PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Experiment: Removing prepared full casting

Caphi
2010-05-15, 10:12 AM
As the topic. I have a suspicion that striking the ability of certain classes to produce virtually any magical effect in the game with minimal resource expenditure at full power is a very major source of D&D3's, well, D&D3-ness. But first, I need to iron out some issues.

1) What happens to wizards? You can adapt the cleric and the druid, and the UA has rules to do so (mostly consisting of "make it a sorceror"), but the wizard has a flavor of study and research that I'd like to keep, but requires the spellbook. I'm thinking of tightening the spellbook rules somehow, but I want to see if anyone else has thoughts.

2) If the game is balanced based on spell progression at level (2n-1), should I shift the sorceror's, cleric's, and druid's slots and spells known down a level so their progression is on par with vanilla full casters? Remember, the goal here isn't to try and even out melee and magic, just to remove the silly amounts of spell selection prepared casters enjoy.

3) Suggest other issues. This is probably a silly idea and I'm open to concerns and criticism.

Roderick_BR
2010-05-15, 10:24 AM
An option would be to fuse the two classes' mechanics. Use the sorcerer as a base, then add the spellbook, allowing him to change his spells known list on a daily basis. It's kinda the idea used for the Spell Points variant.
If you want an additional nerf, you could use the AD&D preparing version, requiring whole 10 minutes per spell level (5 min. for cantrips) to change each spell in your spell list, meaning that replacing all your spells may take more than a day in higher levels.
For clerics and druids, check the favored soul (don't remember the book now), for how they made the spontaneous divine caster.

Pluto
2010-05-15, 10:35 AM
I do this in my games (banning or limiting anything with a bottomless ability list).

I drop the Wizard completely and implement the UA Incantation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) system. It allows the concept to remain, limits its overall power and it can act as a nice hook for sidequests and adventures.

I've been doing this for a couple years and haven't had any problems yet, beside a bit of extra homework.

Nero24200
2010-05-15, 12:05 PM
You could employ a Truename-esc mechanic, where wizards can certian bonuses if they attempt to research the "Truename" of a certain creature. It would certainly encourage the Book-Worm idea behind the wizard, though it also adds a specific peice of fluff that may or may not fit in some campaign settings.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-05-15, 12:33 PM
OP=Nerf Tier 1

Next problem, Psions