PDA

View Full Version : 4e Monster Creation Contest Thread!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-02, 06:56 PM
All the recent contest threads inspired me to make my own! This one is 4e so it probably won't get very many contestants but it's worth a shot. My 3 favorites (with the creator's permission) will be in the 4e setting I'm making which will be presented on these very forums!!! The Deadline is may 30th.

Anyway, the rules:

Rules

1. You will be creating an original D&D creature. Preferably one that can fit into a planar campaign.

2. The entry must include name, physical description, complete stat-block, some basic background information, and combat tactics. A plot hook is encouraged. Incomplete entries will be disqualified upon the deadline. Multiple variations and categories will be encouraged.

3. Monsters must be 4e edition.

4. Post all entries on this thread. Do not post comments or conversation here.

5. One entry per participant. No double-teaming.

6. Entries copied from some other source (splatbook, alternate website, etc) will be disqualified.

7. No reserving posts. Feel free to post a creature and tweak it, but you have to have the basic beast already done.

The Statblock:

(Name) / lv (roll)
(size) (origin) (type) / xp
Initiative Senses
Hp Bloodied
Ac For Ref Will
Speed

[power]

[power]

Alignment Languages
Str Dex Con Int Wiz Cha
Skills

Hints for Winning
1 Low lv elites and solos will be slightly favored
2 Planar monsters will be favored
3 Aberrant monsters will be slightly favored
4 Higher-level monsters should do lots of damage

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-05, 12:18 AM
This looks interesting, but I have a few questions.

1. What is the level range you're looking for?
2. What sort of flavor? Do you have a specific theme in mind?
3. By "multiple variations and categories," do you mean different types of the same creature, in the way that there are multiple types of Giant (Earth, Storm, etc.) and different variations on those within the subcategories?

Other than that, I think I might have an idea, and I'm glad to see some 4e contests.

:smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-05, 06:29 PM
Any level leaning slightly towards paragon-tier, planar monsters are the best.

Ps. Due to an extreme shortage of low-level elite and solo monsters those will also be favored.

Pps. I think the setting will be called "Rift-Hoppers" and the title is self-explanatory.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-05, 06:31 PM
3. By "multiple variations and categories," do you mean different types of the same creature, in the way that there are multiple types of Giant (Earth, Storm, etc.) and different variations on those within the subcategories?
:smallbiggrin:

Both. :smallwink:

Lateral
2010-05-05, 07:35 PM
Hmm. I think I had something brewing in the back of my computer, let me try to dig it out.

Ah, here we are. Two, in fact.

Thraz'Kun, the Ur-Aberrant:
Name: Thraz'Kun, the Ur-Aberrant

Gargantuan Aberrant Magical Beast

Level 35 Solo (Blind) (His combat tendencies lie somewhere in between artillery, brute, and controller, so he's hard to place.)

XP: Umm... I dunno. There's a chart somewhere, but I cant find it.

Initiative: +30

Senses: Perception +34, Blindsight

Annihilation Storm: Aura 7. Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura is subject to an attack: +33 vs. fortitude, the target is pushed 4 squares in a random direction away from Thraz'Kun and takes ongoing 20 damage (save ends); see also Annihilator. You cannot be the target of this effect more than once at a time.

Horrific Aura: Aura 20. Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura is subject to an attack: +34 vs. Will, the target is affected as if by a frightful presence. This effect can affect creatures any number of times, but the attack roll penalties don't stack and the attack roll for this aura gets a cumulative -1 against that creature every time it hits them.

HP 1,000, Bloodied 500; see also Not of this World and Chaotic Elder.
(Alright, I admit it. I got the idea for this and some power names from MTG. Gotta problem with that?)

AC 55, Fort 50, Reflex 56, Will X. (Thraz'Kun is immune to effects that target Will.

Immune necrotic, cold, thunder; Resist 5 radiant, 15 variable (3/encounter).

Saving Throws +5, 2 action points.

Speed fly 6 (hover), teleport 10.

Far Claw: Melee (minor 1/round, at-will.) Reach 4, +37 vs. AC,
Will finish.

Yakk
2010-05-06, 01:14 PM
[SNIP]

I was going to finish this, but I really don't need the aggravation.

/bye thread.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-07, 09:29 AM
Summoned Firefly -- level 6 tiny solo skirmisher (1250 XP)
Aura 1: Fire resistance lowered by 5, and 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends both)
Fly 8 (Hover)
HP 240
AC 20 Fort 16 Reflex 20 Will 19
Resist: Melee 10 Fire 15 Radiant 10 Cold 5
Standard
(M) Burn: +9 vs Fortitude, 1d12+6 fire damage, fire resistance lowered by 5 and 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends both)
Move
Skitter: recharge 56. Shift 8 spaces, making a Burn attack against each creature adjacent to the firefly during the shift.
Minor
Burning Terrain: 1/round. The Fireflies square and adjacent squares become hindering terrain until the end of the encounter. Creatures that start their turn there take 5 fire damage.

Wild Firefly -- level 14 tiny elite skirmisher (2000 XP)
Aura 2: 10 ongoing damage and fire resistance lowered by 10 (save ends both)
Fly 10 (Hover)
HP 250
AC 28 Fort 24 Reflex 28 Will 27
Resist: Melee 15 Fire 20 Radiant 15 Cold 10
Standard
(M) Burn +17 vs Fortitude, 2d6+7 fire and fire resistance lowered by 10 and 10 ongoing fire damage (save ends both)
Skitter: At-will. Shift 10 spaces, making a Burn attack against each creature adjacent to the Firefly during the shift
Minor
Burning Terrain: 1/round. The Fireflies square and adjacent squares become hindering terrain until the end of the encounter. Creatures that start their turn there take 10 fire damage.

Tactics: Fireflies are attracted by movement. They ignore creatures who do not act (but will Burn them if they get close). They prefer to attack targets who move, and then targets who attack them, and then targets who have them marked, and finally targets who make any attack.

I'll polish this in a later post.

Please add fluff or have a 0% chance of getting picked.