PDA

View Full Version : Daystor (Nine Hells) IC

Pages : [1] 2

MikelaC1
2010-04-16, 08:09 AM
You have all found your ways, by various means and modes, to a meeting in the boardroom of Amazon Enterprises. After winding your way through an office tower, you have finally arrived at your destination. You stand in an office room, unlike any other you have been in. The walls of the room are solid oak, with no windows, making you feel like you are inside of a tree. The room is well-lit, however you see no sources of light, the effect must be magic in nature. There are several couches and chairs placed at various locations in the room, all pointing towards a large oak and marble desk.
At the moment, there are two other people in the room, both of them elven women. Both of them are exquisite beauties; the one seated off to the side (consulting a crystal ball) even moreso. But it is the woman behind the desk who commands your attention, as she speaks....
Greetings to you, my name is Natasha Sanitar. You all have a vague idea of why you are here, so I will get right to the point. Several days ago, a party of fiends, devils to be exact, managed to breach my defenses and stole a family heirloom necklace from my rooms. The value of the necklace in terms of its gems was high enough, its value as a family heirloom makes it even more. Normally, I would just plane shift down to the Hells, find the devils responsible and turn them into so much dust, but my associate Zanthia and she gestures to the elf gazing into the crystal ball believes it to be more than a simple robbery. She cannot be more specific than that, but I have learned to trust her instincts. They are seldom wrong. So, after a bit more research, your names came to me. Some of you were selected for your unique understanding of old artifacts and she looks at Martin and some were chosen for their ability to bash heads as she looks at Sir Armand.
All of you have your own special talents, and all of them will be needed, if Zanthia’s predictions hold any weight. I have narrowed down the location of the necklace, it is in the Hells, further than that, I cannot say. I would like you to “go to hell” as it were, and retrieve the necklace for me. If nothing more comes of that, you will be compensated, have my thanks, and proceed with your life as you wish. If however, there is something more, then I would hope that you will stick with this quest. Either way, I offer you 5000 gold each for getting the necklace back. Are you interested?

(OOC: Feel free to describe yourselves and introduce yourselves to the others, with any information you feel appropriate or relevant. Feel free to ask Natasha anything you wish)

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-16, 08:39 AM
Armand leaned back against the wall of the room near the door, folding his thick arms across his chest. The half-orc was handsome for his race, most of his orcish features subdued, save for a flat nose and a prominent, forward chin. In his rush to get dressed for this abrupt summons, his hair had been left loose and he proceeded to tie the long black wave of hair into a ponytail as Natasha spoke, listening with interest.

“So…just to be sure I know what’s being said here,” he said thoughtfully, “a beautiful woman is asking me to go to hell (not the first time), kill a bunch of devils, get a shiny trinket back for her, and then come back to be covered in gold and jewels and such rewards as that?” He paused for a moment and then shrugged. “When do we leave, how do we get there, and how do we get back?

Lorolar
2010-04-16, 11:01 AM
Llian sighed quietly, the messenger had spoken the name of his target and apparantly this woman was to lead him to him. Despite so many failed instances he couldnt supress that little twinge of hope that this was the lead he required. Yet now that he had gotten here, walking through walls and rooms that mocked him with the familarity of their architecture, he discovered the woman wanted nothing more than some family trinket. The pay would be most acceptable though, enough gold to keep himself going for some time, or to hire seekers to find out more should this lead prove an entirely false one. He dearly hoped it would not.

The pay would have been more than enough, had their destination been anywhere else. He had fought devils before, a dozen cults had been left rotting and burned, skewered by arrows, but hell itself... That was an entirely different kettle of fish. An expedition he had thought of before but never dared make, that way folly lay. Unless this band of people, perhaps here for reasons such as he, save of course the fool of a lecher who had just marked himself an idiot, then they could even be tolerable companions for the road.

Still, there were two things he need to know first."These devils you spoke of, what did they look like. Recognising what they are should tell us just how deep we're getting into here, I may recognise the descriptions. Secondly, how deep into hell were you intending, its a large place."

Tyrael
2010-04-16, 12:59 PM
Hi, Zanthia! :smallbiggrin: *waves*

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8003/guyy.jpg
Professor Martin Telford folds his hands quietly, having already availed himself of one of the chairs. The man is fairly old, his hair mostly turned to the shining silver of age. He is neatly and impeccably dressed, with a long gray coat covering a brown vest and kerchief. A heavily beat-up and often-patched canvas bag hangs at his right hip, offset by an icy-blue whip coiled at his left hip that rests just alongside an ordinary-looking rapier.

The old man purses his lips doubtfully. "Something seems amiss, Ms. Sanitar," he says slowly. "You are speaking of the Hells, the cosmological location to which condemned souls are banished, yes? The monetary reward seems disproportionate to the scale of the task given to us. Strictly theologically speaking, is travel to the Hells itself even possible? Moreover, from what I know of them, the Hells are a realm of reality that is directly shaped by the wills of its servants, the demons and devils, not to mention the archdaemons. How are mortals expected to succeed in a physical task when the entire shape of reality can be changed to kill them in an instant, or indeed to obliterate the object of our quest altogether?

I am old, Ms. Sanitar. The monetary reward holds no interest for me as a tenured professor of magical archaeology, and if the necklace is simply to return directly to you, I fear my chance to study it will be limited."

He raises a calming hand. "Please understand that I am neither acquiescing nor denying your request. I am simply raising questions that I feel are of legitimate concern for this nature of task."

Savannah
2010-04-16, 01:52 PM
Kiera, an average-looking human woman dressed entirely in black, sits in a chair carefully chosen so that she can see everyone in the room as well as the door. She frowns as Natasha speaks, then says quietly:

"Perhaps you were misinformed about me. I have no interest in retrieving your pretty bauble, nor in the reward, and I see no immediate threat from the devils. Why should I go to the Hells and abandon those I protect here? What is this 'something more' you fear?"

Tyrael
2010-04-16, 02:13 PM
Martin inclines his head towards Kiera. "The young lady makes a fair point. Mere mercenary greed, I fear, is a rather scanty motivation for a task of this magnitude."

Lorolar
2010-04-16, 02:22 PM
Llian coughs, ensuring he has Martin's attention before brushing back his hair to reveal his haunted face. Black bags under his eyes and premature lines mar its simple elven beauty, he looks like a man walking the edge of exhaustion.

"Mabye not all of us are here for the money. We may all have our reasons. You not knowing does not disprove them. Though I wonder, why are you all here if you were to turn the lady down, did you not know why you were summoned?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-16, 02:26 PM
"I was actually rather busy when I was summoned and I didn't even have time to leave her a note," Armand said with a bit of a smirk. "I'm probably not going to be worshipping at that altar again for a while thanks to this."

So far, so good. Let everyone else ask the questions that need to be answered. More going on or not, a group of powerful warriors and magic-users in hell are going to cause some serious damage to some blatantly evil creatures one way or another.

The money was not an issue, of course. Whether she’d offered 500, 5000, or 50,000 gold, Armand would have taken the offer. He’d fought devils before and while evil was evil, there was something far more sickening to him about the supposedly ordered inhabitants of Hell and he took especial pleasure in mangling their plans. Something sinister afoot and a chance to bring a nightmare down on the doorstep of some his most hated enemies? Feh. The necklace, the cash, and even the chance to impress particularly beautiful women (even if they were elven) were irrelevant when it came to the possibility of hurling a wrench, or in his case, a big sharp object, into the works of Hell.

Let those with minds for it handle the questions. He simply wanted a chance to…as the astoundingly attractive lady had put it… “crack heads”. Armand shifted his weight slightly, the light chain of his mithral armor jingling slightly as he did so. It was the work of a moment to don such light armor and the expanse of fine mithral usually served as a more than capable suit of formal wear on most occasions, especially when one had to dress to impress.

He tilted his head to eye the less attractive woman…the one who had entered with the rest of them. Not pretty, no, but clearly a strong one. He wondered, idly, if she too was here to crack heads or if she was the researcher type. No doubt she was skilled in some way, considering her presence here in this cavalcade of the violent and the educated. Her question was, perhaps, the most interesting one. The slim elven man’s had been relevant, but not necessarily one that Armand worried about. The older fellow had asked questions that were obviously concerns, but as far as Armand was concerned, muscle and faith would see him through (hadn’t the always before?). But that last question…the deeper issues…that one, Armand perked up for, leaning in slightly to listen for the answer.

Tyrael
2010-04-16, 02:34 PM
Llian coughs, ensuring he has Martin's attention before brushing back his hair to reveal his haunted face. Black bags under his eyes and premature lines mar its simple elven beauty, he looks like a man walking the edge of exhaustion.

"Mabye not all of us are here for the money. We may all have our reasons. You not knowing does not disprove them. Though I wonder, why are you all here if you were to turn the lady down, did you not know why you were summoned?"

The old man gives a kindly smile. "Haven't the foggiest," he says cheerfully. "If you can enlighten me, please do!"

Savannah
2010-04-16, 02:35 PM
"I was asked to come, without really being told why, by an old...associate. Tell me, elf, if you are so intent on this, what is your reason?"

(Directed at Llian.)

Lorolar
2010-04-16, 02:39 PM
"I seek to put right a wrong done to those I care about. This is simply the next most likely place that my path has lead me to. You honestly seek to tell me you had no further reason for being here than an invitation? Word of your skills must spread far for our host to track you down."

The last part is said in deadpan monotone, his face is impassive, almost held taught. As if he is restraining emotion alogether.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-16, 02:49 PM
"But I just got here a few days ago!" Armand said in protest, his smirk growing. "I've hardly had enough nights to show off and I've spent essentially all of them at the temple. Rumor travels fast here, doesn't it?"

sacreddeamon
2010-04-16, 04:50 PM
"I've got my own reason for goin' on down, and money isn't it."

Thokk lounges, idle on one of the chairs. He is bald, with a sparse white beard that looks like it was recently, and haggardly, shaved. A scar runs down left eye and innumerable other scars run the length of his body.

He picks himself up and gives Martin a hard stare

"Professor, if you don't want to be here, maybe your contact mislead you. All I know is my Goddess has told me that I am needed, and I am not one to back down."

Thokk grins maniacally

" 'Specially when I would pay for an opportunity like this"

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-16, 06:13 PM
" 'Specially when I would pay for an opportunity like this"

"You're my new favorite dwarf."

senrath
2010-04-16, 06:20 PM
Suddenly, the rather round halfling sitting in the corner cleared his throat before shifting slightly in his seat. "To answer your question about whether travel to the Hells is possible, Professor, it is indeed possible. I know of at least one location where the Hells directly intersect and overlap with our own plane. Although you are correct about any fighting within the Hells being an uphill battle."

MikelaC1
2010-04-16, 09:01 PM
NATASHA

You all raise very valid points, so let me go over some of them. First of all Llian asked what type of fiends they were and how far down you had to go. I cant answer the first one, but I know that they were devils because the necklace is now located on the first plane of Hell.
Now, Martin, in answer to your questions, yes it is quite possible to travel to Hell, they are a different plane of existance but they can be travelled to. Or rather, the first plane can be reached by plane shift magic. How you get down farther than that is not something Im familiar with, but for now, the necklace is on the first. And while the devils can change the Hells if they really, really work at it, they cant be changed on a whim at a moments notice.

At this point, Zanthia looks up, and directs her remarks to Kiera.

It is not Natasha that sees the greater threat, but me. And those with very strong clerical connections. The deities are unsure of something, and for some reason, the necklace ended up near to something they are upset about. Whether it was lucky co-incidence or part of the same plan, I cannot say. The dwarf here, Thokk, was quested with this task by his deity. That alone speaks volumes.

Natasha takes over at this point.

I understand your retience to get involved with something that seems so trivial, so unconnected to your own problems in life. If I were in your place, I would probably feel the same way too. I will offer you an even better deal. If you go, and find only the necklace and nothing more, I will offer you help with whatever problems in your life I can help with. My resources are not infinite, but they are a lot greater than most people can muster. But if there is something else, then I would like to work with you to solve them.

Zanthia makes a last plea to Kiera

I know I cant offer you the proof you want, not right now at least. But we picked you because youre good at what you do. Nows the chance to put your skills to use in some higher cause.

Savannah
2010-04-16, 11:42 PM
Kiera looks at Llian for a moment and opens her mouth as if to say something, but closes it without a word.

She turns towards Natasha and Zanthia, and nods slightly at their explanation. "What exactly is this necklace - this family heirloom? Why would anyone cross planes in order to steal it? The fact that it then ended up near whatever this problem is can't be mere coincidence."

MikelaC1
2010-04-17, 03:58 PM
NATASHA

Why would someone steal it? Well, to start with, if you plucked the gems out of it, they could probably be sold for over 100K in gold alone. Then, it was also a double power circlet of persuasion, along with several other enhancements, mostly mental in nature. Add in the fact it was presented to my family personally by the Queen of Crystalia, which makes the loss of it that much more galling.
And why did it end up near the source of the problems? I cant answer that specifically, it could have been mere chance. If it wasnt chance, then I would guess along the following lines. Whoever wants it either wants it for the monetary value to finance their operation or if they are out to cause trouble on an even larger scale, the persuasive power it grants would be very beneficial, along with the increased mental power it grants. Along with driving a wedge between the Queen and myself.

senrath
2010-04-17, 04:03 PM
"Based on what I know of devils, it most likely was stolen for the magical aspects, rather than the monetary aspects. Of course, another possibility is that it was stolen to use as a component in some potent spell." Olffder said, fiddling with the hem of his cloak. "Unless anyone has other questions that absolutely need answering, we should probably get moving soon. The more time we waste, the more time the devils have to prepare for our arrival."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-17, 04:59 PM
Thokk eyes Armand, then walks over and extends a hand

If you're for killin' fiends, I think we'll get along just fine.

Savannah
2010-04-17, 05:40 PM
Kiera sighs. "Very well. Something like that in the hands of monsters could do a lot of harm." She turns towards Olffder and asks, "How do you prepose we reach the Hells?"

senrath
2010-04-17, 05:42 PM
"A simple Plane Shift spell would suffice, and I have a feeling that our Hostess is more than capable of casting such a spell to send us on our way. Getting back may prove to be a bit more problematic, though, unless one of our number can also cast Plane Shift." Olffder said, still fiddling with his cloak.

nolispe
2010-04-17, 08:58 PM
Zanis has been standing silently by the wall. eyes closed.
"Why would we need to get back? However, if that becomes nessasary, I am sure our host here has thought of that, hmm? Also, has your asossiate... Zanthia, I belive it was, been able to locate this trinket any more precisely? Finally, I would like you to be candid with us, Ms. Sanitar. How did you gain infomation about us, and very specific infomation at that? You appear to know that we all have personal reasons for wanting to vist the hells. Why do you want us to vist the hells, and how did you learn about us?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-17, 10:57 PM
If you're for killin' fiends, I think we'll get along just fine.

"I think you're not half-wrong."

The half-orc clasps the dwarf's hand in his own, giving it a powerful squeeze.

"The name is Armand d'Luccia Ferraris, Paladin of Tishtina Bindar, heartbreaker, headcracker, and various sundry duties."

Armand glances around at the others and shrugs.

"I take it you're in this for the chance to take a fight to Hell's doorstep for once. Though if you'd be willing to share, I'd be interested to know what divine visions you saw. My goddess often tends to be...preoccuppied and her visions are not always so serious...though never unwelcome."

MikelaC1
2010-04-18, 12:37 PM
NATASHA

Natasha smiles at Zanis.
A person in my position has any number methods and ways to gather information, most of which I would not be willing to reveal. Im sure you can understand that. As to why I want you to visit Hell, I have explained my dual reasons, the recovery of the Sanitar heirloom, and to see what exactly disquiets the gods and the sleep of Zanthia. As for getting you close to the necklace, Zanthia will use a plane shift to set you down as close in Hell as she can. The nature of the spell and the plane you are going to makes exact sendings impossible....but you shouldnt be more than a days travel from it, at most.

Zanthia steps forward at this point with a set of rings, one of which she places on her finger
I will plane shift you when you are ready. When you have the neckace, and anything else of note, whoever is wearing this ring and she holds it out only needs to concentrate on me, sending a message that you are ready to return, and I will bring you back.

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:22 PM
"I was not expecting travel of this sort; I will need a few hours to put my affairs in order."

DM:
After the meeting breaks up:
Shopping: Bedroll, 10 sacks, 10 days trail rations, 10 flasks holy water -> 256 gp, 1 sp.
Kiera also gives 30 cp apiece to the 7 street kids she usually works with, with instructions to save it as she's not sure when she's coming back -> 2 gp, 1 sp.
I'll update my sheet with these changes once I am sure that I have the time to do them.

Finally, she visits her closest friend, a gnome innkeeper called "Aleslosh" Turen, tells him (loosely) where she is going, and asks him to keep an eye on the kids she usually watches over and let anyone who is looking for her know that she is unavailable.

nolispe
2010-04-18, 02:11 PM
"I am ready. I removed my protective wards as a show of faith before entering, so would you have any objections to me using some of the time provided by my compainion to shield myself once more?"

Savannah
2010-04-18, 02:32 PM
"Ah, I suppose I should introduce myself before leaving. I am Kiera."

Tyrael
2010-04-18, 02:51 PM
Professor Telford sighs and shakes his head ruefully. "Well, I suppose I can look at it as an unprecedented opportunity to branch into new areas of study," he remarks. "Is there anything else we need to know?"

sacreddeamon
2010-04-18, 04:22 PM
Thokk readily takes the half-orcs hand and returns the grasp

The names Thokk. Not as flowery as your own, but its enough to identify who I am, and that's all that matters.

Releasing his hand, Thokk continues

Can't say a whole lot about the Goddess's message, though. For me, this opportunity is reward enough for being in her service.

Thokk's voice takes on a heavy, serious grate

Denizens of the lower planes tend to rub me the wrong way.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-18, 09:04 PM
"I know a girl who can rub you the right way. She's a halfling, but she likes dwarves."

Armand paused and looked thoughtful.

"Though perhaps that's another conversation."
He looks up and around at the rest of the crew.

"I think perhaps a few hours for preparation and such isn't a bad idea. In addition, it might be in our best interest to share a bit about what we're capable of. For my own self, give me a straight line and a target and I can cleave a head from its shoulders in six seconds flat, no matter who it belongs to. I've other talents, but those shouldn't come into play in this adventure."

He nods his head politely to Kiera and flashes her a winning smile.

"Well met, m'lady."

senrath
2010-04-19, 12:02 AM
"Well, I've been fighting devils my entire life, and I've picked up a few tricks that make fighting them easier. I can turn invisible whenever I feel like it, as well as see invisible things. I can even fly. But my specialty is making things explode in a multitude of colors." Olffder said, no longer fidgeting. "The name's Olffder, by the way. Olffder Wilkmin."

Savannah
2010-04-19, 12:12 AM
"I can get into places I'm not supposed to be and I can kill before you even know I'm there," Kiera says without any emotion.

nolispe
2010-04-19, 12:15 AM
"I can ward you against hostile attacks, and.. convince creatures to assist us. It is probably a good idea to get something out of the way now: I am a committed pacifist. I have never seen violence against another sentinent being result in a positive outcome. Exept for the scum that reside in the nine hells."

Savannah
2010-04-19, 12:17 AM
"Obviously you haven't met the scum that reside here."

nolispe
2010-04-19, 12:20 AM
"Most of them are just misguided, and perhaps being manipulated by the archdevils."

Savannah
2010-04-19, 12:25 AM
"Most of them either love seeing helpless things squirm or only care for their own power and not for those they harm. You never lived on the streets, did you?"

senrath
2010-04-19, 12:29 AM
"Um, I think you two are referring to completely different things. Kiera's talking about the people who reside here while you," Olffder said, gesturing at Zanis. "Are referring to the devils that reside within the Nine Hells, beings that I would not call misguided in the slightest. And I don't think I caught your name."

nolispe
2010-04-19, 12:29 AM
Zanis opens his eyes.
"Offlder, I have been refering to the poor creatures that live on the prime material as well. I am sorry if I did not communicate my name. I go by the name of Zanis."
Zanis looks round at keira.
"So, because they were cruel to you, you would do the same to them? That logic is the reason that the hells still have a plentiful supply of souls."

Savannah
2010-04-19, 12:36 AM
"Is it cruel to put a mad dog down? Is it cruel to ensure that no one is raped? No one is tortured? Burned alive? I assure you I take no pleasure in my killing."

OOC: We're going to get along wonderfully aren't we? :smalltongue:

senrath
2010-04-19, 12:38 AM
"Aw, well, I misinterpreted your statement based on your comment about the archdevils. I don't think they really need to deceive that many beings, as the beings do a good enough job of ensuring that they reach the Hells on their own." Olffder said, obviously a bit uncomfortable at the topic of conversation. "And I think I'm going to be going now. Get things ready for the trip, and all that."

Olffder's already completely ready, but he wants to get away from Zanis and Kiera, so he'll go wander around town for about an hour, then return here.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 12:43 AM
"So, because they were cruel to you, you would do the same to them? That logic is the reason that the hells still have a plentiful supply of souls."

"Going to have to disagree with you there, friend."

Armand's voice was kindly, but his eyes had narrowed into hardened points.

"Folks like Kiera's talking about are always out there and whether or not you see it, friend, they're every bit as brutal and hellish as the creatures that crawl out of the nether plains."
The half-orc cracks his neck and grins at the group.

"You see a lot of it when you're goddess' spheres of influence include a little bit of acceptable seediness. And if you grow up in the right places. I won't say they're beyond redemption...Hell, I crawled out of one dank hole of a city myself and I won't say I'm proud of my entire life...but sometimes you just have to break a few necks to save a few others."

He looks back and forth from Zanis to Kiera.

"Seems to me, though, if we're taking this job, there's not much point in discussing this plane. We're going to have a tough job to do and I'd appreciate if the folks watching my back aren't worried about who's behind theirs, fair enough?"

Once the group seperates after the conversation and such is over, Armand is going to buy some rations (beyond just the wine bottles he's carrying around for those Just-In-Case moments), find a priestess of Tishtina, and return at the last moment looking disheveled, pleased, and with a lady's undergarment stuck into his belt by accident.

Tyrael
2010-04-19, 01:02 AM
Martin Telford nods to each of the others in turn. "I'm not really much of a warrior," the old man admits easily. "I'm really more of an explorer, I suppose. My expertise has always been in arcane lore and getting to places where dungeon architects don't want intruders to get. The divine have also seen fit to bestow the powers of healing and renewal upon me, unworthy though I am."

nolispe
2010-04-19, 01:59 AM
"Oh? Just kill a few to save the rest, is it? And I would like to remind you that by killing them, you condemn them to an eternity of torture, one that, for all you know, they could have avoided if someone had just helped them for once. But no. Kill on sight, everyone knows that if someone registers evil they deserve to suffer for all eternity. Of course there is no reason to, say, talk first? Kiera, you claim not to enjoy the killing. But are you really sure that you are immune to the temptation of power? Immune to the seductive lure of deciding who lives and who dies? I have known dozens who thought the same way as you, who thought that killing a few to save the many was a good idea, and that that is as far as it would ever go... And without exeption, they have ended their lives falling to the same darkness they claimed to be fighting. If you stare into the Hells long enough the Hells stare back at you, and the only way to avoid falling into the darkness is to never, ever, decide to "Fight fire with fire" and adopt the enemies techniques to deal with them, for you will always end by becoming that which you sought to stop."

Zanis has delivered the entire tirade without blinking or drawing breath, and, as he concludes, suudenly appears to realise that he has been holding his breath, and breaths out heavily.

Savannah
2010-04-19, 02:10 AM
Kiera laughs bitterly. "I'm glad you have had the luxury of thinking that way. I'll let you talk to the scum here, as long as you are willing to comfort the ones they continue to torture after your talk.

"This is going nowhere, and I have preparations to make. Unless anyone has further need of me, I'll be off."

nolispe
2010-04-19, 05:32 AM
Zanis spits his final retort at Kiera as she leaves.
"All of us have the liberty to "Think like that", some just choose to hide behind their circumstances to avoid the truth."

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 05:51 AM
Armand looks up at the ceiling of the room they are in and rolls his eyes before looking back down at Thokk.

"This is going to be a laugh riot, don't you think?"
The half-orc chuckles and shakes his head.

"We're such a cuddly bunch."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-19, 07:24 AM
"I know a girl who can rub you the right way. She's a halfling, but she likes dwarves."

Thokk looks surprised then bursts into laughter at the comment.

Indeed, half-orc. A conversation for another time, perhaps after this meeting is over. It'll be good to relax before venturing into the lower planes and causing some havoc.

Well, there isn't much to say about me or what I do. The Goddess, Lysindra Damaris, has saved me from death more times then I can count, and I owe her my life. Devils, Demons, I don't care who they are. Those residents of the lower planes need to be destroyed, every single last one of them. Thokk holds up his left arm, and a small silver bracelet can be seen. I owe it to them to see these bastards destroyed

In a battle, I can hold down just about any front line. Deal out a fair amount of hurt, also, but Armand might have me beat there. The blessings of Lysindra have helped me out of many messes; she has never failed to assist her servant when needed

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 07:46 AM
DM and Sacred:

Ignore my last spoiler. Armand is buying rations and then we're GETTING THOKK LAID. Thokk does not get to argue. Armand can lift nearly one ton over his head. I will drag your armor-plated dwarven butt to a temple of Tishtina and, in Armand's words, “If we’re going to Hell, you’re going to see Heaven at least twice before hand.”

Armand thumps Thokk on the back heavily and laughs.

“Seriously. Favorite dwarf. Ever.”

He looks around and smiles.

“The offer stands for the rest of you. We’re going to hell. Some of you have reasons, some of you don’t, some of you are in it for the coin, whatever. If any of you want a last carouse or something more before hand, I am sure Tishtina wouldn’t begrudge her follower a possible last hoorah with some newfound allies…and maybe some of us need to loosen up enough to pull a stick out of their nethers.”

He gives Kiera and Zalin a meaningful look [OOC: At their backs if they’re walking away] before he grants the room a sweeping bow.

“I am honored to meet you all and I will be honored to fight alongside you beyond the light of the sun. Oh, and I’m going to keep score. Person with the least devils killed has to buy the rest of us a drink when we get back here. Deal?”

sacreddeamon
2010-04-19, 11:51 AM
Unscrewing a flask, Thokk takes a deep swig and offers it to Armand

I'm already ahead of you on that bit. With that, I'll see you all in the morning

DM and Atwas
Yeah, Thokk is game. Lets assume some last minute shopping takes place during this 'interlude'

MikelaC1
2010-04-19, 12:45 PM
Several hours later, the party reconvenes at the office of Natasha. Ready and willing to venture into Hell to retrieve the necklace she has told them about. Just to make sure, Natasha shows a picture to the group, one that has her in it, wearing the necklace in question. Once they all have it fixed in their memory, Zanthia steps forward and has the group hold hands in a circle. She speaks the magic words, activating the spell, and the group is suddenly plunged into darkness. They spin through a void, unable to see, speak or hear, the only thing making them realize they are not dead is the grip on their hands from their compatriots.
The world suddenly rights itself and the party finds themselves standing on a black and red plain of blasted sand. The oppressive heat is almost overwhelming. Fire bleches unexpectedly from fissures in the rock and sand that were not there moments ago. The very "sky" seems to burn with fire, and the air seems almost poisonous to breath. (and this is just the first layer)
Pausing for a moment, the party can see what appears to be a cliff, rising from the landscape, it is hard to judge distance from here but you dont think it is too far away. The faint sounds of battle can be heard, and if you squint just so, you can barely make out that there are figures in the sky near to where you judge the battle to be. There is enough cover that you figure you can at least sneak closer to see what is happening.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 12:59 PM
Armand narrows his eyes, gazing at the blasted landscape with an absolute lack of emotion for a long moment before his mouth breaks into a wide, wicked grin.

“Feh, I’ve seen worse,” he mutters, tugging the dark red robe he was wearing over his shining mithral chain closed tighter. He preferred wearing the red fabric over his armor purely because the gleaming armor tended to stand up otherwise and he hadn’t found anyone who could figure out how to dye forged mithral red.

Reaching back with both his hands, he tucks his ponytail down the collar of the robe, keeping it secure between the fabric and his armor. As he pulls his hands away from his hair, he draws out his falchion slowly, the metal rasping its way free of its sheath in one slow hiss as he cants his head in the direction of battle.

“Sounds like they started a party without us,” he murmurs. He seems almost unconcerned by the poisonous air and burning and in fact, he was mostly thinking about last night’s enjoyable activities. “Speaking of parties, Thokk, did you ever find the Halfling gal?”

sacreddeamon
2010-04-19, 01:08 PM
HaHA! I'm here! Oh, what a wondrous reckoning this shall be..

Thokk gazes across the land, a lopsided grin growing on his face as he surveys around him. The smile grows yet larger at Armand's question.

Ha, which halfling gal are you talking about in particular? I became acquainted with a couple... Thokk takes a deep drink from his flask Its amazing how friendly people can be when a little ale is offered

He shifts uncomfortably, for the first time noticing the heat. He turns to the rest of the party

Anyone have any means of divining our general location and situation? I'd like to know where the sounds of battle are coming from, and I'm ill-suited for recon

Tyrael
2010-04-19, 01:48 PM
Professor Telford staggers slightly, clutching onto his hat and regaining his balance. "Maker's breath," he mutters to himself. Closing his eyes for a moment, he forms a sigil with his fingers and whispers, "Dea matris, contego spiritus." A shimmer of light hazes around him for a brief moment, then fades. Instantly, Martin's face eases in relief. "Much better," he remarks to no one in particular.

Gazing around, his eyes widen behind his spectacles. "Oh....oh, my word..." The old man digs into his satchel and pulls out an old, worn leather journal with an inkpen tethered to the binding. Whipping it open, he begins taking careful notes.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3480/journalh.jpg

Casting Endure Elements on myself.

Lorolar
2010-04-19, 02:05 PM
Llian coughs for a moment on the not so pleasant burning air before pulling a half face mask up from under his chin to cover his mouth and nose. His possible last few hours had been spent gathering the necassary food and water for a journey of a week's length and a large selection of perfectly mundane arrows. He gazed out across the desolate terrain that surrounding him and briefly wondered whether the devils reflected the world around them or it they. The plane shift had been... bizare, a form of magic he had never experienced before, and not one he would ever have attempted himself, but the shattered world around the party had proven it to be effective.

Any reservations he had about his fellow companions had to be put asside, this could be nothing like some ordinary journey. They would be in great peril at all times, far too much was unknown here. He didnt like it.

In response to the dwarf's enquiry Llian spoke, just load enough for the group to hear "I have no method of ranged divination, but I should be able to get close to most creatures without them noticing. Is there any others her of a stealthy incline?"
A naturaly graceful and quiet step combined with an invisibility spell is more than enough for most, he added in his own head/

Savannah
2010-04-19, 02:12 PM
"I'm game to scout ahead." Kiera speaks calmly, but she is clutching the hilt of her rapier tightly.

You notice that Kiera seems to have two shadows and, on closer inspection, that one doesn't even look like her.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 02:28 PM
“Go on then, and come back quick.”

Armand looks up at the ruined sky and then back down at the group.

“We’re going to be counting on you two for scouting, looks like. You both seem more than capable of it.”

Lorolar
2010-04-19, 02:29 PM
Llian simply nods in acknowledgement of her offer before glancing over the rest of the group.

"Anyone else on scouting duty? If not you better start planning while we're gone. If we're in trouble I'll send up yellow flare. If its all clear, a green one. If you see a red flare, then dont bother as we'll be dead by the time you get there."

He tilts his head in the direction of the battle to Kiera, indicating that she should go first and set the pace.

Savannah
2010-04-19, 02:52 PM
Kiera turns to the shadow behind her. "Stay about halfway between us," she indicates Llian and herself, "and them," she indicates the rest of the party. "If he sends up any flare, come running. Likewise, if you see any attack on them, go help."

She then sets off towards the battle, effortlessly blending in with the terrain.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

The shadow waits until Kiera has gone off a ways, then moves out to remain between her and the group left behind.
Hide: [roll2] (I don't know what the lighting conditions here are, +4 in shadowy illumination and -4 in bright light.)

Lorolar
2010-04-19, 03:16 PM
When they start to approach the battlefield Llian puts on an extra sprint to catch up to Kiera and whispers urgently to her. "I'm right with you, but I'm vanishing for a bit." With a muttererd incantation and a wave of his hand in a complex gesture he apears to simply fade into the air around him

Cast, Invisibility, invisible to mundane sight for 13 minutes.
Move Silently check [roll0]

"Still here, I'll follow your lead since you cant mine. I'll tug on your sleeve if I need your attention and cant talk."

Should she wish to get particularly close to them he will inform her to go on ahead as he is not as confident in his skill to risk close range stealth.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 03:24 PM
Armand watches as the two scouts make their way ahead and then turns to the rest of his companions.

"Alright. We'd better stay sharp. I know at least a few of you have better eyes than mine. So let's keep 'em in use."

He runs a thumb along the edge of his Falchion's blade and nods.

"I don't know about you folks, but I'm antsier than a street hooker in a sultan's harem. Worship's sake, this place smells."

Armand turns his head and spits.

"I hate waiting."

senrath
2010-04-19, 04:22 PM
"You're not the only one who hates waiting, my friend." With that Olffder began to murmur arcane words under his breath, as well as drawing symbols of power in the air in front of him. Suddenly, his tongue becomes that of a serpent, and wings of pure white sprout from his back.

Using See the Unseen (Darkvision of 60ft and See Invisible), Serpent's Tongue (grants the Scent ability, as well as +5 vs poison), and Celestial Flight (grants a fly speed of 20ft with Good maneuverability).

Also, spot and listen checks just in case:
[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

Tyrael
2010-04-19, 04:32 PM
Martin shakes his head. "Patience," he counsels them. "Waiting and boredom are the best things that can happen on an adventure, because it means that nothing is trying to kill you."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-19, 04:50 PM
Lysindra, protect your servant

Cast Crown of Protection
+1 deflection bonus to AC
+1 to all resistances
13 hour duration

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-19, 06:31 PM
"Feh."

Armand shrugs, shifting his grip on his blade's hilt as the others began invoking their various magics and powers. He cracks his neck and smirks, flexing and stretching his limbs to limber up.

"Something's always trying to kill me. It might just not know it yet."

DM
Just a note...I changed my spells prepped for the day. Wasn't able to do so at work. Hope that's alright (replaced Flame of the Faith with Knight's Move)

MikelaC1
2010-04-20, 08:41 AM
When Kiera and Llian peek over a ridge, they are ‘treated’ to the sight of an ongoing and truly gruesome battle. Another one of the demons onslaughts into Hell is being fought here, there is a huge black ‘fissure’ hanging in the air, through which an army of manes is pouring out, being met immediately by an army of lemures turning them away. Hovering in the air, firing indiscriminately with their fiery bows are the air-support erinyes, most of the time they find a manes as a target, but every so often an unfortunate lemure gets in the way. Such is the nature of war between the fiends. Off to one side, two pit fiends and two balors are engaged in a titanic four way battle, with blood and ichor flying in every direction. One more of each type of fiend is currently lying on the ground, victims of the fight. In another quadrant, a marilith is being beset by two cornugans, her superior swordplay is being sorely tested, but the bodies of two dead osyluths at her tail proves that she is no easy foe to deal with. At least a dozen other pitched battles between various devils and demons are being waged at the same time, all at the base of the cliff the party spotted earlier.
The scouts can also see a black hole in the side of the cliff that would seem to indicate a cave or series of caves into the side of the rock, and the devils seem determined to push the demons away from this cave entrance. They seem to have succeeded to a certain extent, perhaps because the demons rift did not open to the exact tactical spot they wanted. The battle now rages at least 1000 yards away from the cave entrance. Based on the scope of the battle, Kiera estimates it will be ongoing for at least an hour more.

Savannah
2010-04-20, 01:24 PM
Kiera backs away from the ridge after scoping out the battle and starts heading back to the others. Unless Llian stops her, she doesn't say anything until she reaches them.

"OK, here's the deal. We've got a massive battle between devils and demons which should last a while yet. It looks like the devils are trying to keep the demons away from some sort of cave, so I'm betting that that's where we want to be. We'd have to be careful not to be seen, and there's probably more devils in the cave, but the battle is probably our best cover to get in there."

Lorolar
2010-04-20, 01:34 PM
Llian stares at the battlefield, stuck imobile at the sight before him. Captivated by a war and a slaughter so much more than any scale he had had the misfortune to witness he stood at the lisp of the crater just watching. He stood motionless as Kiera returned to the others, she likely assumed he was following still out of sight. These were what took it all from him, those flying things would haunt his dreams, here and there forms he dreaded to reckognise dotted the ranks. He was struck dumb by the sheer scale of it all, falling to his knees he began to realise the sheer scale of what he had attempted.

A demon, a pack, a cult, these he had slain. Before him lay an army, perhaps just one amongst dozens, hundreds, thousands. The task he had undertaken would kill him. The realisation was, daunting and freeing, he hoped he could hold onto that feeling when faced with those things on a more personal level. He turned on his heel and ran after Kierra, now halfway back to the others. Caution was irrelavent, a battle of that size would distract its participants to the small amount of noise he made. As he caught up to his fellow scout just outside the ranks of the others he took a moment to catch his breath doubled over before releasing the invisibility and fading back into sight.

"If we're seen and attacked by even a fraction of those forces we're dead. Even if the necklace isnt there, something an army is fighting to defend is worth investigating."

senrath
2010-04-20, 01:39 PM
"I agree. It would be wise to investigate that cave. If you all wish, I can turn invisible and scout out the cave a little bit, so we're hopefully not caught unawares by what we find in there." Olffder said, hovering just above the ground, his wings beating steadily.

If the others give their assent, Olffder will use Walk Unseen (24hr duration invisibility) and attempt to fly down to the cave, giving the battle as wide a berth as possible.

[roll0] Move silently, in case it's needed.

Lorolar
2010-04-20, 01:52 PM
"As useful as that may be, you are not the only one with that talent, and who knows what skills you could be better putting to use. For that matter, this is a life and death situation and we dont even know what we all can do. We have suspicions but not details."

He kneels over a patch of ground and draws the outlines of runes on the floorl; uses minor creation to create a large pile of arrows on the floor (seeing as I can create 13 cubicft apparantly) and begins loading them into his magical quiver.

"As I have just demonstrated I have some grasp of magic, I am also a skilled archer and have combined the two arts to some success. I am also skilled to some degree in stealth. What of the rest of you, we need to know each others capabilities to be able to plan successfully."

nolispe
2010-04-20, 01:56 PM
"That is going to be very dangerous. Do you have some form of teleportation to get you out if things go wrong? As llian said, if even a fraction of them notice us... If you are set on doing this, then you need to be ready to teleport back to the group. And, everyone else should retreat somewhat from that ridge.

senrath
2010-04-20, 01:59 PM
"Ah, no, you're right. I was just anxious to do something." Olffder said, looking a bit sheepish.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-20, 02:00 PM
“We probably should have discussed that before we got ourselves dropped in hell, eh?”

Armand chuckles.

“I hit things. Hard. Then they die. I’m generally better if I can get a bit of a run-up on my target…Tishtina may be a reckless goddess, but her followers are no limp-wristed sex-obsessed pansies. Well, sex-obsessed perhaps. But certainly not limp-wristed nor pansy-esque.”

Armand shrugs and smirks.

“If you want us all to be sneaky, that's not going to happen with me here. I'm simply bad at it. I'm not comfortable with any of our number heading off alone. That's a death sentence. We go somewhere, we go together. Short-range scouting is one thing. Long range into a covered area we don't know? That's a death sentence. We need to stick together. I'll leave no one behind here if I can help it."

nolispe
2010-04-20, 02:28 PM
"I agree. Hell hides many secrets, and we are here for only one. We should not risk someones life for the sake of whatevers in that cave. Ok, does anyone know where we are, geographically speaking?"

senrath
2010-04-20, 02:31 PM
"I might. Lemme think on it for a sec." Pausing, Olffder thought for a moment.

[roll0] K: The Planes, if that helps at all.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-20, 02:44 PM
I agree with Armand. If anything, we should probably venture forth as a group, and have limited scouting from which those less stealthy can support.

Thokk carefully checks each strap of his plate mail, taking care with his holy symbol around his neck.

Am as good as any when it comes to holding a set line, better then most probably. I was a caravan guard before I became a follower of Lysindra, and have learned from some of the best dwarven temple guards. Mind you, I can still dish it out. Im not one for subtly. Give me something to protect or something to destroy, and Im good to go

nolispe
2010-04-21, 03:34 AM
Knowledge: The planes check [roll0]
"Thokk, that would be a suicide mission. We cannot fight an army, so we cannot all go, and our numbers cannot provide protection. However, we cannot let someone go on their own. Therefore, we need to get out of here, and leave the cave alone. If we know where we are, we should go now, perhaps to the bronze citidal. If not, then we should begin walking away before this battle ends."

MikelaC1
2010-04-21, 07:19 AM
With no outstanding landmarks, and not being in control of the spell, there is really no way for the group to know where in Hell (where the Hell are we?) they have landed. Outside of being near the base of a large cliff.

OOC: All your knowledge rolls could reveal was that yes, we are in Hell

As you continue to wait, the sounds of the battle grow louder. Based on what Llirian and Kiera saw, that doesnt mean its moving closer to you, it just means that more and more forces are likely being committed by the demons in an attempt to gain a beachhead into Hell.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-21, 08:10 AM
"Thokk, that would be a suicide mission. We cannot fight an army, so we cannot all go, and our numbers cannot provide protection. However, we cannot let someone go on their own. Therefore, we need to get out of here, and leave the cave alone. If we know where we are, we should go now, perhaps to the bronze citidal. If not, then we should begin walking away before this battle ends."

"I don't know about that."

Armand looks to Llian and Kiera.

"Would you say the cave is far away enough from the battle that we could all just book it inside without the war noticing us? Whatever's in the cave may see us coming, but if we move fast enough...or if one of you finger-wigglers can keep us invisible or provide a distraction...we can make it inside and annihilate any guardsman on the way."

Armand bites his lower lip for a moment and nods.

"Way I see it, we are up crap creek without a paddle, there's a hole in our boat, and we all really need to piss. We have one clue...we're teleported as close to the necklace as she could get us. So I'm going to say that if it isn't in that cave, something is, and that something might be important to what we're trying to do. If our scouts think we can get there unnoticed, let's start moving before that fight is settled and our choices are made for us. If things go south, I'll hold off what I can while you folks get out of here. An army might drop me, but I'll put a wrench in their ranks first."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-21, 09:34 AM
Armand bites his lower lip for a moment and nods.

"Way I see it, we are up crap creek without a paddle, there's a hole in our boat, and we all really need to piss. We have one clue...we're teleported as close to the necklace as she could get us. So I'm going to say that if it isn't in that cave, something is, and that something might be important to what we're trying to do. If our scouts think we can get there unnoticed, let's start moving before that fight is settled and our choices are made for us. If things go south, I'll hold off what I can while you folks get out of here. An army might drop me, but I'll put a wrench in their ranks first."

Thokk nods in agreement

My point exactly. Sittin' out here in the middle of hell isn't exactly my idea of a good time. That cave is the only landmark we have, and sure as hell can't be a whole lot worse then our current situation. Its not going to matter if we attract attention out here or on our way, because either way we are in hostile territory. The cave can at least balance out the numbers

senrath
2010-04-21, 10:32 AM
"Well, whatever we do, it's probably best to do it soon." Olffder said, hissing slightly with his new tongue. "If we're still here when that battle ends, there's no way we'll escape detection."

Savannah
2010-04-21, 11:29 AM
"Would you say the cave is far away enough from the battle that we could all just book it inside without the war noticing us? Whatever's in the cave may see us coming, but if we move fast enough...or if one of you finger-wigglers can keep us invisible or provide a distraction...we can make it inside and annihilate any guardsman on the way."

"Yes. That is precisely why I think we should go now and use the battle for cover. If we do not, then we will have to deal with the army of winners, and that is suicide."

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-21, 12:03 PM
"Yes. That is precisely why I think we should go now and use the battle for cover. If we do not, then we will have to deal with the army of winners, and that is suicide."

"Great. Let's roll."

Armand starts off in the direction that Kiera and Llian had scouted.

senrath
2010-04-21, 12:04 PM
Shrugging, Olffder made a few more arcane motions before vanishing from sight. In truth, he was slowly drifing after Armand.

Using Walk Unseen. Invisibility as per the spell Invisibility, but with a 24 hour duration.

Lorolar
2010-04-21, 04:00 PM
"You're intending invisibility on all of us? Thats taxing of all our caster's resources and will only last so long. How are we dividing up the burden?"

Llian sets of in an easy gait as he does this, assuming after armand had gone that the rest of the gorup would move. Time was limited.

senrath
2010-04-21, 04:28 PM
"Unfortunately, I can only make myself invisible, but I figured one invisible person is better than none. And I probably should've mentioned that I'm a Warlock, so I can continue to use all of my powers an indefinite number of times." Olffder's voice came from just a little behind Armand.

Tyrael
2010-04-21, 05:41 PM
Martin nods. "Caves are fine with me," the old man remarks. "The armies out there are too busy with each other to give us any mind."

Savannah
2010-04-21, 08:50 PM
Kiera makes sure that everyone is heading towards the cave, then moves out herself. She keeps one eye on the battle, looking for signs that the group was noticed.

Hide: , Move silently: [roll]1d20=24
Hide for shadow: [roll1]

nolispe
2010-04-22, 12:35 AM
"If we are going to do this, then we need invisibity. Now, this will vanish if you attack, so don't unless absolutly nessasary."
Zanis casts invisibility on all of the non-invisibile members of the group (from his wizard spell list first, and then beguiler if nessasary) and then on himself.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-22, 08:43 AM
Now invisible thanks to the castings of one of this compatriots and completely unaware of the locations of his other compatriots, Armand will proceed to waltz right into the cave.

MikelaC1
2010-04-22, 08:56 AM
The party approaches the cave entrance, all but Kiera and Llian (who already saw it) pause for just the briefest of moments at the sight of the fully joined battle between the forces of Hell and the Abyss. Blood and ichor soaks the 'ground', which seems almost to lap it up and roar for more. Even more of the more powerful fiends on both sides have joined the battle since the two scouts last looked in on it...the devils using their summoning powers to bring up reinforcements and the demons coming through the rift after sending their cannon-fodder manes in first. The battle is moving further and further away from the cave, if the demons meant to secure it, they seem to be failing miserably, if they are just seeking a beachhead into Hell, by coincidence at the same point as you wish to be, then the battle is still in question.
Just as the party is about to enter the caves, one of the demons, a powerful marilith, looks right at you. Despite the fact that you are cloaked by the invisibility spell, you seem to think that she saw you, she could hardly have missed you if she possesses the power. Almost immediately however she directs her attention back to the cornugans assualting her, and redoubles her sword strikes on them, taking up all of their attention as they desperately try to fend her off.
Once inside the cave, your eyes take a moment to adjust to the gloom, but for some reason, there is some light, although what the source is, you are not certain. The tunnel into the caves goes in for about 20-30 feet, and then widens up into a large cave, that, for now, is empty. It appears to be about 100 ft wide where you come into it, and goes back for some distance.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-22, 12:40 PM
"Lets spread out a bit and figure out our situation" Thokk whispers to the group as he slowly moves forward into the open cave.

"Kiera, mind taking point a couple dozen feet ahead of us? If you see something, signal and we'll halt. Armand, watch the back. Make sure noone is coming to catch us in the rear. Most unpleasant that would be"

Tyrael
2010-04-22, 01:21 PM
Martin glances around the area, uneasily poking the ground with his boot. "Well, it's no tomb or dungeon," he remarks, "but I feel safer with walls around me any day."

Lorolar
2010-04-22, 02:58 PM
"In confined spaces with so many of us Invisibility poses as much of a risk as it does a protection"

Llian's voice much like those of the others apears to float out of empty air, which is the only indication of his pressence somewhat further forward into the cave than you might have expected.

"Whoever is maintaining the spell could you kindly stop, we need sight of each other more than we need stealth."

He pauses to make active spot and listen checks as he goes, his bow is drawn and an arrow rests upon it, ready to be drawn back and fired at a moments notice. He's tense, his shoulders tight and his face drawn taut.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

senrath
2010-04-22, 03:03 PM
"Well, I was only using my invisibility as an extra precaution while we were getting in here, so I'll drop my spell." Olffder whispered, before winking back into sight and looking around.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

MikelaC1
2010-04-23, 08:26 AM
Exploring the cave further, you find that there are no enemies combatants inside of it. The whole thing seems to be about 100 ft by 100 ft. The walls, floor and ceiling seem to be made of a hard black rock, blasted out of the mountain by fire. No tracks are visible, but then the hardness of the rock would preclude tracks showing anyway.
Near the back part of the cave, there are two tunnels leading deeper into the cliff. One is to the far right hand of the cave, the other to the far left. Listening intently at both, you hear the faintest of metallic sounds at the right hand one, while the left hand one almost sounds like there might be a fire somewhere down it. This impression is helped by the fact that more heat seems to be coming out of it, which is something since the entire atmosphere of this first layer is one of heat.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-23, 08:57 AM
"Metal or fire," Armand mutters from the back, sounding amused. "Pointy objects or burning. I like this place already.

He shifts his stance slightly, keeping his grip on his falchion while glancing at whoever else had shifted towards the rear of the group. The paladin continuosly checks behind the group in case of danger.

Active Spot and Listen checks
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

senrath
2010-04-23, 09:00 AM
"Unless anyone has any flashes of insight, I think the question becomes whether or not we want to run into anyone yet. There's a good chance that the clanging is being made by something alive, while it's slightly less likely that the fire has someone standing around it." Olffder said, still hovering about a foot off the ground.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-23, 11:17 AM
Look, we need answers now, the longer we stand at the entrance of the cave the longer we risk the victors discovering us. We need to discern what that clanking might be. While it is likely that will bring us to a fight, we may be able to surprise whatever is present and then continue deeper, where it may be safer. It may not. The same can be said about our current location. Either way, if we progress farther we can at least do something

Savannah
2010-04-23, 11:57 AM
"I think the bigger issue beyond getting into or avoiding a fight is which tunnel is more likely to contain the necklace. If the armies outside are fighting over the necklace, there is really no way that we all will be able to reach it without a fight." Kiera pauses. "I have no idea how to tell which way the necklace would be, however."

sacreddeamon:
If you preview or spellcheck your post with rolls in it, the rolls won't work. Also, you cannot add rolls with an edit. Don't know if any of those are your problem, but they are some of the roller's quirks.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-23, 01:34 PM
True enough, but not picking one will likely result in the same as picking the wrong tunnel.

Profession (Blacksmithing) --> Discern if the clanking is a forge
[roll0]

senrath
2010-04-23, 01:35 PM
"Probably should've asked this before, but can anyone cast any form of divination spells?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-23, 01:35 PM
"Hrmm...question..."

Armand runs a hand through his hair, frowning.

"If we need to know where something is...and going towards the metal indicates that someone might be there...and while I know men aren't supposed to ask for directions...couldn't we possibly incapacitate and capture whatever is making that noise?"

Savannah
2010-04-23, 02:07 PM
"That is an excellent suggestion, Armand. Furthermore, didn't Natasha say that the devils might be removing the gems from the necklace? Perhaps the sounds have something to do with metalwork on it?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-23, 02:59 PM
"That is an excellent suggestion, Armand. Furthermore, didn't Natasha say that the devils might be removing the gems from the necklace? Perhaps the sounds have something to do with metalwork on it?"

"I'll be honest, I just want to beat up a devil."

Armand shrugs.

"What?"

nolispe
2010-04-24, 11:25 PM
"Yeah, that's pretty much why i'm here. Now, who wants to go check what that is?"

senrath
2010-04-24, 11:28 PM
"Works for me." With that, Olffder began to fly slowly towards the clanging sound. He was going slowly enough that anyone of the others could move in-front of him if they so chose.

Savannah
2010-04-25, 12:34 AM
senrath: Is Olffder invisible again?
If so, Kiera follows him down the tunnel (or at least follows where she thinks he is). If not, she moves past him, whispering "You might want to disappear again. I'd like a chance to plan tactics before we are spotted."

Hide: [roll0], Move silently: [roll1]

senrath
2010-04-25, 12:36 AM
Olffder paused, and actually set down on the ground again, before walking back to the group. "Of course, my apologies. I'm still not used to working in a group."

Tyrael
2010-04-25, 12:58 AM
Martin shakes his head disapprovingly at Olffder. "Exploring like that will get you killed," he advises. "I've been adventuring for a long time, and just recklessly moving ahead without carefully searching your path is how the masters of these dungeons want you to behave. Sure, this isn't a tomb or a dungeon, but I find it's better to be cautious than dead.

Take it slow. We don't have a big hurry."

nolispe
2010-04-25, 12:58 AM
"Wait, just one thing. When you find whatever is making the noise, come back and get us. This should strictly be a scouting misson."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-25, 12:52 PM
"Whatever the noise is, I don't know what is making it. I'd say some light scouting is in order. If you see anything, haul back here.

senrath
2010-04-25, 02:07 PM
"That, I can do. If I'm not back within a few minutes, assume something's happened to me. If you hear an explosion, assume that I was discovered, attacked, and forced to defend myself." Olffder said, before resuming his hovering. Once he was airborne, he vanished from sight and flew down the tunnel. He was going to check things out, then come right back.

Using Walk Unseen again.

Lot'sa checks now:
Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

MikelaC1
2010-04-25, 02:17 PM
Kiera and Olfdder explore down the tunnel with the light clanking sound, it goes about 50 feet and then widens into another cave area. Inside this area are 8 humanoid shaped beings, however chains wrap around each one like a shroud, each chain ending in a wicked looking hook. The chains slither and slide across the creatures body, almost as if they are alive
They appear to be watching the entrance from the tunnel, as if they are on guard in this room. Beyond them, you think there might be another tunnel out of the cave, leading even further on, but there appears to be no way past them without dealing with them.
Kiera and Olfdder return to the party without incident, they dont think the devils were alerted to their presence.

senrath
2010-04-25, 02:21 PM
"Well, that was certainly interesting." Olffder said, reappearing in view. "There are eight...things wrapping in chains guarding another tunnel. If we want to go that way, we have to deal with them first."

After a moment, he snapped his fingers. "Aha! I remember know. They're Kytons, chain devils. Unfortunately, all I can remember about them is that they attack with the chains that wrap around their bodies."

Rolling my knowledges to see if I can identify the creatures:
[roll0]: K: Arcana
[roll1]: K: Religion
[roll2]: K: The Planes

Savannah
2010-04-25, 02:29 PM
How are the beings positioned in the cave? Would it be possible to slip between them? (Or between one and the wall?) Are they just standing there or are they pacing?

Lorolar
2010-04-25, 03:03 PM
"I think I may have fought one... once. However you take the information they're devils and this wont be easy. With our resident dwarf and" he glances armand up and down "others... stealth is not an option. If forces are guarding the door then theres something to be guarded, I say that is the way we go."
He sights down his bow arrow drawn to check the aim then lets the string relax and slacken.

senrath
2010-04-25, 03:08 PM
"I agree that it's worth checking out. Now, for combat, I was thinking that I could try and get a preemptive strike off on them, as I can turn invisible at will, then the rest of you could come in behind me once I've drawn their attention. I am, of course, open to other ideas."

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-25, 06:32 PM
"I agree that it's worth checking out. Now, for combat, I was thinking that I could try and get a preemptive strike off on them, as I can turn invisible at will, then the rest of you could come in behind me once I've drawn their attention. I am, of course, open to other ideas."

"While not a bad idea, not neccesarily the best either."
Armand bit his bottom lip, looking thoughtful.

"That would require the rest of us to remain well hidden...which may prevent us from getting there in time to provide aid should things go awry with your sneak attack. Rendering all of us invisible once more might be a strain on our arcanists' resources, as strong as they might be."
Cracking his neck again, the half-orc looked around at the group.

"I'd personally suggest that those of us who are used to being on the frontline do so, perhaps with one person capable of aiding us and keeping us moving at our side. Thos who can sneak and render themselves unseen should do so to get themselves in position for maximum advantage once the frontliners hit the battle. But then, as I said before, I'm just here for the hitting."

Savannah
2010-04-25, 06:35 PM
"Perhaps the more sneaky of us should get in position to attack and then, on a prearranged count or somesuch, the others attack, allowing those already in position to take advantage of the enemies' reaction?"

sacreddeamon
2010-04-26, 09:51 AM
Ha, if you need somebody to hold the front line, I'm probably the best shot at that. I've also got some blessed magic from Lysindra that can tip things in our favor. Casters, save your juice until its needed on this one.

Thokk Flashes a surprisingly wicked grin

My Goddess and I have something that fits this bill perfectly

Cast Bulls Strength (Thokk Str +4) and
Bless (Everyone +1 to hit and +1 saves against fear)
13 minute duration for both

senrath
2010-04-26, 10:38 AM
"My thanks, Thokk. And yes, Armand's plan sounds better than mine, by a large margin. Unless anyone else has an idea, I feel we should carry it out." Olffder remarked, floating a little higher, so that he was no on eye level with the rest of the group.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-27, 11:35 AM
Sounds good to me. Those of you who are inclined for stealth, go now. I'll be charging into the fray in two minutes time, starting now

Thokk checks all his gear, readies his waraxe, and prepares to charge down the tunnel

senrath
2010-04-27, 11:48 AM
"I'll be on the left." Olffder said, as he vanished from sight. He then headed down the tunnel to take up his position.

[roll0] Move Silently

Savannah
2010-04-27, 12:43 PM
"Then I guess I'll take the right." Kiera slips off down the hall. If she is sure she can do it without being noticed, she will sneak between two of the devils to be in posistion for a rear attack. Otherwise she will just press herself against the wall to give Thokk plenty of room.

Hide: [roll0], Move silently: [roll1]

MikelaC1
2010-04-27, 12:56 PM
Thokk "watches" as the two invisible people head into the room. Judging by the fact that none of the chain devils react in any way, he would judge that they were successful and are now positioned where their sneak attack would be most successful.

OOC: Since the devils still are not aware of the party, you will all have a surprise round to attack (or do whatever) and then we will revert to the rolled initiative order. So go ahead and post your free round action (the sneaking in doesnt count as your free round, since you didnt alert the baddies)

Savannah
2010-04-27, 01:23 PM
OOC: Did I get a chance to sneak behind the devils?

Kiera waits until she can see her allies coming, then plunges her rapier into the back of the nearest kyton.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + Sneak attack: [roll2]

Savannah
2010-04-27, 01:25 PM
Oh, hey, look at that! Rolled an 18. (Mind you, the crit is fairly useless relative to the sneak attack :smalltongue:)

Critical confirmation: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

Edit: Seriously? I rolled a one on both my rapier damage rolls?

senrath
2010-04-27, 01:30 PM
Muttering under his breath, Olffder stretched out a hand, and a blast of pure white light issued forth, bathing the devils in its radiance. As he did so, he popped back into sight, his attack negating his own invisibility.

Using a Holy Blast Eldritch Cone (30 ft cone) on as many devils as Olffder can hit without hitting any allies at the same time. Targets get reflex save for half, and all evil outsiders are also hit with a dimensional anchor effect, CL 13.

[roll0] Damage to each of them

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-27, 01:49 PM
Armand cracks his neck as he and Thokk advance and then smirks. He points to a single Kyton.

“That one.”

His knuckles go white as his grip on his falchion’s hilt tighten.

Armand will enter a rage as a free action.

If he can charge a nearby kyton, he will do, utilizing leap attack and shocktrooper to reduce his AC by 13 instead of his attack while power attacking for 13x2 (26) damage, multiplied by leap attack to 52.

If he cannot, he will move so that he is 20 feet away from the nearest Chain Devil.

If Charge is possible:

Jump check (Fails on a one):
Attack Roll (crit on 15-20): [roll1]
Damage: [roll]2d4+52+18+3
Bane Damage:

If Critical, Confirmation: [roll3]
Damage: [roll]2d4+52+18+3

Stats:

HP: 162+24 temp
AC: 7

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-27, 01:51 PM
Apologies, damage reroll:

[roll0]

nolispe
2010-04-27, 02:04 PM
Zanis casts slow on as many devils as possible, following it up with a quickened glitterdust (Both from his beguiler spell list)

Lorolar
2010-04-27, 03:38 PM
Move action to get into a better position where I can get as many devils into a line as possible then use standard action to combine an arrow shot with a lightning bolt spell.

To hit roll: [roll0] (god I love my bonuses)
Arrow damage roll: [roll1](bow)+[roll2](lightning enchant)+[roll3](holy enchant)
Arrow only hits target, then it any any I could get in a 120ft line:
[roll4] damage from the lightning bolt.

Tyrael
2010-04-27, 05:39 PM
Martin

The old man moves forward with a snap of his fingers. Water seems to flow out of his canteen into his hand, coalescing into the shape of a long whip that still seems to be composed fully of water. Inside the liquid, tiny red and blue bubbles froth and boil. With a sudden jerk, he snaps the whip forward, the tip whipping around faster than the eye can see and digs into the Kyton's hip, leaving a scorched mark in its wake.

Move Action: Move within 10ft of the nearest Kyton. If that Kyton drops before I get there, move within 10ft of the other Kyton.
Free Action: Draw Disarming Water Whip
Standard Action: Sneak [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3], Kytons are immune.
[roll4]

Total Damage: 20

sacreddeamon
2010-04-27, 06:24 PM
Its time to pay back for what has been done to myself and my clan. Goddess give me strength...

Thokk positions himself within 40 feet of the farthest devil and calls upon Lysindra's holy magic...

AINA ENEG

Cast Holy Word. SR checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

MikelaC1
2010-04-27, 08:24 PM
All hell breaks loose in the room as the party comes crashing in on the chain devil party. Armand, the sexy half-orc makes a mighty bounding charge and unloads a devastating blow on one chain devil, cleaving it in half with one swipe. A spell crackles out from Zanis, and 3 of the devils are caught by it, they appear to be moving very slowly, at the same time a cloud of golden dust falls on them, causing them to paw desperately at their eyes due to a blindness that falls on them. Olffder fires off a cone of eldritch power which crashes into 3 of the chain devils, severely wounding them. Seconds later an arrow from Llian hits one of those devils, finishing it off, and as the arrow hits, a bolt of lightning bursts forth from it, killing the second devil affected. Martins whip hits the third devil that Olffder weakened, and it falls as well. Kieras brutal backstab deals an almost mortal blow to the last chain devil, it is still on its feet, but barely. At that point, Thokk speaks a holy word from his goddess, the 4 chain devils that are still alive are all overwhelmed with its power, leaving them deafened, blinded and paralyzed. There is little left to do but mop up the survivors, and since they are paralyzed, and crippled, they offer almost no resistance.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-27, 10:44 PM
Thokk kneels before the nearest chain devil

"Goddess, thank you for this victory"

Thokk then proceeds to remove a small length of chain from the Devil and stashes it within his Haversack.

Savannah
2010-04-27, 11:05 PM
After whatever mopping up is necessary is done, Kiera rubs her ears until the ringing goes away. Turning to Thokk, "What in Silescia's name was that?! I'm on your side!"

sacreddeamon
2010-04-27, 11:26 PM
Thokk turns to Kiera, eyes narrowed

"That was a blessing from Lysindra herself, a magic designed to stun and harm those whose agendas do not correspond with that of hers, though it can be a bit, judicious, at times. As you seem to be sensitive to it... Thokk pauses for a minute, before continuing. "I shall take a bit more care before invoking words that may disrupt those who are not good-hearted. Oh wait, thats right, we are IN HELL. EVERYTHING IS EVIL AND TRYING TO KILL US"

senrath
2010-04-27, 11:30 PM
"Well, whatever that was, it was a lot more effective than anything I can do. How often can you pull that off, Thokk?" Olffder asked, as he made sure that none of the devils were hiding anything interesting on their persons.

I doubt they have anything, but I'm not about to miss something because we never looked for it.
[roll0] Search

sacreddeamon
2010-04-27, 11:38 PM
As I said, a holy word of power, designed to stun and blind those not of pure heart. It is one of the most powerful invocations I know, and as such I can only utilize it a limited number of times a day. It is also more effective against weaker evils. Against a greater fiend, it will only inconvenience it at best.

Savannah
2010-04-28, 01:25 AM
"Yes, everything is evil and trying to kill us, so I'd suggest that you don't hurt the few people who are your allies," Kiera snaps. In a slightly calmer voice, she continues, "Although I have to admit, it was quite useful. Those things would probably have done a bit of damage if they had had a chance to attack."

Kiera also checks out the bodies. Search: [roll0]

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 01:34 AM
As Thokk stoops over to help Kiera with her searching:

"Look, Kiera, my apologies if that caused you some unpleasantness. When I prayed to the Goddess before we left, I asked for strength against those of the lower planes and the power to stop them, and by virtue of our current location, that excludes certain members of our party. I shall try to remember you are a might more vulnerable to some magics then others, but I do believe a temporary ringing of the ears is a bit more favorable then having a spiked chain through your skull."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 01:39 AM
Assist Kiera searching
[roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-28, 01:44 AM
"I apologize as well. Your spell definitely helped us win this battle without a scratch, which" she grins "is my favorite type of fight. I was simply unprepared for the effects. As you say, my short discomfort it nothing, relatively speaking."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 01:49 AM
"Thankee. In all honesty, I did not mean to bring you any harm or even discomfort. I'd much rather have somebody in my immediate location not want to kill kill me, and as I have known you for all of a day, that may make things difficult"

Thokk turns and gives Kiera a deep bow, cape flowing over his armor

"The name is Thokk, Lady, Dwarfish follower of the Goddess Lysindra and bound under the code of the Slayer. A pleasure to meet you"

Savannah
2010-04-28, 02:01 AM
Kiera is clearly taken aback by Thokk's gesture. "I-I'm not..." She pauses.

"The name's Kiera. Protector of those who can't stand up for themselves. I'm glad to meet you as well. She quickly goes back to work checking the corpses and the cave, but she's smiling happily for the just about the first time since you've met her.

MikelaC1
2010-04-28, 06:50 AM
A search of the devils finds nothing of note, which probably confirms the fact that these devils were here as part of a guard on something, rather than this being their base of operations. Looking around in the cave, you see nothing else of note, save the tunnel at the back of it that leads even deeper into the mountain.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-28, 08:20 AM
Armand took a moment to calm down after the carnage, mostly unable to assist in the searching and the discussion regarding when to drop spells on an ally’s head. When the raged fades from the half-orcs face, he shudders once and proceeds to clean of his blade. He wipes a swatch of devil ichor from his face and glances over to the rest of the crew.

“Thokk, if you’re going to ask Miss Kiera to go out with you, at least wait till we get back to the world.”

Glancing down the hallway, he grimaces momentarily.

“That was pathetic. This is hell, we just slaughtered some devils, and I feel like I’m out for my morning constitutional. I’ve spent more energy in bed.”

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 01:47 PM
"Well, being that this 'pathetic' encounter just left you foaming at the mouth and winded for a couple minutes, I'd hate to see what state you left the poor missus in at the receiving end" Thokk chuckles good-heartily as he continues to search around the room.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-28, 01:54 PM
"Well, being that this 'pathetic' encounter just left you foaming at the mouth and winded for a couple minutes, I'd hate to see what state you left the poor missus in at the receiving end" Thokk chuckles good-heartily as he continues to search around the room.

"Winded my fantastically-sculpted arse. Don't make me see if I can beat my dwarf-tossing record, Thokky."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 02:22 PM
Winded or not, you did nothing to deny the foaming at the mouth bit. Im sure that goes over well... Thokk hefts his spiked shield for emphasis And I'm not sure if antagonizing somebody with spikes eye-level to your midsection is the wisest of ideas either

Thokk pauses for a minute or two before bursting out laughing

Haha, don't worry, though there may not be such thing as a fair fight, a shot to the belt is usually frowned upon.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-28, 02:48 PM
Armand raises an eyebrow.

"Friend, if you think spiky metal is the most dangerous thing I've had near my happy place, I have some great stories to tell you."

The half-orc chuckles and glances around the room for a moment.

"What can I say? I'm passionate about all sorts of things. A little foaming at the mouth never hurt anyone."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 02:59 PM
"Friend, if you think spiky metal is the most dangerous thing I've had near my happy place, I have some great stories to tell you."

Valid Point Thokk says, still holding the shield. Turning, he speaks a command word and one of the spines on the shield leap forth and embeds itself in a near-by wall
Though I don't know how many of them were magical flying spikey bits. And frankly, if you have stories like that, I may need to pass on them.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-28, 03:03 PM
Valid Point Thokk says, still holding the shield. Turning, he speaks a command word and one of the spines on the shield leap forth and embeds itself in a near-by wall
Though I don't know how many of them were magical flying spikey bits. And frankly, if you have stories like that, I may need to pass on them.

"Three. Let me just say that in some places, when they offer you a 'happy ending' to your massage, just say no."

sacreddeamon
2010-04-28, 03:12 PM
Thokk ponders this for a minute, confused, before deciding its best not to dwell on

"I'll take your word for it on this one. Now, its probably best to continue down this tunnel...
Olffder, Kiera, do you think you two would be able to tell us what is at least slightly farther down? It would probably be best to make sure there are no immediate threats within before we all pile in"

senrath
2010-04-28, 03:15 PM
"Can do." With that Olffder vanished from sight, and headed down the tunnel.

Walk Unseen once more.

[roll0] Move Silently

Savannah
2010-04-28, 03:20 PM
Kiera simply nods and heads down the tunnel. Hide: [roll0], Move silently: [roll1]

MikelaC1
2010-04-29, 10:12 AM
This time, Olffder is not as stealthy as he would like and inadvertanly makes a sound that alerts the enemy to his presence. Kiera and he barely have time to hotfoot it back to the party to let them know that they are about to be attacked by 4 bone devils.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-29, 12:12 PM
Thokk rushes over to the entrance of the cave and centers himself in the left side, dropping into a defensive stance.

"Armand! Watch my right!"

"C'mon devils! Here's hoping you put up more of a fight then the previous ones! Behold the power of Lysindra's Might!"

Cast Righteous Might and dropping into defensive stance, combined statistics
Str +6: 26 (+8)
Con +6: 28 (+9), +39 hp
DR 6/evil and 3/-
Large Size, Space/Reach: 10/10
+2 to all saves
+3 (net) to AC, dodge
+2 (net) to hit

HP: 220
AC: 34, 35 against select foe
To Hit: +25/20/15
Weapon Damage: 2d8+13+4d6, holy
Defensive Stance: 12 rounds
Righteous Might: 13 rounds

Lorolar
2010-04-29, 02:36 PM
"Everyone, you may feel the world... slow down a little."

With a series of complex gestures that made him glad his bow was attached to his back to complete Llian draws out a circle of pale yellow light in the air with his hands that lingers in trails after his hands. With a barked word of power he completes the spell and everyone in the party will feel vitaised with energy, their limbs calling out for movement and ther reflexes all the sharper.

Standard action wherein Haste is cast with a maximum of 13 targets (the party) for the next 13 rounds.

Bow is drawn and arrow knocked as a move action., Llian is ready for combat

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-29, 03:20 PM
“I know a cleric who uses that spell for entirely different purposes, but I’ll be honest, how else is a gnome going to get some trim?”

Casually whirling his sword around, Armand blocks the rest of the hallway with Thokk and closes his eyes for a moment, allowing divine energy to suffuse him.

Moving adjacent to Thokk to fill the hallway.

Swift Action: Activate Divine Vigor.

Statblock

HP: 162+26 Temp
AC: 22
Speed: 60

senrath
2010-04-29, 06:13 PM
Olffder quickly moved behind the protection offered by the others, then turned and waited to attack.
Readied action, Vitriolic Chain on the first three devils to appear.
[roll0] Attack 1 (Should be 40, also possible crit)
[roll1] Damage 1
[roll2] Attack 2 (Should be 40)
[roll3] Damage 2
[roll4] Attack 3 (Should be 22)
[roll5] Damage 3
If attack 1 misses, 2 and 3 don't happen. If 2 misses, 3 doesn't happen. All struck take 2d6 acid damage a round for the next 2 rounds.

HP: 96
AC: 24
To Hit (Eldritch Blast): +20

Savannah
2010-04-29, 07:22 PM
Kiera abandons stealth when she realizes that Olffder has alerted the devils and sprints back to the chamber. There, she takes up a posistion at the edge of the cave and attempts to make herself inconspicuous (Hide: [roll0]).

Her shadow companion hovers up in the top of the cave.

MikelaC1
2010-04-30, 12:55 PM
The bone devils or osyluths come into view and this time the party will actually face a fight in which the devils strike at them. Armand and Thokk bar the way into the room for now, and two of the devils strike at them, while the other two look for a way to get past. The strange arcane chain from Olffder sneaks forth and hits the first devill, and then bounces to a second one. It tries to bounce a third time, but the devil dodges the attack. Thokk is sturdy in defense and only takes one claw attack for minimal damage. Armand is not so lucky, he gets hit by a claw, and then the dangerous tail finds its mark on him. As well as a nasty sting, Armand feels an insidious poison seeping within in, seeking to sap his mighty strength.

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-30, 01:33 PM
Fort Save:
[roll0]

Armand takes the hits with little concern, a grin on his face. The poison is barely noticed as his finely-honed weapon of a body ignored it.

“You’re not even making this fun.”

Lifing his blade high, he whirls his blade around in a flashing arc of death. The adamantine weapon hums as its enchantments come into effect.

Armand will make a full attack against the devil in front of him. If the devil drops before the attack is complete, he will take his remaining swings at any other devil in reach if its possible.

Power Attacking for 6 on each attack

1st Attack: Will use a smite evil on this attack, triggering my Awesome Smite tactical ability to ignore 8 DR

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Bane Damage: [roll3]

2nd Attack: DR applies, regular attack
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Bane Damage: [roll6]

3rd Attack: DR applies, regular attack
Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]
Bane Damage: [roll9]

AtwasAwamps
2010-04-30, 01:35 PM
Critical Confirmation for Armand's first attack:

Crit Confirm: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Armand StatBlock:

HP: 162/162 (+13 temp)
Smites: 4/5
Rages: ¾
Turn Undead: 6/7

sacreddeamon
2010-04-30, 05:57 PM
The blows ping against Thokk's armor, and he laughs as they rain ineffectually against him

HaHa! Now things are going interesting! Im liking this view from up high! die Die DIE!

Thokk sadistically lays into the devils, waraxe cleaving into the nearest. With a command word, a blinding radiance strikes out of the axe and sears the offending fiend

Full Attack at nearest devil. If it is dropped, Thokk will strike at a devil behind the one, using his new and improved 10 foot reach

Attack 1[roll0]
Damage 1, base[roll1]
Searing Light [roll2]
Holy + Bane [roll3]
Attack 2[roll4]
Damage 2, base[roll5]
Holy + Bane [roll6]
Attack 3 [roll7]
Damage 3, base[roll8]
Holy + Bane [roll9]

Total Damage (If hit)
Attack 1 - 62
Attack 2 - 45
Attack 3 - 32

AC: 35, 36 against select foe
To Hit: +26/21/16
Defensive Stance: 11 rounds
Righteous Might: 11 rounds
Haste: 12 rounds

sacreddeamon
2010-05-01, 08:24 AM
With Llian's magic coursing through him, Thokk feels as if everything has slowed down. He reveals in the fact as he lays more blows into the devils then otherwise feasible

Forgot my hasted attack, edited effects into the above statblock
Thokk has a new reach of 10 feet due to his size, can he get at the devils behind the current one?
Haste Attack [roll0]
Base Damage [roll1]
Holy + Bane [roll2]

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-01, 03:36 PM
Almost in time with the dwarf, Armand takes his own extra swing as magic courses through his veins:

Forgot mine too! This should tell you how often I have friendly mages on my side...this attack will be against the nearest target Armand can reach if the initial target dies. DR applies, this is a normal swing with the power attack negative already applied.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

To speed it up in case of a crit, confirmation and damage here:
[roll3]
[roll4]

nolispe
2010-05-01, 11:29 PM
"This has got to be the most fun I've had in years."

Casts Quickened Glitterdust and Slow.

MikelaC1
2010-05-02, 12:11 PM
The chain spell from Olffder lashes two of the devils, but flies wide as it bounces to the third devil. Martin's whip snakes out and lashes one of the devils as they take their strikes at the party. Then the dwarf and the half orc go to work on the front row of the fiends. By the time their blows are finished, ichor is flying everywhere, and two of the chain devils are down for the count. The other two chain devils that were trying to push by to get into the action now find that the action has come to them, and they engage the front line, hoping for better results.

EDIT: The devils are still unable to penetrate Thokks defenses, however Armand takes two claws hits for some damage.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-02, 04:12 PM
Armand winces slightly as the devils claws lance into him, but shrugs off their blows with ease. The holy light that had surged around him as the battle started seemed to be acting as a buffer, soaking the blows and leaving the half-orc without any visible wounds. It had begun to fade, but he pays that no mind.

With a grin, ichor dripping down his face and staining his trusty falchion, he brings the blade around again for a heavy assault, every single blow of his whirling blade a song of death as the wickedly sharp edge whirls through the air.

“COME ON, BEASTS OF HELL! I COULD DO THIS ALL DAY.”
Attacks:

Power attacking for 5, full attack at the closest devil. If it dies, remaining attacks at whatever other devil is within reach.

First attack:
[roll0]
[roll2]

If Crit:
Confirm-[roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Hasted Attack:
[roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
[roll7]

If Crit:
Confirm-[roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Second Attack:
[roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
[roll12]

If Crit:
Confirm-[roll13]
Damage: [roll14]

Third attack:
[roll15]
Damage: [roll16]
[roll17]

If Crit:
Confirm-[roll18]
Damage: [roll19]

Stat Block:

HP: 162/162(+10 temp)
Rage: ¾
Smite: 4/5
Turn: 6/7

senrath
2010-05-02, 05:05 PM
Muttering under his breath, Olffder repeated his earlier action, casting bolts of acid at the devils.
[roll0] to hit the one on Olffder's left.
[roll1] Damage
[roll2] to hit the last devil, takes half the damage of the first

HP: 96
AC: 24
To Hit (Eldritch Blast): +21

Savannah
2010-05-02, 05:23 PM
I'm not quite sure where we are in the initiative order, nor exactly where everyone is in the cave. Assuming it is possible, when her turn comes up Kiera will sneak over near an enemy and sneak attack. Rolls:
Attack: [roll0] <- CRITICAL FAILURE
+ sneak attack [roll2] & 2 Str

Crit confimation if original roll is 15+: [roll3]
Extra damage: [roll4]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Second attack from being under haste spell
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
+ sneak attack [roll7] & 2 Str

Crit confimation if original roll is 15+: [roll8]
Extra damage: [roll9]

If the cave is tall enough, her shadow will attack one of the devils from above. Rolls:
Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11] Str

sacreddeamon
2010-05-02, 05:35 PM
Thokk continues to rain down blows upon the devils, laughing as he lops of limb and claw

Full Attack again, repeated as before
First Attack [roll0]
Base Damage [roll1]
Holy+Bane [roll2]

Haste Attack [roll3]
Base Damage [roll4]
Holy+Bane [roll5]

Second Attack [roll6]
Base Damage [roll7]
Holy+Bane [roll8]

Third Attack [roll9]
Base Damage [roll10]
Holy+Bane [roll11]

First: 31
Haste: 35
Second: 25 (damn minimum damage on 2d8...)
Third: 35

AC: 35, 36 against select foe
To Hit: +26/21/16
Defensive Stance: 10 rounds
Righteous Might: 11 rounds
Haste: 11 rounds

Lorolar
2010-05-03, 12:56 PM
Llian pulls back his bowstring, lining up the arrow to his face. His expression is calm, controlled but his jaw is twitching, rage concealed...constrained. With a muttering of words that left glowing dust in his breath, visible as if in winter his arrow ignited into radiant light, lightning coursing across its surface as with his shot on the previous devils.

Roll to hit: [roll0]
Bow Damage:[roll1] + [roll2]Electricity + [roll3]Holy
Lightning Bolt damage: [roll4]

So 46 damage to the first in line and 31 to any behind it.

MikelaC1
2010-05-04, 05:18 AM
The vitriolic chain from Olffder lashes out, dealing both devils damage. At that point, Llian hits one with an arrow that leaves a trail of sparks in its wake; while Kiera sneak attacks the other ones. At that point, both Thokk and Armand take over, laying into the fiends with great blows that cause ichor to fly in all directions. After their assualt is over, all the devils lie dead on the floor.

sacreddeamon
2010-05-05, 10:20 AM
Thokk waits until the magic coursing through him waxes, and he shrinks down to normal size. He meanders over to the nearest carcass, and carefully wipes his axe before taking a cautious look down the tunnel.

Well, that worked out quite well. He stated, glancing back at the casters Did any of them manage to break through and get to you guys?

senrath
2010-05-05, 10:22 AM
"Nope, we're good." Olffder said as floated over the devils. This was easier than he had expected, although that was likely to change shortly.

Savannah
2010-05-05, 10:54 AM
"Well, that went better than I expected. Hopefully the fact that they came after us immediately means that none of them raised an alarm. Maybe the guardians of this cave are less organized than they could be."

Lorolar
2010-05-05, 10:55 AM
Llian sheaths his bow, taking a moment to steady his shaking hands, alone that fight would have left him a bloodied corpse. Getting used to fighting with others would take time. He crosses his arms and turns to face Olffder, "That was rash of you, luring the devils in. Hidden from sight does not mean hiden from sound, next time leave the stealth to those most skilled in it." There is no judgement or anger in his words, he acts as if simply stating facts.

"Guards may guard many things, but all we have to guess our way is guesswork. Confusing, but if we keep blundering our way through here eventualy we will hit a force we cannot defeat. Yet I can see no better plan but to carry on hunting, does anyone have an alternative?"

Savannah
2010-05-05, 11:10 AM
"Better to continue onward now, while the guardians haven't had a chance to see the devils we've killed. Shall I continue to scout ahead?"

nolispe
2010-05-06, 03:59 AM
"Go on, then."

sacreddeamon
2010-05-06, 08:30 AM
Aye, its probably best for you to scout ahead, at least for the immediate corridor. Two fights in a row might attract some attention, and I figure we want to get off the main path soon

Thokk meanders through the bodies, searching for any goods as he talks to his compatriots

Search check
[roll0]

Savannah
2010-05-06, 12:47 PM
Kiera nods, then heads stealthily down the tunnel where the devils came from. Hide: [roll0], Move silently: [roll1]

MikelaC1
2010-05-06, 01:31 PM
Kiera moves down the tunnel that the devils came from and quickly finds the cave that they had originally been in. There was one tunnel leading out from that cave, and she moves stealthily down it. It goes for about 20 feet, and then widens into a cave, this time there does not appear to be any devil occupants. She does see a large wooden chest at the far end of the room. There are no tunnels leading out of it, as far as she can see.

Savannah
2010-05-06, 03:45 PM
Kiera goes back and reports to the party what she saw. "I propose that we all gather in the cave and then I examine the chest and open it."

senrath
2010-05-06, 03:46 PM
"I concur. While I doubt that our target is being held so close to the surface of the Hells, there could be something useful held within that chest. Or something that needs to be destroyed."

Lorolar
2010-05-06, 03:56 PM
"As I said, guards must guard something. These were considerable guardians. For something."

Without further word Llian begins walking in the direction of the cave, waiting at the tunnel's mouth for the others.

Savannah
2010-05-06, 04:10 PM
"While the necklace was taken several days ago, it is also possible that the devils have not had a chance to move it deeper, if they have been facing attacks from demons. Or perhaps this is something else entirely."

Unless someone objects to Kiera's plan, when everyone is at the cave, she will carefully examine the chest for traps. Search: [roll0]

Edit: urg, that wasn't a great roll.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-06, 04:38 PM
Armand was still wiping ichor and fragments of devil flesh from his face and armor. He was using a delicate silk handkerchief to do so. It was quickly ruined, but he didn't seem to particularly care, crumpling it up and tucking it away.

"If the necklace is in there, this is the least satisfying trip to Hell I've ever taken. And it's my only trip to hell, so that's saying something. Or nothing, as the case may be."

sacreddeamon
2010-05-07, 08:38 AM
I got your back, Kiera. Lets go.

Thokk follows Kiera into the cave, keeping an eye out on all sides for anything nasty to come charging through

senrath
2010-05-07, 10:07 AM
Saying nothing, Olffder floated along behind the others.

Tyrael
2010-05-07, 10:13 AM
Martin shakes his head. "Actually, young lady, I'd rather be the one to investigate the chest, if it's all the same. Probing ancient chests and escaping with the contents unharmed is my specialty." He gives her a lopsided smile.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-07, 10:27 AM
Blade at ready, Armand enters behind the others.

Savannah
2010-05-07, 10:47 AM
Kiera steps back from the chest and gives Martin a 'help yourself' gesture.

MikelaC1
2010-05-07, 11:49 AM
The party enters the last cave and approaches the chest, discussing amongst themselves who should be the one to open it. Without warning however, their discussion is cut short as 3 strange devils come out of hiding. They are human shaped, but with dozens of wicked looking spikes protruding out from their bodies at all angles. The party is caught off gaurd as the devils use foul magic on Thokk, Armand and Martin, attempting to freeze their muscles; and then they rush in for an attack

MikelaC1
2010-05-08, 01:04 AM
The evil magic of the devils fails to imprison Armand and Martin, however Thokk falls prey to it. The devils close into initiative range, one going after Armand, one goes after Llian, and one goes after Olffder. Post your actions, and we can begin round one.

nolispe
2010-05-08, 01:18 AM
"Die."
Zanis casts reverse gravity and quickened Blinding Color Surge at the devils.

senrath
2010-05-08, 01:26 AM
Olffder took a quick step backwards as he flung out his hand, crying words of arcane power. Bolts of acid streaked out from his outstretched hand, aiming for the devil that had approached him.

Five-foot step back, then Vitriolic Chain again. This time actually counting the damage bonus from my Chasuble of Fell Power, which I've been forgetting.

[roll0] vs devil on Olffder
[roll1] vs devil on Llian
[roll2] vs devil on Armand

[roll3] damage (half to any targets after the first)

Once again, if any of the attacks miss, all the ones that come after it do too.

Savannah
2010-05-08, 01:45 AM
Kiera moves to flank with Llian, if possible.
Damage: [roll1] + Sneak attack: [roll2] + 2 Str

Crit confirm if attack roll is 15+: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

From above (assuming the cave is tall enough), her shadow attacks the same devil.
Incorporeal touch attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] Str

~~~~~~~~~~~~
If, on his turn, Llian hits the devil without killing it, Kiera makes an attack of opportunity.
Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] + Sneak attack: [roll9] + 2 Str

Crit confirm if attack roll is 15+: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Edit: those were some pretty pathetic results for the amount of typing I had to do.

Tyrael
2010-05-08, 02:53 AM
Without a map, I'll just assume I'm in range of the demons.

Martin

The old man draws a slender rapier from a sheath at his belt. Holding it up, he murmurs a few arcane syllables. Suddenly, the weapon shifts and morphs in his hand, the blade hardening and lengthening until he is holding a short bow with a blood-red gem glimmering in the grip. He draws back an arrow and lets it fly.

Move Action: Draw Swordbow, converting it to Bow mode.
Standard Action: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (Fiendslayer Crystal)

sacreddeamon
2010-05-08, 08:55 AM
As the fell magics course through Thokk and freeze him in place, he imagines the visage of his Goddess, drawing strength from her power. Calling upon her might, he breaks the binding spell holding him in place

Arrrahh! You can't hold back the word of the Goddess!"

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-08, 10:40 AM
Armand shakes off the magical influence one of the devil threw on him. With a grin, he cracks his neck and lifts his falchion up in front of him.

“That…was a mistake…”

His hands tighten around the hilt of his falchion and his grin curves into a brutal grimace.

“But only because you failed.”

He flourishes his blade as he lets raw fury flow through him.

“You’re…going…to…REGRET…FAILING! IN THE NAME OF TISHTINA BINDAR, I’LL RIP YOU TO SHREDS!”

Armand will enter a rage as a free action. And, even though I KNOW this is a terrible idea…I will assume I am in range of at least one of them for a full attack. Armand will move to one that is as approaching him and unleash a full attack at it. Urgh…hrmm…power attack for…::sigh::…let’s risk it. 4. ::wince::

1st Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If crit (1st Attack):
[roll3]
[roll4]

2nd Attack:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

If crit (2nd Attack):
[roll8]
[roll9]

3rd Attack:
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

If crit (3rd Attack):
[roll13]
[roll14]

I am so going to regret this…

Statblock:

HP: 162/162 (+26 temp)
AC: 20
Rages: 2/4
Rage Duration: 9 round left

Note for DM:

If by some unholy luck, Armand fells his target, instead of immediately turning to the next, he's going to move so that he can get into charging range on one of them. He only needs ten feet, so let me know if this is possible.

Lorolar
2010-05-08, 02:48 PM
This threat was serious... he couldnt take a devil at this range, so time to put some range between them. Llian takes a step back, mumbles something to himself his breath glowing green and then promptly vanishes.

5ft step backwards and then cast Greater Invisibility.

MikelaC1
2010-05-08, 04:01 PM
As the battle breaks loose in the last cave, pandemonium ensues. Kiera and her incorporeal companion both strike at the barbed devil facing Llian, but are unable to penetrate the fiends defenses.
At that point, the magic of Zanis takes effect, and much to the barbed devil's surprise, he goes floating up to the top of the cave, where he crashes into the roof; as well a blinding flash of light sears his eyes. making him howl in pain.
The devil menacing Olffder scores one claw hit on him for medium damage (15 pts), but the rest of his attacks miss. The devil on Armand is far more successful, scoring 2 hits with his claws (34 pts.). The devil that had been subject to the reverse gravity spell teleports himself to the floor, out of the range of the spell, however he is still stumbling around blindly.
Thokk calls on the power of his goddess, and frees himself from the spell holding him, which consumes all of his action for this round.
Olffder takes a step back from the devil and unleashes his vitriolic chain, he connects with his own, as well as the two others. They take damage, but keep on fighting.
Martin fires two bow shots, but does not succeed in connecting.
Llian takes a step back from the devil even as it flies upward, and casts a spell on himself, he disappears from sight.
Finally, the half orc spots an opening in the barbed devils defenses and connects 3 times with the beast. The hardened hide of the fiend deflects some of the damage but it is still sorely battered, however it stays on its feet. To Armands dismay, as he went for his attacks, he could not avoid suffering multiple stabs from the many barbs protruding from the devil, and takes even more damage (10 pts.)

Next Round
Armand is still engaged with his devil. Olffder is also under seige. The last devil is blindly swiping at whatever comes near it. Those who are not engaged can move to aid anyone, however they must move to do so, and cannot take full round action.

Savannah
2010-05-08, 04:48 PM
Kiera darts past the devil attacking Olffder, stabbing it as she runs, then conceals herself.
(Spring attack, no attack of opportunity from the devil)

Crit confirm if attack is 15+: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Hide: [roll4] and Move silently [roll5]

Her shadow continues to attack the confused devil.
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] Str

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-09, 05:26 PM
For the first time since he’d entered hell, Armand began to bleed. The vicious claw swipes and barbed hide of the beast he was engaged with had certainly done a number on the half orc, even through the haze of his fury. Blood oozed from a number of wounds, but they were ignored as in the haze of absolute rage, Armand attacked again.

Second verse, same as the first. If the target is dropped, Armand will attempt to engage the beast on Offlder.

1st Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If crit (1st Attack):
[roll3]
[roll4]

2nd Attack
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

If crit (2nd Attack):
[roll8]
[roll9]

3rd Attack
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

If crit (3rd Attack):
[roll13]
[roll14]

Statblock:

HP: 150/188 (-26 at end of rage)
Rage Duration: 8 round left

senrath
2010-05-09, 07:02 PM
Grimmacing, Olffder took to the air, flying up to the roof, trying to get out of the range of the devils.

Using my standard action as a move action, so I can rise 20 ft this round. That should put me at the top of the cave.

HP: 84/96
AC: 24, 16 Touch, 20 Flat-footed
DR 3/cold iron

Tyrael
2010-05-09, 07:16 PM
Martin draws back a shot and lets fly at the blindly stumbling demon, then quickly follows it up with another shot.

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4], [roll5]

sacreddeamon
2010-05-10, 09:53 AM
Lysindra! Help your servant in need!

With that, Thokk raises his holy symbol high and calls upon the might of his Deity. In a loud "BAMF" and smoke, a proud creature appears at his side. Part lion, with the wings and head of a great eagle, this griffon seems more majestic, more royal then another of his kind.

Cast Summon Monster V, augmented celestial griffon, +4 str and +4 con

Goldwing! Attack him!

Thokk points at the devil molesting Olffder and the griffon charges straight into the fiend

Goldwing's Attack:

Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Including Smite Attack
Claw 1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Rake 1: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Rake 2: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
EDIT: I forgot to add +2 to each 'to hit' for the charge, so the attacks are instead: 23, 32 (confirm below), 26, 19, 22

Thokk Stats

HP: 181
AC: 31
To Hit: +21 (+23 against Evil Outsiders)
Damage: 1d10+8 (1d10+10+4d6 against Evil Outsiders)

sacreddeamon
2010-05-10, 10:20 AM
Crit Confirm: [roll0]
Crit Damage: [roll1]

nolispe
2010-05-11, 04:29 AM
"Die, weak minded fools."
Casts Friend to Foe.
Zanis laughs hysterically and rises slowly up.

MikelaC1
2010-05-11, 08:54 AM
As the combat continues, blood flows on both sides. Kiera dashes past one devil, stabbing at it. She hits but the tough hide of the fiend deflects all the damage from her sword. Worse still, the pass by her subjects her to the wicked barbs of the devil and she takes a few stab wounds (12 points). Zanis cackles as he casts a spell, the devil attacking Armand is either unaffected or too busy with a current opponent to notice it; he swipes again at Armand and scores another claw hit. (20 points) The blinded devil may or may not be affected, but since it cant see to act, no one is too sure. The devil that was going to attack Olffder however is more than able to see, and rages as it attacks the blinded devil. The devil responds in kind and then both of them grapple each other, wounding each other with their spiky bodies. This damage ends the spell effect on both and they turn back to the party. Thokk calls forth a great golden beast who swipes at one of the devils, wounding it slightly. Olffder casts a spell and rises above the carnage, not wanting to engage a devil hand to hand. Martin’s arrows continue to fly wide of the target, and finally Armand spots an opening. He lays several mighty blows into the devil which collapses into a pile of goo, unfortunately he takes a few more stab wounds in the process (9 points).
You now have two very angry devils, one of which can see, the other cant.

Lorolar
2010-05-11, 03:04 PM
From his hiding spot within his illusions Llian nocks back a fistful of arrows and takes aim..

Use full attack with bow at the nearest devil.
Using rapid shot for another attack at base attack bonus but all attacks take -2.
Shot 1:
to hit [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] bow damage + [roll2] lightning + [roll3] holy
total damage for shot one 12
Shot 2:
to hit [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] bow damage + [roll6] lightning + [roll7] holy
total damage for shot two 14
Shot 3:
to hit [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] bow damage + [roll10] lightning + [roll11] holy
total damage for shot three 25
Shot 4:
to hit [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] bow damage + [roll14] lightning + [roll15] holy
total damage for shot four 16

Savannah
2010-05-11, 04:10 PM
Remaining hidden, Kiera sheaths her rapier and draws her shortbow and nocks an arrow.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-11, 04:24 PM
“HATE…YOUR…FACE!”

Bleeding freely, Armand doesn’t even hesitate as he steps up to the next devil in the line, unleashing another rain of blows on the target.

What else? Five foot step if necessary, full attack on…bah, let’s do it…the blind one. With any luck, A nice solid full attack will make him suffer.

1st Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Crit Confirm/Damage:
[roll3]
[roll4]

2nd Attack:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
Crit Confirm/Damage:
[roll8]
[roll9]

3rd Attack:
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
Crit Confirm/Damage:
[roll13]
[roll14]

Armand Statblock:

HP: 125/188 (-26 at end of rage)
Rage Duration: 7 round left

senrath
2010-05-11, 05:15 PM
Casting his arm at the devils that remained, Olffder let loose yet another bolt of acid.
Vitriolic Chain again. Also, I forgot to roll damage for the last round's acid burn, so I'm rolling it now, alongside this rounds.

[roll0] vs blind devil
[roll1] vs other devil
[roll2] acid damage for blind devil
[roll3] acid damage for other devil
[roll4] damage to blind devil, half to other.

HP: 84/96
AC: 24, 16 Touch, 20 Flat-footed
DR 3/cold iron

sacreddeamon
2010-05-11, 05:26 PM
Ok, I've had enough of this. Lets take em out!

Hefting his axe, Thokk rushes over to the sighted devil, and directs the griffon to help flank Armand by attacking the blinded devil

Thokk Attack

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1] plus [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage 2: [roll4] plus [roll5]
Attack 3: [roll6]
Damage 3: [roll7] plus [roll8]

Goldwing's Attack
Charge into the devil attacking Armand if possible, from a flanking position. If not, only use the bite attack, and subtract 2 from the "To Hit." If he does flank, add +2 to all "To Hit" rolls.
Bite: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Claw 1: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Claw 2: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Rake 1: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16]
Rake 2: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18]

Thokk Stats

HP: 181
AC: 31
To Hit: +21 (+23 against Evil Outsiders)
Damage: 1d10+8 (1d10+10+4d6 against Evil Outsiders)

nolispe
2010-05-12, 02:15 AM
Zanis continues laughing hysterically.
"Die! Die! DIE! Ha ha ha ha!"
Zanis casts chain lightening, hopefully hitting them all.

Tyrael
2010-05-12, 02:14 PM
Martin shakes his head, a trifle disturbed by the bloodlust of his companions. With a sigh, he draws back another two arrows and lets fly. What was the point of rousing oneself to anger over these monsters? They had to be defeated, but that didn't mean one had to take pleasure in it. The old man honestly couldn't understand it.

Attacking the blinded devil.
Full-Round Action: [roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

MikelaC1
2010-05-13, 08:54 AM
The battle with the barbed devils reaches a fevered pitch. Kiera gets ready to loose arrows at the fiends, while Zanis delivers a lightning bolt into their midst, further weakening them. One of them attempts to mount a counter attack against Armand, clawing him viciously twice (28 points), but the other one, still blinded, paws ineffectively at the air. At this point, the combined might of Thokk, Armand, Goldwing, Olffder, Martin and Llian descend on the fiends, reducing them both to bleeding mangled corpses. In the process, all 3 of the melee PCs take damage from the spikes (Armand 10, Thokk 11, Goldwing 12) but the threat is ended as the devils are destroyed. The only remaining in the room is the chest that intrigued the party to enter in the first place.

Tyrael
2010-05-13, 02:10 PM
Martin sighs as he murmurs an arcane syllable, his bow shifting back into a rapier as he sheathes it at his belt again. "Well now, let's see what all the fuss is about, hmm?" he remarks to no one in particular as he creeps over to the chest, inspecting it with the casual air of a professional.

Moving over to the chest and Searching for traps along the way and on the chest itself, Auto-Taking10 from Skill Mastery which gives me a nice even 40 as my Search result. If I find any traps, I disable them (31, AutoTake10), open any locks (26, AutoTake10, swift action via Opening Tap) and open it.

Lorolar
2010-05-13, 02:43 PM
Llian fades back into human sight as the final devil breaths its last, his hands tremble slightly... these devils.. their type had been there. At the village. "I.." he shakes his head slightly to clear his thoughts "Dont you think you should tend the wounded before checking your spoils?"

He walks over to where the various close quarter fighters stand, devils at their feet cold and pooling what passed for blood on the floor around them and took a cursory glance at their injuries. Battle wounds that could take days to mend without magical assitance, he hoped somone here was capable of such a task. "Can anyone here heal through magic? We can ill afford to let nature take its course."

His point made he pulls out a rather sharp looking knife from his backpack and begins sawing a clawed digit from one of the bodies, a reminder and a payback for lives lost.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-13, 04:50 PM
The haze lifts from Armand's eyes and he slumps to the ground, rage dissipating and with it, the driving anger that allowed him to ignore the majority of his wounds. With a long, slow breath, the paladin allowed himself to relax and survey the carnage around him.

"Well, now. They were pokey bastiches, weren't they?" Doing his best to staunch his wounds, he glanced around at his allies.

"Anyone got a way of patching me up? I'm not immortal, you know. Just good-looking."

Heals plz. Armand is at 67/162.

Lorolar
2010-05-13, 05:02 PM
"And the latter is entirely debatable" Llian murmers, the ghost of a smile gracing his face as he finishes his grisly work and stows both his new trophy and his weapons in their appropriate locations on his back.

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-13, 05:03 PM
"And the latter is entirely debatable" Llian murmers, the ghost of a smile gracing his face as he finishes his grisly work and stows both his new trophy and his weapons in their appropriate locations on his back.

Armand totally heard that, but chooses to be the bigger man. Because he is the bigger man.

Tyrael
2010-05-13, 05:19 PM
Llian fades back into human sight as the final devil breaths its last, his hands tremble slightly... these devils.. their type had been there. At the village. "I.." he shakes his head slightly to clear his thoughts "Dont you think you should tend the wounded before checking your spoils?"

The old man glances over his shoulder. "I am a professor of archaeology, not a biological physician," he points out mildly. "Kindly permit me to work within my area of chosen expertise, and I shall allow you similar latitude. Thank you." He sniffs and pushes his spectacles up on his nose, and then turns back to the chest.

Savannah
2010-05-13, 07:40 PM
Kiera puts her bow away and walks over to Armand, smiling slightly at Llian's comment. She pulls a wand out of her pack, "Here, hold still."

Use magic device: [roll0] (DC 20)
If successful: [roll1] hp back for Armand.

"Anyone else?"

MikelaC1
2010-05-13, 09:20 PM
OOC: Okay folks, normally I dont take control of PCs, but this is kind of important, the focus of the whole campaign, as it were

Martin inspects the chest, easily finding and disarming the traps that are on it, and able to spring the lock. When he opens the chest, he sees that Natasha's circlet is indeed there. However, there is something else there as well. Martin sees a superbly crafted and intricately bejewelled greatsword, resting in a gilded scabbard. As he lifts it out to inspect it, a vague memory flickers in his mind, and he looks at the sword again, a look of shock coming over his face.

This, this, this cannot be. This sword, I have no doubt about it, it was known as the Prince's Sword, one of the legendary Crown Jewels of Erandol. But that cant be.....because all of the Crown Jewels were destroyed over 2000 years ago.

Savannah
2010-05-13, 09:29 PM
"I don't suppose that another of the crown jewels was a necklace? Say, the one we were sent after?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-14, 10:32 AM
Armand glances up and grunts, shrugging his shoulders.

"Okay. Annnnd...what? Still bleeding."

senrath
2010-05-14, 10:50 AM
"Well, there are a couple of possibilities." Said Olffder, as he floated down from the ceiling. "The first is that the jewels weren't actually destroyed. And the second is this is just a really, really good imitation. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well, those are just what come to mind."

sacreddeamon
2010-05-14, 07:47 PM
Turning to the Griffon

That is all, Goldwing. Thank you. Lysindra will let you know when you are again needed.

Dismiss Summon Monster V

Turning to the group, Thokk retrieves a wand from his belt. He points it at himself, and allows a cooling green magic to surround him, stitching up wounds sustained by the barbs. Putting the wand away, he comments, "Ah, much better. Armand, you needed some healing as well?

Wand of Cure Light Wounds, Caster Level 1st. Use two charges
[roll0]
[roll1]
Drop Subvert Planar Essence, Cast Cure Critical Wounds on Armand
[roll2]
Drop Death Knell, Cast Cure Moderate Wounds on Armand
[roll3]

Anyone else suffer any injuries?

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-14, 08:25 PM
"Have I mentioned you're my favorite dwarf? Because you are."

MikelaC1
2010-05-14, 08:57 PM
As the party discusses the sword, there is a sudden shimmering in the room, signalling the arrival of someone through a teleport. The party turns, and sees a human coming through the portal, but he is one of the strangest they have ever seen. He is almost impossibly gaunt, skin stretched over bones with nothing else beneath it; the effect is incredibly eerie. He sees that the party has taken the sword, and he shakes his fist at you all
Damn you for taking my prize, you'll pay for this. This isnt over, not by the longest shot, you havent seen the last of me.
Before the party can even react, he casts again, and disappears through another portal. For the rest of the party, its strange enough, but for Llian, its worse. He recognizes the mage.....as Juan Furcan.

nolispe
2010-05-15, 10:19 PM
Zanis has returned to the ground, a beatific smile on his face and his eyes staring blissfully straight ahead.

senrath
2010-05-15, 10:24 PM
"Well, that was odd. Who was that?" Olffder inquired as he stared at the spot the stranger had disappeared from.

Savannah
2010-05-15, 10:46 PM
"Someone we beat to the prize, obviously. But what was the prize? The sword or the necklace?

"Regardless, we can consider this later; we don't want any more unwelcome company. Let's get out of here."

If Martin hasn't picked up the necklace yet, Kiera goes over to the chest and grabs it.

Tyrael
2010-05-15, 10:52 PM
Wait, what necklace? There's only the sword.

Savannah
2010-05-15, 11:07 PM
Wait, what necklace? There's only the sword.

When he opens the chest, he sees that Natasha's circlet is indeed there.

I'm assuming that she meant "necklace", not "circlet", but if that is not the case, then Kiera will pick up the circlet instead.

nolispe
2010-05-18, 01:27 AM
"So, shall we leave this cave? We seem to have obliterated the fiends here, but there is a whole plane of them still out there. Let's go!"

Savannah
2010-05-18, 01:28 AM
"Yes, I think we should leave before anyone else finds us."

Tyrael
2010-05-18, 01:29 AM
Martin nods. "These aren't exactly the best conditions to study what we've found," he agrees. "Let's keep moving. We need to get this back where it belongs."

Savannah
2010-05-18, 01:32 AM
OOC: we've got the necklace. It's the circlet thing in the chest that I picked up:

My bad, Ive been using the term circlet and necklace interchangably, mostly because the item has the power of a circlet (persuasion), but I first called it a necklace. Either way, its the item Natasha sent you to get....the sword is what was causing Zanthia's visions. As you will soon discover...

Tyrael
2010-05-18, 02:23 AM
((Whoops. Edited.))

sacreddeamon
2010-05-18, 09:03 AM
"Well, how important is this sword thingie? Is it crucial that we bring this sword with us, or can we leave it behind? Having somebody pissed off at us because we have 'his' sword isnt exactly a grudge I'm willing to foster, and if he can transport himself this close to it on whim, that's enough reason right there to avoid him."

Thokk starts walking out of the cave, and looks back "Well? Anyone else?"

Lorolar
2010-05-18, 11:32 AM
As the portal yawns closed and the mage makes his exit as abruptly as his entrance an arrow trailing raging sparks almost blinding white in their intensity screams its way through the air before digging no small distance into the rock behind where he had just dissapeared. Following the flash of light still almost visibable in its intensity back to the souce the party will see Llian trembling bow still held out before him. His calm, emotionless mask shatters and he collapses to his knees, bow dropped forgotten to his side.

"No..." The situation was inconcievable, unbelievable and far too real. He whispered his disbelief quietly, yet even his own ears were deaf to it.

He is in shock, half a century of hunting, a dozen false trails and deceptions, countless more dissapointments and here he had missed his chance. The arrow jutting out from its hole in the wall a mark of his failure, his failed chance at redemption. It was like having to see them all burn all over again.

"Dammit..." He whispers quietly to himself, which he then follows by pounding the ground with his fist and roaring this time, "DAMMIT!"

Tyrael
2010-05-18, 11:57 AM
Martin glances over at him in puzzlement. "Something wrong?" he asks.