PDA

View Full Version : [Base Creature Type] Not flesh, nor fowl...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-15, 09:07 PM
I've created a number of races that I never could figure out a type for. They were not humanoid at all, even enough to be monstrous yet were completely natural and not aberrations, nor were magical.

So here is my solution.

Note: As they are in no way humanoid they are not furries, so don't get hot and heavy here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mortal Type

The mortal is a being that has gained sentience as humanoids, but possess absolutely no ties or relations with them. They may have animalistic bodies, multiple legs, or no head, but they are intelligent and just as natural as any other creature, simply having grown along alternate evolutionary lines. Just as man may be an advanced ape, so is a mortal an advancement of their primitive equivalent. As such, like man, they are vaguely similar to an animalist ancestor, but they are different and highly more evolved.
The type is not inherently supernatural such as magical beasts, nor aberrant of origin. Mortal types normally range between tiny and large. They have developed societies of their own, as well as languages, though the latter may be anything from common speech to the rubbing of legs together or the production of complex scents.
All mortal creatures have a subtype that distinguishes them
Mortals with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their mortal hit die for the class features of a PC or NPC class. Mortals of this sort are presented as 1st-level warriors, which means that they have average combat ability and poor saving throws.
Mortals with more than 1 Hit Die are the only mortals who make use of the features of the mortal type.

Features: A mortal has the following features (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
- 8-sided Hit Dice, or by character class.
- Base attack bonus equal to 3/4th total Hit Dice (as cleric).
- Good Reflex saves (usually; a mortal’s good save varies).
- Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, or by character class.

Traits: A mortal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- Low-light vision.
- Proficient with all simple weapons. Each type of mortal may have additional weapons that they consider simple. Most mortals have some kind of natural weapon.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, or by character class. If a mortal does not have a class and wears armor, it is proficient with that type of armor and all lighter types. Mortals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Mortals are not proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor, but must also have it mentioned.
- Mortals breathe, eat, and sleep.

Additional Subtypes

Arthropodian
These creatures are usually possessed of an exoskeleton, though may also possess an internal. They tend to have more than 4 limbs, segmented or multiple eyes and antennae, feelers or both.

Annelidan
These creatures are usually limbless and eyeless, and elongated, with great flexibility. They tend to breathe through their skins instead of lungs and many possess the ability to burrow.
Traits
- Blindsense 30 ft.

Avian
These creatures are usually feathered and possessed of a beak and wings, though the latter may be non-functional. These are the closest to humanoid a Mortal normally comes to, having all the standard parts, and bipedal besides.

Ichthyian
These creatures possess scales and fins and normally have gills for breathing in water. Many though have lungs as well, living an amphibious lifestyle, though all ichthyians can swim and have the aquatic subtype as well.

Mammalian
These creatures may possess fur, plates, or thickened skin, some even blubberous and aquatic, but most are warm blooded and give live birth. Mammalian could possibly be further changed to Ursine, Canine, Felinoid, Bovine or similar, but for the purpose of this subtype covers all non man-like mammals. Ape-like mammals are always Humanoids, not Mortals.

Mollusca
These creatures tend to be slow and soft bodied, secreting ooze to keep themselves moisturized. Many grow shells or construct one for their use.

Reptilian
As standard.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-16, 09:08 AM
So this is a replacement for the odd use of Monstrous Humanoid and Aberration for things like Itxatl [whatever those stingray things are called] and those millipede people?

I can dig that, i suppose. Kinda makes more sense to use this for herbivores and non-aggressive creatures...i can't imagine Thri-Kreen not being Monstrous Humanoids some how

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-16, 09:23 AM
So this is a replacement for the odd use of Monstrous Humanoid and Aberration for things like Itxatl [whatever those stingray things are called] and those millipede people?
Precisely.

My Glöi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115814) race were the final deciding factor that these needed made.

I can dig that, i suppose. Kinda makes more sense to use this for herbivores and non-aggressive creatures...i can't imagine Thri-Kreen not being Monstrous Humanoids some how
Why herbivores and non-aggressive?

As for thri-kreen, they are still roughly humanoid, standing on two legs, etc. However, then again, they take a penalty to charisma because they think and act like insects.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-16, 10:18 AM
It seems odd that an innately aggressive creature wouldn't be dangerous [read: high BAB] for their hit points, a problem i've always had with things like the Undead type.

Hence the supposition that this suits non-aggressive creatures better than the MH/MB choice of previous examples, which in general, have no business being such as they're not terribly aggressive

Thri-Kreen are supposed to be violently predatory: I just don't think that a 3/4 base attack bonus really suits a bred killer...A species that's more than capable of ripping off an Athasian mutant-human's head and eating their insides doesn't strike me as a 3/4 BAB kinda guy, you know?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-16, 10:27 AM
It seems odd that an innately aggressive creature wouldn't be dangerous [read: high BAB] for their hit points, a problem i've always had with things like the Undead type.

Hence the supposition that this suits non-aggressive creatures better than the MH/MB choice of previous examples, which in general, have no business being such as they're not terribly aggressive

Thri-Kreen are supposed to be violently predatory: I just don't think that a 3/4 base attack bonus really suits a bred killer...A species that's more than capable of ripping off an Athasian mutant-human's head and eating their insides doesn't strike me as a 3/4 BAB kinda guy, you know?
Humans are only 3/4ths BAB and there is little on this planet that approaches our predatory violence. In fact, no animal has more than 3/4ths BAB. It's not exactly low either, just one step from the best.

I don't see why Monstrous Humanoids should have full BAB myself.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-16, 10:55 AM
Your statement would be more accurate if humans ever used racial hit dice [unless you're how i used to be and use them instead of commoner levels, seriously, you'd think people who raise barns for fun would have more hp than accountants].

Humans go straight into classes, meaning it's their career that dictates how deadly they are, while Thri-Kreen are nasty predators from the moment they reach maturity.

I guess it more boils down to whether you feel that some races should have a minimum amount of deadly going on before they choose classes. I personally dislike that some creatures end up with far more HD than their concept needs for the sake of hp at a given CR so the high BAB races are useful in that stripe.

This is mostly academic as most of these creatures are likely to be races anyway...thus they won't ever deal with their racial HD.

SlaadLord
2010-04-19, 10:09 AM
I will be using this from here on out...I have some changes to make to some creatures, I think. Excellent work, sir.

The Tygre
2010-04-19, 12:29 PM
So are humans and the other core races mortal as well?