PDA

View Full Version : PrC Request - Favored of the Lady

acid_ninja
2010-05-12, 05:28 AM
I'd like some help building a prestige class for my homebrew setting. Its specifically for one of the characters - a cleric with favored soul-like flavor. I didn't like the favored soul class from the book (PHB II? Not sure. Anyway...).

Basically he is a cleric of The Lady Most Kind, goddess of Death and Passion (100 points if you know where I cribbed that from [and when is that damn third book coming out?]). But he didn't choose her, she chose him. For some reason she's enamored of him. When he prepares spells she comes to him in his dreams and offers him gifts. The gifts represent his spells for the day.

For a PrC I would like something that allows continued spellcasting progression (bear in mind that I'm using the spell point variant from UA - I know its imperfect but it beats Vancian and my players are all rookies so they don't know any better) and adds a few abilities to prevent him from dying. The concept is that, because the goddess of death grants him special protection, its very hard to kill him. He's not any harder to hurt but actually killing him is difficult.

I'm thinking a larger hit die, the Diehard feat and something like the rogue's defensive roll. The problem is I kind of suck at math and balancing things. That's where Los Gigantes (you guys) come in. How do I make this work without gimping his other abilities and still keep him balanced?

Cheers

Lix Lorn
2010-05-12, 07:04 AM
Well, I don't know how strong it might be, but how about live to -HP? It'd have to come as a capstone, or after a lost caster level to make up for it.
Immunity to Death Effects might also be good.

acid_ninja
2010-05-12, 11:08 AM
It doesn't need to be too strong. Like I said, they're rookies. Half the time they forget to use the abilities they have right now. I have to go pretty easy on them or it'd be TPK every week.

Just a little somethin somethin to make his character feel special. I may bag the whole PrC idea and just give him a unique item that does a lot of the same things.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-12, 11:45 AM
How about just 'doesn't die from damage?' You might have to throw a few more enemies with SoDs at them to stop it from being OBSCENELY strong... but it's flavorful. XD

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-12, 02:12 PM
How about just 'doesn't die from damage?' You might have to throw a few more enemies with SoDs at them to stop it from being OBSCENELY strong... but it's flavorful. XD

"Doesn't die from damage" is the equivalent of a permanent 4th level spell (delay death, SpC), so it's not too powerful. "Doesn't die and can keep acting way into the negatives" is that plus beastland ferocity, a 1st level spell, so that's still not too powerful for a capstone.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-12, 03:33 PM
(Bows) :smallredface:
I try my best.

Eurus
2010-05-12, 04:19 PM
"Doesn't die from damage" is the equivalent of a permanent 4th level spell (delay death, SpC), so it's not too powerful. "Doesn't die and can keep acting way into the negatives" is that plus beastland ferocity, a 1st level spell, so that's still not too powerful for a capstone.

Granted, that particular combination - especially when made undispellable - is considered to be a rather abusive combination by most groups I have experience with...

Lix Lorn
2010-05-12, 04:22 PM
Maybe make the acting into negatives something/day?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-12, 04:33 PM
Granted, that particular combination - especially when made undispellable - is considered to be a rather abusive combination by most groups I have experience with...

My point was that it's already something you can do fairly easily by lower levels (its acceptability notwithstanding), so making it a capstone you're not going to get until much higher levels isn't as obscenely strong as one might think. Heck, "Fort save to ignore a bunch of HP damage" is just one of several high-level ToB stances for a character with less of a divine link than a favored soul.

What I'd do in this instance would be along the lines of "whenever the character would go below 0 HP, he can activate this ability as an immediate action to stay alive in the negatives indefinitely and act normally for up to 1 round/class level." Something like Cha mod times per day probably wouldn't be out of line.

acid_ninja
2010-05-12, 09:57 PM
Sorry, don't really know how to do charts on this but here's what I'm thinking so far...

HD: d10
Same save and BAB as cleric
Qualify at 5th level (must be able to cast 3rd level spells)

1st level: Gain Diehard for free, no spellcasting progression
2nd level: normal cleric progression + delay death as spell-like ability 1/day
3rd level: Maybe give up spell points to gain a bonus to one save equal to spell points expended (max sp per use = character level) as an immediate action + spell casting progression (too powerful?)
4th level: Normal cleric progression
5th level: Defensive Roll (as rogue but uses will save)
6th level: Normal cleric progression
7th level: not sure
8th level: Normal cleric progression
9th level: not sure
10th level: Only dies when brought to - total hp, can act into negatives up to class level rounds, usable Cha mod per day