PDA

View Full Version : World Legends/History - Dwarf Fortress

Benejeseret
2010-05-14, 01:47 PM
I am starting a campaign this weekend where players will start lvl 1 exploring ancient dwarven ruins of a fallen fortress.

But, for the first session I want to have them actual PLAY the ancient dwarves as the fortress fell. Thus, they create their own Legends. The entire point of this fight is to kill the characters (heroes/legends) but to do it in extreme style which leaves behind bodies, damage, and clues that their level 1 characters can then discover years and years later.

But I need some help coming up with inspiration and mechanics as I need to kill these dwarves (eventually) but I need it to go back and forth so that every death is meaningful and satisfying in its own right.

Aiming for ECL 12 - need monster/theme suggestions

Reynard
2010-05-14, 02:01 PM
Dig Deep.

DF Spoilers:
Unleash Hell. Have them breach the Addy pipe to Hell itself, then find/stat D&D equivalents for all the many types of the demons that will swarm them and eat their kidneys.

Stryke
2010-05-14, 02:09 PM
Map the ruins inner sanctum as it was in the time of glory and have them try to defend it with pre made characters given to them by you. throw in some break throughs or "seal of the corridor" scenes, then have them fight a last stand in the throne room and fudge a few rolls against some big monsters to make them seem more heroic.
heres a few other fun ideas, have a lieutentant say something like "we cant pull our forces back in time to close the gate", with a few hints this will result in a "go i'll hold them off" situation and once that PC is isolated do some one on one with him/her until they die. if you manage this with each player with diffrent situations each player get a special and unique death and by going one on one and giving each death your full attention you'll create a death that will stay with the PC's for years to come. it will also give you some great ideas for scenes the PC's find as there latter characters.
Also try running tha final battle completely indapendantly of the campaign, say some thing like "guys i came up with this awsome idea, would you mind playing it before we start the campaign it'll only take an hour of two that leaves planty of time for the first adventure" that way when on of the PC's clicks that the two are related its a nice suprise and as they were un aware of the connection they'll write an completely unbiased legend for you to work into the campaign.
Have them find the corpse of one for the dwarfs they played with a red feathered arrow through his skull, then they'll take great satisfaction in killing the goblin ranger that uses only red feathered arrows(make him out to be a decendant) as a mini boss. this may not work depending on the time line of your campaign but it's an idea that can be adapted, maybe the ranger is using the ruby encrusted hammer one of the PC's thought was so cool