PDA

View Full Version : Solo Game - Angels and Devils

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 11:07 AM
Fluff:

The geography (what I already had)

It's a massive island, surrounded by lava (why not? Water's boring, anyways), with a huge pit in the centre, that nobody's ever got to the bottom of, as they often never come back out of the pit.

The North is where civilization is starting to establish itself, where most cities are independent, with many alliances, some of which are starting to create true countries. The North has a temperate climate, and many rivers and lakes, and is the main source of food and water to the rest of the island.

The East, however, is desert, but has many ancient ruins around it. There aren't many settlements there, but the kobolds have many expansive lairs there, as there are many minerals under the sands. Gnomes have also started to settle, generally around the ruins, as they investigate. These settlements attract many mercenaries, as the gnomes always need protection, and the settlements are often places of conflict, as the ruins have many secrets, and they seem to mostly be bad. For the gnomes, at least.

The Central Zone is mostly uninhabited by humanoids, as it is the realm of the aberrations. Huge Illithid cities have been reported by the few who return from there with their minds intact, and many phasms have been reported to have spread out of the Zone. It is reported to be very changeable, with an area being a forest one day, and a lake the next. The only settlements there are sparse research camps, with the largest by the Pit, which is theorized to be the cause of the strangeness of the Central Zone. However, many have not been heard from for weeks.

The West is a huge forest, mostly unexplored, even by the inhabitants, who stay near the edges of the forest. It is where most of the variety in natural life is found, with animals like the Forest Sloth and plants like Myconids, and even the Yellow Musk Creeper.

The South is separated from the rest of the world by a large, wide chasm, from one side of the island to the other, and all attempts at teleporting in have failed, as it seems to be secure against all methods of entry. Sometimes, being resistant to fire have tried to enter via the lava, although they never return. One place along the chasm, in the Central Zone, seems to be a major city of some creature or other, although nobody really knows. The chasm is also patrolled by unknown creatures, nicknamed Hellspawn, which fly around the chasm, killing any who try to fly across. The South has many rumours about it, from some saying it is where the gods live, to others which say that the Pit is the only way in.

Angels and Devils (basically summing up what we'd agreed so far)

You've got heaven as opposed to hell. Only two planes in existence. Heaven is ruled by a council of powerful angels, as is hell. With devils instead of angels, of course.

Neither plane is morally aligned with either good or evil, they're simply two very powerful races, unified for their own purposes. Thus, devils and angels battle each other, and it not wanting to destroy their own planes with war, they use the prime material one, I.E. the island, to wage battle against each other.

Both breeds are very much like the traditional idea, except, as noted, angels are not good inherently, and devils aren't simply evil for evils sake.

Angels are powerful, immensely beautiful, self-centered, rather vain and kind of racist, believing them to be the utmost superior race, with devils being violent, destructive creatures of many different proportions and forms, like standard hellish fantasy, but in no way are they more inherently evil than angels, they just fight them for superiority.

Both sides use the inhabitants of the material plane to fight, instead of directly doing it themselves, as they just choose not to get directly involved.

Recent News

In the North, the ANC (Alliance of Northern Cities) has been established, with about 10 cities and many small towns joined, and is looking to be a major power. In response, many of the the other Northern cities are either forming more alliances, or spreading elsewhere. For example, many Northern city-states now have started to fund expeditions to both the desert ruins and the Central Zone, hoping to find something to help tip the balance in their favour. Also, Western creatures are often brought in, as they all look for better creatures to use in war.

In the East, many of the beings from the ruins have started to spread outside the ruins. There have been reports of undead attacks, but the new funding and supplies from the North has meant most settlements still remain.

The West is slowly being explored, and new creatures are reported every day. Additionally, creatures are starting to be exported to other parts of the island, although they often break free, so Western creatures are starting to be found in other areas.

The Central Zone has started to expand, so all three other populated zomes are starting to get worried. Illithids have started to attack from their strongholds, taking people away.

The South is still unexplored, although you, have heard from other outsiders that the South is the land of the true gods, creators of both angels and devils, as well as the Prime. However, even attempts by outsiders to enter have failed.

You have just arrived at the gates of the city of Blank, the largest city in the North and not a member of the ANC. At the gate, you are stopped by a guard.

"Hello sir and welcome. Now, I just need to sort out some paperwork with you, so..."

He unclips the book that was hooked up to his waist, and opens it, pen in hand.

"Alright then. Name?"

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:09 PM
Tariel pauses, his eyes spreading wide, aghast by the fact that a mere guard would not quiver at his very presence. Then again, he is cloaked, his wings and angelic features hidden beneath heavy robes.

Looking down on the ground, hiding his gleaming eyes, Tariel speaks in the most insignificant voice he can muster, thinking it smarter to play it quiet for now.

Lucen. Lucen Littlehorn.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 02:15 PM
The guards scribbles it down.

"Alrighty then. Next is....place of origin?"

While he is talking, a man, clad in leather armour, starts to walk over.

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:22 PM
A sly smile spreads across Tariel's face - what peculiar lie to be telling, to deny the heritage of heaven in favor of privacy.

I hail from the west, where my father was a solitary hunter in the great woods.

No one would think to question the story of man so distant from civilization, he thought to himself.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 02:36 PM
The guard keeps on writing.

"The west, you say? Nice around there, but dangerous, although I suppose you know that already. I went there once - got attacked by vipers though. Had to spend a month's earnings for it to be all sorted out! OK, gender...reason for entrance?"

The other man is nearly with you.

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:39 PM
Eying the approaching man, Tariel mentally envisions his sword, readying himself to call it to his hand.

Business.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 02:42 PM
"Ah, well you see, I can't put that down, mate. I need specifics."

The other guy walks up to you, smiling.

"Hey, how are you doing, my friend? Steve, he's with me."

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:44 PM
Apathetically, Tariel didn't move a muscle as the stranger evidently came to his aid. Of course, the man wanted something for the favor, but then again, who didn't in this imperfect world of man?

Turning his head, Tariel took a good look at the newly arrived human, inspecting him from top to bottom.

Naturally.

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 02:47 PM
"Er...alright then. You're the boss. Just don't blame me when High Command stirs up a ****storm."

The man who helped you starts to walk off, saying as he walks:

"Come on, I'll show you around."

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:51 PM
Waiting until appropriate distance of the guard, Tariel starts looking around the surroundings, absorbing every detail, city-life, the man.

Looking in a random direction, he starts speaking in his usual deep, powerful voice.

I suppose you have a reason for pulling me away?

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 02:55 PM
The man chuckles.

"Of course, Tariel. You were about to get chucked out, and we can't have that now, can we?"

Edwin
2010-05-03, 02:57 PM
Tariel smiles, his eyes flaming up for just a second. Cracking his knuckles, he stops the man dead in his tracks with a powerful hand place on his shoulder.

You know my name?

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 03:02 PM
The man grabs your hand, pushing it off him. He seems to have about similar strength to you.

"Yes, of course I do. Tariel the Fiery, Betrayer of the Angels."

Edwin
2010-05-03, 03:04 PM
Where exactly are we at the moment? As in, how many people are around, inside, outsider? Where?

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 03:06 PM
You are currently in a narrow street, about 2 meters wide. Blank has many small roads criss-crossing it, with several major roads that are larger. There is nobody else around.

Edwin
2010-05-03, 03:11 PM
Unleashing his great wings, ripping through the brown robes like wet paper, Tariel rises but a few feet above the ground, only to slowly ascend a second later, now wielding his flaming sword.

His eyes almost literally ablaze, he thunders in a hoarse and low voice.

Reveal yourself, fiend..

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 03:19 PM
"Me? A fiend? Hahaha, that's funny. It's amazing how little you actually know."

His body starts to blur, and change. Where there was flesh, there now was metal. His body now seems to be mechanical, with gears and rivets. You can see steam coming out of his back. He also has grown, from your size to twice your size. His voice is monotone and emotionless.

"YOU ANGELS. THOUGHT THAT YOU AND THE DEVILS WERE THE ONLY ONES. BUT NOW YOU CAN SEE. YOU WERE WRONG."

Edwin
2010-05-03, 03:25 PM
Eyes wide, Tariel's wings drop, resting on his back. Drawing his sword into a defensive position, he looks up at the new form of the stranger.

Sweet lord, you have to be kidding me..

A sly smile spreads across his mouth.

Enlighten me then, buckethead, who, what, are you?

A more exact description of the guy would be neat

Volthawk
2010-05-03, 03:37 PM
"WE ARE THE INEVITABLES"

He seems to be made out of brass, although his head seems to be some kind of gold. He has iron rivets all around his body, and hands made out of steel. A spiked chain materialises in it's hands.

"NOW, YOU HAVE VIOLATED THE NATURAL ORDER. PREPARE TO BE ELIMINATED."

Edwin
2010-05-03, 11:42 PM
Waving his hand in a sweeping motion, a slight shimmer in the air around him materializes. Nodding, Tariel starts laughing, almost chuckling.

He takes a step forward, bringing him close to the "inevitable", staring it straight in the eyes(?).

I cast Mage armor, bringing my AC up to 19, before combat.

[roll0]

Volthawk
2010-05-05, 01:39 PM
The inevitable runs a distance away, before turning around, facing you 60ft away.