PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Build me a Valenar Warrior

Oracle_Hunter
2010-05-12, 05:19 PM
In a 4e Eberron campaign, I am playing a Half-Elven Barbarian (Aeriyana). Her backstory is that her mother was a Valenar warrior and, ultimately, she was exiled from Valenar territory.

As this was my first Eberron campaign, I didn't have a firm grasp of the background of the setting - but the DM said this backstory was fine, so I went with it.

Lately, I've been trying to find more information on the culture and traditions of the Valenar - and I'd love it if anyone could point out some good sources - but that's not really the point of this post.

Since I've had the Valenar on my mind, I've been playing around with Character Builder to figure out what a good build for an actual Valenar warrior would be. But, try as I might, I can't find one which has synergy, much less a sense of mechanical unity.

Well, I've given up trying myself, so I throw myself on the mercy of the Playground to come up with a decent build.

Guidelines
Requirements
- Elf (obviously)
- LV 1 Feat = Double Scimitar Proficiency
- Mounted Combat should be taken before Paragon
- Not Hybrid

Suggestions
- Martial & Primal look like the most appropriate Power Sources to me. Under the Primal fluff there's a lot of talk about the reincarnation of ancestors and of being energized by their spirits. Considering the Valenar (as I know them) this seems to be a good fit.
- I'd prefer a multiclassed build if possible, with the caveat that the MC needs to make sense, from a fluff perspective
Build-wise, I'd like to see at least a LV 1 and a LV 11, though a LV 21 would be nice as well.

Oh, and no need to worry about item selection or whatnot - I'm just curious about what sort of "permanent features" a Valenar Warrior would have.

cupkeyk
2010-05-12, 07:18 PM
Dragon 385 has winning races: elves detailing the valenar elves including a feat, valenar weapon training, that lets you get superior weapon proficiency with double scimitars, scimitars and falchions as well as a scaling bonus to damage. The Valenar Dervish Styles are also nice.

Level 1
Rumi, level 1
Elf, Ranger Beast Mastery

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 08, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 08, Wis 12, Cha 10.

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature, Endurance, Insight, Perception

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training

POWERS
At will: Dual Strike
At will: Predator Stike
Encounter: Fox's Cunning
Daily: Hunter Bear's Trap

Use the cat stats or the wolf stats for your pony. It's too small to ride at this point.

At level 2, take Vistani Heritage. Take Yield Ground. Both the Valenar and the Vistani are nomadic so this seems an appropriate mix anyway.
AT level 3, Take Disruptive Strike.
At level 4, take Vistani Pathfinding. Now you can cast Beast Growth at no cost once per day! Now you can ride your horse.
At level 5, Frenzied Skirmish
At level 6, Mark Of Handling. You get the benefits of Mounted combat and extra bonuses. Who cares if you're not a half elf. Get Weave through the Fray.

That's it for now.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-05-12, 10:41 PM
A nice start, but some problems:
- the Mark of Handling is House Vadalis - a human-only House
- Vistani are, IIRC, from Ravenloft. I'm not certain they'd be appropriate for Eberron.

Thanks for pointing out the Dragon feat - missed that one somehow. I wonder why it isn't in the Eberron book :smallconfused:

I probably should have been clearer in the OP - I'm looking for a fluff-consistent build first, made as mechanically interesting as can be.

EDIT: Also, a nice idea about making the horse the Beastmaster's Animal Companion. I know the Character Builder has a Valadis-Griffon in it... does it have any horses or similar mounts?

cupkeyk
2010-05-12, 10:58 PM
Page 86 of the Eberron's Player's Guide specifically allows non-members of the race to take the dragonmark feats. It implies that it is an abberrant mark with effects similar to an mark a house is associated to. Like that Rat halfling girl in The Dreaming Dark Trilogy. And page 79 of Dragon 380 says Vistani can fit in any campaign. Maybe one of the wanderers was a distant ancestor;p or as i mentioned beforehand, the valenar are already a nomadic race anyway. I like the idea that your horse is smaller but your blood magic makes it a powerful mount. You took pity on a herd's runt, maybe. And as it was about to be culled, you took it for your own and for you alone, the runt is a majestic steed. Nothing is un-fluffy. In fact I took that into consideration first.

Also, a nice idea about making the horse the Beastmaster's Animal Companion. I know the Character Builder has a Valadis-Griffon in it... does it have any horses or similar mounts?

Sorry, but no; the only viable mounts are for halflings and gnomes as per the may update. You will have to refluff one of the existing ones. That's why I find the beast growth ritual necessary. I know for a fact that a valadis griffonrider has to be a member of the dragonmarked house though.

If you absolutely cannot abide using the vistani feats, Either Ritual Caster(get beast growth) or Practiced Study (get use scroll) will do but its gonna be expensive.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-05-12, 11:01 PM
Hmmm.... fair points.

Still, I was aiming more for (if you will) a "generic" Valenar warrior. Y'know, someone who is actually Valenar instead of a freaky aberrant-marked halfbreed :smalltongue:

cupkeyk
2010-05-12, 11:10 PM
Hmmm.... fair points.

Still, I was aiming more for (if you will) a "generic" Valenar warrior. Y'know, someone who is actually Valenar instead of a freaky aberrant-marked halfbreed :smalltongue:

Well swapping over Mounted combat for Mark of Handling only loses you the bonus to speed and the ritual caster or practiced study can replace the vistani feats.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-05-12, 11:14 PM
Well swapping over Mounted combat for Mark of Handling only loses you the bonus to speed and the ritual caster or practiced study can replace the vistani feats.
Excellent...

Say, any ideas for a good PP? That's another point that I got stuck on.

cupkeyk
2010-05-12, 11:18 PM
The one that screamed valenar elf to me was blade banshee. Not optimal, but the name tells me that this guy is from persia and he's a dervish on his ay-raab horse.

Colmarr
2010-05-14, 06:55 AM
Here's my level 1 version:

Heian, level 1
Elf, Fighter
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Background: Valenar (Acrobatics class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 12
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +7, Athletics +7, Acrobatics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance -1, History, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion, Stealth +3, Streetwise -1, Thievery +3

FEATS

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter encounter 1: Distracting Spate
Fighter daily 1: Harrier's Ploy

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Double Scimitar, Hide Armor, Riding Horse

Level 11 version:

Heian, level 11
Elf, Fighter, Shock Trooper
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Background: Valenar (Acrobatics class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 12, Dex 21, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 23 Will: 20
HP: 87 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +13, Athletics +13, Acrobatics +14, Nature +15, Perception +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +5, History +5, Insight +8, Intimidate +4, Religion +5, Stealth +9, Streetwise +4, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 2: Two-Blade Warrior
Level 4: Warrior of the Wild
Level 6: Mounted Combat
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 11: Cruel Cut Style

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter encounter 1: Distracting Spate
Fighter daily 1: Harrier's Ploy
Fighter utility 2: Close the Gap
Fighter encounter 3: Hesitation Slash
Fighter daily 5: Nimble Bladestorm
Fighter utility 6: Practiced Rider
Fighter encounter 7: Twofold Torment
Fighter daily 9: Murderous Assault
Fighter utility 10: Into the Fray

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Warhorse, Magic Earthhide Armor +3, Dynamic Double Scimitar +3, Amulet of Protection +2

Notes:

Equipment is not a recommendation. It's simply there to allow comparison of the AC and defence numbers.

The changes to double weapons made the double-scimitar iffy for tempest fighters. There are a few single-attack powers in this build, and in most cases you're better off using the off-hand end so you get the Tempest Technique bonuses; unless:

You convince your DM to let you wield the main end of the double scimitar in your off-hand. The Two-Weapon Warrior feat allows you to use a full-sized weapon in your off hand "as though it were an off-hand weapon". If he does, doing so then triggers the damage and attack bonuses from Tempest Technique and the damage die increase from Shock Trooper for both ends of the weapon. It doesn't work in the Character Builder but IMO it should.

The character is generally built as a mobile second defender, very much in the vein of hit and run light cavalry.

The Eberron CG has rules for Valenar steeds in it. They don't show up in my builder, but I haven't updated for a while so maybe it's just my version. They cost 360gp and are a level 2 skirmisher. Fairly unremarkable except that they're speed 10 and can shift 2 once per encounter as a move action. That would certainly make for a very mobile defender. Good luck keeping one alive at level 11 though. Perhaps convince the DM to allow it to level up with you?

ShaggyMarco
2010-05-14, 11:27 AM
My Design Philosophy Behind this Valenar:
A. The Double Scimitar is not a great weapon for damage dealing, so Monk avoids using any but the best of the Double Scimitar's traits.
B. Elves ARE awesome in mobility, so are monks.
C. Wisdom and Dexterity are both key stats for Monks.

How to Play Him:
You are a Mobile Striker/Controller. You should be able to 1. get to the enemies that need to be hit 2. Be able to hit them and their friends, and 3. Move yourself and the enemy around enough to usually have terrain advantage.

Level 1: ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Elf, Monk
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath
Background: Valenar (+2 to Acrobatics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 19, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +9, Athletics +5, Acrobatics +11, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History -1, Insight +3, Intimidate, Nature +5, Religion -1, Streetwise, Thievery +4

FEATS

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
Monk at-will 1: Dragon's Tail
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk daily 1: Masterful Spiral

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Double Scimitar
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Notes: Five Storms is your multi-target at-will. Dragon's Tail is your escape plan/single-arget at-will. Drunken Monkey is funny and effective especially during the fight you decide to use Masterful Spiral, opening up the range of Dragon's Tail and Drunken Monkey.

Level 11:====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Elf, Monk, Ghost Walker
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
Background: Valenar (+2 to Acrobatics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 9, Wis 20, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 28 Fort: 22 Reflex: 24 Will: 23
HP: 76 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +16, Athletics +10, Acrobatics +18, Perception +18, Nature +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +7, Heal +10, History +4, Insight +10, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Streetwise +5, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 2: Mounted Combat
Level 4: Warrior of the Wild
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Melee Training: Dexterity
Level 11: Fleet-Footed

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Dragon's Tail
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk daily 1: Masterful Spiral
Monk utility 2: Supreme Flurry
Monk encounter 3: Twin Thunders
Monk daily 5: One Hundred Leaves
Monk utility 6: Practiced Rider
Monk encounter 7: Strike the Avalanche
Monk daily 9: Crane Dance
Monk utility 10: Incredible Stride

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Double Scimitar
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Notes: You don't have lots of good PP options here, but Ghost Walker makes for an interesting take on Valenar Ancestor Worship: Maybe your patron ancestor was a great Death-mage, and he has gifted you with the ability to see souls off, along their way. Ghostwalker's Action is awesome with your Close attacks at Weakening lots of enemies. Of two Worlds keeps you mobile, and makes it easy to have concealment.

Warrior of the Wild gives you Nature Training and a big damage boost 2 rounds/fight. Versatile Expertise, Unarmored Agility, and Melee Training are all very unsexy feats that let you do what you do without stinking at it. Fleet-footed, combined with monk movement powers, makes you faster than a speeding bullet. If you could get your DM to house rule applying Ancestral Battle Accuracy to attacks made through a Ki Focused weapon, take that instead at 11 (That may be too good, though).

All of your non Close powers are Melee touch, so they benefit from Masterful Spiral. Lots of your powers are multi-target, letting you deal good damage to a wide range of targets. You have legendary mobility, and Practiced Ride makes getting on/off your horse easy.

The biggest issue: When you are mounted, I know you use one set of actions to do everything. If you use powers that let you shift or move, does that let your MOUNT move? If you are shifting "Your Speed," is it your speed or the mount's speed? If you are shifting "Your Dex-modifier squares" whose Dex do you use? Running around the battlefield on a Valenar Warhorse striking and locking-down enemies would be pretty epic.

No, this build is NOT optimized, but it's pretty awesome in my opinion.