:42 AM
Arieth helps Anne clean up the bar after the ruccus

Reynard
2010-04-27, 02:24 PM
"Well met, Warren. You and your friends can call me Kaleb."

–––––––––––––

"Thanks for the offer, mates. If I'm honest, we need to get patched up, and we've got some walking wounded that could use a safe place to rest. Is that barman around?"

–––––––––––––

((Anne is the barman's daughter, Bran. You don't know the girls name))

The young girl has, with the aid of her sweetheart, managed to control herself.

"Ma'am, I don't know when they started following. I heard 'em knock something over in the dark, an' I ran, I didn't look back. Sorry ma'am."

With that, she wraps her arms around her boy, who, having cleaned the blade, puts his short sword away, then puts an arm around her.

"Do you think I should take 'er home, ma'am?" he asks. "Or would it be safer to stay here?"

–––––––––––––

As Anne and Aerith work together and pile the corpses outside, Anne asks something.
"Thanks, Aerith. Why are you being so helpful? You don't have to.

mkfuba07
2010-04-27, 03:13 PM
Nice to meet you, Kaleb. If there's anything you'd like me to help with, feel free to ask.
Warren looks around the bar, and his eyes fall on the pile of gold.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you intend to do with that mound of coins? There's probably enough there for you to repair most of the tavern, if you wanted. If those men had actually stood and fought, perhaps it would not have come to such great harm.

Reynard
2010-04-27, 03:59 PM
"There's barely 30gp here" he says, counting it. "Might be enough for the glass windows, or for repairing the doors, floor, bar, and the tables and chairs. But not everything." He sighs. "I wish I could pay you back beyond giving you free bed and board, but I really can't. I'm sorry."

V for Victory
2010-04-27, 04:08 PM
Arieth just smiles at Anne and continues to help

mkfuba07
2010-04-27, 04:18 PM
"There's really no need to be sorry. You've been through much hardship today. I'll leave you alone for now, so you can take care of any pressing issues that you may have. I know next to nothing about running a business or owning property, so I imagine there are matters you must attend to that I have no knowledge of."

Looking out the window, he noticed Thoril speaking with some bloodied guards, and found himself immediately interested.

"I'm gonna see what's going on out front. Things may not yet be over."

mackejn
2010-04-28, 08:58 AM
Cress glances back towards the bar. "I believe he's around here somewhere. Last I saw, he was attempting to put out a fire during the fight."

Brangaene
2010-04-28, 09:16 AM
I am not sure that leaving would be the smartest thing to do. We did have one escape. There's no telling if he went to get reinforcements - and I am sure that's not something you want to run into on your trip. Especially not just the two of you.

She shakes her head,

No, I think it would be wise for you both to stay put.

Reynard
2010-04-28, 05:28 PM
"Good. Okay, men," He says to his soldiers, "Get the wounded in there, have 'em rest up, tell Kaleb we'll pay him double for it, once this crap's over."

"I'm glad you managed to keep anybody from getting hurt. If you want, you're more than welcome to accompany us when we start up our patrol again, after making sure the wounded are okay. Let's get inside."

–––––––––––––

"Yes ma'am."

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-28, 06:20 PM
"Aye, we would be glad to help!", Thoril says with a smile. He follows the guards back into the tavern, glancing around to see if other would be friends or foes are around. In his mind he wonders if this is something bigger than just a few goblins going berserk, but shrugs the thought off without giving it much attention. Monsters act stupid and bite off more than they can handle on a regular basis; surely there is no need for alarm.

(In case this is necessary for anything)
[roll0]
perception check

V for Victory
2010-04-28, 06:35 PM
Areith waves goodbye to Anne and walks over to Thoril.

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-28, 06:56 PM
"Hello lad, it seems the fighting my not be over just yet. This fine warriors need our help."

Brangaene
2010-04-29, 07:49 AM
Erida watches the patrol enter the bar with Thoril. She rolls her eyes and mutters under her breath, On time as usual..

A bit louder she asks, Help? With what? More of these beasts?

Reynard
2010-04-29, 01:48 PM
"Sadly, lass, you're right. Hobgoblins are running through Brindol, trying to kill people and screaming about the Red Hand an' someone called Sinruth. You folks happen to know much about the Hand?"

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-29, 05:15 PM
Thoril muses "The hand? Well I have two... Does he mean the more dominate one?"

Reynard
2010-04-29, 08:50 PM
"No. The Red Hand was an army o' Hobgoblins, way back in the history of the Vale. My father fought 'gainst them th' first time around, and he was but a young lad then."

"Back then, things were bad. 'Course, old men have the habit of exaggerating, but I've seen th' records. Th' Vale's only just now recovered, and even now, nearly half a hundred years later, there are still abandoned towns here an' there."

"Somehow, someone managed to get all th' tribes ta stop killin' each other, and got 'em working together instead. Brindol sent mercenaries to deal with 'im, but they vanished pretty quickly from sight. So, this big army o' gobbos is getting nearer an' nearer each day, when suddenly the whole lot of 'em go back ta killin' each other."

"The adventurer's reappear at this point, claimin' it was their plan all along, sayin' they killed th' guy leading th' gobbos, takin' all the fame an' glory an' such."

mkfuba07
2010-04-29, 08:53 PM
Warren chuckles a little, assuming that Thoril is joking.
Surely, everyone in the area knows of the Hand.
History: [roll0]
I tell all of the information I know of the Hand to my companions.

Edit: Oops, was typing my response when you posted XD

Reynard
2010-04-30, 10:04 AM
((Ok, everyone read the Red Hand section in the OOC thread, first page. Treat it as IC knowledge now.))

"Eyup, that's about all of it. 'Course, it should 'ave meant the Hand was long gone, weren't coming back. Now, there are these buggers-" He gestures to the pile of hobgoblins outside the inn "screaming and yelling about being part o' it."

As you've been talking, the sounds outside have changed from relative silence with the occasional scream, to what sounds like a mass panic, underscored with deep, rhythmic, thumps.

"What in th' hells is happenin' now?"

V for Victory
2010-04-30, 11:27 AM
Arieth takes off, running directly to the sound of the screaming. While running he summons his spirit companion far infront of him.

mackejn
2010-04-30, 11:55 AM
Cress takes off after Aerith after drawing his sword. "That can't be good."

ImmortalLiam
2010-04-30, 05:37 PM
Thoril draws his axe and speaks to the guard "If you need me to return, just yell my name. I cannot let them venture off alone. How knows what they might encounter, given how this situation is developing"

He heads out, following within sight of Cress.

mkfuba07
2010-05-01, 06:04 PM
Warren runs to the doorway and, stepping just outside the door, scans the area for enemies. He concentrates for a moment, and his orb springs to life, giving off a glow that lights the surrounding area.
Used light on his orb (if I can. I know that we've entered initiative (I think...))
Stepped right outside the door, looking around.