PDA

View Full Version : House Rule: Droids as Characters (SWR)

Nohbdi
2010-04-26, 10:09 AM
While the Star Wars RPG Revised Edition has rules in place for allowing PCs to run droids as characters, these rules seem to only cover ‘stock’ units, and seem somewhat lacking even in that. With this in mind, I present the following additions to the ‘standard’ rules for creating Droid PCs.

(Keep in mind that, unless specifically stated otherwise, all standard rules for characters – and for droid PCs – still apply. Also, DM’s permission is MANDATORY for using any part of this set of House Rules.)

Core Abilities: PCs wishing to start with a ‘modified’ Droid PC (I.E. something other than an ‘off-the-shelf’ unit from the Core or Expansion Rulebooks) may, with the DM’s permission, modify the ability-scores of their droid. Three accepted variants for assigning abilities are listed as follows. (In all three cases, use the DM’s standard means of assigning stats to determine the droid’s abilities.)

* The droid’s CPU is modified or replaced with a non-standardized unit, either from another off-the-shelf droid style or from a cobbled-together system. Physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution) remain unchanged, but mental scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) may be altered. Point-Buy System: Subtract the value of the standard Physical scores from the available point-buy pool; redistribute the remaining points as desired. Dice Roll System: Roll as normal for Mental ability scores.

* The droid’s chassis has been heavily modified, down to the structural frame; CPU remains unmodified. Physical ability scores may be altered, but mental scores other than Charisma remain unchanged. If the droid is modified from a non-combat style of chassis to a combat style of chassis, the Droid receives a -2 penalty to all Charisma-based rolls other than Intimidation. Point-Buy System: Subtract the value of the standard Mental scores from the available point-buy pool; redistribute the remaining points as desired. Dice Roll System: Roll as normal for Physical ability scores.

* The droid is an amalgam of multiple styles and systems, cobbled together from scraps or so heavily modified that its original type is almost impossible to determine. Assign all ability scores as per normal character generation rules. -2 to all Charisma-based rolls other than Intimidation. Point-Buy System: Assign all ability scores as per normal character generation rules. Dice Roll System: Roll as normal for all ability scores.

Mobility and Manipulation: All PC droid characters are expected to have some form of mobility, whether via legs, wheels, treads, wings or repulsorlifts; otherwise, as with the standard rules-set, they cannot be used as Player Characters. Likewise, all PC droid characters are expected to be able to manipulate their environment in some measure, whether with claws, hands or similar manipulators. PCs wishing to start with non-standard means of either (E.G. an R2 unit with a pair of protocol-droid arms, or an EG-8 worker droid with heavy treads) require DM’s permission to make the modification, and unless authorized by the DM, such alterations can only be made with non-military-grade equipment. Modified parts may only be taken from droids of the same Size category or one removed (I.E. a Small droid can use parts from a Tiny to a Medium droid).

Issued Gear: For campaigns or adventures where the PCs are issued standard starting-gear, the droid character may choose one of the following accepted variant options for each separate piece of gear, with DM’s approval. Any or all options may be chosen, but only one option may be picked for each individual piece of equipment.

* Equipment is installed in the droid’s chassis. Droid PC pays the cost for the appropriate mount (Weapon, Tool, etc.) only.

* Equivalent droid-style upgrade or component is installed in the droid, in place of the standard equipment. DM has final say on what is and is not equivalent to each piece of gear.

* Equipment is carried by the droid in a pouch or other equivalent carrying device, and is not installed directly into the droid. No alterations required, although the equipment does not gain any of the advantages (or disadvantages) of installed systems.

Moofaa
2010-04-26, 06:21 PM
Interesting rules, I am working on a sci-fi setting that uses the non-jedi classes (modified to fit the setting). I decided to include droids as a playable race and might take a new look at the existing rules.

Myself I just created a few more "standard models" with different stats. It has the added advantage of keeping control over character generation but your method has the advantage of customization.

I kept away from dealing with different mobility types, mainly because of the added headache when a droid character with heavy treads needs to sqeeze through a narrow passage or climb down a ladder.