PDA

View Full Version : Making a tentacled horror.

druid91
2010-05-04, 08:25 PM
Well I got the idea of making a tentacled horror into my head so....

As for the creature, make a half-farspawn, human with the first two feats used on abberant heritage(flexible limbs) and Inhuman reach to qualify for Deepspawn.
This gets you four tentacles when in normal humanoid form, and can re-shape into a mass of tentacles for another two, so six tentacles. you have an additional five foot reach from inhuman reach though it costs a -1 to melee attack rolls. Flexible limbs and Deepspawn give you a +2 to grapple each.

So what else should I do to make a character who focuses on using tentacles to throw people across rooms, hit people, and otherwise make their day miserable.

I think multi-attack could be thrown in here some-where. but this is already pretty high, half farspawn is LA +4, and I don't see any mention of getting feats from the template, even so there are at least two feats guaranteed by human.

So any suggestions on how to make this more dangerous?

demidracolich
2010-05-04, 08:27 PM
Totemist with displacer mantle bound to totem, gives you another two tentacles.

Flickerdart
2010-05-04, 08:29 PM
The Illithid Heritage feats are a good way to get extra tentacle attacks. Voidspawn can give another one, I believe.

druid91
2010-05-04, 08:30 PM
The Illithid Heritage feats are a good way to get extra tentacle attacks. Voidspawn can give another one, I believe.

What are those in? the only void- thing that I know of in regards to ilithids is voidmind and that makes you a slave to the ilithids. It also acts independently of you.

Draken
2010-05-04, 09:29 PM
Psychic Warrior for Form of Doom gives another 4 tentacles.

And other Psychic Warrior stuff.

Arcane_Secrets
2010-05-04, 09:48 PM
Give it Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike from Draconomicon. This will allow it to make up to four attacks with each tentacle as if it was wielding a weapon, provided the BAB and Strength are high enough.

SamTheSane
2010-05-04, 09:54 PM
Changling + Warshaper?

Keld Denar
2010-05-04, 10:21 PM
Fuse Arms works with tenticles. The more tenticles you get, the more you can fuse for a massive bonus to Str which directly increases your grappling abilities.

Runestar
2010-05-04, 10:29 PM
Fuse Arms works with tenticles. The more tenticles you get

So close...just needed to replace the n with s and ... :smallbiggrin:

cenghiz
2010-05-05, 06:23 AM
More dangerous? Speak to your DM to have a custom baleful polymorph eternal wand that lets you polymorph unwilling targets to japanese schoolgirls... Twice a day, you're the ultimate doom for an opponent.

Amphetryon
2010-05-05, 06:32 AM
Obligatory Link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0). :smallsmile:

druid91
2010-05-05, 08:14 AM
More dangerous? Speak to your DM to have a custom baleful polymorph eternal wand that lets you polymorph unwilling targets to japanese schoolgirls... Twice a day, you're the ultimate doom for an opponent.

Do I want to ask....?

Flickerdart
2010-05-05, 08:39 AM
What are those in? the only void- thing that I know of in regards to ilithids is voidmind and that makes you a slave to the ilithids. It also acts independently of you.
Sorry, voidmind is the one I meant. And yes, there are some insignificant drawbacks.

BadJuJu
2010-05-05, 09:06 AM

Somehow you win AND lose.

druid91
2010-05-05, 09:14 AM
Sorry, voidmind is the one I meant. And yes, there are some insignificant drawbacks.

You call halving a good chunk of your brain eaten and replaced with psychic slime that gives you one limb(that acts autonomous of your will) and enslaves you to the ilithids forever an insignificant drawback?

Flickerdart
2010-05-05, 09:15 AM
You call halving a good chunk of your brain eaten and replaced with psychic slime that gives you one limb(that acts autonomous of your will) and enslaves you to the ilithids forever an insignificant drawback?
It worked just fine for the Emerald Legion.

druid91
2010-05-05, 09:17 AM
It worked just fine for the Emerald Legion.

Who were lead by mind-flayers. Oh almost forgot that it lets the ilithids manifest powers through you. also I was thinking of this as more of an adventurer build.

Eldariel
2010-05-05, 09:40 AM
Who were lead by mind-flayers. Oh almost forgot that it lets the ilithids manifest powers through you. also I was thinking of this as more of an adventurer build.

So you get a free gestalt into Psion. What's not to love?

druid91
2010-05-05, 09:42 AM
So you get a free gestalt into Psion. What's not to love?

Being constantly ordered to fetch brains.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-05, 09:43 AM
This can't end well.

Prime32
2010-05-05, 09:43 AM
Who were lead by mind-flayers. Oh almost forgot that it lets the ilithids manifest powers through you. also I was thinking of this as more of an adventurer build.Have another PC play an illithid. Or play an illithid and get this as a cohort thrall.

Flickerdart
2010-05-05, 09:44 AM
Thrallherd seems more like the mind flayer's style.

Amiel
2010-05-05, 10:42 AM
You could slap (slap, get it? oh ho ho) the pseudonatural template on it; depending on the iteration you use, this could completely unbalance the character or it could make it considerably more deadlier.

I'm unsure how the two synergise though; you may want to look into that.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) is the ELH's pseudonatural template; the other can be found in Complete Arcane.

druid91
2010-05-05, 10:54 AM
This can't end well.

Why not? were just taking an semi-ordinary human and making it into a tentacled horror.

Jair Barik
2010-05-05, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure there is at least one graft (maybe more) that gives tentacles that you could buy in place of magic items for further tentacleness.

druid91
2010-05-05, 11:10 AM
Well I'm actually not looking for more tentacles. I'm looking for a way to use them effectively.

Drogorn
2010-05-05, 11:54 AM
Anything where you benefit from having a large number of attacks should work fine. First thing that comes to mind is sneak attack, but there should be other ways to benefit as well.

TheThan
2010-05-05, 01:33 PM
Japanese schoolgirls will never be safe.

BloodyAngel
2010-05-05, 02:56 PM
Japanese schoolgirls will never be safe.

They were before? Between Tokyo blowing up every week, and all the crazed mecha, demons, vampires, aliens and all the train-riding perverts... I'm shocked that the shy and elusive Japanese schoolgirl has yet to go extinct. I think there's a discovery channel program about them coming out soon. When will people learn, nature must be cherished?

... wait. What were we talking about again?

druid91
2010-05-05, 03:01 PM
Don't forget the mutated monsters, and people with ridiculous choices in weaponry.

Its a thread about making a character that specializes in killing things dead with tentacles.

Person_Man
2010-05-05, 03:30 PM
I had a build a while back which abused this idea. Tentacles + Kensai + Spellthief + Arcane Strike. Kensai can enchant each of his tentacles with Spell Storing. Each of them is filled with a different nasty spell, which he can release as a free action when he makes a melee attack. Spellthief can steal spells every time he Sneak Attacks a caster, which he immediately burns with Arcane Strike to give himself an untyped bonus to hit and damage. The end result is a pretty impressive nova, with a supernova against any caster.

This link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595) will give you a comprehensive list of ways you can add tentacles. With the exception of Polymorph or Wildshape, there aren't any truly efficient ways to get more then 4 of them tough. The easiest method is to cast Fly on yourself and then change into a giant squid or something similar. Or you could use something like the Slime Lord PrC, which has all day Supernatural Alter Self. I'm sure you could find something suitably tentacled to change into in one of the monster manuals.

Eldariel
2010-05-05, 04:49 PM
I had a build a while back which abused this idea. Tentacles + Kensai + Spellthief + Arcane Strike. Kensai can enchant each of his tentacles with Spell Storing. Each of them is filled with a different nasty spell, which he can release as a free action when he makes a melee attack. Spellthief can steal spells every time he Sneak Attacks a caster, which he immediately burns with Arcane Strike to give himself an untyped bonus to hit and damage. The end result is a pretty impressive nova, with a supernova against any caster.

This link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595) will give you a comprehensive list of ways you can add tentacles. With the exception of Polymorph or Wildshape, there aren't any truly efficient ways to get more then 4 of them tough. The easiest method is to cast Fly on yourself and then change into a giant squid or something similar. Or you could use something like the Slime Lord PrC, which has all day Supernatural Alter Self. I'm sure you could find something suitably tentacled to change into in one of the monster manuals.

Combination of feats & Form of Doom can easily produce ~6+, though, which should be enough to truly start to get things done.

Keld Denar
2010-05-05, 08:14 PM
Having a dozen frenzying tenticles doesn't do you much good if you don't have a way to put them to good use. Once you get them, focus on getting bonus damage. Think like Sneak Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Divine Might, Arcane Strike, Str increases, Size increases, etc.

druid91
2010-05-05, 10:09 PM
What are the rules for throwing opponents? Are their any? Cause I have this awesome mental image of the tentacle guy walking down the hall to see the king some guard steps in the way and the tentacles come out and he gets thrown out a window.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-05, 10:41 PM
A totemist 2/psychic warrior with Illithid Grapple (x4), form of doom, (and a psicrystal using both), and Displacer Mantle (bound to the totem chakra) can get 18 tentacles he can use to attack. I enjoy using this on charging mounted builds, especially when dual-wielding lances (illithidic thri-kreen! and his little dog rock, too!). Tossing in Spirited Charge (and psionic lion's charge) nets you double-damage on the tentacles and triple-damage on the lances. This gets really sickening when you consider that this guy is Huge sized, and can add all sorts of bonus damage using soulmelds and psionic powers.

Add in that necklace that grants you weapon enhancements to your natural attacks for yet more fun.

Oh, and did I mention Talashtora? You can tentacle with your tentacles while you kick with your kicks.