PDA

View Full Version : The Big, the Bad, and the horribly Powerful.

Noir-Neko
2010-04-22, 12:21 PM
Greetings everyone,
As a freelance gamer I continuously seek out new and interesting 'things' regardless of where they come from. Presently I'm working to compile a Bestiary of some of the most notable and powerful creatures in the gaming world, though my knowledge of many different RPGs is limited I ask for your assistance in seeking these creatures of considerable power.

Method to my madness: To elaborate, I'm running a game presently, and my players have a limited scope of experience outside of our currant system, thus I'm looking for nastys to fling at them from different systems. Our present system is called "Alternity" Its been some 20 years out of print. It was the original basis for what is now known as the "D20 system". SO feel free to hit me with any creatures (or interesting artifacts) that you've got.

I appreciate any help you can offer me.

DracoDei
2010-04-22, 01:47 PM
In the sticky post at the top of the Homebrew forum you will find a link to a Compendium (of links) that people have been trying to compile. One of the sections is creatures. You also have the homebrewer's extended signature thread (click the last link in my signature, then click to view the larger thread), and Vorpal Tribbles personal thread (can't easily tell you how to find it).

magic_unlocked
2010-04-22, 07:22 PM
I would also suggest that you simply make your own nasties. I'm not sure what the "power level" to your game is, but the Epic Level Handbook is a good second place to start. I particularly like the Hecotoncheirs (hope I spelled that right). CR 57 man...

Noir-Neko
2010-04-22, 08:43 PM
I always begin with my own nastys, though my well of creativity has its limits, so I search elsewhere for inspiration. The creature compendium is a graciously impressive collection. Unfortunately I'd be grasping at straws for what would qualify as a powerful creature. Until today I had not heard of a "Tarasque"(sp?) nore would I have picked the name out of a list to begin with. It would be like sifting sand a grain at a time. Though it does provide a considerable resource in many areas. Thank you very much, its a great area to investigate.

"Epic Level Handbook" Is that the proper title? What system does it hail from? Sounds useful.

My games ultimately have few barriers, and presently I'm hunting for the most powerful creatures I can find.

demidracolich
2010-04-22, 08:48 PM
Yep, right title, not sure if its 3.0 or 3.5 though. Not that much difference on monsters however so it shouldn't really matter.

demidracolich
2010-04-22, 08:50 PM
By the way, the tarrasque is a basically unkillable colossal monster that has huge amounts od dr, sr, and reflect most spells. 48HD and basically the only way to make it stay dead after you've killed it is wish.

Forever Curious
2010-04-22, 09:17 PM
I always begin with my own nastys, though my well of creativity has its limits, so I search elsewhere for inspiration. The creature compendium is a graciously impressive collection. Unfortunately I'd be grasping at straws for what would qualify as a powerful creature. Until today I had not heard of a "Tarasque"(sp?) nore would I have picked the name out of a list to begin with. It would be like sifting sand a grain at a time. Though it does provide a considerable resource in many areas. Thank you very much, its a great area to investigate.

"Epic Level Handbook" Is that the proper title? What system does it hail from? Sounds useful.

My games ultimately have few barriers, and presently I'm hunting for the most powerful creatures I can find.

It is indeed the proper title. It's from Dungeons and Dragons 3.0...although I'm not sure it has creatures. Haven't read it in a while.

The Tarasque (another Dungeons and Dragons creature) is designed to be insanely difficult to kill: resistance to pretty much all forms of attack and the abilit to reflect/deflect spells. It's quite nasty.

The Tygre
2010-04-22, 10:09 PM
Find UpperKrust's Immortal's Handbook: Bestiary. The beasties in there have CRs over 9000.

That's not me being cute or anything, either. There's really a golem in there made out of the compressed hearts of dead stars. It's final CR really does clock out to a little bit over 9,000.

magic_unlocked
2010-05-06, 07:05 PM
It is indeed the proper title. It's from Dungeons and Dragons 3.0...although I'm not sure it has creatures. Haven't read it in a while.

The Tarasque (another Dungeons and Dragons creature) is designed to be insanely difficult to kill: resistance to pretty much all forms of attack and the abilit to reflect/deflect spells. It's quite nasty.

Yeah, it has creatures in it, really nasty ones that have some of the Tarrasque's immunities. However, it is 3.0e and not 3.5e, the difference is in the DR and energy resistances and other such minor things.

DracoDei
2010-05-06, 09:08 PM
CR stands for Challenge Rating and is how you sort monsters by how powerful they are in D&D. That should make it easier than sorting sand a grain at a time I should think... although might still have to open each page still, you only need to look at one number.

magic_unlocked
2010-05-08, 02:58 AM
Indeed, one number, CR in this case, is better than trying to look for everything all at once.

Pronounceable
2010-05-08, 06:42 AM
You can also get inspiration from various game bosses. Legion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAecLj8GWPk), which is quite self explanatory and could easily be inserted into any kind of game, springs to mind. Then there's the good ol Cyberdemon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilsr-2o2T_U&feature=related).

You can find a near infinite number of game bosses and their videos on the net.

magic_unlocked
2010-05-08, 02:57 PM
That you can. Pretty much all game bosses and monsters can be used. The only problem I foresee is that you have to convert these critters into your system.