PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Master (3.5 base class, P.E.A.C.H.)

Tao the Ninja
2010-04-29, 07:03 PM
"I fought the Dark Mage Oog's demonic army with this blade. You think you can stop it?"

-Tao the Ninja, Katana Master

Weapon Masters are really good with one kind of weapon. They are also fast and can use the power of the Sublime Way.

HD: d10

Skills (6+Int/level): Balance, Cimb, Concentration, Craft(any), Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Proficient with light and medium armor, light and heavy shields (but not tower shields), simple and martial weapons, and his favored weapon (see below)

Alignment: Any

Starting Gold: As Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Mnvs Readied|Mnvs Known|Stances
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Favored Weapon, Focus|3|4|1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Skirmish +1d6|3|4|1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Fast Movement 10|3|5|1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Specialization, Evasion|4|5|1

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Skirmish +1d6/+1|4|6|2

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2||4|6|2

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Uncanny Dodge|4|7|2

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Greater Focus, Skirmish +2d6/+1|5|7|2

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3||5|8|3

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Mettle|5|8|3

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Fast Movement 20, Skirmish +2d6/+2 |5|9|3

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Greater Specialization|5|9|3

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Improved Evasion|6|10|4

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Skirmish +3d6/+2|6|10|4

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Mastery|6|11|4

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Improved Uncanny Dodge|6|11|4

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Skirmish +3d6/+3|6|12|5

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Supremacy|6|12|5

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Fast Movement 30, |7|13|5

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Skirmish +4d6/+3|7|13|5[/table]

Maneuvers: A Weapon Master may learn maneuvers from 4 different schools, chosen at first level. He recovers all his expended maneuvers at the end of an encounter or when he deals at least 2 points of damage/character level in one attack with his favored weapon(see below).

Favored Weapon: A Weapon Master chooses one type of melee weapon to be a weapon that he focuses in above all other weapons. He gains free Exotic Weapon Proficiency with his favored weapon, if applicable.

Focus: A Weapon Master gains Weapon Focus for his favored weapon as a bonus feat.

Skirmish: As scout (Complete Adventurer).

Fast Movement: As Barbarian, but with the amount of speed boost as indicated on the table.

Evasion: At 4nd level and higher, a Weapon Master can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If s/he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Weapon Master is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Weapon Master does not gain the benefit of evasion. .

Specialization: A Weapon Master gains Weapon Specialization for his favored weapon as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 7th level, a Weapon Master can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if s/he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a rogue already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Greater Focus: A Weapon Master gains Greater Weapon Focus for his favored weapon as a bonus feat.

Mettle: See Complete Warrior.

Greater Specialization: A Weapon Master gains Greater Weapon Specialization for his favored weapon as a bonus feat.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the Weapon Master still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Weapon Master does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Mastery: A Weapon Master gains Weapon Mastery for his favored weapon's type as a bonus feat.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: A Weapon Master of 16th level or higher can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Supremacy:A Weapon Master gains Weapon Supremacy for his favored weapon as a bonus feat.

Rauthiss
2010-04-29, 08:24 PM
If I may be completely frank, your class seems... unpolished. It's typical to write up abilities word-for-word from the books or copy-paste from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org); saying "as a barbarian" feels unprofessional. In addition, the lack of original abilities feels amateur, if you'll excuse me saying it - it honestly feels to me like you just flipped through some sourcebooks and took what looks good. I would suggest looking at some of the other base classes here on the forum to get a better sense of the style of posting here - It'll make the class look much more professional, and that's always good.

As for the class itself, I like the concept. However, you seem to be missing some basic things - For instance, where are your proficiencies?

I'm sure this will be a wonderful class once you're finished, it just needs polish. Feel free to ask if you need help - That's why we have a forum! :smallsmile:

Siosilvar
2010-04-29, 09:07 PM
Seems pretty good, though there are no original abilities and the recovery mechanic is laughably easy (2 points of damage per level with a weapon? Wizards can almost hit that).

There's really nothing here that would encourage me to take this over, say, a Warblade or Swordsage, even if I wanted the fast movement. Free discipline choice is nice, though.

Tao the Ninja
2010-04-30, 06:31 PM
If I may be completely frank, your class seems... unpolished. It's typical to write up abilities word-for-word from the books or copy-paste from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org); saying "as a barbarian" feels unprofessional. In addition, the lack of original abilities feels amateur, if you'll excuse me saying it - it honestly feels to me like you just flipped through some sourcebooks and took what looks good. I would suggest looking at some of the other base classes here on the forum to get a better sense of the style of posting here - It'll make the class look much more professional, and that's always good.

As for the class itself, I like the concept. However, you seem to be missing some basic things - For instance, where are your proficiencies?

I'm sure this will be a wonderful class once you're finished, it just needs polish. Feel free to ask if you need help - That's why we have a forum! :smallsmile:

Thanks for the input. I fixed most of the minor stuff (as can be expected with a melee class, proficiencies are simple and martial). To tell you the truth, the reason for most of my homebrew is because I want to play it and am looking more for balance input. Of course, i now realize that my problem could be fixed with the creation of 2 feats...

Sublime Hunter
Prerequisites: Skirmish +1d6/+1, Weapon Aptitude
Effect: Your Scout and Warblade levels stack for your Skirmish power and effective fighter level (i.e. scout+warblade-2)

Versatile Initiator
Prerequisites: First Level, Initiator Level 1
Effect: You lose knowledge of 2 disciplines your class usually knows and gains knowledge of one your class usually does not know.