PDA

View Full Version : [UV] Paranoia chat

wojonatior
2010-05-01, 08:57 PM
First off, if you are anything below ultraviolet clearance, go kill yourself, and don't come back with your next clone.

Now that we have the formalities out of the way, I was wondering about anybody else's experiences with Paranoia. I have Gm'ed a game or 2 recently, and I was playing 5e I think... I have heard that xp is pretty good.

Well, share your stories, maniacal plots, horrible experiences, etc.

Doc Roc
2010-05-01, 08:59 PM
In my Paranoia games, I like to force the players to play savage worlds or burning wheel, in game, and then recurse into a setting and system I find more enjoyable. In fact, the ToS live chat has run a couple of paranoia games with this actual premise.

Swordgleam
2010-05-01, 10:18 PM
I have paranoia xp, and it's a lot of fun. You need a certain kind of DM. There's a lot of silliness - for example, a Blue train with Red around the doors and Red spots on the floors. Our characters all made checks to jump from Red spot to Red spot until we were far enough back that we all had a place to stand. One guy failed and the train AI yelled at him, then told bad jokes for the rest of the trip. We all laughed uproariously, because Happiness Is Mandatory.

Gralamin
2010-05-01, 10:27 PM
In my Paranoia games, I like to force the players to play savage worlds or burning wheel, in game, and then recurse into a setting and system I find more enjoyable. In fact, the ToS live chat has run a couple of paranoia games with this actual premise.

Makes it a lot easier to change the rules on your players. "Are you saying that Friend Computer is cheating? Please report to the nearest elimination booth, you commie-mutant-traitor."

I don't have much experience with Paranoia, but it is a fun little game.

Kurald Galain
2010-05-02, 06:32 AM
I love the game. However, I fail to see how "XP is very good", considering that the average adventure has at least a 200% PC Death Rate :smallwink:

Praise The Computer!

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-02, 11:44 AM
I like XP because it doesn't force you into slapstick loony-toon-esque death scenes that apparently don't matter because your next clone shows up a few minutes later nor does it force you into the horrifying distopia that the world of Paranoia would actually be if one had to live in it.

Everything is fairly well laid-out and there is humor or horror to be had where you wish it.

It's good because it's a little more flexible than previous versions and requires less making-up-the-rules by the GM. Of course, Friend Computer interprets the rules in the way most beneficial to the players and it would be treasonous to suggest otherwise.

obnoxious
sig

Kurald Galain
2010-05-02, 11:59 AM
Oh, wait a sec. You were talking about "Paranoia XP", since renamed to just "Paranoia", and not about the concept of XP (experience points) within the game of Paranoia, is that correct?

Swordgleam
2010-05-02, 01:19 PM
Yup. Paranoia XP is a version of the game with three modes: Zap, Classic and Straight. Straight is "horrific noir dystopia." Zap is, "Commie mutant traitor! You're dead!" every three seconds. Classic is a mix between the two, and what my group plays.