PDA

View Full Version : The Fleshcrafter (3.5, PEACH)

Realms of Chaos
2010-04-28, 04:26 PM
The Fleshcrafter

“I have all that I need right here.”
-Rilk “Zippers” Merris, Fleshcrafter

Hit Dice: d6
Alignment: Any
Class Skills: Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcane) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at each additional level: 2 + Int modifier
Starting Age: As Rogue
Starting Gold: As Wizard

FLESHCRAFTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maximum Spell Level

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Crafter’s Form, Fleshcrafting|
--

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Mystic Fleshcraft (1 item) |
1st

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Engorged Fleshcraft 1/day|
1st

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Mystic Fleshcraft (2 items) |
1st

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Fortitude of Flesh I|
2nd

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Mystic Fleshcraft (3 items) |
2nd

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Engorged Fleshcraft 2/day|
2nd

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+2|Mystic Fleshcraft (4 items) |
3rd

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+3|Fortitude of Flesh II|
3rd

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+3|Mystic Fleshcraft (5 items) |
3rd

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+3|Engorged Fleshcraft 3/day|
4th

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+4|Mystic Fleshcraft (6 items) |
4th

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+4|Fortitude of Flesh III|
4th

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+4|Mystic Fleshcraft (7 items) |
5th

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+5|Engorged Fleshcraft 4/day|
5th

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Mystic Fleshcraft (8 items) |
5th

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Fortitude of Flesh IV|
6th

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Mystic Fleshcraft (9 items) |
6th

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Engorged Fleshcraft 5/day|
6th

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Fleshcraft Master, Mystic Fleshcraft (10 items) |
7th[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You gain proficiency with all simple weapons and light armor. You also gain proficiency with any weapon, armor, or shield that you fleshcraft (see below).

Fleshcrafting (Ex): As a flesh crafter, your greatest strength is your ability to adapt to new situations by crafting items from your very flesh, viscera, and bone. Creating such an item requires a move action. Dismissing such an item requires a swift action and requires that you be in physical contact with its unbroken form. All fleshcraft items last until dismissed or until the start of the next day, whichever comes first.
At any given time, you may possess up to 2 active fleshcrafted items/level. Items that are broken, expended, or consumed during this time cannot be replaced until the next day, however. Similarly, partially consumed items (such as a half-used disguise kit or torch used for half an hour) may not be replaced until the next day. No item created can be worth more than 50 gp x your class level squared.
All items that you create must be of a size category smaller than your own and weigh no more than half of your weight at the time of creation (but see Enlarged Craft, below). Whenever you fleshcraft an item, subtract its weight from your own until it is dismissed or until the start of the next day, whichever comes first.
You can fleshcraft nearly any item within those limitations, even creating masterwork items, alchemic items, and imitating the properties of rare materials. All such items, however, are obviously formed from your own body. As such, fleshcraft items can imitate the qualities of gold or diamonds but can’t be sold as such or used as such for the purposes of material components or foci.
You can create incomplete items (such as making a bow’s string, making a dose of acid without a container, or making a single bite of trail rations) for an item’s full price (unless a price for the incomplete item exists) but you may not create multiple items with a single use (like making two or more doses of acid in a vial or a quiver with arrows in it) unless they are normally sold together (such as with most skill kits or most ammunition). Items without a listed GP value, such as magma, fire, air, and antimatter, cannot be created through this ability. You must also be aware of the existence of a particular item before you can create it using this ability.
You must have a free hand to fleshcraft, depositing the item into your hand. You can’t fleshcraft while wearing medium or heavy non-fleshcrafted armor.

Crafter’s Form (Ex): Your body has been twisted and warped by your chosen profession. The seeping scars and open wounds through which your withdraw tools has left you inured to pain. Subtract your class level from any nonlethal damage you take.
Furthermore, your body is filled with redundant muscles, organs, bones, and layers of flesh, allowing you to function normally regardless of what body parts you use in your fleshcraft. As a result, you have a 5% chance/class level of negating extra damage dealt by a sneak attack or critical hit.
Lastly, your body quickly regenerates any body parts that you remove due to fleshcraftng, replacing them by the start of the next day. As a result, you heal naturally at twice the normal rate. Unfortunately, body parts removed due to other effects are not restored.

Mystic Fleshcraft: Starting at 2nd level, you can fleshcraft a limited number of magical items. At any given time, you may possess up to one such magical item/2 levels. A destroyed, dispelled, consumed, or expended item can’t be replaced until the next day. Furthermore, partially consumed items (such as a charged item with any missing charges or an item with uses per day that has had any of its uses expended) cannot be replaced until the next day. No Item created in this way can be worth more than 500 gp x your class level\
You learn two spells from any spell list of any spell level up to the maximum listed on the table above at each level, starting at 2nd level. Although you cannot cast these spells, you cannot fleshcraft items that require other spells. You ignore all other requirements for creating magic items, however, and automatically succeed on all Use Magic Device checks made with your fleshcrafted items. Magic items created through this ability don’t count towards your normal limit of 2 fleshcrafted items/level. This ability cannot be used to craft constructs.
Creating a magical item in this way requires a full-round action rather than the normal move action for other fleshcraft items. Other than as described above, items fleshcrafted in this way use the same rules and restrictions for normal fleshcrafted items.
When using your fleshcrafting class feature, you could similarly decide to craft a magical item instead. Doing so, however, reduces the maximum value of the item to one tenth of its normal value (5 gp x class level squared).

Engorged Fleshcraft: Starting at 3rd level, you can use the mystical energies you hold to enlarge a fleshcraft item as you extract it. When you use your fleshcrafting or mystic fleshcraft to create an item, you may activate this ability as a swift action. If you do, the resulting item you create can be large enough to occupy up to one 5-foot cube/level and weigh up to 200 pounds/level. Furthermore, you subtract nothing from your weight for creating the item as it can originate from very small scraps of viscera. For every size category larger than medium you are, multiply the maximum weight by eight and increase the diameter of each cube by 5 feet.
At least one square that the item occupies must be adjacent to you and the created item and trying to create the item into any occupied squares causes the fleshcrafting to fail and the daily use of this ability to be wasted. You may use this ability 1/day at 3rd level and one additional time per day every 4 levels afterwards.

Fortitude of Flesh (Ex): Starting at 5th level, you begin to gain total mastery over your flesh, making both your and your fleshcrafted items more resilient. You no longer need to eat or drink to survive and the DCs of Strength checks made to break your fleshcrafted items are increased by your class level.
Starting at 9th level, you no longer require sleep or meditation and all of your fleshcrafted items gain additional hit points equal to twice your class level.
Starting at 13th level, you gain immunity to poison and disease and the hardness of your fleshcrafted items is increased by your class level.
Starting at 17th level, you no longer need to breathe to survive and any of your magical fleshcrafted items that are dispelled regain their function 1d4 hours later.

Fleshcraft Master (Ex): At 20th level, you become a true master of your chosen skill, mastering your flesh and the tools you create from it. You cease to age and cannot be magically aged. Furthermore, you may fleshcraft an item three times per day as an immediate action.

Notes: Yeah, this is pretty much a class that does nothing but give you a couple immunities and hand you 900,000 gp of items (800,000 of which is in the form of 40 mundane/alchemic items).
I put on a whole bunch of restrictions but things are still a bit tricky. Most of the problems that still exist with the class are merely issues of the item creation process. Making custom items is more of a problem here than ever and broken expendable items (dust of choking and sneezing, I believe it’s called) could be theoretically created every day. Unlike normal crafters which require time and concentration to make items, plans that a DM could interfere, this guy needs no materials and next to no time. A fleshcrafter says he’s making a magic item and the DM must state definitively at that moment whether it happens or not.
I’ve hopefully removed the worst of the cheese (until somebody pulls out a very obscure third-party source with prices for antimatter and magma) but I want to see if anything else is wrong with it (other than normally banned items and problems that exist more with the crafting system than the class).

Oh, and if this class makes incarnum cry itself to sleep, that was fully intentional.

In-game descriptions:
Yeah. I probably shouldn’t have to say this but I’m not taking any chances here. When describing how this character does his/her thing, it is very easy for descriptions to slip into being just plain nauseating or gore for the sake of gore. That said, there are three main ways to describe what a fleshcrafter does, listed below in descending order of grossness:

1. Describe not only what body part the fleshcrafter intends to use as the item but how it is transformed into a suitable form and (possibly) the details of the organ’s extraction. This type of description is good for provoking visceral responses from people, if used sparingly. This is good for DMs introducing fleshcrafters as villains to a (mature) group. When using a clinical tone and choice of words, this might also be appropriate for a player every now and then.

2. Simply say what organ the fleshcrafter uses as the desired tool. Telling a player that they are being whacked over the head with their assailant’s spine simply isn’t that gross. In fact, this type of description can be downright comical at times. This type of description is best suited for DMs not trying to gross out characters and for most PCs. If a player’s description doesn’t make sense, they may (possibly) be asked to provide a clinical #1 description.

3. As there is no mechanical benefit or downside to using any given body part, simply say what tool is produced. This one is really a bit confusing when used by the DM but is perfect for players (especially ones that the DM doesn’t trust the maturity of).

*Note: the above class is not in any way an attempt to bash or promote masochistic or sado-masochistic tendencies.

Sydonai
2010-04-29, 12:06 PM
Was this inspired by the Tzimisce?

Ashtagon
2010-04-29, 01:01 PM
The simplest way to avoid dust of sneezing and choking and cheese is to simply declare that any alchemical item (items that require Craft (alchemy) to craft normally) may only be fleshcrafted under the limits of mystic fleshcraft.

I'd make a single specific exception for that: acids could be fleshcrafted as conventional mundane items, since the human body contains a supply of surprisingly strong acids.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-29, 01:03 PM
"The Zipper?" What is that?! A veiled Silence of the Lambs reference?!

DueceEsMachine
2010-04-29, 01:08 PM
While it could be very entertaining, the class is very... disturbing at the same time.

Here's a question - are the effects produced by magical items they create permanent? If say, Marvelous pigments (in this case, I don't want to think of the various fluids) are created, the effect that it creates - would that be made permanent? If so, it would be extremely powerful, essentially gaining the ability to create just about anything you can think of, permanently.

Just something that came to mind.

The Tygre
2010-04-29, 03:45 PM
Are 0-level spells included on the spells list?

Jair Barik
2010-04-29, 03:47 PM
Influenced by the FleshWarper PrC from LoM I presume?

Milskidasith
2010-04-29, 03:51 PM
This is incredibly weak... it's the soulknife problem.

Realms of Chaos
2010-04-30, 12:28 AM
This class was inspired by neither the Tzimisce (who've I never heard of) nor the Fleshwarper (which slipped my mind at the time).

Ashtagon: The dust in queston is not alchemic, unfortunately. It is a full-blown magical item.

~Luckybonedice~: Not a reference to silence of the lambs, actually (I never saw it, oddly). I just named the guy that as I can picture a man covered from head to toe in flesh-zippers from which he reaches in and claims his fleshcraft items. :smallbiggrin:

DueceEsMachine: Very good expendable items are very good when used on a renewable basis. If you're willing to dedicate one of your magic item "slots" to making a permanent item rather than one of your more plentiful mundane "slots" to make a temporary version, it seems fair that you get to keep it.

The Tygre: The class does say that you can select spells up to the indicated level so 0 levels are available.

Miskidasith: Thanks for pointing that out. I often forget that the casting abilities of a wizard (not counting boosts from magic items) are worth about 200 k in scrolls.
That said, I altered mystic fleshcraft so that you can use your normal fleshcrafting "slots" to make low-value magic items, increasing the potential value of all magical items you can create to 180 k, a less than crippling amount.
The class still has its deal of problems (delayed spell access, limited spell selection, and the conundrum of either crafting items earlier and risking a dispel or crafting the on the spot as a full-round action) but it shouldn't be quite as terrible.

Sydonai
2010-04-30, 01:24 AM
Clan Tzimisce is from "Vampire: The Masquerade", their unique power is called Vicissitude/"Fleshcraft".

Primal Fury
2010-04-30, 08:02 PM
Eh. This is a bit boring. "I can make items from my flesh". Eh. :smallfrown:

I have quite a few ideas as to how this can be made totally friggin awesome, though, if you're willing to hear them. And yes, it does draw heavily from Vicissitude.

You know what? I don't even need to tell you my ideas. Just go here (http://www.patman.org/wod/disciplines/vicissitude.asp). :smallbiggrin:

Realms of Chaos
2010-05-01, 03:14 PM
Yeah, this class was made to Macguyver his way out of everything, admittedly not the most exciting playstyle in the world.

My next work will hopefully be more interesting and balanced than this spawn of blah I created on a whim.

The Tygre
2010-05-02, 01:52 AM
The Tygre: The class does say that you can select spells up to the indicated level so 0 levels are available.

So they can learn an infinite amount of 0 lvl. spells?

Realms of Chaos
2010-05-02, 07:34 PM
Not unlimited. You are still restricted to 2 spells per level. My original version of the class let you learn more spells by devouring the remains of casters but I decided to cut that out at the last minute.