PDA

View Full Version : Invoker: base class (p.e.a.c.h.)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-04-24, 08:35 PM
Hello! I'm working on this idea that was given to me and just trying to work out a few kinks. . . let me know what you think. This is a very rough draft at this point.

The Invoker: Forged by arcane gods seeking an answer to their lack of paladins, the invoker is the strong arm of the arcane gods. Driven by goals more in line with the thinking of the gods of magic the Invoker is driven to seek out magic in the world and either ally himself with it or seize it for those more worthy of such power. It is the arcane path for those who revere magic, but lack the natural talent. Granted innate abilities in the arcane by their god, Invokers blend spell-like abilities with martial prowess to become warriors for the gods of magic.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special |Invocations
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Invocations, Armored invoker (light/medium), Channeled invocation |1
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Bonus Fighter feat, Invokers Blade 1/day| 2
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Familiar, Bonus essence invocation| 2
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Channeled Armor 1/day| 3
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Bonus fighter feat| 3
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +5 | | 4
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Invokers blade 2/day, Channeled Armor 2/day|4
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Bonus fighter feat| 5
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Bonus essence invocation| 5
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Armored Invoker (heavy), Channel armor 3/day|6
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Bonus fighter feat| 7
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +8 |Invokers Blade 3/day|7
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Channeled Armor 4/day| 8
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +9 |Bonus fighter feat| 8
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +9 |SR 10 + class level| 9
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Channeled armor 5/day| 10
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +6 | +10 | Invokers blade 4/day, Bonus fighter feat| 10
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Bonus essence invocation.|11
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +11 | channeled armor 6/day | 11
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Bonus Fighter feat, SR 20+class level| 12
[/table]

Alignment: Must be within one step of patron arcane deity.

Proficiencies: Invokers are proficient with light and medium armor and all simple and martial weapons.

Hit Dice: d10

Skill Points: 4+ int

Class Skills: Concentration, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Spellcraft.

Invocations: An invoker gains invocations known as a warlock. They may take standard invocations and essence invocations but they may not take blast shape invocations. An Invokers DC’s for their invocations are based on their Constitution score.

Bonus fighter feat: at 2nd level and every 3 levels therafter an Invoker gains a bonus feat of the fighter list. Their fighter level is counted as their invoker level -2 for the purpose of qualifying for feats with restrictions.

Channeled Invocation: An Invoker with at least one essence invocations may choose to channel the essence invocation into his weapon once per round. If an Invoker has more than one attack per round the channeled invocation only effects the first attack. Channeling an invocation is done as part of the attack and does not provoke any attacks of opportunity. If the attack is successfull the declared invocation effects the target, they may mak saves as normal against the invocation.

Armored Invoker: An Invoker can cast any of his invocations while wear light or medium armor without any chance of failure. At 10th level they may wear heavy armor without chance of spell failure.

Invokers Blade: At 2nd level an Invoker gains the use of a special ability that allows him to strike with more force then he would normally be able to. Empowered by the strength of their god they may add a number of d6's of Arcane damage to their attack equal to their Invoker level. The use of Invokers Blade requires a full attack action and only applies to melee attacks. The additional damage applies to the first attack if the invoker has multiple attacks per round. It can be used in conjunction with the channeled invocation ability granted by this class. Because the damage dealt is arcane SR does apply. an invokers caster level is equal to their invoker level and their levels in any class that stacks for the purposes of determining invocations. The invoker gains additional uses of this ability every 5 levels.

Bonus essence invocation: at 3rd, 9th, and 18th the Invoker learns one extra invocation as though they had taken the extra invocation feat. This ONLY applies to essence invocations.

Channeled armor: At 4th level the invoker gains the ability to channel an invocation into their armor. For each time per day that an invoker can channel their armor they may charge their armor with an invocation. The first time they are hit in melee by an attacker, the armor discharges the invocation on the attacker. Any essence invocation can be channeled and the effects triggered always act as though the invoker had cast the invocation as an immediate action. Channeling ones armor is a standard action that doesnot provoke attacks of oportunity and the charge lasts 24 hours or until discharged whichever is first. Only one invocation can be charged at a given time. they gain an additonal daily use of this ability at 7th 10th 13th 16th and 19th levels.

SR: At 15th the Invoker gains SR10 plus their class level. At 20th this becomes SR20+ Invoker level

Jarrick
2010-04-24, 09:10 PM
I really really like this class. Like, I'm-gonna-copy-it-down-and-show-it-to-my-group-on-thursday like it. I think that the only thing this could use is some kind of "Eldritch Smite" ability to deal extra damage. Maybe like hideous blow with the warlock's eldritch blast damage? maybe that's too much... I dunno.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 09:33 PM

you DO know that a class called "the Invoker" has already been made? only in 4E?

Jarrick
2010-04-24, 09:55 PM
*headdesk*

Why am I not surprised? :smallannoyed:

Are they similar?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-04-24, 10:27 PM
I really really like this class. Like, I'm-gonna-copy-it-down-and-show-it-to-my-group-on-thursday like it. I think that the only thing this could use is some kind of "Eldritch Smite" ability to deal extra damage. Maybe like hideous blow with the warlock's eldritch blast damage? maybe that's too much... I dunno.

Thank you. I like it too. I thought of a smite like ability, then realized that it might make it too powerfull. Its pretty powerfull already if you use the correct blend of essence invocation and normal invocation. The defensive armor ability was my alternative, rather than making it more offensive.

you DO know that a class called "the Invoker" has already been made? only in 4E?

never played 4E. . . the name really isnt that important, i figured i'd think of somthing more original later, after i worked the kinks out.

Johanas
2010-04-24, 10:31 PM
I like it. I'll definitely play this one.

Mongoose87
2010-04-24, 10:31 PM
Well, Invocations certainly solve the old "I cast Fly and kill the fighter with Magi Missiles" issue.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 10:42 PM
*headdesk*

Why am I not surprised? :smallannoyed:

Are they similar?

actually....they are kinda opposites

your invoker:
frontline arcane fighter
casts arcane spells like how a cleric casts spells

4E invoker:
behind the lines divine wizard controller type of thing
casts divine spells like how a wizard casts spells

they probably couldn't be more different, but they do both use light/medium armor.

just letting you know that the name is taken....

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-04-24, 10:46 PM
actually....they are kinda opposites

your invoker:
frontline arcane fighter
casts arcane spells like how a cleric casts spells

4E invoker:
behind the lines divine wizard controller type of thing
casts divine spells like how a wizard casts spells

they probably couldn't be more different, but they do both use light/medium armor.

just letting you know that the name is taken....

hmm. Meh it's taken in 4e. mine is 3.5 lol

Jarrick
2010-04-24, 11:04 PM

hear hear! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 11:08 PM

*facepalms*

Fable Wright
2010-04-24, 11:38 PM
Frankly, 4.0 has such limited flexibility, no honest-to-alignment homebrewer would actually touch it.
also, set charge of 4.0ers. I get an attack of opportunity, plus bonus to hit and damage. Do not attempt. Please.

On an unrelated sidenote, 8 hours of reading order of the stick can make one picture a normal conversation like a D&D game.

arguskos
2010-04-25, 12:38 AM
Hmm. I have a suggestion. I note that they lack Eldritch Blast, which I agree with. However, I'd like to see them gain a "Eldritch Weapon", so to speak.

What do you think of the following ability, gained at level 1:

Invoked Blade: An invoker learns a unique invocation, a martial Eldritch Blast in a respect. At 1st level, an invoker learns how to create an eldritch weapon for a single attack action (permitting this ability to be used on a full attack, on an AoO, etc). This eldritch weapon deals 1d8 slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage (as the invoker chooses when invoked), plus +1d6 damage per 3 class levels after 1st. The invoker may use essence invocations with this weapon.

Now, I know it'd need you to shuffle some stuff around/delete stuff, but I think it's a lot more thematic and useful for the class than Channel Invocation is (though that's good, unless you go this route). Just a thought.

Overall, it looks good, and is surprisingly simple. It's actually impressive we've not seen someone do this before now, given how simple and clean the concept is. Good work.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-04-25, 10:21 AM
Hmm. I have a suggestion. I note that they lack Eldritch Blast, which I agree with. However, I'd like to see them gain a "Eldritch Weapon", so to speak.

What do you think of the following ability, gained at level 1:

Now, I know it'd need you to shuffle some stuff around/delete stuff, but I think it's a lot more thematic and useful for the class than Channel Invocation is (though that's good, unless you go this route). Just a thought.

Overall, it looks good, and is surprisingly simple. It's actually impressive we've not seen someone do this before now, given how simple and clean the concept is. Good work.

I actually thought of that originally, just giving them a neat alternative to eldritch blast. Then I got myself worried that it would be too much like a focused warlock using eldritch glaive a whole bunch, and a little to remnicent of a soul knife. i may have been over thinking that. . . opinion?

Another consideration is that I also wanted to keep the loot concept a part of this class. As is they can upgrade their armor and their sword as much as they want and all their abilities still work. If they have a weapon class feature they wont care if they get a super awesome weapon from the horde of that dragon they killed, or whatever.

What I'm hearing so far is the need to do a little more damage with the weapon of theirs. Therefore I have adjusted the class accordingly. I removed energy resistance and gave them instead the Invokers blade ability