PDA

View Full Version : Bash 'em, smash 'em, break 'em, crash 'em! [3.5 Race]

Lappy9000
2010-05-05, 10:42 PM
Wrecklings
Wrecklings are a bizarre and destructive offshoot of goblinoids known for gathering in large groups to spread havoc and pandemonium. Easily excited and agitated, wrecklings descend upon opponents with an almost possessed furor. Indeed, clusters of wrecklings have been known to level much larger armies or even small villages if sufficiently riled.

Wreckling
Wreckling, 1st-Level Warrior
Size/Type: Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 leather armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-6
Attack: Shortsword +2 melee (1d6-2)
Full Attack: Shortsword, +2 melee (1d6-2, plus Mayhem) and bite +2 melee (1d4-2, plus Mayhem)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Demolisher, mayhem
Special Qualities: Chatter wave
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will -1
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Enviroment: Any
Organization: Single, Breakers (4-9), Wreckers (10-40 plus 10% noncombatants), Rolling Apocalypse (50-500 plus 50% noncombatants and various goblinoids)
Challange Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class Favored Class: Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229)
Level Adjustment: +0

This creature looks like a maddened goblin, wielding surprisingly well-crafted weapon and armor. Its enormous mouth, seemingly too large for its head, grins ear to ear with pointy teeth, and its jet-black eyes have an insane glint in them as the creature twitches constantly with manic energy.

Wrecklings, despite being among the smallest, weakest, and most common of the goblinoid breed, are often capable of rising to higher ranks, although many prefer the bedlam of the front lines. Deviously intelligent an adept at weaponcrafting, the ability of the wrecklings to deal dangerous amounts of damage make them a formidable, if unpredictable, threat. Strangely, wrecklings have a unique affinity with sound waves, resulting in a natural defense against Sonic attacks.

In appearance, wrecklings look much like their goblin cousins, but much wilder, with their trademark twitchiness and eerie grins. Short in stature, wrecklings stand 2½ to 3 feet tall and weigh 30-40 pounds. Sporting mottled colorations of grey, bluish grey, brown, and white, wrecklings often have 'masks' of darker hues around their faces. Wreckling equipment is meticulously designed, despite a lack of focus on behest of its creators, and tends to involve unnecessary (and often useless) amounts of clockwork and mechanical elements.

Combat
Wreckling combat is just as chaotic as their personalities, as large groupings of wrecklings deal massive damage to enemy and ally alike, resulting in heavy casualties. When their fervor for fighting fades, wreckling use their high Intelligence to devise strategies making use of the natural destructive abilities of their race.

Chatter Wave (Su): Wrecklings constantly emit a low pitched chatter which imposes a -2 penalty on Move Silently checks, but has a strange effect on Sonic waves, making a wreckling less vulnerable to Sonic attacks (+2 circumstance bonus on saves).

Demolisher (Ex): A wreckling's attacks can overcome Damage Reduction or Hardness equal to 1 fourth their character level (minimum 1). This ability stacks with an engineer's Precision ability for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction or Hardness.

Mayhem (Ex): A wreckling attacking with a non-reach melee weapon deals an additional point of damage per damage dice to every creature within 5 ft. during a Full-Round action.

Wrecklings As Characters
Wreckling characters possess the following racial traits.
-4 Strength, +2 Intelligence: While quite weak physically, wrecklings are very cunning.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters those of Medium characters.
Goblinoid: Wrecklings are Humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
Speed: A wreckling's base land speed is 20 feet.
Unfocused: Wrecklings receive a -2 racial penalty on saving throws against Enchantment spells and effects.
Chatter Wave: Wrecklings constantly emit a low pitched chatter which imposes a -2 penalty on Move Silently checks, but has a strange effect on Sonic waves, making a wreckling less vulnerable to Sonic attacks (+2 circumstance bonus on saves).
Demolisher: A wreckling's attacks can overcome Damage Reduction or Hardness equal to 1 fourth their character level (minimum 1). This ability stacks with an engineer's Precision ability for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction or Hardness.
Mayhem: A wreckling attacking with a non-reach melee weapon deals an additional point of damage per damage dice to every creature within 5 ft. during a Full-Round action.
Smithy: +2 bonus on Craft (Weaponsmithing) checks.
Natural Attacks: Wrecklings have large, toothy mouths in the form of a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage. Wrecklings use their bite as their primary natural attack.
Automatic Languages: Goblin. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Gnome, Orc, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229).

Alternate Engineer Vocation

Acoustic Velocity
Prerequisite: Physics
Description: You can alter sound waves through the air, often to destructive effect. By spending 3 Innovation points, you can cast Hideous Laughter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hideousLaughter.htm), Shatter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shatter.htm), Sound Burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soundBurst.htm), or Ventriloquism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ventriloquism.htm) as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to half your engineer level.

The Tygre
2010-05-06, 12:02 AM
Didyou- Did you just make a Rankin Bass Return of the King reference? Either way, this is a really well put together monster/race. I really like it, and I kind of like the thought of a horde of Genghis-Khan/Engineers.

Lappy9000
2010-05-06, 10:19 AM
Didyou- Did you just make a Rankin Bass Return of the King reference?I'm sorry to disappoint, but I did not. It's weird, though, 'cause I keep seeing previews from some re-mastered version of them. (which part would the reference have been?)

Either way, this is a really well put together monster/race. I really like it, and I kind of like the thought of a horde of Genghis-Khan/Engineers.Thank you. I wanted some kind of chaotic minions that deal damage to large numbers of opponents (even themselves) that are available at lower levels.

I plan to throw a couple wrecklings at one of my parties soon, and I've always liked the idea of an army of Skaven-esque unpredictability. Mongol engineers fit the flavor quite well, I'd say :smallcool:

sigurd
2010-05-06, 11:58 AM
Mayhem: A wreckling attacking with a non-reach melee weapon deals an additional point of damage per damage dice to every creature within 5 ft. during a Full-Round action.

This seems confusing. Does the Wreckling hit every creature within 5ft?

Lappy9000
2010-05-06, 12:44 PM
This seems confusing. Does the Wreckling hit every creature within 5ft?Yup. Opponent, other opponents, allies. Mayhem could be potentially abusable, so I tried to penalize wrecklings a good bit.

The Tygre
2010-05-06, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I did not. It's weird, though, 'cause I keep seeing previews from some re-mastered version of them. (which part would the reference have been?)

There's a part in Return of the King where Sam convinces the Orc slaved-driver to take on a battalion of men. In usual Orc fashion, it consists of the whole troop just going "Kill them! Smash them! Bash them! Turn em' to bits! Skin em' alive!"

Mind you, this after the Orc musical number.

I'm not even kidding.

It's somehow horrible, surreal, and awesome all at the same time. Plus, your description kind of sounds like the Rankin Bass horde. Huge mouth, crazy look in their eyes, pointed teeth, and armor that actually looks well put together.

Lappy9000
2010-05-06, 09:04 PM
There's a part in Return of the King where Sam convinces the Orc slaved-driver to take on a battalion of men. In usual Orc fashion, it consists of the whole troop just going "Kill them! Smash them! Bash them! Turn em' to bits! Skin em' alive!"

Mind you, this after the Orc musical number.

I'm not even kidding.

It's somehow horrible, surreal, and awesome all at the same time. Plus, your description kind of sounds like the Rankin Bass horde. Huge mouth, crazy look in their eyes, pointed teeth, and armor that actually looks well put together.Weird. And awesome. Also, weird:smallconfused: