PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: something besides a gnome

graeylin
2010-04-21, 08:05 AM
i find myself playing a plethora of gnomes lately, and am looking at playing a whisper gnome next, for a total of 3 gnome characters in 4 games. My question is, can i use polymorph any object to change my high level illusionist into a different race, and not loose too much in the process? that would reduce my string of gnomes to just two.

If so, what typical races would make sense? the DM won't go for anything past the most common PC races (pretty much SRD only), and I want to keep the race such that i can walk into towns and taverns and not be spit upon, thrown out, or looked upon with hatred, fear, etc...

Whammydill
2010-04-21, 08:08 AM
Well, what is it about gnomes that draws you to play so many of them? What, racially speaking do you like in your characters?

Edwin
2010-04-21, 08:10 AM
There's a couple of tricks with Polymorph any object, though they are all quite cheesy.

What's wrong with playing a gnome anyway? Also, if you don't want a third gnome for whatever reason, just don't make your new character one. :smallwink:

ghost_warlock
2010-04-21, 11:05 AM
Gray elves are in the SRD. I hear they make decent wizards.

Otherwise, how about going human? Most of us already have plenty of experience with that race so RPing one should be a breeze.

graeylin
2010-04-21, 06:52 PM
not really drawn to them.. i inherited one, the second one i have been shopping the character concept around for years, and it was finally accepted, and the last one I was asked to play the race, as part of the DM's plot...

I don't mind them, they are fine, I just noticed that almost every PC i was playing now was a gnome... and thought that i could change that, at least, for one of them.

Is there any reason not to switch my mage from gnome to grey elf, for example? Do i lose too anything?

Anxe
2010-04-21, 07:15 PM
Centaur's a good thing to polymorph into. Still considered a good race, still has hands, and you get pretty good physical boosts.

Combing through the SRD I came up with a couple other options.
Dryad, Nymph, Sprite (Any of the three), and Treant.

All the ones I found are wood spirits/creatures. They all have better stats and abilities than your average PC race and if you go for one that has less Int or the same Int as your character then the PAO will stick.