PDA

View Full Version : Haley's Father and the Empire of Blood

Bongos
2010-04-20, 05:32 PM
I may be reading into things too much, but I suspect that this fairly recent strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html

especially panel 9, foreshadows the appearance, and hopefully emancipation of Haley's father as a result of this new side quest via the abduction of Haley, editNale I meant Elan and Varsuvius by the bounty hunters.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-20, 06:25 PM
Haley's mother is a Blood Magus!!!! And she wants to kill Nale!!!!

Did I hear something? :smallconfused:

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-20, 06:30 PM
Panel 9? Haley dragging Elan away from Roy and Belkar foreshadows Haley meeting her father?

Penquin47
2010-04-20, 06:49 PM
Not meeting her father, but that WHEN she meets her father, the Lawful types and Evil type won't be around.

Guess who's not around?

Kish
2010-04-20, 06:56 PM
Vaarsuvius? Oh wait.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-20, 07:08 PM
Interesting. V's presence throws a wrench into this theory, but V is often quite oblivious to such matters that she deems as unimportant.

Woodsman
2010-04-20, 07:13 PM
I may be reading into things too much, but I suspect that this fairly recent strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html

especially panel 9, foreshadows the appearance, and hopefully emancipation of Haley's father as a result of this new side quest via the abduction of Haley, Nale and Varsuvius by the bounty hunters.

Erm, you mean Elan, right?

They've confused him for Nale.

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-20, 07:15 PM
look at what the cartographer was saying before they were interupted "you might try asking around in this new place called..."

sadly it dosent give us a name of a contry, but its at least slightly possible she was refering to the empire of blood. *shrugs*

Herald Alberich
2010-04-20, 07:34 PM
Panel 9? Haley dragging Elan away from Roy and Belkar foreshadows Haley meeting her father?

I think the OP is referring to that oft-referenced line from the cartographer about "this new place that's-" something. I myself doubt it's an entire new country. Context says it's probably some new type of tent or gathering location in Sandsedge, since the mapmaker was advising Haley to "ask around" there.

Throwaway line, or will we go back to Sandsedge at some point? Or am I wrong?

Gift Jeraff
2010-04-20, 07:37 PM
look at what the cartographer was saying before they were interupted "you might try asking around in this new place called..."

sadly it dosent give us a name of a contry, but its at least slightly possible she was refering to the empire of blood. *shrugs*
Looking at the map in #698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html), there seems to be a "??" next to Dictatoria. My personal theory is that that is the "new place" mentioned and is under Linear control, especially since it appears to be the smallest nation.

Bongos
2010-04-20, 07:44 PM

yes, that's what I meant. The Giant gave a lot of space to remind everyone that Haley's father was on this continent. And also why she couldn't go looking for him till later. But now she is off on a sidetrack that isn't her doing. Maybe her father is on the other end of the teleport scroll, somewhere?

Bongos
2010-04-20, 07:49 PM
Not meeting her father, but that WHEN she meets her father, the Lawful types and Evil type won't be around.

Guess who's not around?

Oh yeah, good one. I thought it might be fortuitous the it was those 3 together. Particularly with Varsuvius' new found moral regarding loved ones, etc. The real quote is "law and order" types like Roy and Durkon though isn't it?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html

waterpenguin43
2010-04-20, 09:48 PM
My jumbled theories..........

-The empress of blood is a blood magus. She is or Nale/Elan's step mother.
-Nale killed his dad. He then attracted the attention of the twins' step mother. She was also killed by Nale, but she was ressurected, fulfilling the requirements of blood magus.
-She is most likely Lawful Evil; Hence her romance with Tyrannar and association with half-blue dragons.
-The empress changed the name of Tyrannia after her ressurection. She's LE, after all; She craves power.
-She has Haley's dad prisoner......
...Or as a new consort, with him having fell too an evil alignment.

Just some suspicions of mine.

Red XIV
2010-04-20, 11:01 PM
Interesting. V's presence throws a wrench into this theory, but V is often quite oblivious to such matters that she deems as unimportant.
V also already knows about Haley's father.

Remember, in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html), Haley tries to tell Elan several of her secrets in an attempt to cure her aphasia. The second is "My dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator." It was seven secrets after that when she gets to one that, in her words, "even V doesn't know".

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-20, 11:01 PM
the empress probibly dosent have any relaition to the half-bue dragon. he's lust some random bounty hunter looking for some cash.

Bongos
2010-04-24, 11:50 AM
Haley's father was imprisoned by Tyrinar the Bloody (former ruler of Tyrania). Now she is in the Empire of Blood.

I wonder if she is still going to have to pay the ransom. And if so, to whom?

Also since they seem to be currently building the palace, it suggests that this is a new empire; i.e. "maybe that new place". Of course it may just be a new palace...