PDA

View Full Version : Is there a guide to homebrewing for 4.0?

StoryKeeper
2010-05-08, 05:18 PM
Sorry for having to ask, but a quick look around didn't show me one. Has anyone written up a guide to homebrewing classes (or other things) for 4.0 yet? I know that monsters are explained in one of the core books, but I can't seem to find anything regarding classes.

erikun
2010-05-09, 03:08 PM
Nope, not really. There are several guides dedicated to creating monsters (specifically ones that didn't like them having tons of HP and a small number of powers). Homebrewing races generally isn't hard, as it involves modeling them after PHB races, an interesting power, and a few feats.

Homebrewing 4e classes is a lengthy endeavor. I think I've only seen a handful attempts, and haven't seen a completed one yet. After all, you will need to create about 4 powers at each level for around 30 levels, along with class features and several paragon paths.

If you have a solid idea, then go ahead and start working on it. I doubt anyone has designed enough new classes for 4e to write up a guide on doing so, though.

StoryKeeper
2010-05-09, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the response and information. I had thought that this thread would just get lost a few pages back. :)

Gralamin
2010-05-09, 10:49 PM
I made a bit of one at some point, but there aren't many yet. Mostly because, other then monsters, it is either trivial or extremely difficult.

DiscipleofBob
2010-05-09, 11:42 PM
I'm making some attempts at classes (see sig) but it's a slow process. Here's a bit of what I've discovered.

1. Before you even start homebrewing a class, make sure the work will be worth it. Make sure the concept for the class can't be duplicated by something already in print. For example, making a Swashbuckler class just for the sake of making a swashbuckler wouldn't be a good idea, just because a Rogue can accomplish the same feat pretty easily. On the other hand, I've seen at least one person on this forum homebrew a Swashbuckler class that uses Charisma as its primary and various taunts as part of its mechanics. That actually is pretty unique.

2. Balance means everything, in more ways than one. An overpowered power makes the other powers of both the class you're working on and other established classes obsolete. An underpowered power is worthless to the class. If you're not sure, err on underpowered rather than overpowered, your players can always find ways to make the best of the tools available to them. A good way to come up with powers is to compare powers from similar roles and flavors to what you're used to, but at the same time you can't just clone all of your powers from another class.

3. Take your time. The most important things to focus on are the primary class features, the at-wills, and the level 1 encounters and dailies, as these powers will set the tone for the entire class's career. Remember, defenders usually mark one target and then have a unique punishment for if the mark does not attack them. They also have high survivability, including HP, healing surges, saving throws, and defenses. Leaders focus on bonuses, free attacks, HP, and temps for allies, and will have a class feature that lets the ally spend a healing surge. Controllers don't have any common class features, but they do tend to focus on either hitting multiple targets or disabling multiple targets. Attacks with wide areas and ranges, terrain control, and status effects are the controllers' shticks. Strikers are probably the hardest to make because there's a lot of math involved. You need to calculate damage per round of both your class and other currently published classes, making sure your HBed class is on par with other Strikers. Not higher than other Strikers as that just becomes broken, but too far under and there's no reason to play the class.

4. Personally, I'm only focusing on one tier at a time for playtesting purposes. I have yet to see if this is the best method for homebrewing, but it seems to be working so far. When you do playtest, make sure you write down everyone's actions, effects, and damage per round. I recommend a short one-shot with 3 or 4 encounters and 1 skill challenge (it's okay to railroad your players in these cases. For science.) You may also want to take the closest parallel to the homebrewed classes you made and trying out the same set of encounters with a "regular" party for a more direct comparison.

Any way, I fully support 4e homebrewing attempts on the forum. Good luck!

StoryKeeper
2010-05-10, 12:10 AM
Great advice. Thanks! I will take it into consideration. If you'd care to chime in on the project I will be working on, it should still be on the first page of the homebrew section. It's the 40k thing.

n00b killa
2010-05-10, 12:33 PM
3. Take your time. The most important things to focus on are the primary class features, the at-wills, and the level 1 encounters and dailies, as these powers will set the tone for the entire class's career. Remember, defenders usually mark one target and then have a unique punishment for if the mark does not attack them. They also have high survivability, including HP, healing surges, saving throws, and defenses. Leaders focus on bonuses, free attacks, HP, and temps for allies, and will have a class feature that lets the ally spend a healing surge. Controllers don't have any common class features, but they do tend to focus on either hitting multiple targets or disabling multiple targets. Attacks with wide areas and ranges, terrain control, and status effects are the controllers' shticks. Strikers are probably the hardest to make because there's a lot of math involved. You need to calculate damage per round of both your class and other currently published classes, making sure your HBed class is on par with other Strikers. Not higher than other Strikers as that just becomes broken, but too far under and there's no reason to play the class.

This is sound advice. I would also add that Leaders have a class feature that lets them heal and can be used twice per encounter (It is usually close 5 burst and adds 1d6 to the DMG healed).