PDA

View Full Version : Kobold naming conventions

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-27, 06:51 PM
So, what came first, Yikyik or Pun-Pun?

It'd be nice to think that this comic started that name, but I wonder if Rich got the idea to name the Kobolds in this way because of Pun-Pun.

Just an amusing thought. Makes me wonder what the Oracle's name is...

Silencer
2010-04-28, 12:52 PM
Seisei? Y'know, like "soothsay".

Hobs
2010-04-28, 08:50 PM
so the naming convention I used for Kobolds was that male kobolds had no vowels, and female kobolds had no consonants.

i had two, a savage warrior named Snkkt, and a sorcerer that liked the teleport/dimension door spells named Bmf,

Zeta Kai
2010-04-28, 09:39 PM
so the naming convention I used for Kobolds was that male kobolds had no vowels, and female kobolds had no consonants.

i had two, a savage warrior named Snkkt, and a sorcerer that liked the teleport/dimension door spells named Bmf,

Did you have a blaster sorcerer name Sklps?

Or a telepath named EaEy?

A gish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78721) named Klsss? :smallwink:

shadowkiller
2010-04-28, 09:48 PM
I think that Yikyik came before Pun-Pun, as the first reference to Yikyik is in 2004 and the first reference to Pun-Pun (that I can find) is in 2005.

Hobs that is an awesome naming convention but how do you pronounce the ones without vowels, that would seem difficult.

Cealocanth
2010-04-28, 09:54 PM
Hobs, your naming convention works, but I can't see practical use for it, especially when an adventuring party is talking to a kilbold commoner and he introduces himself as "Pkcrckkvt" I just can't pronounce that the same way every time.

My naming convention is that names sound "heavy on Ks." They need to sound hard and insectoid to work right. So instead of "Pkcrckkvt" it's "Prakkit!" (yes, it's spelled with an exclamation point.)

Hobs
2010-04-29, 01:03 PM
Hobs, your naming convention works, but I can't see practical use for it, especially when an adventuring party is talking to a kilbold commoner and he introduces himself as "Pkcrckkvt" I just can't pronounce that the same way every time.

My naming convention is that names sound "heavy on Ks." They need to sound hard and insectoid to work right. So instead of "Pkcrckkvt" it's "Prakkit!" (yes, it's spelled with an exclamation point.)

well snkkt and bmf were based on x-men sound effects.

bmf was prounounced like bamf
snkkt prounounced like snicked

if you keep them short enough, the are workable. it's been a while now, but other ones included a-o, chrpr, e-a

Cizak
2010-04-29, 01:43 PM
I think that Yikyik came before Pun-Pun, as the first reference to Yikyik is in 2004 and the first reference to Pun-Pun (that I can find) is in 2005.

Canyou please link to the reference of Pun-Pun? I can't remember this at all.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-29, 02:05 PM
Just made a Kobold character who was called Lee-Chee. Completely forgot about Yik-Yik and Pun-Pun until I saw a linked comic.

shadowkiller
2010-04-29, 04:41 PM
Canyou please link to the reference of Pun-Pun? I can't remember this at all.

I think this might be the first reference or very close to it: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character_EVER