PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5 PrC]Shadow Shepherd[P.E.A.C.H]

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-12, 01:54 PM
Shadow Shepherd

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hn8n88RMOr8/SwyGGq6uhrI/AAAAAAAAB7M/ZDuXgbULnY8/s1600/280_PF_PUB_Facilier2_v2_1_CMYK.jpg_rgb.jpg

"Don't you disrespect me, little man! You're in my world now, not your world, and I've got friends on the other side..." Dr. Facilier, Shadow Shepherd.

Requirements:
Alignment: Any Non-good
Skills: Hide 13 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 13 ranks.
Spell-casting: Able to cast 3rd level spells
Sneak Attack: Sneak Attack +3d6

SHADOW SHEPHERD
{table=head]Level|BAB|F|R|W|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|My Shadow and Me|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|+1d6 Sneak Attack|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Shadow Form|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|+2d6 Sneak Attack|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Shadow Puppet|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Shadow Shepherd, +3d6 Sneak Attack|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The shadow Shepherds class skills are Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Move Silently, Search, Slight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Shadow Shepherd does not gains proficiencies with any weapons or armor.

Spells per day: At first level, third level and fifth level, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of shadow shepherd to the level of whatever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one spellcasting class before she became an shadow shepherd, she must decide to which class she adds each level of shadow shepherd for the purpose of determining spells per day.

My Shadow and Me (Su): A shadow shepherd’s shadow is his best friend, his greatest ally, and his most valuable tool. At first level, the shadow shepherd’s shadow becomes a separate entity. Capable of moving independently and even disconnecting from the shadow shepherd though he may never move more than 20ft for every level in the shadow shepherd class than the character possesses from the shadow shepherd. If the character had a familiar, that connection is broken and the shadow shepherd’s shadow takes the old familiar’s place. The shadow is not a physical creature and therefore cannot be damaged, though the shadow cannot act when exposed to direct sunlight or the effects of a daylight spell nor can it occupy or enter any square containing a source of light. Once again, though the shadow is not physical, it can affect other creatures by interacting with their shadows. The shadow may attack or affect any creature just like the shadow shepherd and uses the character’s statistics when attacking or performing any interaction with a creature. The shadow possesses non-magical versions of the shadow shepherds equipment. At third level, a shadow shepherd’s shadow can affect inanimate objects as well as living creatures by manipulating their shadow in the same manner. The shadow cannot interact with any creature occupying the same square as or possessing a source of light. If attempting to interact with an unwilling creature, the shadow must succeed on a melee touch attack in order to affect them. Additionally, unwilling creatures that succeed on a (DC 10 + 2x shadow shepherd level + primary casting ability modifier) may ignore the interaction. Though this ability requires a will save it is not mind affecting and therefore can be used to effect creatures immune to such abilities. Creatures who succeed this will save cannot be affected again by the shadow for 2d4 rounds. The shadow may use any extraordinary attack forms and abilities that the shadow shepherd can, but may not use spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. The shadow can move across any surface (even vertical surfaces) at a speed of 50ft, though it can only move to surfaces connected to whatever surface the shadow shepherd is currently standing on. A shadow shepherd’s shadow cannot act if the shadow shepherd is not resting on a surface (i.e. levitating, flying, submerged in water (though the shadow may move across the surface of water) etc…) Though a shadow may not reach a creature it may still attempt to effect that creature if its shadow is on a surface that thee shadow can reach. Example, a shadow may not be able to reach a bird as it flies though it may be able to reach its shadow.

Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If a shadow shepherd gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Shadow Form (Su): At 3rd level, a shadow shepherd can merge with his shadow becoming one with it. Do so is a full round action which does provoke an attack of opportunity. While in the state, the shadow shepherd is no longer a physical creature and exists only on surfaces exactly like his shadow did before the union. Like the shadow, the shadow shepherd cannot be affected or harmed physically, though he is still vulnerable to mind affecting abilities. In this state the shepherd can interact with the shadows or creatures and objects in the same manner his shadow could. The shadow shepherd in this form is 2 dimensional and can slip through spaces and cracks in the same manner as a creature affected by the gaseous form spell. The shadow shepherd using his shadow form ability is effected by light in the same manner as his was. Lastly, a shadow shepherd in this state loses access to any spell, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities or attacks he may have possessed when in physical form, though any magical equipment he possessed remains functional (including weapons and armor.) although they cannot be activated in this form. Magical equipment with a constant effect remain in effect though some effects may become moot.

Shadow Puppet (Su): The shadow follows the body. That is one of the fundamental laws of existence. At 5th level the shadow shepherd learns to extort that law. As a full round action, a shadow shepherd's shadow can merge with the shadow of another creature, manipulating it and forcing the creature to follow it s shadow’s actions. The creature must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + 2x Shadow Shepherd level + Primary casting ability) or fall under the control of the shadow shepherd. On the shadow shepherd’s turn, the controlled creature takes whatever action the shadow shepherd wants. The creature can be forced to move in any manner normally possible by the creature, attack in any manner normally possible by the creature, or perform any combat maneuvers normally possible by the creature. However the creature cannot be forced to use any spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities or attack forms it possesses. Though this ability requires a will save it is not mind affecting and therefore can be used to affect creatures immune to such abilities. This ability does not affect the creatures mind; therefore it may think and speak normally and may even cast spells that do not require somatic or material components and may use abilities that do not require physical action. Its movements seem jerky and forced and it may also warn other creature of incoming attack, as such creatures receive a bonus to AC and reflex saves against controlled creatures of +4. The creature is forced to act on the shadow shepherd’s turn and may speak, cast verbal spells, use abilities, and attempt to resist control on its own turn. The shadow shepherd cannot act while using this ability as it requires total concentration. He is considered flat-footed while using it. If the shadow shepherd takes any action while using this ability, he must make a concentration check (DC 10 + the controlled creature’s HD) or lose control. If attacked, the shadow shepherd must succeed on a concentration check to maintain control (DC = 10 + damage dealt). If control over a creature is ever broken (whether through the creatures resistance or a break in concentration) the shadow is shunted into an adjacent square and the target cannot be affected by this ability for another 24 hours.

Shadow Shepherd (Su): The shadow shepherd is a master of all shadows, not just his own, and may call the shadows of other creatures to his aid. Full-round action that does provoke an attack of opportunity, the shadow shepherd summons the shadows of all creatures within 50ft.; creatures within this range must succeed on a will save (DC = 10 + 2x Shadow Shepherd level + Primary casting ability) or lose control of their shadow. Called shadows function just like the shadow shepherd’s shadow using the statistics of the creatures that previously controlled the shadow and is capable of using any attacks and extraordinary attacks and abilities that the owner could, but not spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities or attacks. The shadow possesses non-magical versions of the owner’s equipment. The shadow shepherd may do this once per day and can maintain control over the shadows for a number of rounds equal to twice his shadow shepherd level.

{table=head]Level|Special
1st|Empathic Link, Alertness, Shadow Sight
2nd|Shadow Meld, Deliver touch spells
3rd|Speak with Master
4th|Eyes of Night
5th|Powerful Shadow
6th|Shadowy Transposition[/table]

Empathic Link (Su): The shadow shepherd and his shadow have an empathic link and can feel each other to the maximum distance to which the shadow can travel from the shepherd. The shadow shepherd cannot perceive information through the senses of the shadow. This link is limited and only general emotional content can be transferred through it.

Alertness: Whenever the shadow and its shepherd occupy the same square, both gain the benefit of the alertness feat.

Shadow Sight (Ex): Whenever the shadow and its shepherd occupy the same square, the shadow shepherd gains low light vision and can see twice as far in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Shadow Meld (Ex): The shadow shepherds shadow is indistinguishable from normal shadow. In any condition of illumination other than full daylight, The shadow can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will. Whenever the shadow shepherd occupies the same square as hiss shadow or whenever he is using his shadow form ability, he may also benefit from this ability.

Deliver Touch Spells (Su): a shadow shepherd's shadow can deliver touch spells for him. If the shepherd and the shadow are occupying the same square at the time the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his shadow as the "toucher." The shadow can then deliver the touch spell just as the shepherd could. As usual, if the shepherd casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.

Speak with Master (Su): The mental link between the shepherd and his shadow strengthens. The shadow shepherd can now speak telepathically with his shadow so long as it remains within the maximum distance the shadow can travel from the shepherd.

Eyes of Night (Su): The bond between the shadow and its shepherd reaches its pinnacle. The shepherd can not see through the “eyes” of its shadow out to the maximum distance the shadow can travel from the shepherd.

Powerful Shadow (Ex): The shadow shepherd's shadow becomes stronger. The DC to resist interaction with the shadow increases by 4.

Shadowy Transposition (Su): Though separate the shepherd and his shadow are truly one being. Once a day as a full-round action, the shepherd may swap places with his shadow. Objects carried by the shepherd and the shadow are carried along when the positions are swapped.

Just watched the Princess Frog, and i like the character Dr. Facilier. Im not very good at homebrew but I thought I'd give it a shot. Seems very over powered to me.

Uhhh....yeah.

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-12, 09:31 PM
So, 8 hours 40 views and nothing. Not even a

"This seems fine."
or a
"They just let you wander round the internet without a helmet or a bib or anything?"

Sereg
2010-05-12, 10:45 PM
So, 8 hours 40 views and nothing. Not even a

"This seems fine."
or a
"They just let you wander round the internet without a helmet or a bib or anything?"

Hey, some people have just woken up.

Anyway, I like the feel. It might be worth it to allow shadowcasters to get in as well. As for balance, sorry, but I don't trust my ability to judge that.

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-12, 10:47 PM
Hey, some people have just woken up.

Anyway, I like the feel. It might be worth it to allow shadowcasters to get in as well. As for balance, sorry, but I don't trust my ability to judge that.

Shadowcasters?

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-12, 10:48 PM
It's generally taboo to make a PrC with more than one caster level lost. Sometimes two is good. I haven't exactly looked over the class features, but just thought I'd make that comment after looking at the table.

EDIT: @^:Tome of Magic?

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-12, 10:57 PM
It's generally taboo to make a PrC with more than one caster level lost. Sometimes two is good. I haven't exactly looked over the class features, but just thought I'd make that comment after looking at the table.

EDIT: @^:Tome of Magic?

I realize that, but the class abilities are so strong i didn't feel right making it any higher. I've never read tome of magic.

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-12, 11:04 PM
I realize that, but the class abilities are so strong i didn't feel right making it any higher. I've never read tome of magic.

Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you when Dragoon comes around. Also, in My Shadow and Me, Shadow Form, and the Powerful Shadow abilities the old name didn't get changed. And as is, the Shadow Shepherd can never use his shadow unless its nighttime or he's in a cave.

And I don't feel confident my ability to fully critique the class so I won't.

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-12, 11:12 PM
Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you when Dragoon comes around. Also, in My Shadow and Me, Shadow Form, and the Powerful Shadow abilities the old name didn't get changed. And as is, the Shadow Shepherd can never use his shadow unless its nighttime or he's in a cave.

or when hes in a illuminated room or a shadowy alley. I may have typed it all stupid but that was the intent. Ill try and fix it.

Edit: Ok, changed space to square which was the intent.

Temotei
2010-05-12, 11:13 PM

Unless there's no source of light to make objects and creatures give off shadows, in which case the shadow is useless.

Sereg
2010-05-12, 11:28 PM
I've never read tome of magic.

Understandable. I've only very recently got a copy myself. It just fits the flavour well. Oh well, it's easily adapted anyway.