PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Mindhunter PrC, a Psionic Exorcist-Knight [ToB, Psionic]

ErrantX
2010-05-08, 05:56 PM
This is based on the Quori Mindhunter class from Magic of Eberron and my distaste for its mechanics, yet I loved it's fluff and story. So I decided to remove the Quori references and broadened its scope, and then added some different mechanics to see what I got, and this is the result. PEACH!
-X
-----
The Mindhunter

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91472.jpg
Magrim Warbold, a Mindhunter

The tradition of the mindhunter is a rare breed of warriors who cultivate psychic powers for the purposes of hunting psychic entities from beyond the Material Plane. During their journey, the mindhunter finds that achieve this goal, they may empower themselves with the tools of the enemy by trapping one of them within the confines of their mind. The type of entity trapped varies, but the result is the same: a psychic exorcist who channels the might of their prisoner to continue their mission. This psychic gestalt grants many protections from those foes they face, as well as other psionic enemies, and the tools to root out and expunge their quarry without harming those innocents they possess.

Mindhunters hail from many different backgrounds and races, and most are multiclassed characters with roots in both psionic classes and martial adepts. Occasionally a single class psychic warrior will join their ranks through the martial study feat.
Hit Die: d6

Entry Requirements:
Alignment: Non-evil
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Knowledge (the Planes) 5 ranks
Feats: Iron Will, Narrow Mind
Psionics: Ability to manifest 1st level powers, including thought shield
Maneuvers: Ability to initiate at least one strike and one stance of the Diamond Mind discipline.
Special: Must be able to lure and defeat an evil-aligned outsider with the psionic subtype in dream-state combat.

Mindhunter
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers per Day

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Immunity to possess, psychic seep, sleepless mind|

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Extra power (psionic dismissal)|+1 level of manifesting class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Dual mind|+1 level of manifesting class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Hunting exorcist strike|+1 level of manifesting class

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Extra power (psionic dimensional anchor)|+1 level of manifesting class

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5|Dream knowledge|+1 level of manifesting class

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5|Stance of the shielded mind|+1 level of manifesting class

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6|Extra power (psionic ethereal jaunt)|+1 level of manifesting class

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Deep crystal nightmare blade|+1 level of manifesting class

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7|Avatar of dreams, extra power (dream travel)|+1 level of manifesting class[/table]

Maneuvers
{table=head]Level|Known|Readied|Stances
1st|
1|
0|

2nd|
0|
0|

3rd|
1|
1|

4th|
0|
0|

5th|
1|
0|

6th|
0|
1|

7th|
1|
0|

8th|
0|
0|

9th|
1|
1|

10th|
0|
0|
0[/table]

Class skills: Autohypnosis (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

Weapons and Armor proficiency: The character gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Powers Known: Beginning at 2nd level, a mindhunter gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of mindhunter to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a mindhunter, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of mindhunter for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.
If the character did not belong to a manifesting class before taking this prestige class, he does not gain manifesting levels.

Maneuvers: At each odd level, the mindhunter gains new maneuvers known from the Black Heron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100874), Diamond Mind, and Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your mindhunter levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd and 8th level you learn a new martial stance from the Black Heron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100874), Diamond Mind, and Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Immunity to Possession (Su): Due to the psychic gestalt of having a psionic entity locked within your mind, a curious side-effect to this is complete immunity to possession and a +4 bonus on saves against compulsion effects. The psychic defenses required to hold and cage such an entity secures your mind against these effects.

Psychic Seep (Su): The psychic gestalt of your mind allows you to tap your mental prisoner of its psychic essence to assist you by bolstering your power reserve. You may add 2 power points per class level to your power point reserve.

Sleepless Mind (Ex): The cost of keeping a mental prisoner is constant vigilance, and this means that there is no rest for the wicked. However, part of learning to build the psychic cage within your mind is structuring your mind to handle this strain. You no longer need to sleep, gaining immunity to sleep, but you must rest and meditate for 4 hours each night. Losing consciousness does not free your mental prisoner, and death returns the prisoner to its native plane.

Extra Power: You may add the listed to your powers known at the appropriate level.

Dual Mind (Ex): Due to having two minds within your own psyche, you are more capable of using this disharmony to your advantage. You may roll any Will save twice, taking the better of the results.

Hunting Exorcist Strike (Su): This fearsome maneuver is cause for all possessing creatures to know fear when a mindhunter draws near, as it has the capacity for removing them from the (un)willing hosts. This is a martial strike of 3rd level and of no particular discipline. By initiating this maneuver, you make a melee attack at a targeted possessed creature. All damage inflicted by this attack is spiritual in nature, harming only the possessing creature's hit points, and potentially stuns the possessing creature for 1d4 rounds (Will save DC 13 + Charisma modifier negates). Additionally, this maneuver allows for the initiator to manifest the psionic dismissal power as if Quickened without expending additional power points or psionic focus, and grants that power an additional +2 DC bonus.

Dream Knowledge (Ex): The psionic entity within your mind becomes more and more vulnerable to your abilities to extract power and energy from it, finally giving way to its memories and knowledge. By entering a minute long trance, the mindhunter may utilize the creature's memories for his own gain. This class feature works like bardic knowledge, save that you use your mindhunter level in place of bard level, and you receive a +2 synergy bonus to this roll by having 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (psionics) instead of Knowledge (history). While in this minute long trance, the mindhunter is effectively helpless. Additionally, due to this closeness with the entity, the mindhunter enjoys a +2 DC bonus to any power he manifests with the fear descriptor, due to intimidating characteristics of his prisoner.

Stance of the Shielded Mind (Su): This martial stance is a physical reflection of the internal prison that carefully traps the possessing outsider. This is a martial stance of 5th level of the Diamond Mind discipline. As a swift action, you may abandon the benefits of a stance you are currently in to adopt the benefits of this martial stance. You gain the benefits of being under the effects of a mindblank and gain a +2 bonus to AC and saving throws against psionic creatures. Additionally, creatures that manifest psionic powers or use psi-like abilities cannot do so defensively around you, and always provoke attacks of opportunity from you.

Deep Crystal Nightmare Blade (Su): This martial strike is the bane of many psionic foes, as it strikes them where the source of their power lies. This is a martial strike of 5th level and of the Diamond Mind discipline, and is readied as such. By initiating this maneuver, make a melee attack at a target psionic creature using your Concentration check as the attack roll. If successful, your melee attack inflicts double damage and deals your manifester level in damage to the creature's power point reserve.

Avatar of Dreams (Su): Having become truly a prison for the immortal outsider trapped within your mind, your body undergoes a strange transformation in which your form becomes permanently charged with psionic energies, effectively making you immortal and a creature of pure psionic means. You gain the aberration type and all racial traits of being an elan without losing your current racial traits, or memories associated with newly fledged elans. You retain all memories, classes (and abilities), and experience while gaining these new abilities. With this level of symbiosis with the entity within, your death causes the death of the imprisoned creature as well.

Doc Roc
2010-05-12, 10:15 AM
I love stance of the shielded mind. I'm kind of curious as to if you might be willing to break that sucker out into its own martial stance.

ErrantX
2010-05-12, 10:31 AM
I love stance of the shielded mind. I'm kind of curious as to if you might be willing to break that sucker out into its own martial stance.

What do you mean? It already is a martial stance already. Let me tweak the wording of it, I think I know what you mean, as I see I omitted a thing or two.

-X

Doc Roc
2010-05-12, 08:03 PM
What do you mean? It already is a martial stance already. Let me tweak the wording of it, I think I know what you mean, as I see I omitted a thing or two.

-X

Oh, I just want it as a wee take-away. I'd pay feats for that stance happily.

WoodenSword
2010-05-13, 02:05 PM
This is cool!

I suggest it advance the Manuevers as well as Manifesting