PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paladin mount, how do they meet?

Flail_master
2010-04-19, 12:06 PM
Hey guys i've just been reading the PHB and i realised it doesnt really specify how the mount is met or attained...

does the paladin come across it while adventuring and it happens to be particularly strong and smart and they form a bond?
Does their God send them this mount in aid of their quest?
Do they get to a point where they feel they must meet someone and meet this animal through destiny and immediately bond, the animal realises his purpose and agrees to be taken to the celestial realms and serve as their mount?

... if you couldnt guess the last one is sorta what im thinkin :smalltongue: but not strictly what i think

i was just wondering how everyone else see's it because we just restarted at level 1 because we were doing things horribly wrong and we had too many people, now redused to 5 :), and i am wondering how it would be roleplayed or written into the campaign, we are operating around a foresty area at the moment and the DM has agreed to let me have a lion, i am trying to see how that would be accomplished :smalltongue:

so yeah enough talking, you get the idea i think... thoughts?

MacGiolla
2010-04-19, 12:12 PM
I don't believe that you actually have to meet them. When you reach the appropriate level you just call them from the celestial realm, and they show up ready to do your bidding.

Parvum
2010-04-19, 12:13 PM
Does their God send them this mount in aid of their quest?

Aye, but that's boring. Similar to a druid having nature sending a velociraptor at the right level instead of knocking the boss off of his dinosaur, hopping onto it and biting the bad guys with it. One is more interesting, one follows the rules to the letter. More fun to try and justify it.

denthor
2010-04-19, 12:17 PM
In most of the books at about 5th level there is a mission/quest that must be performed. At the end of the quest you have the right to receive your mount. Which entail another journey with visions.

Yes Paladins are nothing more than American native peoples smoking the great grass in order to get a vision quest to go after there animal companion.

In case you are wondering I can not stand the Paladins.

hamishspence
2010-04-19, 12:20 PM
Maybe the DM could pinch ideas from Heralds of Valdemar- you don't find the mount, the mount finds you.

But then, in those books, the mount was more friend and partner, than minion.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-19, 12:22 PM
Speed dating. [/thread]

Flail_master
2010-04-19, 12:35 PM
Maybe the DM could pinch ideas from Heralds of Valdemar- you don't find the mount, the mount finds you.

But then, in those books, the mount was more friend and partner, than minion.

hmm i like this idea, and thanks for the ideas other guys too

and really? i see them as friends, the only ones who understand the paladins quest and feelings truly

it could also be very interesting to have a lion running through the forests with my character waiting for something, she doesnt know what, and when it emerges she realises what has happened and they become amazing friends :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2010-04-19, 12:37 PM
and really? i see them as friends, the only ones who understand the paladins quest and feelings truly

Herald's Companions fit this very well.

Paladin's mounts, I haven't seen much in the D&D novels that stresses this (maybe because paladin's mounts don't talk to their masters)

Flail_master
2010-04-19, 12:45 PM
Herald's Companions fit this very well.

Paladin's mounts, I haven't seen much in the D&D novels that stresses this (maybe because paladin's mounts don't talk to their masters)

hmm that is true... empathic link only goes so far :smalltongue:

Trekkin
2010-04-19, 01:28 PM
I'm fairly sure mounts don't need any special insight to understand the Paladin's oh-so-sanctimonious mission, but they may need supernatural patience to withstand it.:smallbiggrin:

Fitz10019
2010-04-19, 02:13 PM
Came to say...
I always thought their eyes met across a crowded stable.

Beaten to the quip by...

Speed dating. [/thread]

Although that should be steed dating.

Flail_master
2010-04-19, 02:38 PM
Came to say...
I always thought their eyes met across a crowded stable.

Beaten to the quip by...

Although that should be steed dating.

LOL very much laughed at the image of a lion sitting across from my character in a bar holding a scotch and eying her :smalltongue:

Calmar
2010-04-19, 02:44 PM
Yes Paladins are nothing more than American native peoples smoking the great grass in order to get a vision quest to go after there animal companion.

In case you are wondering I can not stand the Paladins.

Those terrible American native peoples... :smallconfused:

Telonius
2010-04-19, 02:55 PM
Maybe have it be something like a Patronus from the Harry Potter universe, or the daemons from Dark Materials. It's more of a spiritual extension and representation of the individual paladin.

Fitz10019
2010-04-19, 03:34 PM
It could literally be a godsend, and it's attitude should get fiesty when the paladin is displeasing his/her diety.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-19, 03:45 PM
Speed dating. [/thread]

Ok, there are two things I find wrong with this. Both of them make me laugh, but would violate the CoC.

Ok, that last part is LoL-worthy.