PDA

View Full Version : would a dwarf get 2 thirds cover from a tower shield

deephelldragon
2010-05-10, 01:34 PM
So a member in my group is a dwarf and he has a tower shield he says that because he is a dwarf with a tower shield he gets 2 thirds cover i do not belive that is true so can anyone tell me would he get the cover or if he is making it up. If he is can you think of a way that he would get this cover.

TheOOB
2010-05-10, 01:39 PM
He would not. the rules for tower shields do not change depending on your race. Besides dwarves are the same size as a human, what they lack in height they make up for in width.

Even a halfling doesn't get more cover because they use smaller tower shields.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-10, 01:39 PM
Dwarves are stockier and wider than most other medium creatures, so that makes up for the height difference. My answer is no.
-Xavez

Quirp
2010-05-10, 01:40 PM
I assume you are talking about D&D 3.x?
And your group member is wrong, cover is the same for everyone.

marjan
2010-05-10, 01:41 PM
So a member in my group is a dwarf and he has a tower shield he says that because he is a dwarf with a tower shield he gets 2 thirds cover i do not belive that is true so can anyone tell me would he get the cover or if he is making it up. If he is can you think of a way that he would get this cover.

There are no special rules for dwarves and tower shields. Tower shields can normally grant total cover, however you would need to give up your actions in round, you use it for cover.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-10, 01:41 PM
Throw the RAW at him: "Dwarves are medium-sized, and get no size-based bonuses or penalties". If he insists on being realistic about it, use the "short, but wide" argument brought above.

Anterean
2010-05-10, 01:42 PM
Nothing in the rules states that dwarves gets cover from tower shields.

You either get the Ac bonus like a regular shield, or Total Cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover).
Using the shield for total cover prevents you from attacking as well though.

edit : Epic ninja'ed

unre9istered
2010-05-10, 02:04 PM
In addition to the aforementioned lack of special rules about dwarves, there is nothing in the rules anywhere about 2/3 cover.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-11, 08:41 AM
In addition to the aforementioned lack of special rules about dwarves, there is nothing in the rules anywhere about 2/3 cover.

They may be playing 3rd Edition, where there was 2/3 cover, as well as 1/3, 1/2 and 9/10 cover.

They simplified it in 3.5, where there is only cover and total cover.

That, or I'm just plain wrong.