PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly wizard

therebel
2010-05-03, 06:36 AM
well i am making a back up character for my new campaign that we play every thursday. and i want it to be based on a hillbilly. i thought this would be funny and offective. i was going to give him a double berral shotgun and a riding dog. but he can cast spells like a wizard. any questions or things that might help me in this character?:smallbiggrin:

onthetown
2010-05-03, 06:40 AM
Give him Fireball. Watch 'dem city-slickers burn. We got fiah, ma! YEEEEEEHAW!

My knowledge of hillbillies is loosely based on the Dukes of Hazzard (series, not movie) and the Beverly Hillbillies.

The mud-shaping spells like Stone to Mud and Mud to Stone, and the one that actually shapes it (I forget what it's called...) would help a farmer/hillbilly with lots of things. Also, you wanna be trappin' 'dem darn varmints so's they don't get inta yer grubs. So basically, transmutations.

Greenish
2010-05-03, 06:57 AM
Mystic Ranger with Sword of Arcane Order: all the hills your billy might want (including but not limited to ranged weapon proficiencies and an animal companion), though much weaker casting.

therebel
2010-05-03, 07:11 AM
Mystic Ranger with Sword of Arcane Order: all the hills your billy might want (including but not limited to ranged weapon proficiencies and an animal companion), though much weaker casting.

well i was just thinking maybe i should just give him profincey with a dwarven rifle and call the rifle a souble berral. the swords a nice touch but i dont think hill billys carry swords haha

therebel
2010-05-03, 07:12 AM
Give him Fireball. Watch 'dem city-slickers burn. We got fiah, ma! YEEEEEEHAW!

My knowledge of hillbillies is loosely based on the Dukes of Hazzard (series, not movie) and the Beverly Hillbillies.

The mud-shaping spells like Stone to Mud and Mud to Stone, and the one that actually shapes it (I forget what it's called...) would help a farmer/hillbilly with lots of things. Also, you wanna be trappin' 'dem darn varmints so's they don't get inta yer grubs. So basically, transmutations.

haha sounds like a plan to me i might give him a hatchet too, for the city slickers who lay down with my daughter

Greenish
2010-05-03, 07:20 AM
well i was just thinking maybe i should just give him profincey with a dwarven rifle and call the rifle a souble berral. the swords a nice touch but i dont think hill billys carry swords haha"Sword of the Arcane Order" is a feat that lets your ranger to cast spells from wiz/sorc list. Mystic Ranger AFC gives you 0-5th level spells (as opposed to ranger's usual 1-4th level selection).

onthetown
2010-05-03, 08:42 PM
haha sounds like a plan to me i might give him a hatchet too, for the city slickers who lay down with my daughter

Hatchets don't kill people; dads with pretty daughters kill people.

Shhhh!
2010-05-03, 11:41 PM

No, Son, Ya'll gonna git that sonofagit tied up and marry them PROPER like. Ya'll gotcha a Shotty, yeah? Also...this is a wonderfully offensive, but potent idea. No-one, and I do mean no-one, will expect a hilljack to whip out wizard casting. "Oh, That Farmer Joe's harmless, He only done married four o' his gels off to they babydaddies!" and in saunters Farmer Joe, beard a' bristling, suspenders a' hangin', and he holds up a hand and says "This here be Bhattt Guh Ah no, Bohys. And I do declare that it's mighty cold in this heyah Room."

Mastikator
2010-05-03, 11:51 PM
One of the key points about stereotypical hillbillies is that they're poorly educated. And all of the class features, and in fact, entire concept about wizard is that they depend entirely on their education. Knowledge is everything, everything else is nothing.

So make him a sorcerer.

gbprime
2010-05-04, 12:05 AM
So make him a sorcerer.

But THAT requires charisma. So make sure he has a toothbrush. Or better yet a TEETH brush.

And don't forget to stock up on the spells with great mis-quotable names.

"Defenny... defennystraightenin'... uh... we'll call it Upsy Daisy."

mabriss lethe
2010-05-04, 01:30 AM
Oh god. It's one of the Bole Brothers from the Malazan books.

You really want the Rod of Many Wands. It's basically your magical equivalent to a sawed off shotgun. load it up with a trio of fireball wands and go to town.

Just remember. "Cousin's is fer practicin'"

TheMadLinguist
2010-05-04, 02:14 AM
But THAT requires charisma. So make sure he has a toothbrush. Or better yet a TEETH brush.

And don't forget to stock up on the spells with great mis-quotable names.

"Defenny... defennystraightenin'... uh... we'll call it Upsy Daisy."

hey, charisma ain't all about bein' pretti. charisma is bein' able to tell ole Jed to get his ass in gear and get the town milita togetha tah kick out them elven bustards

The Tygre
2010-05-04, 02:28 AM
First and foremost; what do you know about actual witches and magic in the Appalachias or the Rockies or wherever?

Raging Gene Ray
2010-05-04, 06:40 AM
Maybe make him an Artificer. Replace the animal companion with some sort of construct (Robot Riding Boar?) and maybe some of the Wand-Blasting feats so he can have a wand of Maximized Fireball, a wand of Maximized Chain Missile...

I can imagine an angry dwarf Dual-Wielding wands and blasting them randomly while ranting about them razzum-frazzum varmints.

Telonius
2010-05-04, 06:55 AM
Maybe make him an Artificer. Replace the animal companion with some sort of construct (Robot Riding Boar?) and maybe some of the Wand-Blasting feats so he can have a wand of Maximized Fireball, a wand of Maximized Chain Missile...

I can imagine an angry dwarf Dual-Wielding wands and blasting them randomly while ranting about them razzum-frazzum varmints.

Artificer sounds right to me. He can have immobile construct shells in his yard, that he'll get around to fixing someday. Artisan Bonus is perfect for those "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" moments.

megabyter5
2010-05-04, 07:06 AM
One of the key points about stereotypical hillbillies is that they're poorly educated. And all of the class features, and in fact, entire concept about wizard is that they depend entirely on their education. Knowledge is everything, everything else is nothing.

So make him a sorcerer.

Not all hillbillies are uneducated. He should be like the engineer from team fortress 2, but with less eee-recting dispensahs and more fahrballs.

Hal
2010-05-04, 08:14 AM
He definitely needs Brew Potion. What sort of hillbilly can't make moonshine?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 08:16 AM
hey, charisma ain't all about bein' pretti. charisma is bein' able to tell ole Jed to get his ass in gear and get the town milita togetha tah kick out them elven bustards
Damn tootin'.

Eorran
2010-05-04, 08:31 AM
Gotta vote Artificer. It just seems right.

"If your working TV sits on top of your non-working TV..."

"If you've ever mowed your front lawn and found a car..."

"Your wife has ever said, "Come move this transmission so I can take a bath..."

... you might be a redneck.

Yeah, and he needs a potion still out in the back 40.

Also, this campaign needs Boss Hawg, or else sinister ATF agents.:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-05-04, 08:32 AM
Also, this campaign needs Boss Hawg, or else sinister ATF agents.:smallbiggrin:

I suggest the MTA agents in Shackled City. :smallbiggrin:

Remember, though, hillbilly is a subset of redneck. Jed Clampett is distinct from Jeff Foxworthy. More Hatfields and McCoys, than Dukes.

Tyrmatt
2010-05-04, 11:37 AM
Mustrum Ridcully anyone?
The utter epitome of country bumpkin wizardry in my mind.
Assuming you can stick the loss of caster level, take a level of ranger with Favoured Enemy(Critters) and then stack on the wizard on top of that.

Greenish
2010-05-04, 11:39 AM
Mustrum Ridcully anyone?
The utter epitome of country bumpkin wizardry in my mind.He's more of an outdoorsy English gentleman (even if he grew up in Lancre).

ArlEammon
2010-05-04, 11:44 AM
The Hillbilly wizard should have a spell that creates oil underground.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-05-04, 01:00 PM
I am actually offended! I'm a certified redneck, and all I hear is hillbilly jokes.

hamishspence
2010-05-04, 02:01 PM
I like the notion of the "hillbillyness" being primarily upbringing- this guy is as smart as any other wizard, but he draws upon his heritage in order to ensure he's underestimated.

A bit like Nanny Ogg in Discworld. Everybody's favorite granny- but with formidable magic powers and a mind to match.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-05-04, 02:07 PM
I like the notion of the "hillbillyness" being primarily upbringing- this guy is as smart as any other wizard, but he draws upon his heritage in order to ensure he's underestimated.

A bit like Nanny Ogg in Discworld. Everybody's favorite granny- but with formidable magic powers and a mind to match.

Or any of the baddies from Stragner's Wrath (Greatest Oddworld Game Eva!)

I actually suggest Warmage for this one. Shotty with say any blast spell?

Toliudar
2010-05-04, 02:22 PM
First and foremost; what do you know about actual witches and magic in the Appalachias or the Rockies or wherever?

Since we're dealing with transplanting commonly-understood comedy stereotypes into a fantasy setting, rather than grounding a character in a rich and vivid cultural milieu, it probably doesn't matter. I'm going to assume this is going to be more Jed Clampett, less Orson Scott Card.

onthetown
2010-05-04, 02:32 PM
I agree with Brew Potion. Gonna have to get your DM to think of a potion that's the equivalent to moonshine.

hamishspence
2010-05-04, 02:44 PM
Potion of confusion?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 02:55 PM
Potion of confusion?
In clay jugs with an XXX?:smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-04, 03:07 PM
Potion of Confusion, Potion of Bull's Strength, and Potion of Bear's Endurance, combined with the Potion Miscibility rules with the automatic "all potions take effect at full strength" result.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 03:10 PM
Potion of Confusion, Potion of Bull's Strength, and Potion of Bear's Endurance, combined with the Potion Miscibility rules with the automatic "all potions take effect at full strength" result.
Or a DC 20 Craft: Alchemy check to make Moonshine.:smallwink:

mostlyharmful
2010-05-04, 03:16 PM
take a fort save or have adverse effects, 20% discount on the cost of 'brewing'. The save increases with level and it should come along with effects hard enough to knock a fighter of his arse.

Plus you can have a Feat with it.

Takes his Liquer.
Pre-req +2 Fort Save
+1 to all Fort Saves
+4 to moonshine rolls
Characters with this feat tend to be alcoholic or to have high scores in Perform (Banjo)

The Tygre
2010-05-04, 03:46 PM
Since we're dealing with transplanting commonly-understood comedy stereotypes into a fantasy setting, rather than grounding a character in a rich and vivid cultural milieu, it probably doesn't matter. I'm going to assume this is going to be more Jed Clampett, less Orson Scott Card.

Eh, true. This is more of a selfish opportunity for me to lecture on old witch doctors and haint summonin'. Heh. I'm just think about talking arcane in Hillbilly;

"Now son, there's yer first problem. You're done summonin' that boogie all wrong, boy. Ya' know what happens' when ye summon wrong boy? Baalurs, that's a' what. An' I ain't pullin' yur ass outta dat fire, I tell ya. Let's star over; ya' gotchur candles lit n' straight, thas a start. But that there's the circle of Iggiwilv, not the circle of Mordikainen. Them and candles n' that circle mix together like moonshine n' rye. Planur whatsits are gonna' be chasin' n' hollerin' to and fro and tryin' to flow thru ya', and then ah'll be tellin' your ma why lil' Billy is a talkin' lump of ig-no-ray-mous."