PDA

View Full Version : I need to watch a good movie!!!

Bothi
2010-04-30, 05:40 PM
I am a movie fanatict and I need to watch a good movie, Im getting tired of watching all these new movies over and over. Any suggestions?

Johel
2010-04-30, 05:46 PM
City of Ember
While not great, I liked the general feel of it.

Mathis
2010-04-30, 05:47 PM
May I be the first to guide you to the Recommend me a movie thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149726&highlight=recommend). Perhaps you will find something you think is interesting there.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-30, 06:16 PM
I am a movie fanatict and I need to watch a good movie, Im getting tired of watching all these new movies over and over. Any suggestions?

What kind of good?

Extraordinarily pretty? Try watching Hero or The Fall.

British light black comedy? Try Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.

Screwy pseudo philosophical oddness? I heart Huckabees.

The Rose Dragon
2010-04-30, 06:29 PM
I will suggest Once Upon a Time in America, the original cut - not the butchered American theater release. You will know it's the original cut if it's somewhere along 4 hours long. Most people sadly seem to watch the American cut and thus do not appreciate how masterful this movie is.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-30, 06:31 PM
Once upon a time in Mexico was enjoyable too. If ridiculous.

Also Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia. That is a great film.

Felixaar
2010-04-30, 06:34 PM
I'm going to go against the intelligent, cultured feel of this thread by reccomending my favourite movie of all time.

http://akua1978.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/undercover_brother.jpg

Yeah, yeah. Sue me.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-30, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna sue you downtown Felix. Down the town.

But you've reminded me of a film that I wanted to see, but can no longer remember the name of... a parody of the blacksploitation films in the 70s/80s with ... dynamite in the name or something? It looked like fun.

Edit: Black Dynamite! That's it. Gonna try and watch that one. Looks highly amusing.

PJ the Epic
2010-04-30, 07:29 PM
Dr. Strangelove. That is all.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-30, 08:29 PM
Hogfather!

Dr. Bath
2010-04-30, 08:35 PM
Wasn't that a short series? Fairly sure that was a short series. Played over the weekends surrounding Easter a few years ago.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-30, 08:35 PM
The Great Mouse Detective.
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.
Ghostbusters.
Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
Support Your Local Gunfighter.
Support Your Local Sheriff.
Kelly's Heroes.
Arsenic and Old Lace.

I think I'm going backwards in time.

RandomNPC
2010-04-30, 08:42 PM
Hogfather!

this.

and it was a movie, they just spread it out on TV because its that freakin long. witch is to say i didn't think it was to long, but the networks did.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-30, 08:48 PM
It was made to be shown in two parts on television. Each part is a full length movie.

Keld Denar
2010-04-30, 08:50 PM
Edit: Black Dynamite! That's it. Gonna try and watch that one. Looks highly amusing.

I went to a premere of this movie in Seattle. The director and star (Micheal Jai White) were there and answered questions after the film. I guess they made the whole thing for only like, $2.2 million. Pretty amazing. Really a good movie with some lovable one-liners that would make Bruce Campbell proud. Official Trailer (http://www.blackdynamitemovie.com/)

"I am smiling"

For even more fun, you could play the Black Dynamite drinking game.

Every time someone says "Jive", drink.
Every time someone repeats what the narator just said, drink.

That alone will make it the best night ever. If you are really thirsty, you could just drink every time someone says Black Dynamite. Don't combine with the above 2, or you might die.

Better get a big pitcher of water before the movie starts, though, you're gonna need it!

TheFirstStraw
2010-04-30, 08:53 PM
Aliens (good for all occasions)
Willow (before an age where CG ruined little people dancing)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (If you want to watch an oldy)
Joe Versus The Volcano (A closely guarded secret of awesome)
Le Grand Chef (if you like subtitles)
Barbarella (anything else)

The Bushranger
2010-04-30, 08:55 PM
The Fifth Element.
:smallbiggrin:

Kuma Da
2010-04-30, 09:01 PM
In no particular order: die hard, adaptation, seven samurai, citizen kane, dogma, where the wild things are, the protector, black sheep.

Bothi
2010-04-30, 10:34 PM
That is a truly great movie, I have it on dvd, but I have a question... WHY HAS NO ONE SAID THE MATRIX?! T he first Matrix ties for best with A Knights Tale.

Cealocanth
2010-04-30, 10:40 PM
It all depends on your standards but have you tried finding a really old movie? There is a whole host of classics out there that never get bad (like Citizen Cane, The Great Dictator, or (much newer) Jaws.)

As far as underdog movies go I suggest Armageddon. I watch Contact every once in a while. The Road to Eldorado makes a good animated one.

[Ooh, nice suggestion. Shaun of the Dead is a nice choice. +the Alien series, first and second are good. Matrix is a nice one too. [Raiders of the Lost Ark? Anything with translated Shakespere is a nice entertaining one.] I could just keep going on with movies forever but tell me what you choose ok?]

Bothi
2010-04-30, 10:47 PM
I've seen some of those but Eldorado sounds familiar, wasn't that a poem by E.A.Poe?

chiasaur11
2010-04-30, 11:47 PM
Yes, it shares a name, but that movie ain't a Poe piece. Avoid.

Lessee. Some favorites

Casablanca. Bogart's best.
Aliens, as mentioned above.
Moon, recent, excellent scientifiction. Like a great Twilight Zone made into a movie.
Anything by Pixar, especially WALL-E. Best animated film ever.
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen (Great WWII films. Not exactly historically accurate, but good.)
Serenity.
Monty Python films. Geek essentials.

And that should be a start.

Brewdude
2010-05-01, 01:22 AM
Time to do a Jon Cusack binge.

16 Candles
The Sure Thing
Better Off Dead
Stand By Me
One Crazy Summer
Say Anything
And THEN watch "Hot Tub Time Machine"

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-05-01, 01:27 AM
Stranger Than Fiction never lets me down.

Anasazi
2010-05-01, 01:35 AM
Time to do a Jon Cusack binge.

16 Candles
The Sure Thing
Better Off Dead
Stand By Me
One Crazy Summer
Say Anything
And THEN watch "Hot Tub Time Machine"

You forgot Grosse Pointe Blank.

also, non Cusack films include:
Donnie Darko
V for Vendetta
Rear Window (the original 1954 version)
The man who knew too little
Spies like Us
Top Gun
Orange County
Big Fish
The Hangover
High Society

Sithis
2010-05-01, 09:37 AM
I don't know if it would count as one of those "new movies," but Children of Men is always something I'd recommend. If nothing else, for the brilliant cinematography.

I loves me some long shots.

shadow_archmagi
2010-05-01, 11:30 AM
I'll second Black Dynamite. I had really low expectations for it after hearing about it and looking at the trailer picture without actually playing it

Then I saw it

Oh god. It was the most movie

chiasaur11
2010-05-01, 11:36 AM
I'll second Black Dynamite. I had really low expectations for it after hearing about it and looking at the trailer picture without actually playing it

Then I saw it

Oh god. It was the most movie

I need to see that.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-01, 11:41 AM
I forgot Amadeus and Pi as movies every sane person should watch at least once. Go watch them.

leafman
2010-05-01, 12:51 PM
Any Clint Eastwood Western
Robin Hood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102797/) (Fortified with Uma Thurman, and is Kevin Costner free :smallwink:)
The Fisher King

Sir Enigma
2010-05-01, 01:53 PM
I really enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption and Twelve Angry Men.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-01, 02:18 PM
Original Star Wars trilogy. 'nuff said.

Dr. Bath
2010-05-01, 05:15 PM
I can attest that Black Dynamite is in fact fantastic. Greatest film of all time. Not really. I'm lying.

Otogi
2010-05-01, 05:28 PM
I can attest that Black Dynamite is in fact fantastic. Greatest film of all time. No really. I'm totally attesting to it's greatness.

o hai, i fix 4 u!!1! :smallbiggrin:

Just kidding, but it does look pretty awesome.

Matar
2010-05-01, 05:51 PM
Hrm. Great movies?

Try...

Man Bites Dog.
Happiness
The Girl Next Door.
American Psycho.
Pi.
Dark City.
The Machinist.

All are really good freaking movies.